• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
First game trying out dragon pally...what a disgusting hand.

Yg9re3P.png

At one point during this game thanks to a turn 7 ysera and the emperor, I was able to loatheb, dragon consort, and emerald drake for 9 mana total.

My decklist I threw together right now is this:

bbDJyuw.png

It still feels a little clunky. I have too many one offs but I found it really hard to actually cut staples like sludge belchers, though either way I think the 5s need trimmed.

CoolOff

Does using HearthArena = wins?

Feels dirty

I agree with the picks like 90% of the time, so for me it's mostly for tracking runs.

Currently farming Mage-tards with my Hunter. I don't quite understand how it can be such a hard counter, but I guess most of them build slow decks and want to Flamestrike something other than my 5/5 Tiger.

Cagey

Banned
You're friends with ADWCTA and Merps? That is awesome. HearthArena is an amazing tool. It's helped me improve my average win rate from around 3 to almost 7 wins now. They've done a great job with the site.

BTW, what does ADWCTA stand for?

Yeah, I met AD in 8th grade band and then Merps through AD in 10th, been friends ever since. They're super-close BFFs, to where we'd joke Merps' GF is the third wheel. Somehow we all wound up becoming lawyers.

You know, I never thought to ask what ADWCTA stood for until a couple years ago when we had a Payday group, and he wouldn't tell me, "wasn't the right moment" (rofl). I forgot to follow up on that. He's a very... quirky dude. Merps is the normal one of the duo.

Now that I finally picked Hearth up again, I'm getting shit for a 5-3 run. =/ Arena was never all that thrilling for me though. My TCG experience is solely MTG, and I never took to Limited there.

Question to all: are there competitive Control decks in the current meta that aren't prohibitively expensive? I always skew towards pure aggression or control, never liked the midrange of TCGs. Face Hunter is the closest analogy to a standard RDW, and my favorite style of play is to turn the game into a math equation and figure out the lines of play that way, but second is a pure late-game control style.

Great.... love RNG.... 1/5 chance for sylvanas to steal kelthuzad... steals kelthuzad. What the flying fuck blizzard. Dude gets a perfect curve and then still is losing but for a 1/5 chance to get somewhere...

Oh, here is the icing on the cake. Harrison gets me an equality which if I didn't use hero power I could have killed KT. But I figured 1/5 chance was better than 1/4 chance. Turns out I am RNG cursed today.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I met AD in 8th grade band and then Merps through AD in 10th, been friends ever since. They're super-close BFFs, to where we'd joke Merps' GF is the third wheel. Somehow we all wound up becoming lawyers.

You know, I never thought to ask what ADWCTA stood for until a couple years ago when we had a Payday group, and he wouldn't tell me, "wasn't the right moment" (rofl). I forgot to follow up on that. He's a very... quirky dude. Merps is the normal one of the duo.

Now that I finally picked Hearth up again, I'm getting shit for a 5-3 run. =/ Arena was never all that thrilling for me though. My TCG experience is solely MTG, and I never took to Limited there.

Question to all: are there competitive Control decks in the current meta that aren't prohibitively expensive? I always skew towards pure aggression or control, never liked the midrange of TCGs. Face Hunter is the closest analogy to a standard RDW, and my favorite style of play is to turn the game into a math equation and figure out the lines of play that way, but second is a pure late-game control style.

If you want to do some math type stuff you might like Grim Patron warrior since the turns can quickly get really complex.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/224656-senfglas-1-legend-grim-patron-warrior

This is a good one, and it's cheap.

shira

I agree with the picks like 90% of the time, so for me it's mostly for tracking runs.

Currently farming Mage-tards with my Hunter. I don't quite understand how it can be such a hard counter, but I guess most of them build slow decks and want to Flamestrike something other than my 5/5 Tiger.

I'm a new player, so I think I will try it out. Maybe I can learn a thing or two about drafting logic.

CoolOff

I'm a new player, so I think I will try it out. Maybe I can learn a thing or two about drafting logic.

You definitely will. If there's ever a valuation of a card that catches you off guard, take a minute or so to try and figure out what it is that makes it so good/bad.

And another 12-win to add to the list. Hunter average is now 7.83 wins/run after 6 runs, not too shabby.

egruntz

shelaughz
Arena is such fucking bullshit. I don't know why I bother with it. Better off spending $50 on packs than wasting 4 hours of my day for nothing.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Right now I'm trying to figure out which Secret cards I can / want to buy.
Right now I have 280 Craft and I have an Etheral Aracnist in the trunk already. I can afford one of each Counterspell (100), Ice Barrier (40), Mirror Entity (40), and Vaporize (100). Or any combination of those that fit into 280. Then I need advice on what to replace. I'm thinking Water Elemental, Stormwind, Archmage, come out but I dunno.
I took your advice, mellowed down on the combos, much less prone to flapping in the wind with nothing but low effect high cost spells. Here's the decklist.
Took this advice too. I had too many cards. I only started playing when I hit 5 and even then only moving at 6. Started playing games and replaced every card that if it was something else would have won me the game. Came out with the above Deck. Dunno about Freeze Mage but hey. Who does?
Bought one of each secret. Trimmed out Arcane Explosion, Arcane Missiles, Water Elemental and Archmage for them. Switched out Razorfin Hunter for Eternal Arcanist. In the 2 matches since I've started using the Secrets, both opponents quit like 2 turns before I could kill them.

clav

Bought one of each secret. Trimmed out Arcane Explosion, Arcane Missiles, Water Elemental and Archmage for them. Switched out Razorfin Hunter for Eternal Arcanist. In the 2 matches since I've started using the Secrets, both opponents quit like 2 turns before I could kill them.

If you buy Naxxramas, there's an exclusive card called Mad Scientist (2/2). His deathrattle puts a secret that you're not holding in your hand into the field.

Water Elemental is a good card. What did you replace it?

Arena is such fucking bullshit. I don't know why I bother with it. Better off spending $50 on packs than wasting 4 hours of my day for nothing.

What did you not like about it?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
If you buy Naxxramas, there's an exclusive card called Mad Scientist (2/2). His deathrattle puts a secret that you're not holding in your hand into the field.
Water Elemental is a good card. What did you replace it?
What did you not like about it?
That's... a badass card. I'll pick it up asap when I get enough gold for the first wing.
I replaced it with Eternal Arcanist. I'm trying it out right now. My process for trying out cards is that every time I draw it, I run through the scenarios of if it was the other card. So far nothing has changed so far. I'm double thinking on that too since Eternal Arcanist +2/2 if you have a secret at end of your turn, only procs once in total. So right now the trade off is a 5/5 in certain conditions, or a 3/6 that can freeze at will. Should actually probably do that right now. fakeedit : done. Shame, if it could proc multiple times I'd be amazing. And slightly OP, right? Maybe reduced to +1/1 and proc at start of turn would be better.

I was about to ask him the same thing.

I gotta be honest. The dragon paladin decks I have faced so far are not impressing me.

Maybe people just aren't used to playing a deck like it.

But now I am gonna give it a go (maybe not tonight, finally just unlocked it after grinding 70g today).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I gotta be honest. The dragon paladin decks I have faced so far are not impressing me.

Maybe people just aren't used to playing a deck like it.

But now I am gonna give it a go (maybe not tonight, finally just unlocked it after grinding 70g today).

The deck isn't complete yet, really. Volcanic Drake and Blackwing Corrupter are missing.

Grief.exe

I get the impression that I'm not drafting early game well enough in my arena decks.

I feel that, without some of the necessary synergies required for constructed play, arena relies more on efficient trades early game. As a result, I need to ensure that my early game goes extremely smoothly.

Gotchaye

I get the impression that I'm not drafting early game well enough in my arena decks.

I feel that, without some of the necessary synergies required for constructed play, arena relies more on efficient trades early game. As a result, I need to ensure that my early game goes extremely smoothly.

Yes. Early tempo is extremely important. Cards that let you make advantageous trades that you otherwise couldn't are also very valuable. Dark Iron Dwarf lets your two drop trade with a four drop and gives you a 4/4. This is why Priest is a decent class now.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Absolutely. Most high quality arena decks are mid-range tempo decks. You want to aim for about five-to-six of each on your on-curve 2-drops, 3-drops, and 4-drops. You almost always go for the high quality vanilla stats of the 3 and 4 drops. You see a spider tank, you pick the spider tank. You see a yeti, you pick the yeti.

But the most important cards are actually your board clears. Flamestrike. Consecration. Holy Nova. Lightning Storm. Swipe. Hellfire. If you fall behind, these cards are the only way you can catch up.

First real test of dragon deck... (not including scumbag face hunter who AC RNG'd his way to a win anyway)... went pretty well.

The notable differences are:
-2belchers
-2musters
-zombie chow
-1 antique healbot
-1 dr. boom
-1 quartermaster

+2 dragon consorts
+2 coghammer
+2 blackwing technicians
+2 twilight drakes
+1 wild pyro
+second equality
+1 ysera
+1 rend

Coghammer instead of belcher is... quite different. And certainly this is not the kind of list I might run if I had volcanic drakes.

I think dragon paladin will split into two different lists, one might be better than the other but it deserves two different directions imo. One is more token oriented running volcanic drakes and muster and probably belchers, and the other is more removal focused running the coghammer, the 5 drop that does 3 damage battlecry, blackwing technician, and rend.

At least that is how I think about the class in terms of fitting all these great cards into a single deck. I am not sure you can do both, although I certainly will try.

With a few wings of BRM out I'm starting to struggle in ladder again, the grind to get these new cards is going to be real tough these next few weeks.
I just unlocked the first wing with gold...

_DrMario_

Holy fuck I've finally beaten Heroic Naxx and it was definitely one of the least fun shit I've ever forced myself to do.

I wish I could take a big shit in an envelope and send it to whoever designed the last couple of fights.

Cipherr

Holy fuck I've finally beaten Heroic Naxx and it was definitely one of the least fun shit I've ever forced myself to do.

I wish I could take a big shit in an envelope and send it to whoever designed the last couple of fights.

Yep. The heroic PvE stuff is horribly designed and not fun at all. Total horseshit with zero replay value, because noone would ever want to play them again after getting them out of the way.

Danj

If it was not fun why'd you do it? It's my understanding that there's not any cards to be unlocked by doing heroic?

d4533

Just got the watch a friend win a game quest, can anyone on US servers add me? Currently don't have any friends who play this game.

You can add me as Gah #1600

Thanks.

Maximo

Haha Jesus playing Priest is such a disgusting Class sometimes. Played against a Rogue clearly a oil Rogue. I ThoughtSteal into a Preperation + Sprint. Two Shadow Word Pains in my hand used to kill his Teacher turn 4 then his Sludge Beltcher on turn 5. Dude immediately ends the game.
I probably would Have quit too, so much salt.

I think I have a problem. I've only been playing Hearthstone for a few days, and have dropped almost my entire entertainment budget of $100 on it.

I bought both adventures (Which are pretty great) and about 40 packs with the Amazon bonus coins. They shouldn't make opening packs of cards so fun... ;_;

It's all worth it for the based Deathwing, Mimiron's Head, and Lord Jaraxxus drops!

Danj

Anyone on EU server around? I got the spectate a game quest yesterday but nobody on my friend list was online and playing.

I'm Danj#2393.

EDIT: thanks!

Maximo

I think I have a problem. I've only been playing Hearthstone for a few days, and have dropped almost my entire entertainment budget of $100 on it.

I bought both adventures (Which are pretty great) and about 40 packs with the Amazon bonus coins. They shouldn't make opening packs of cards so fun... ;_;

It's all worth it for the based Deathwing, Mimiron's Head, and Lord Jaraxxus drops!
Yeah Blizzard is making insane Bank on Hearthstone it's insane. Hell I have dropped more money on Hearthstone then I care to tell people haha.

Well that's a new one, at least. Could this guy have had a more perfect hand?

I think I might've just won by kill commanding my Mad Scientist to get Freezing out of desperation though, lol. As long as he doesn't topdeck fireball...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
what the living fuckshit is going on with EU servers? Haven't been able to log in for 10 hours.

Battle.net, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom