• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

iirate

Not sure what I just witnessed. A Shaman in arena with Angry Chicken, Goldshire Footman and Gnomeregan Infantry.

I was doing a warlock arena the other day, and I played a mage at 4-0 that played Young Dragonhawk + Duplicate onto an empty board turn 4, then played both the Duplicated Dragonhawks, used their hero power, then passed on turn 5. No words.

Turns out all the mages are at 10+ wins.

I'm always sort of relieved to face mages/paladins at the 10+ stage of a run. Going into those matches, I'm at least vaguely aware of what I'll be up against. It's when I'm at 11 wins and fighting a warrior(rogue, shaman, etc.) that I'm most worried. Last time that happened, the warrior wasn't actually fighting back too much early on, but then I promptly lost to turn 7 Boom, turn 8 KT.

Loomba

I'm quite new to this, is there a way to get cards I want or do I have to hope I get them from packs that could take weeks?

bjaelke

You can craft all cards with a gem in the middle.
I'm always sort of relieved to face mages/paladins at the 10+ stage of a run. Going into those matches, I'm at least vaguely aware of what I'll be up against. It's when I'm at 11 wins and fighting a warrior(rogue, shaman, etc.) that I'm most worried. Last time that happened, the warrior wasn't actually fighting back too much early on, but then I promptly lost to turn 7 Boom, turn 8 KT.

Well that is true. Wasn't even a good deck I was up against. Just a mixture of poor decisions and drawing my end game early on.

So I finally beat General Drakkisath on heroic with a cheesy 29 spell, majordormo executus deck.

rs0lxeD.jpg

Could not have been closer (ignoring the draw from pws).

Dat topdeck

How does that work? He can take control of your majordormo?

I just duplicated KT with a shaman and used a lot of taunts for that boss

He plays mindgames, so the only minion he can get from it is M-E. Killed it with Shadow word death, he turned into rag with 8 health, then I killed him with spells just before his minions killed me. (It also resets the mana so there were a few turns where he didn't play anything due to the high mana cost of his creatures).

He plays mindgames, so the only minion he can get from it is M-E. Killed it with Shadow word death, he turned into rag with 8 health, then I killed him with spells just before his minions killed me. (It also resets the mana so there were a few turns where he didn't play anything due to the high mana cost of his creatures).

but he still had his 50 armor,no?

zoukka

Would be interested in hearing what you think Dragon Paladin should be running instead of Blackwing Technication (other than Muster).

I had room for both in my Dragon Paladin deck. If you're not going to run several dragon synergy cards than there isn't a compelling reason to create a dragon deck. Dragon Consort by itself doesn't cut it.

Consort is the only reason you would make a dragon paladin. Everything else comes into place around it. If BT forces you to play more dragons that otherwise would not be placed instead of better cards, then BT might be making your whole deck worse.

Rapstah

I'm looking forward to trying Drakonid Crusher + Charge as a finisher in a bunch of Warrior decks. It won't replace Grom + Alexstrasza, but I don't have either of those.

I'm looking forward to trying Drakonid Crusher + Charge as a finisher in a bunch of Warrior decks. It won't replace Grom + Alexstrasza, but I don't have either of those.

Should work just fine though. It's pretty much the equivalent to Grommash and Taskmaster. My only advice in can think of is to run a Gorehowl if you have one. I think it could help close the damage gap.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Consort is the only reason you would make a dragon paladin. Everything else comes into place around it. If BT forces you to play more dragons that otherwise would not be placed instead of better cards, then BT might be making your whole deck worse.

Consort's strength diminishes the fewer dragons you have in your deck though. Instead of a 5/5 that draws an innervate, it becomes a 5/5 that might draw an innervate, or a 5/5 that draws an innervate that you can't use for several turns.

Strider

This is the Dragon Pally I've been using from ranks 11 to 6.

O0O4Kgq.png

vdjAhH2.png

I don't track my winrate but it's been high so far. Around 80% or so I'd guess. 3-0 vs Face hunters but the main deck I've been seeing is that secret mage or whatever it's called.

I see a lot of people not including Boom in their Dragon decks and opting for Alexstrasza or something instead. That's a mistake. Boom is too good. Fit it in your deck somewhere.

Anyway I've seen people debating Muster recently and I opted not to include it in my deck. It's a good card of course and a muster/quartermaster combo can certainly win you the game... But I find there's better choices in this meta. Too often a quartermaster will sit in my hand with useless stats as a mage pings down all of my guys. Then I'll fall too far behind and unable to catch up. And well muster against face hunter... Too often they draw UTH on me. I'm definitely doing better with those cards out of my deck.

zoukka

Consort's strength diminishes the fewer dragons you have in your deck though. Instead of a 5/5 that draws an innervate, it becomes a 5/5 that might draw an innervate, or a 5/5 that draws an innervate that you can't use for several turns.

Nah five other dragons is plenty. It's way better for you to play a Consort and then wait for a dragon than to be playing mediocre dragons or dragon-synergy cards before a consort. Twilight Drakes are not good enough for the deck and don't really offer any synergy with Consorts.

Here's my revised list, had to play a Mystic in there because of the meta.

Now if only we would get more good value dragons in the 6-8 mana cost, this deck would get even more powerful.

What are the counters to mech decks?
And face hunters?
Let's say i want to make a deck that wins against mechs most of the time, even if it loses to everything else. How would it look like?

Rapstah

Should work just fine though. It's pretty much the equivalent to Grommash and Taskmaster. My only advice in can think of is to run a Gorehowl if you have one. I think it could help close the damage gap.

Gorehowl has been pretty good as a finisher. Alternatives are fun, though.

What are the counters to mech decks?
And face hunters?
Let's say i want to make a deck that wins against mechs most of the time, even if it loses to everything else. How would it look like?
Deathlords and AOE, I guess. I made a troll deck with Deathlords and Shadowstep so you could re-summon them at 8 health a couple of weeks ago.

Type2

I haven't spent a dime on HS since I don't gamble.
If they sold specific cards for money I would have bought them for real money.
I kind of wish they had a collectors case like you see in trading card stores with a limited number of cards each day. You could check the case everyday and maybe buy something for money if it pops up on random rotation. It would kind of gate the pay to win community but give you a shot to get some stuff.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Here's my revised list, had to play a Mystic in there because of the meta.

Now if only we would get more good value dragons in the 6-8 mana cost, this deck would get even more powerful.

You talked about weakening a deck by running sub-optimal Dragon cards and here you are with Alexstrasza in the deck. She's pretty weak if you're running her for healing and mid-range decks are going to be going face enough you can't really use her for damage.

zoukka

You talked about weakening a deck by running sub-optimal Dragon cards and here you are with Alexstrasza in the deck. She's pretty weak if you're running her for healing and mid-range decks are going to be going face enough you can't really use her for damage.

Alex is great in control matchups where you don't go face until very late game. And against aggro I have played her plenty of times for 7 mana on turn 6. Consort is most powerful with Alex and Ysera at the moment.

Acinixys

They should make a mode where you can put every card in the game in one deck

So you can mix and match all the class specific cards to make ridiculous combos

Like freeze mage but with shaman spells included

Would have to be a casual mode though

They should make a mode where you can put every card in the game in one deck

So you can mix and match all the class specific cards to make ridiculous combos

Like freeze mage but with shaman spells included

Would have to be a casual mode though

And allow for more than two copies of any card of course.

Gorehowl has been pretty good as a finisher. Alternatives are fun, though.
Oh yeah, no doubt. I just meant Gorehowl with the Crusher. It'll only deal 11 damage but activates on 15. You could also use Death's Bite but with control Warrior, chances are you'll want to be more liberal with the AoE it has.

Rapstah

Oh yeah, no doubt. I just meant Gorehowl with the Crusher. It'll only deal 11 damage but activates on 15. You could also use Death's Bite but with control Warrior, chances are you'll want to be more liberal with the AoE it has.

Yeah, that sounds like a pretty good sequence. Gorehowl as early as turn 7, optionally kill an enemy Taunt minion with it, and then on turn 8 or later, Crusher + Charge for 8 mana. 17-18 damage assuming your opponent is already at 15 health or less.

bjaelke

Loving the shenanigans you can pull off with double Resurrect.
Rdu only brought aggro decks to this tournament? Hope he gets destroyed and stubs his toe on the way out.

Thatnumberguy did something similar last month when he made his breakthrough.

shira

Noob question: I just started 3 days ago and several of my opponent is golden hero and start dropping multiple secret cards I've never even heard of. Is it even worth my time to play it out or auto-concede.

Zemm

I really wish they'd add a 'ban this class from matchmaking' option, other games do it and it would fix almost everyone's annoyances at the same time. Don't like playing face hunter? Ban. Don't like playing druid? Ban. Such an easy option to include that would make the game instantly better.

I really wish they'd add a 'ban this class from matchmaking' option, other games do it and it would fix almost everyone's annoyances at the same time. Don't like playing face hunter? Ban. Don't like playing druid? Ban. Such an easy option to include that would make the game instantly better.

Everyone will just ban all the classes except the one that their deck is best against

clav

Noob question: I just started 3 days ago and several of my opponent is golden hero and start dropping multiple secret cards I've never even heard of. Is it even worth my time to play it out or auto-concede.

Depends what you feel like.

Some people like masturbating their egos in this game in ladder, so I think I'm going to lean towards arena from now on.

I just started 2 days ago and I am hooked! I'm feeling my social life fading away already :p

I am following the OP advices and reading beginners tutorials and whatnot.

My mage is lvl14 and I'm doing well on casual mode so far.

Any advices are welcome :)

clav

I just started 2 days ago and I am hooked! I'm feeling my social life fading away already :p

I am following the OP advices and reading beginners tutorials and whatnot.

My mage is lvl14 and I'm doing well on casual mode so far.

Any advices are welcome :)

Post deck list.

br3wnor

You're gonna lose but worth playing it out just to see what their strategies and cards are. Shouldn't be worried about winning when you first start out. Get the hang of how the game is played and start getting packs as your gold grows.

Sblargh

Banned
Anyone is playing right now could give me their battle.net tag so I could watch you win? :X

I promise not to judge... ehrm... out loud.

Special C

Secrets are intimidating when you first start out but they aren't anything OP (some might disagree). They do affect newer players the most who haven't learned how to play around them yet.

Grim Patron warrior is pretty damn fun. Even if I lose I still enjoyed the game and most of my losses are my own fault.

I'm crushing face hunters with it so that is a bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom