• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

egruntz

shelaughz
Muster does. Synergy with Volcanic Drake and Solemn Vigil. Muster doesn't need Quartermaster to be good.

Mm, fair point. Of course that in itself doesn't detract from the value of another card, which was the point of my post. I was speaking more to the combination of Muster + Knife Juggler vs. other synergies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mm, fair point. Of course that in itself doesn't detract from the value of another card, which was the point of my post. I was speaking more to the combination of Muster + Knife Juggler vs. other synergies.

Knife Juggler + Muster isn't even a consistent combo. Juggler can feel pretty bad on curve because it is so easy to kill.

egruntz

shelaughz
Knife Juggler + Muster isn't even a consistent combo. Juggler can feel pretty bad on curve because it is so easy to kill.

Which contributes to my point further. Remember I'm saying Blackwing Technician is worthwhile. One argument raised against it was "but other synergies exist too. Like Muster + Knife Juggler [in a dragon deck]".

Dahbomb

I have actually lost a game where I got the double Blackwing Technician dream with coin on turn 2 (Turn 2 BT, turn 3 BT).

You guys can guess what I lost to.

FoxSpirit

I don't get the face hunter hate.

So it's the most straight forward aggro deck that also costs little dust so everyone having few cards but wanting a playable deck is playing it.
So what? If face hunter aggravates you that much, switch out two cards into a slightly more anti-face version. So your deck is slightly worse against others then? That's called meta.
God, I'd love to see the criers play some Legacy-tournament magic.
You put some anti aggro in there or you are dead turn 3 or 4. AGRESSIVE.
Let's not even go to Vintage where the game is meta-magic.

Those guys who give up turn 7? Scrubs who will never get into legendary, not even to rank 5. The true fun of face hunter is those turn 10 kills, when you somehow manage to drag the damage over the finish line by a hair. When you yourself have only 2hp left.

The opposite is true, too. Skillfully stifling a face hunter who desperately is scraping for those final 8 points of damage. The evil smirk when you notice the game is done and you know it.

Of course, the anti-facehunter people will never know. They will complain all day about the Zerg rush and go into early expanding anyways. They are the IdrA of hearthstone and like him, will never go to the end. Their hate consumes their proper judgement and in it, they never make the slight adjustments that makes the matchup more managable. And of course, they will stick to an evening of playing a deck that has the worst matchup against facehunter possible. But the problem is facehunter.

Let's be good players.

People would intentionally rush in StarCraft II matches against IdrA just because irrational rush hate and of his resulting insane tilt. I still argue with a friend if meta-gaming of this kind is fair.

Like I said above, Face Hunter is a different puzzle because it is just going face and you have to stop that.

Something like Mech Mage still trades and plays "the game", it just does it much better than your deck does most of the time in a pretty brain dead way.

To put it another way, you can construct a deck that beats face hunter, so if you don't do it that is your own fault. People should do more of this, which is why I like it.

Dahbomb

Control Priest??
No Face Hunter. He didn't give a crap about my double 3/5s. I didn't draw Consecrate or my Belchers so I lost the game.

People would intentionally rush in StarCraft II matches against IdrA just because irrational rush hate and of his resulting insane tilt. I still argue with a friend if meta-gaming of this kind is fair.
It's 100% fair. Why wouldn't it be?

Someone is bad against a strategy... why wouldn't you use that strategy?

Dahbomb

Please stop talking about Face Hunter. It's literally the worst discussion on the internet.
Yeah let's talk about double Combo Druid with Emperor Balanced because that shit is just silly at this point.

I think my favorite loss that happened to me was when someone used Savage Roar + FoN + BGH (all of them were reduced cost) on his own Sylvanas to steal my taunt and win the game with that play.

Levi

Banned
Skillfully stifling a face hunter who desperately is scraping for those final 8 points of damage. The evil smirk when you notice the game is done and you know it.

[/SPOILER]

You mean skillfully drawing your taunts and healing on curve, and skillfully preventing them from drawing their owl, hunters mark or kill command on the turns where they will do the most damage to your defenses.

And saying people are too stubborn to adjust their decks is just false. I have a winning record against face hunter and I still hate queuing up against them because those games are just not fun no matter the outcome.

KePoW

Banned
No Face Hunter. He didn't give a crap about my double 3/5s. I didn't draw Consecrate or my Belchers so I lost the game

oh haha was it at least close? double 3/5s by turn 2 is still pretty good against FH

It's kinda like better Zombie Chows which I lose against sometimes

Hektor

Please stop talking about Face Hunter. It's literally the worst discussion on the internet.

Let's discuss wild growth then.
Not only has this card a "secret" second effect that is not written on the cardtext, this effect is also its own card. Why does it work the way it does?

KePoW

Banned
You mean skillfully drawing your taunts and healing on curve, and skillfully preventing them from drawing their owl, hunters mark or kill command on the turns where they will do the most damage to your defenses.

I think part of what FoxSpirit is referring to is specifically constructing an anti-agro deck beforehand

So what if it makes you weaker against non-agro decks? Why should you be able to have one deck that is great against 100% of everything??

pros/cons is just how it works

Rapstah

Not only has this card a "secret" second effect that is not written on the cardtext, this effect is also its own card. Why does it work the way it does?

Is there another card in the game that would become actually worthless at a certain point of every game? You're going to get to turn 10 in almost every Druid game. I think Blizzard really hates having cards that do nothing (as in actually nothing), even if the bonus effect is weird and maybe too good.

Dahbomb

Blizzard probably thought the card would be garbage if it didn't have that secondary effect.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think part of what FoxSpirit is referring to is specifically constructing an anti-agro deck beforehand

So what if it makes you weaker against non-agro decks? Why should you be able to have one deck that is great against 100% of everything??

pros/cons is just how it works

It eliminates playing smartly. Face Hunter doesn't have to be smart at all. It literally is hit face all the time and use hero power.

Ditto to decks against face. You can't have better in match strategy to beat them. You can't out think Face Hunter. You just have to hope you out RNG them with a crazy taunt/heal deck.

Hektor

Is there another card in the game that would become actually worthless at a certain point of every game? You're going to get to turn 10 in almost every Druid game. I think Blizzard really hates having cards that do nothing (as in actually nothing), even if the bonus effect is weird and maybe too good.

Blizzard probably thought the card would be garbage if it didn't have that secondary effect.

That's true. But Druids class feature is flexibility. Many of his class cards allow you choose one out of two different effects therefore, wouldnt it have been a better idea to make this card just like those? "Choose one: gain an empty Mana Crystal or draw a card". This would also fix the trouble with the wording.

KePoW

Banned
It eliminates playing smartly. Face Hunter doesn't have to be smart at all. It literally is hit face all the time and use hero power.

Ditto to decks against face. You can't have better in match strategy to beat them. You can't out think Face Hunter. You just have to hope you out RNG them with a crazy taunt/heal deck.

Well when I play against those Legendary Control Warriors, I lose at least 75 or 80 percent (if not higher)

that's just the breaks

btw - what is that deck even weak against??

Rapstah

That's true. But Druids class feature is flexibility. Many of his class cards allow you choose one out of two different effects therefore, wouldnt it have been a better idea to make this card just like those? "Choose one: gain an empty Mana Crystal or draw a card". This would also fix the trouble with the wording.

This is such an obvious solution I can't believe it's not how the card works. Unless giving people access to a two-mana card draw in addition to Wrath is too good? I have to imagine people would still choose the mana acceleration over drawing a card.

Well when I play against those Legendary Control Warriors, I lose at least 75 or 80 percent (if not higher)

that's just the breaks

Control Warrior? I know Shaman wipes the floor with them most of the time. I think Paladin has a nice matchup against it as well. Not sure what the other weak matchups are.

KePoW

Banned
Control Warrior? I know Shaman wipes the floor with them most of the time. I think Paladin has a nice matchup against it as well. Not sure what the other weak matchups are.

yeah, was wondering what those Legendary Control Warriors are weak against

they seem very powerful, but that's only from my FH perspective lol

Do you guys think that cost of cards also has a big thing to do with face hunters prevalence? I mean compared to a lot of the other deck types, face hunter (and mech mage) seems to be the cheapest to fully complete.

Levi

Banned

It's so, so bad if you top deck wild growth the turn after Loatheb was played because it counts as two spells. So it costs 7 mana to get a card that then costs you 5 mana to draw a card.

Dahbomb

Do you guys think that cost of cards also has a big thing to do with face hunters prevalence? I mean compared to a lot of the other deck types, face hunter (and mech mage) seems to be the cheapest to fully complete.
There are other cheap decks you can make too aside from Face Hunter. Zoolock is cheap, Mech Mage is cheap etc.

Face Hunter is the most prevalent because it takes the least skill to play and finishes matches the quickest. It's also pretty powerful.

Midrange Hunter beats Control Warrior. It's really easy for Warrior to remove 1 health minions and gain advantage from them but it's much harder for Warriors to remove stuff like Highmanes/Shredders because of the Deathrattle and high attack damage because a lot of their removal comes from weapons.

Midrange Paladin also gives them trouble as does Midrange Druid. Shaman is also a bad match up for them. Demon Handlock isn't super favorable for them either.

KePoW

Banned
Midrange Hunter beats Control Warrior. It's really easy for Warrior to remove 1 health minions and gain advantage from them but it's much harder for Warriors to remove stuff like Highmanes/Shredders because of the Deathrattle and high attack damage because a lot of their removal comes from weapons.

Midrange Paladin also gives them trouble as does Midrange Druid. Shaman is also a bad match up for them. Demon Handlock isn't super favorable for them either.

ah ok thx, will keep that in mind

Biochet

shaman daily

cobwebs.jpg

KePoW

Banned
Why are there face hunters in unranked? I thought that was the place to test new decks, what's there to test for them?

Casual is not just a test ground, it's also to do Daily Quests

I don't do Quests in Ranked (unless it's Hunter or the one where you play low-cost minions)

Dahbomb

Why are there face hunters in unranked? I thought that was the place to test new decks, what's there to test for them?
Casual is the place to farm dailies in. Whenever I get a Hunter daily and don't feel like taking up too much time I go to Casual and throw down with Face Hunter.

There are still people who try out new decks (tried out Dragon Pally yesterday) which is why Face Hunter makes for some very easy and quick games.

Tl:Dr : Casual mode is easy games, easy money, easy life for Face Hunters.

egruntz

shelaughz

This is such an obvious solution I can't believe it's not how the card works. Unless giving people access to a two-mana card draw in addition to Wrath is too good? I have to imagine people would still choose the mana acceleration over drawing a card.

Because spending 2 mana to just draw a card is garbage. That would never be the option selected unless it's turn 10+.

The point of including Wild Growth in your deck is for the former effect. Drawing a card after turn 10 ensures it's not a complete waste of a draw. You still have to spend 2 mana to cycle, so it's not broken.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I don't get the face hunter hate.

So it's the most straight forward aggro deck that also costs little dust so everyone having few cards but wanting a playable deck is playing it.
So what? If face hunter aggravates you that much, switch out two cards into a slightly more anti-face version. So your deck is slightly worse against others then? That's called meta.
God, I'd love to see the criers play some vintage-tournament magic.
You put some anti aggro in there or you are dead turn 3 or 4. AGRESSIVE.
Let's not even go to Legacy where the game is meta-magic.

Those guys who give up turn 7? Scrubs who will never get into legendary, not even to rank 5. The true fun of face hunter is those turn 10 kills, when you somehow manage to drag the damage over the finish line by a hair. When you yourself have only 2hp left.

The opposite is true, too. Skillfully stifling a face hunter who desperately is scraping for those final 8 points of damage. The evil smirk when you notice the game is done and you know it.

Of course, the anti-facehunter people will never know. They will complain all day about the Zerg rush and go into early expanding anyways. They are the IdrA of hearthstone and like him, will never go to the end. Their hate consumes their proper judgement and in it, they never make the slight adjustments that makes the matchup more managable. And of course, they will stick to an evening of playing a deck that has the worst matchup against facehunter possible. But the problem is facehunter.

Let's be good players.

I beat face hunters most of the time. They are annoying because there are so many of them and the deck plays exactly the same each match. Playing the exact same match 5 times in a row is boring, even if you win all of them.

ZealousD

My plan was that Dragon consort and Thaurissan will get me discounts on many of them.

I might still, tho I like beefy guys. Thanks for the tip.

I do too, but I don't think Quartermasters can fit in a Paladin Dragon deck. The 5 slot is just too packed right now, and quartermasters can be a tad bit clunky. I don't even like running two of them..

Rapstah

Weird observation: almost every Dragon synergy card and/or good Dragon card has a Battlecry. I don't know what deck you could fit a Nerub'ar Weblord into, but it'd be hilarious if it did something for the first time ever.

ZealousD

Weird observation: almost every Dragon synergy card and/or good Dragon card has a Battlecry. I don't know what deck you could fit a Nerub'ar Weblord into, but it'd be hilarious if it did something for the first time ever.

Zoo was pretty popular when Naxx first came out. Everybody was theorycrafting that you would use it to counter zoo decks because practically every zoo card had a battlecry.

It didn't happen.

Fixed1979

Why the fuck am I facing a full on mech mage deck at lvl 20 3 weeks into the season...I'm never taking another warrior quest until I get more cards....it's so bad with basic.

EDIT: All right, finally got some "normal" matches for that rank and finished it off with ease. Now back to the main account for some relaxation...

I seriously don't envy new players who won't or can't spend cash, playing on my F2P account can be a bit of a lesson in patience sometimes.

Occasionally they pop out of Shredders and can be really annoying. I lost a game once because the damn thing stopped me from playing Dr. Balance on turn 7 which helped the other guy hold the board.

Zoo was pretty popular when Naxx first came out. Everybody was theorycrafting that you would use it to counter zoo decks because practically every zoo card had a battlecry.

It didn't happen.

Deathrattle Zoo took over right after Naxx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom