• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Didn't have those at the time. Just another great example why you play Muster over BT every time in Paladin.

c7NJRa2.gif

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Right now I'm trying to figure out which Secret cards I can / want to buy.
Right now I have 280 Craft and I have an Etheral Aracnist in the trunk already. I can afford one of each Counterspell (100), Ice Barrier (40), Mirror Entity (40), and Vaporize (100). Or any combination of those that fit into 280. Then I need advice on what to replace. I'm thinking Water Elemental, Stormwind, Archmage, come out but I dunno.
In my head your deck looks inconsistent and heavily reliant on combos that may not provide enough value to be worth the effort but it's hard to give specific advice without seeing the decklist.
I took your advice, mellowed down on the combos, much less prone to flapping in the wind with nothing but low effect high cost spells. Here's the decklist.
In order for that to work, you have to have 2-3 spell damage minions on the board. You can't rely on that to happen with any sort of consistency. When I first started out, I tried the same thing, but it's just more effective and reliable to contest the board with minions than it is with spells. Minions also have the advantage of leaving something on the board that the other player has to deal with.
It sounds like you're holding on to way too many cards. If you still have 8-9 cards on turn 6, then you probably haven't done much of anything, and the other player could easily have gotten out of control by that point. Hell, most aggro decks would have already beaten you by then. It sounds like Freeze Mage would be a perfect fit for you, but I doubt you have most of the cards for it yet.
Took this advice too. I had too many cards. I only started playing when I hit 5 and even then only moving at 6. Started playing games and replaced every card that if it was something else would have won me the game. Came out with the above Deck. Dunno about Freeze Mage but hey. Who does?

Levi

Banned
OK8TZmQ.png

I was embarrassed trying to play my Dragodin while being spectated so I remade the deck. I Cut Blackwing Technicians, Onyxia, and Alexstraza to make room for some more tech cards. Felt really heavy on the 5 drops so I cut quartermaster and one of the musters. I still get the benefit of quartermaster because most people still spend a lot of removal on the Silverhand Recruits. Threw in Rend to playtest, when it works it's an excellent tempo swing but vs most zoo and face hunters it's pretty worthless.

Still working on smoothing out the curve to try and prevent poor opening hands.

I have never understood the absolute disdain for more aggressive decks. I would rather play in a meta of only fast decks than a meta of only ultra-greedy control.

johnsmith

remember me
Why is it annoying? It doesn't go always face and is not that strong at the moment.

Because zoo has always been annoying? If you don't draw your answers in your opening hand you're fucked, while it's almost impossible for them to get a bad mulligan. Because they can keep tapping to never run out of steam? Because imp gang boss is annoying as hell if you don't get your whirlwinds/death's bites.

At least mech mage will run out of steam in the late game.

Rapstah

There's a lot of great Satyr art in the WoW TCG. I don't think there's a single Satyr card right now. They'd make good Warlock class cards in a future card expansion. Looking at their card text in the Wow TCG, they're almost all SMOrc face cards that either have some effect that deals damage to the enemy hero, or high-stat cards that can only attack the enemy hero. That niche translates to Hearthstone pretty well.

Fake card:

1219568cmyuns.png

Probably too good. The art is really nice though.

Here's an example of a WoW TCG card that would almost translate 1:1 to HS:

jadefire_scout_foil.jpg

Here's one which is basically "while your opponent has 15 or less health, all enemy minions lose Taunt and Stealth" which I think would be way too good for HS?

jadefire_rogue.jpg

Dahbomb

That Jadefire card is interesting even if it may lead to some one turn kill type combos.

Most obvious being having a big creature on board then playing Arcane Golem + Power Overwhelming, charge that into the opponent plus the other creature then play this card to finish off the opponent.

Rapstah

That Jadefire card is interesting even if it may lead to some one turn kill type combos.

Most obvious being having a big creature on board then playing Arcane Golem + Power Overwhelming, charge that into the opponent plus the other creature then play this card to finish off the opponent.

Yeah, I realised after I generated it that Shadowflame doesn't hit the enemy hero for a reason.

I'm starting to understand why some view this game as an esports joke. Just lost 2 matches because of boom bot rng, turn 4 dr. boom, etc.. I mean, if I was taking it seriously I'd just lose my mind losing those games like that. I can see why reynad gets depressed at least.

edit:
I'm really salty atm, but I'd just be even more salty if I took it seriously. But maybe I should and then I will lose less and be less salty? lol

zoukka

Because zoo has always been annoying? If you don't draw your answers in your opening hand you're fucked, while it's almost impossible for them to get a bad mulligan. Because they can keep tapping to never run out of steam? Because imp gang boss is annoying as hell if you don't get your whirlwinds/death's bites.

At least mech mage will run out of steam in the late game.

After facing a million mech mages and facehunters, zoo feels like a walk in the park now. You just need one good aoe and you should win. Mech mage will still fuck you up with boom + antonidas + fireballs + whatever OP shit they cook from portals.

Levi

Banned

Yeah, this is better than what I was running before. Considering dropping some of the 5+ drops for BWT, Senjin or Harvest Golem, just to lower my curve a touch.

It's really nice dropping Dragon Consort, Azure Drake, and hero power in a single turn, or dropping a turn 7 Ysera.

After facing a million mech mages and facehunters, zoo feels like a walk in the park now. You just need one good aoe and you should win. Mech mage will still fuck you up with boom + antonidas + fireballs + whatever OP shit they cook from portals.

The new demon zoo (popularized by Kolento) runs really sticky minions and late game cards such as Boom and Malganis so they aren't as vulnerable to AOE and they don't run of steam as fast as traditional zoo. I've consecrated twice in the first 6 turns and still lost to demon zoo.

Just my luck. 0-0 and I run into a ridiculous 12 win Shaman deck. The only thing that even stayed on the board for more than a turn was a stealthed tiger lol.

Grief.exe

Both my phone and my computer are 1440p, but the art just looks so gorgeous on a 27" monitor.

Need to remove Borderless Fullscreen mode so I can play at 144 FPS...because reasons.

ZealousD

Because there are limited card slots in decks.

Would be interested in hearing what you think Dragon Paladin should be running instead of Blackwing Technication (other than Muster).

I had room for both in my Dragon Paladin deck. If you're not going to run several dragon synergy cards than there isn't a compelling reason to create a dragon deck. Dragon Consort by itself doesn't cut it.

http://i.imgur.com/OK8TZmQ.png

I was embarrassed trying to play my Dragodin while being spectated so I remade the deck. I Cut Blackwing Technicians, Onyxia, and Alexstraza to make room for some more tech cards. Felt really heavy on the 5 drops so I cut quartermaster and one of the musters. I still get the benefit of quartermaster because most people still spend a lot of removal on the Silverhand Recruits. Threw in Rend to playtest, when it works it's an excellent tempo swing but vs most zoo and face hunters it's pretty worthless.

Still working on smoothing out the curve to try and prevent poor opening hands.

This is too much tech imo. You're trying to react to everything. If every single situation doesn't come up than all you've done is watered down your deck with weaker cards. It's the worst feeling in the world whenever you have a full hand and you can't just drop anything because it's full of tech.

Man, my midrange Hunter got through rank 5 easily a couple of days ago, but since then I've been basically bouncing around rank 4 at a fifty percent win rate.

Holy shit lol. Priest vs. Priest in arena. He plays Shrinkmeister. I play Injured Blademaster + CoH. He Velen's Chosen and hits face. I Velen's and kill his Shrinkmeister and then he concedes. Fastest arena game I've ever had.

Edit: Just made a Warrior concede on turn 5 with Chow + Velen's. I guess that really frustrates people.

sibarraz

Banned
CC6LJlNW4AAGeZz.jpg

Funny Story, after he played majordo, I pressed at the second the emotes icon looking for a WHY? response without thinking that there isn't a WHY? emote

I know that is an arena match, but still, in one turn I was in a 50/50 win situation to a 100/0 win situation

Levi

Banned
This is too much tech imo. You're trying to react to everything. If every single situation doesn't come up than all you've done is watered down your deck with weaker cards. It's the worst feeling in the world whenever you have a full hand and you can't just drop anything because it's full of tech.

I'll play most of those "tech" cards on curve even if I don't get value, because tempo has to be prioritized in this very aggressive meta. Obviously I'm going to save BGH vs control and Kezan vs Freeze Mage, but otherwise I'm fine playing Aldor or MCT on turn 3 if it's my only play.

I'm probably going to cut MCT, I was just curious if it would improve this deck vs any of the zoo variants going around right now. Rend is another that is currently only in the deck for test purposes.

Kezan is a card that I sorely miss when I don't run it. Every time I cut it I lose games that card would have made a big difference in.

Decided to Que up midrange hunter for a couple of games. Both ended up with the opponent conceding on turn 4 to kezan.

Face Hunter and freeze mage.

Felt good.

johnsmith

remember me
Emperor Thaurissian and Ragnaros from unstable portal. Fuck that card so much. Dealing with 2 ragnaros isn't fun when you don't draw your BGH.

sibarraz

Banned
MCT is a good card for some situations where your opponent manages to get the board crowded and you don't had consecration or other removal.

At least it saved me against another pally and 2 warlock matches

ZealousD

I'll play most of those "tech" cards on curve even if I don't get value, because tempo has to be prioritized in this very aggressive meta. Obviously I'm going to save BGH vs control and Kezan vs Freeze Mage, but otherwise I'm fine playing Aldor or MCT on turn 3 if it's my only play.

I'm probably going to cut MCT, I was just curious if it would improve this deck vs any of the zoo variants going around right now. Rend is another that is currently only in the deck for test purposes.

Kezan is a card that I sorely miss when I don't run it. Every time I cut it I lose games that card would have made a big difference in.

Think about how often you drop MCT on curve and how often you actually get use out of it. If MCT often sits dead or your hand or you drop it on curve a lot, then Blackwing Technician is likely far better.

I don't think Owl and Kezan can necessarily fit into the same deck. An in aggressive matchup you might only use the owl to silence a Mad Scientist, which is anti-synergy with Kezan.

For a new player such as myself I would likely disenchant that as quickly as possible.

The reason you might not want to is well... it is pretty dang good still and one of the best legendary cards in the game. And if they ever nerf it, you get 3200 dust instead of 1600, so basically a free legendary on top of enough dust for a legendary.

edit:
Like heyo said, some legendary cards might be worth dusting even if to just craft a lot of very useful cards and you would definitely get a lot for 1600 dust. Dr. boom, is simply not one of those cards you dust... unless you have a second already. It might be appealing to get 1600 dust right away, but you'll likely want to have dr. boom and he takes 1600 dust to craft.

Iryx

Does using HearthArena = wins?

Feels dirty

I the drafting process is what is holding you back in arena, then it should help you.
I always assume that all my opponents past 3 wins either use HearthArena or something similar or is good enough at drafting that it isn't necessary for them.

The reason you might not want to is well... it is pretty dang good still and one of the best legendary cards in the game. And if they ever nerf it, you get 3200 dust instead of 1600, so basically a free legendary on top of enough dust for a legendary.

Ya. Dr. Boom is basically the legendary that I'd craft from disenchanting a golden legendary.

Levi

Banned

Feels dirty

Well, you still have to play the game plus that site seems to over value synergy. A 12 win deck for an arena pro would probably only get me 6 or 7 wins, for example.

But it'll help you get a better deck than you might otherwise if you're not great at drafting, and if you take the time to learn why it chooses the cards it does it may help you learn to draft better in the future.

Ashodin

edit:
Like heyo said, some legendary cards might be worth dusting even if to just craft a lot of very useful cards and you would definitely get a lot for 1600 dust. Dr. boom, is simply not one of those cards you dust... unless you have a second already. It might be appealing to get 1600 dust right away, but you'll likely want to have dr. boom and he takes 1600 dust to craft.

imma hold it until they decide to nerf it. Until they ever say "WE WILL NEVER NERF THIS CARD" imma hold it.

Levi

Banned
imma hold it until they decide to nerf it. Until they ever say "WE WILL NEVER NERF THIS CARD" imma hold it.

Yeah, I have a gold Dr. Boom as well. Pretty much guaranteed to eventually pay out 3200 dust. I plan on crafting Flame Leviathan and Shadow bomber, which are garbage cards but also the only two I need to complete the GvG set.

Ashodin

Yeah, I have a gold Dr. Boom as well. Pretty much guaranteed to eventually pay out 3200 dust. I plan on crafting Flame Leviathan and Shadow bomber, which are garbage cards but also the only two I need to complete the GvG set.

the goal is to craft Harrison Jones at some point

Cagey

Banned

Feels dirty

I jumped back onto Hearthstone this week, after a half a year's absence when the mobile versions launched. I hadn't checked HearthArena since its launch, which was rude of me to do. Two close friends of mine (groomsmen in my wedding this past winter, no less) are the guys behind the website. He'd been telling me about the project all the time but I just wasn't playing Hearth when it launched, so I just followed along without truly interacting with the product. Pretty damn neat.

HearthArena reminds me of last year when I'd draft an arena deck with those two on a Google Hangout and have them critique the choices. Synergy and curve were always emphasized a ton when we'd do that.

I mean, they're better drafters than I am, so getting their input back then helped, and getting it now from the website certainly helps. No one is perfect, though. I disagree with a decent chunk of the picks every time. One day I'll have to do a run and then get to a point where I disagree and ask them for feedback realtime to understand just wtf is going on besides the bubble.

This is a totally unsolicited post, in case any disclaimer is needed. Just glad to see two friends' work pay off. I do hope people love their website, like it, or find it remotely useable. Disagreement with the tier lists that existed this time last year spurred all this. Their obsession with Hearthstone is stronger than any game I've seen them obsessed with, and our D2 obsession ran deep.

shira

I jumped back onto Hearthstone this week, after a half a year's absence when the mobile versions launched. I hadn't checked HearthArena since its launch, which was rude of me to do. Two close friends of mine (groomsmen in my wedding this past winter, no less) are the guys behind the website. He'd been telling me about the project all the time but I just wasn't playing Hearth when it launched, so I just followed along without truly interacting with the product. Pretty damn neat.

HearthArena reminds me of last year when I'd draft an arena deck with those two on a Google Hangout and have them critique the choices. Synergy and curve were always emphasized a ton when we'd do that.

I mean, they're better drafters than I am, so getting their input back then helped, and getting it now from the website certainly helps. No one is perfect, though. I disagree with a decent chunk of the picks every time. One day I'll have to do a run and then get to a point where I disagree and ask them for feedback realtime to understand just wtf is going on besides the bubble.

This is a totally unsolicited post, in case any disclaimer is needed. Just glad to see two friends' work pay off. I do hope people love their website, like it, or find it remotely useable. Disagreement with the tier lists that existed this time last year spurred all this. Their obsession with Hearthstone is stronger than any game I've seen them obsessed with, and our D2 obsession ran deep.

Cool!

I wish I could draft my way out of a paper bag, the best Arena result I've gotten is 3 wins. Looks like automated AI victories for me.

ZealousD

The text bubble at HearthArena says some really dumb stuff sometimes, even when I agree with their actual picks.

"Although we don't want too many Knife Jugglers, we really need a 2-drop..."

When the hell would you ever complain that you had too many knife jugglers if you're desperate for a 2 drop.....

Grief.exe

edit:

Ya. Dr. Boom is basically the legendary that I'd craft from disenchanting a golden legendary.

That's true, I see Dr. Boom in many of the pre-constructed decks at this point. Seems like a card that is intrinsic to the meta.

I just got Helmet Nessingwary from an arena session, going to DE that.

Got Flame Leviathan from an arena pack. Not sure whether to disenchant or keep. Hate disenchanting legendaries but doesn't seem it will ever be useful really.

gutshot

You're friends with ADWCTA and Merps? That is awesome. HearthArena is an amazing tool. It's helped me improve my average win rate from around 3 to almost 7 wins now. They've done a great job with the site.

BTW, what does ADWCTA stand for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom