• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet you guys get this all the time, but if I'm a new player who only wants to buy one expansion for now, should it be Nax or Blackrock Mountain?

My vote is for Naxx. Too many cards that get used in so many decks. Not seeing the same potential out of Blackrock.

I bet you guys get this all the time, but if I'm a new player who only wants to buy one expansion for now, should it be Nax or Blackrock Mountain?

I think it depends on what type of deck you want to build. But generally speaking... I am going to guess and say naxxramas has more core cards. But we've also yet to see how well the rest of the cards in BRM work, even some of the cards that are out aren't effective til we see the rest of the cards.

Naxxramas has loatheb and BRM has emperor thaurissan. Both are heavily used cards in many decks and perhaps the most important neutral cards from each set.

Naxxramas has sludge belcher, another heavily used card. Zombie chow is very good at early board control. Mad scientist is often key to secret based decks working. Neurubian egg has its place, often in aggressive control decks. Haunted creeper is the stickiest 2 drop.

BRM has good cards too, but it is hard to tell which cards will stick around for a while and which are really niche.

It is a tough call to make tbh. Buy both?
blush.gif

Shai-Tan

Banned
I'm 1 and 9 today, including an 0-3 arena. Probably should take a break as I am clearly tilting (I conceded turn 1 in arena out of frustration) but I'm not that smart.

I lost all the way from rank 1 to rank 6 (vs hunter and zoo) and almost disenchanted all my cards. I'm actually still considering it actually. I think I'm way too intense into the game and between playing it and watching it on twitch it's a huge time investment. It doesn't seem like I'm capable of playing this game casually. I "quit" after gvg came out but all my cards were still there and I slowly got drawn into the game again after seeing some of the new cards :/ I know if I only uninstall it off all my devices I'll want to test the new cards next week :0

Levi

Banned

Nax.

Lots of cards that will improve any deck. Brm looks to be more specialized so far.

Raxus

Naxx first for sure. Sludge Belcher, Loatheb and tons of great class cards.

The biggest BRM cards have yet to be released and even then they benefit from Naxx's cards.

chixdiggit

New to this game. I am playing against someone in my first Arena match. He has like 11 health and I have 24. Can more than likely end it next round. Except the next round will not happen. It's his turn and he is not doing anything. Also no timer appears to hurry him a long. What to do?

Levi

Banned
New to this game. I am playing against someone in my first Arena match. He has like 11 health and I have 24. Can more than likely end it next round. Except the next round will not happen. It's his turn and he is not doing anything. Also no timer appears to hurry him a long. What to do?

You disconnected. Restart the client. You may reconnect to the game, but if it's been a while you have probably lost.

I would contact blizzard support chat. They can't give you a new arena key but if you explain your situation and ask nicely they may give you a free pack.

chixdiggit

You disconnected. Restart the client. You may reconnect to the game, but if it's been a while you have probably lost.

I would contact blizzard support chat. They can't give you a new arena key but if you explain your situation and ask nicely they may give you a free pack.

Ah what the heck. I got a loss. I totally had the win too.

Milennia

well the last 2 decks i have left to craft are priest and shaman.. the new BRM card tgaht comes out this week for shaman looks nice, might just go with shaman and craft both legendaries.

tylerf

Just had a priest yolo thoughtsteal an equality-consecration combo to stop me from having lethal. I still ended up winning but sometimes it feels like the RNG in this game is scripted.

$50 for both raids? That seems a bit pricey.

It kinda is, but you get a decent amount of content. Foe each one you get ~50 cards, which is worth as much as 10 packs, which would be $15 by itself, plus you get about 15 boss challenges, Heroic versions of those challenges, Class challenges, and card backs.

Right now it seems fine to me (still less than a AAA game and more enjoyable than a lot of from the last 2 years), but you still have the issue of new players trying to get into the game in a year or two and having the cumulative costs of all these Adventures.

well the last 2 decks i have left to craft are priest and shaman.. the new BRM card tgaht comes out this week for shaman looks nice, might just go with shaman and craft both legendaries.

I wouldn't bother with Neptulon. The Soviet Emperor fills his spot pretty well.

Wow, so I am listening to music on pandora and happen to be listening to songs from games. And what happens... this song comes on (the dovakin song from skyrim). Then my dragon paladin deck comes against a dragon warrior deck. The perfect intro song for an epic clash between two dragon decks. I won out in the end, which makes it feel extra special :D

Neptulon is actually quite good. I wish I had him. Such high value, plus quite a decent reason to maybe include lava shock. I know a lot of shaman decks post gvg run him. Most do, excluding aggro.

And fireguard destroyer may potentially put shaman back on the map. That guy... lots of decks have a hard time dealing with 5 hp on turn 4 which is why yetis were considered so strong. But now you have a 6 hp, potentially 6-7 attack. Damn.

I just got BM'd to death in arena b/c I whirling Zap o matic'd a warrior to death...I felt bad until he started raging. I had nothing in my hand except for nukes. Had he actually killed it, I would've been dead in the water for multiple turns.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
$50 for both raids? That seems a bit pricey.

Granted the base game is free, but I'd agree it IS pricey. It's only gonna get worse as time goes on unless Blizzard figures out a better pricing model.

I'm not even suggesting Blizz give away shit for free. Just make the old raids like $10 a pop when the next new raid after BRM hits.

KePoW

Banned
Granted the base game is free, but I'd agree it IS pricey. It's only gonna get worse as time goes on unless Blizzard figures out a better pricing model.

I'm not even suggesting Blizz give away shit for free. Just make the old raids like $10 a pop when the next new raid after BRM hits.

Blizzard doesn't need to figure anything out if lots of people bought the first two expansions

I don't think we publically know the numbers, but all signs point to excellent results for Blizzard in that regard

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Blizzard doesn't need to figure anything out if lots of people bought the first two expansions

I don't think we publically know the numbers, but all signs point to excellent results for Blizzard in that regard

A ton of people bought WoW as well. Doesn't mean they didn't change the old content to cost less.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Doesn't WoW just eventually make expansions just a part of the base game at some point?

I suspect Hearthstone may work the same way. Maybe once the next Adventure comes out they'll make Naxx free. And after a couple card pack expansions they'll rejigger packs, like phasing out certain cards and combining expansions into the classic set.

Doesn't WoW just eventually make expansions just a part of the base game at some point?

I suspect Hearthstone may work the same way. Maybe once the next Adventure comes out they'll make Naxx free. And after a couple card pack expansions they'll rejigger packs, like phasing out certain cards and combining expansions into the classic set.

I think so. I am pretty sure I got some offers to come back with a free expansion attached. I know they do that much. I think they do sell some expansions as part of the base game now, or at least I wouldn't be surprised, but you're still paying something and you're paying a sub as well.

Since this is a f2p game... with no sub... there is much less incentive for them to make a deal even close to that. Although I think they might reduce the cost of adventures or something like that. But free seems like that won't happen, ever.

edit:
Well I take back the "ever". I think it could happen much later down the road. I think they do have some incentive, which is to get people to start playing of course, and perhaps eventually buy some of the content.

Gotchaye

Something I've noticed about the f2p games I've played is that they seem really reluctant to significantly reduce prices over time. I played League of Legends for a long time and it just got more and more expensive (in money or time) for a new player to get caught up. It's honestly surprising to me that the game can still attract many new players (if indeed it is) when the barrier to entry is so high.

clav

Something I've noticed about the f2p games I've played is that they seem really reluctant to significantly reduce prices over time. I played League of Legends for a long time and it just got more and more expensive (in money or time) for a new player to get caught up. It's honestly surprising to me that the game can still attract many new players (if indeed it is) when the barrier to entry is so high.

I was thinking of getting into LoL, but now that you say that, can you tell me the details of why the game is unfriendly to new players?

I thought Hearthstone was close because of ranked ladder. My Paladin deck still doesn't run any legendaries after playing the game for two months.

Dahbomb

LoL like most MOBAs has obtuse mechanics that you can't just learn from playing the tutorial or watching a few videos. Many characters and items means there's a wealth of information you have to seep through to fundamentally understand the game. And LoL is among the EASIER MOBAs around. Also each game is fairly long and lots of variables in the game means you have to invest a ton of time to get decent at the game.. Team game means that newcomers are berated for sucking and dragging the team down.

DOTAs has even more obscure stuff that only people who played the game for a long time know about. Stuff like denying, creep pulling/stacking is hard to explain to newcomers at a fundamental level.

Gotchaye

I was thinking of getting into LoL, but now that you say that, can you tell me the details of why the game is unfriendly to new players?

There are some general things that have been around since the game launched (you have to do a lot of grinding to get super-important persistent bonuses for characters on your account), but what makes it harder for a new player now than it used to be is just that they've added lots of new characters over the several years the game's been out and they don't cut the prices of old characters nearly fast enough to compensate. The number of characters has more than doubled since launch, new characters tend to be priced high, and cuts to old characters' prices are infrequent and often not that significant. As time has gone on, a new player has had to grind for longer and longer to get to a point where they have a sizable enough roster of decent characters to be competitive.

I brought it up because people are talking about how now a new Hearthstone player needs the Naxx cards and now the BRM cards, and the random card pool has expanded massively with GvG, and at no point has it gotten significantly easier for a new player to get any of the very old content. Like, I thought it was frustrating when I started a few months after launch and people had all these legendaries, but it wasn't that long before I had a reasonable enough collection to try out most styles of play. Other than Control Warrior I could put together an okay version of just about any competitive deck. I don't think it really works that way anymore, although Hearthstone is nice insofar as if you want to just play one specific deck you need at most 30 new cards. But I suspect that even the average rarity of cards in lots of deck types has gone up (counting Adventure cards' rarity as a function of what wing they're in, I guess). I feel like it'd take a much longer time to get to a point where you'd have enough of the old stuff to be almost entirely concerned with saving up for a new Adventure or for the important cards in a new set.

//ARCANUM

So I finally built a half way decent deck and am rising in rank slightly (up to 16 when I was stuck at 2ish for a long time) and I keep encountering a *really* annoying kind of player and I'm wondering if this is some kind of cheap strategy that people are using? Basically I keep getting (this has happened to me 3 times in the past 10 or so matches I've played) players who will take the absolute full amount of time to play their turn. As in they will let the end of turn timer run out even when they clearly are completely done. It's pretty clear that they're using a strategy of taking forever in hopes that I'll just give up and concede. I'm wondering if this is a widespread issue that people have run in to or if I am just having terrible luck?

It's super annoying and super cheap.

edit - and i should mention i usually take my full turn in about 30 seconds.

clav

So I finally built a half way decent deck and am rising in rank slightly (up to 16 when I was stuck at 2ish for a long time) and I keep encountering a *really* annoying kind of player and I'm wondering if this is some kind of cheap strategy that people are using? Basically I keep getting (this has happened to me 3 times in the past 10 or so matches I've played) players who will take the absolute full amount of time to play their turn. As in they will let the end of turn timer run out even when they clearly are completely done. It's pretty clear that they're using a strategy of taking forever in hopes that I'll just give up and concede. I'm wondering if this is a widespread issue that people have run in to or if I am just having terrible luck?

What's your deck?

At what turn do your games end?

How did you start from rank 2?

LoL like most MOBAs has obtuse mechanics that you can't just learn from playing the tutorial or watching a few videos. Many characters and items means there's a wealth of information you have to seep through to fundamentally understand the game. And LoL is among the EASIER MOBAs around. Also each game is fairly long and lots of variables in the game means you have to invest a ton of time to get decent at the game.. Team game means that newcomers are berated for sucking and dragging the team down.

DOTAs has even more obscure stuff that only people who played the game for a long time know about. Stuff like denying, creep pulling/stacking is hard to explain to newcomers at a fundamental level.

There are some general things that have been around since the game launched (you have to do a lot of grinding to get super-important persistent bonuses for characters on your account), but what makes it harder for a new player now than it used to be is just that they've added lots of new characters over the several years the game's been out and they don't cut the prices of old characters nearly fast enough to compensate. The number of characters has more than doubled since launch, new characters tend to be priced high, and cuts to old characters' prices are infrequent and often not that significant. As time has gone on, a new player has had to grind for longer and longer to get to a point where they have a sizable enough roster of decent characters to be competitive.

I brought it up because people are talking about how now a new Hearthstone player needs the Naxx cards and now the BRM cards, and the random card pool has expanded massively with GvG, and at no point has it gotten significantly easier for a new player to get any of the very old content. Like, I thought it was frustrating when I started a few months after launch and people had all these legendaries, but it wasn't that long before I had a reasonable enough collection to try out most styles of play. Other than Control Warrior I could put together an okay version of just about any competitive deck. I don't think it really works that way anymore, although Hearthstone is nice insofar as if you want to just play one specific deck you need at most 30 new cards. But I suspect that even the average rarity of cards in lots of deck types has gone up (counting Adventure cards' rarity as a function of what wing they're in, I guess). I feel like it'd take a much longer time to get to a point where you'd have enough of the old stuff to be almost entirely concerned with saving up for a new Adventure or for the important cards in a new set.

Hm. Ok. Guess I won't be playing LoL anytime soon.

Thanks for the heads up.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
While I'm biased, I feel if you are going to play a Moba, just played Dota, if only so you don't have to grind for characters in it.
4mC962j.gif

Got lucky and pulled a Jaraxxus earlier so I promptly crafted Mal'Ganis. Have to say, Demonlock is some of the most fun I've had over the last few months. Love using Bane of Doom and getting a soul crushing Jaraxxus or Mal'Ganis from it.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
How does anyone deal with all the Mage Secret cards? I'm only Rank 20 so people playing around the cards is rare but they're absolutely suffocating. I drew my Velvet Teacher and then 4 more spell cards and just went HAM on this poor Hunter. Froze his entire field (5 minions), copied his 7 Mana Monster, turned his copy into a Sheep, Counterspelled his field wipe, all in two turns. I've only played one other person with Secrets but this has to be infuriating. Mage is fun, they've counter for everything. Then again, Secrets are easy to play around. Attack with low mana minions first, summon trash minions to proc, use the coin for magic clearing, ect ect.

Rapstah

There was a theory going around that if you take your full turns against a mobile player, chances are the mobile player is going to have to quit at some point.

How does anyone deal with all the Mage Secret cards? I'm only Rank 20 so people playing around the cards is rare but they're absolutely suffocating. I drew my Velvet Teacher and then 4 more spell cards and just went HAM on this poor Hunter. Froze his entire field (5 minions), copied his 7 Mana Monster, turned his copy into a Sheep, Counterspelled his field wipe, all in two turns. I've only played one other person with Secrets but this has to be infuriating. Mage is fun, they've counter for everything. Then again, Secrets are easy to play around. Attack with low mana minions first, summon trash minions to proc, use the coin for magic clearing, ect ect.

There's like five of them. I don't think any popular decks run more than two different secrets. It's usually really obvious which ones they are.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
There was a theory going around that if you take your full turns against a mobile player, chances are the mobile player is going to have to quit at some point.
There's like five of them. I don't think any popular decks run more than two different secrets. It's usually really obvious which ones they are.
First off, that anti-mobile thing is fucked up. I was playing a match waiting for a irl job to start, someone did that to me. 10 minute match took 20 minutes.

Yup, five of them I believe. They're kind of a crutch right now and I play them the exact same way every time. Copy at 5, destroy at 7, armor asap or before lose, counter spell at 4. But their so mana efficient compared to what cards I have right now since I'm not buying card packs. 3 mana to do any one of these things : 8 armor, insta-kill enemy minion, copy enemy minion, negate enemy spell. Obviously, I'm not gonna double up any of them but from 5 mana on their nothing but benefit as far as I play.

Brakara

First off, that anti-mobile thing is fucked up. I was playing a match waiting for a irl job to start, someone did that to me. 10 minute match took 20 minutes.

Eh, I've had this happen to me several times before the mobile versions were out. It's just dicks being dicks.

So probably a dumb question, but with new phone players and Grim Patron decks everywhere, could Nozdormu start so see play because the animations take so goddamn long?

Acinixys

Better players will know what secrets a class has and play around that

4 of mages secrets are defensive, and the other 3 can be easily countered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom