• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

KePoW

Banned
That first match he must have healed like 50 HP and STILL died to the Hunter.

I mentioned it here, but a couple weeks ago I played against a Druid who used two Healbots *and* Tree of Life when he was down to single-digits health

and I still won hahahah. I certainly did not expect it and I bet the Druid thought I would concede after the ToL. but I ended up winning , probably my greatest win as Face Hunter

KePoW

Banned
I was surprised that the face hunter in the second game toughed it out to the bitter end even though you could see maybe a few turns in advance that he was facing a losing proposition. I would've expected him to concede earlier.

Face Hunter never gives up

at least I don't

Levi

Banned
Face Hunter never gives up

Face Hunters are notorious for conceding early. Played a taunt and they don't have an owl, golem, or hunter's mark? Concede. Stole their explosive trap? Concede. Played a healbot? Concede. The whole point of that braindead deck is the games are fast. Why risk a loss in a long game when you can win 3 to 5 short games in that same time period?

KePoW

Banned
Face Hunters are notorious for conceding early. Played a taunt and they don't have an owl, golem, or hunter's mark? Concede. Stole their explosive trap? Concede. Played a healbot? Concede. The whole point of that braindead deck is the games are fast. Why risk a loss in a long game when you can win 3 to 5 short games in that same time period?

I don't know about other Face Hunters, but I don't give up. The only time I concede is if I will literally get killed the next turn

Believe it or not, I don't play Face Hunter because of ranking time. I could not care less about my rank, because I only play maybe 2 games per day average (some days I don't even play)

I actually play Face Hunter because it's the most fun type of deck to me

Rapstah

Wow KePoW, you're really brave for playing the easiest deck and pretending it's not the easiest deck.

2f0.gif

clav

I don't know about other Face Hunters, but I don't give up. The only time I concede is if I will literally get killed the next turn

Believe it or not, I don't play Face Hunter because of ranking time. I could not care less about my rank, because I only play maybe 2 games per day average (some days I don't even play)

I actually play Face Hunter because it's the most fun type of deck to me

Face Hunter can be fun once in a while, but every time?

I don't typically enjoy playing aggro decks but I'd much rather play something like mech Mage or Zoolock over face Hunter. Having absolutely zero two way interaction unless there's a taunt up isn't something I'd ever find enjoyable in Hearthstone.

Zemm

A face hunter just added me and called me a bitch because I beat him. A face hunter, haha. Pretty sure 99% of the people who play that deck/class are massive man babies and/or children.

KePoW

Banned
Wow KePoW, you're really brave for playing the easiest deck and pretending it's not the easiest deck.

hahha -- note that I have never said anything about it being hard to play or not braindead

I only said "fun"

in fact, I would 100% agree it's the easiest popular deck to play. No doubt. that's actually why I like it, I don't play video games to think, I play them for fun

KePoW

Banned
I don't typically enjoy playing aggro decks but I'd much rather play something like mech Mage or Zoolock over face Hunter. Having absolutely zero two way interaction unless there's a taunt up isn't something I'd ever find enjoyable in Hearthstone.

I also play Agro Paly and just started Mech Mage recently

haven't tried Zoolock yet

but I'll play any agro deck, they are most fun

Dahbomb

Man, it's ok to have a bad but fun card, but that card is really, really, really bad. So bad, I don't know how anyone can have fun with it in any situation.
You can have fun with it.

*Hope the opposing Priest plays Mind Games and it pulls out a Majordormo.

*Hope the opposing Priest plays Thoughtsteal and steals your Majordormo then you Ancester's Call it on the field.

*When the opponent plays Sylvanas, you play Majordormo and kill their Sylvanas.

Basically you try to give your opponent the card so you can kill them quickly.

ViviOggi

This turn was literally impossible to complete, didn't even see the stupid piece of shit slime before the rope ended

Against any other minion I could have simply queued the Frothing into face

Belcher animation sped up my FUCKING ass

Cat Party

It's been said many times, but face hunter and other aggro decks are necessary to balance the meta. The current balance may not be ideal, but it's better than letting the people with ultra high budget decks dominate without difficulty.

Zemm

It's been said many times, but face hunter and other aggro decks are necessary to balance the meta. The current balance may not be ideal, but it's better than letting the people with ultra high budget decks dominate without difficulty.

I think there needs to be a better way to balance this than having decks that are just 'face face face, leave your brain at the door'.

I don't believe anyone when they say it's fun to play, not after the initial 'lols' has worn off anyway. There's zero depth and no nuance to the gameplay.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Mad Scientist is the only problematic card in the deck IMO.

Some people point to Kill Command but I think it's fine. It's budgeted appropriately. Fireball is worse, really.

clav

Mad Scientist is the only problematic card in the deck IMO.

Some people point to Kill Command but I think it's fine. It's budgeted appropriately. Fireball is worse, really.

The fact that fireballs can ignore taunts just make them game breaking.

Also counter-spell needs to be a minion.

We had some Mage users complaining about Kill Command, and now we know why.

Rapstah

I've never heard of either of the casters in this Kinguin """"charity"""" tournament. Judging by the amount of moderation going on in chat, neither have most of them.

Hektor

Should i put Bolvar in my Dragon-pala? He is a dragon after all...

I hope this joke has not been made yet.

hahha -- note that I have never said anything about it being hard to play or not braindead

I only said "fun"

in fact, I would 100% agree it's the easiest popular deck to play. No doubt. that's actually why I like it, I don't play video games to think, I play them for fun

Sincere question, why do you play a cardgame, a turn-based strategy game if you dont wanna think? That doesnt make any sense imho.

ZealousD

Should i put Bolvar in my Dragon-pala? He is a dragon after all...

People joke but i don't even think he's that bad of a card. The 5 slot is just really competitive and he only fits into Control Paladin IMO.

KePoW

Banned
I don't believe anyone when they say it's fun to play, not after the initial 'lols' has worn off anyway. There's zero depth and no nuance to the gameplay.

maybe you should be a more open-minded person? You really think every single person in the world likes the same exact playstyle you do? I mean cmon

I'm dead serious that I find it the most fun to play. Again keep in mind that I'm very casual and do not care about competition in video games. I don't take Hearthstone seriously and don't play that much, it's just casual fun

Why do I want heavy thinking or complicated depth in video games? That's not why I game anymore

Another example, Pillars of Eternity. I'm playing that right now but I barely do any sidequests and don't read anything. I skip through probably 75% of the dialog, because there's just way too much text. I just like the combat & fights mainly

People play games for different reasons. If I were as close-minded as some of yall, I would lobby the devs to get rid of all Control decks. But I don't care and don't ask for that... because I realize people like to play different styles

Some of the posters here only want HS to be played with the one type of deck they personally like

whats great about face hunter is you dont need to guess what the trap is
laugh.gif

I changed around some cards in Face Hunter to beat Heroic Omokk since Worgen Infiltrator and Leper Gnome really don't do a whole lot when they get killed for free. One of the things I added was Misdirection so that his minions would kill each other, but they never did, they always hit him in the face. This was especially hilarious when he dropped two Abusive Sargents on his Dunemaul Shaman and smacked himself for 9 damage, tripping an Explosive Trap in the process that cleared the rest of his board. It got me thinking that Misdirection might actually be a good card for Face Hunter for when the other guy clears your board and then goes to set off your Explosive Trap and winds up smacking himself instead.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'll probably try dragon paladin later today. Only legendary dragons are Ysera and Malygos but that should be alright backed with Tirion, Emperor, and Dr. Balanced.

Even if I have no real synergy with Malygos I'm guessing people go nuts trying to get rid of him.

KePoW

Banned
Sincere question, why do you play a cardgame, a turn-based strategy game if you dont wanna think? That doesnt make any sense imho.

Maybe that's the thing, I've literally never played or seen any cardgame (physical or digital) before HS. So I don't know what they're supposed to be like

I just know I have fun playing Face Hunter a few matches per week, but don't like playing Control decks when I tried them

zoukka

Erhm. Blackwing Technician and Corruptor will likely contribute to the core of all dragon decks, apart from dragons themselves. 3/5 stats are incredible for 3 mana. Not having taunt doesn't mean anything. Threatening minions act as taunts in and of themselves, and the jump between 4 health and 5 health is one of the biggest in the game.

Blackwing Technician will often trade 2:1. That alone makes it worthwhile. It's just straight-up value.

You have to understand that cards do not exist in vacuum. Your deck needs a plan and Spider Tank is in mech mage because it's a mech and has synergy with most cards in the deck. Tinkertown is in the deck because it has nice stats (the same as BT) and because it has great synergy with Antonidas. BT has nice stats for the cost but what does it achieve in the deck? Just because it has a "dragon" in its ability keyword doesn't mean you have to play it in a dragon deck. Are there other 3-drops that do more? I would argue that Muster does a lot more than technician, it has synergy with Juggler and Equality for example.

The first instinct is to just slam all dragon cards into the deck, but I suggest you sit back and think for a moment what you want to do with the deck and what cards offer the best value for that plan. Seldom does Senjin get cleared with one card yet nobody plays that card either. Card quality is just so good right now that cards like Senjin and Yeti don't offer enough value when compared to shredders and the like. I would argue that BT falls to the same slot as those cards and is quickly forgotten.

Rapstah

Jesus KePoW, no one in here is actually going to take Face Hunter from you. If Blizzard does take it from you you will be free to quit playing the game like the people who quit when Miracle Rogue and countless decks before it were nerfed after people called them out as unfair and boring to play against forever.

ViviOggi

Another example, Pillars of Eternity. I'm playing that right now but I barely do any sidequests and don't read anything. I skip through probably 75% of the dialog, because there's just way too much text. I just like the combat & fights mainly

ZealousD

3/5 for 3 mana is insane. If you don't put Blackwing Technician in a dragon deck then why are you even running a dragon deck in the first place? Tinkertown Technician fits into every mech deck, not just mage, because it has insane stats for the cost and you get a spare part. The stat lineup for Blackwing Technician is better and the condition is easier to meet.

Saying Blackwing Technician is like a vanilla senjin is stupid. That's like looking at zombie chow and going "it's a river croc with a downside, shit sux".

You have to understand that cards do not exist in vacuum. Your deck needs a plan and Spider Tank is in mech mage because it's a mech and has synergy with most cards in the deck. Tinkertown is in the deck because it has nice stats (the same as BT) and because it has great synergy with Antonidas. BT has nice stats for the cost but what does it achieve in the deck? Just because it has a "dragon" in its ability keyword doesn't mean you have to play it in a dragon deck. Are there other 3-drops that do more? I would argue that Muster does a lot more than technician, it has synergy with Juggler and Equality for example.

The first instinct is to just slam all dragon cards into the deck, but I suggest you sit back and think for a moment what you want to do with the deck and what cards offer the best value for that plan. Seldom does Senjin get cleared with one card yet nobody plays that card either. Card quality is just so good right now that cards like Senjin and Yeti don't offer enough value when compared to shredders and the like. I would argue that BT falls to the same slot as those cards and is quickly forgotten.

Shieldmasta would get played in a whole lot of decks if he only cost 3 mana. Like you said, Shieldmasta and Yeti are outclassed by Shredder, but what 3 drops are clearly overshadowing BT? There might be some cards that have better synergy in some decks, but BT is very solid in a Dragon deck.

embalm

Face Hunter as a concept is fine. A mega fast aggro deck that requires little to no strategy is GREAT for the game.

It should NOT have such a high win percentage against all match ups. Making the fastest and easiest to play deck the best is bad for the game. To beat FH you have to add cards that are useless against all other match ups. It requires a hard counter and even when you counter there is a chance you draw poorly.

It's also a non interactive deck. Which means you get to watch yourself die with little you can do. This leads to extreme salt. That's why everyone hates it.

Everyone also plays it. It's too powerful to not play and too much bullshit not to hate.

KePoW

Banned
Jesus KePoW, no one in here is actually going to take Face Hunter from you. If Blizzard does take it from you you will be free to quit playing the game like the people who quit when Miracle Rogue and countless decks before it were nerfed after people called them out as unfair and boring to play against forever.

I don't think you've personally said anything bad. I just meant seems like some people in this thread really do want to eliminate Face Hunter

Whereas I'm saying I totally understand having control decks in the game and have never lobbied them to be eliminated, even though I don't play them

KePoW

Banned
WE MUST ALWAYS GO MAIN QUEST

SMOrc ME NO READ SMOrc

heck ya. that's why I liked BG2 a hundred times more than Planescape Torment. PST was alright but ridiculous amounts of text, I don't like to read

and yeah I think the SMOrc is hilarious. the funny part is people use it to make fun of Face Hunters, but I love it. bring on the taunts, I couldn't care less lol

ZealousD

I don't think you've personally said anything bad. I just meant seems like some people in this thread really do want to eliminate Face Hunter

Whereas I'm saying I totally understand having control decks in the game and have never lobbied them to be eliminated, even though I don't play them

People hate aggro decks because it feels like you aren't in control of the match. The aggressor has all the initiative and you rely heavily on getting certain draws to win. You can't really say the same about control decks.

egruntz

shelaughz
You have to understand that cards do not exist in vacuum. Your deck needs a plan. Tinkertown is in the deck because it has nice stats (the same as BT) and because it has great synergy with Antonidas.

Of course. The plan for all decks is the same: win. How? Synergy and value. Blackwing Technician has synergy with dragon decks, and the value it provides is its stats that will often trade two for one. It's about gaining advantage on the board. It doesn't need to have additional synergy with a single class legendary to make the cut.

Are there other 3-drops that do more? I would argue that Muster does a lot more than technician, it has synergy with Juggler and Equality for example.

Yes, Muster for Battle has great synergy with Knife Juggler and Equality. That doesn't take away from the value that Blackwing Technician offers. What's more is you're comparing a neutral card to a class card, which of course is going to provide more umph in nearly every scenario. Even further, we're talking about dragon decks. Muster for Battle and Knife Juggler in combination simply have no room in dragon decks. Other synergies? Sure. Doesn't detract from BT.

The first instinct is to just slam all dragon cards into the deck, but I suggest you sit back and think for a moment what you want to do with the deck and what cards offer the best value for that plan.

It's a bit laughable that your conclusion to others speaking highly of Blackwing Technician is that they're neglecting any sort of gameplan and are ignoring proper thought. The plan is to win, like all decks. How do you win? Value. Does Blackwing Technician provide value? Yes.

Feel free not to include it. You don't have to. It'd just be silly not to, since it's so solid for a three drop.

Seldom does Senjin get cleared with one card yet nobody plays that card either. Card quality is just so good right now that cards like Senjin and Yeti don't offer enough value when compared to shredders and the like. I would argue that BT falls to the same slot as those cards and is quickly forgotten.

You're comparing a 3 drop's stats to a bunch of 4 drops. Of course Shredder is preferable to other four drops. The fact of the matter is that there's not a 3-drop equivalent of Shredder. With all these cards, Blackwing Technician stands on top as far as three drops go--neutral, non-legendary minion.

Denying its value is just silly, but you seem set on it for...some reason. That's okay. Pass up on it, but you'll be seeing a lot of it in dragon decks.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
You can have fun with it.

*Hope the opposing Priest plays Mind Games and it pulls out a Majordormo.

*Hope the opposing Priest plays Thoughtsteal and steals your Majordormo then you Ancester's Call it on the field.

*When the opponent plays Sylvanas, you play Majordormo and kill their Sylvanas.

Basically you try to give your opponent the card so you can kill them quickly.

Lol, true. The opponent Sylvanas one is actually one I honestly considered as rare but possibly good use. Unfortunately that still basically gives him a 9/7 with charge and you can't do anything to take advantage until the turn after.

His only real purpose in this game is making Sneeds players sad.

KePoW

Banned
Face Hunter as a concept is fine. A mega fast aggro deck that requires little to no strategy is GREAT for the game.

It should NOT have such a high win percentage against all match ups. Making the fastest and easiest to play deck the best is bad for the game. To beat FH you have to add cards that are useless against all other match ups. It requires a hard counter and even when you counter there is a chance you draw poorly.

It's also a non interactive deck. Which means you get to watch yourself die with little you can do. This leads to extreme salt. That's why everyone hates it.

Everyone also plays it. It's too powerful to not play and too much bullshit not to hate.

I don't want to drag out the conversation too much longer on this page (I'll bring it up again in one week)

But in the past here, the rational experienced posters all say that Face Hunter is no more than 50/50 at the highest ranks against the best players

KePoW

Banned
People hate aggro decks because it feels like you aren't in control of the match. The aggressor has all the initiative and you rely heavily on getting certain draws to win. You can't really say the same about control decks.

Understood. But does eliminating agro decks make for a better game?

(that's a question for real, I don't personally know because I'm not a card game master. But there have been a couple posters here who say agro decks are necessary along with control decks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom