• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I guess Hearthstone is impossible to get back to if you never bought any cards (when I used to play in "vanilla" all my gold was for arena runs), everyone I meet is full of legendaries and shit, even in casual. And don't tell me Legendaries don't win games :)

I mean it's fine and I guess expectes, im not bitching about it but I wonder what new players will think when all they get are matched against these decks

I would stick to arenas again but when j can do dailies with my shit decks because I can't win games that's kinda hard :p

There actually are still decks that run few if any legendary cards at all. Zoolock is still a thing, in fact just making a comeback recently. Face hunter is still a thing. Now there is mech mage, which has 1-2 legendaries usually but I wouldn't say they are absolutely mandatory for the deck to work. You can build it slightly more aggressive or with more staying power in other ways.

Plus GVG did not really introduce a lot of "must have" degrees of strength legendary cards. A lot of the good gvg cards are rare and commons and those are easily gotten from packs since there aren't a lot of cards in the set.

Dahbomb

Demonwrath was among my top 5 card going into BRM (others were Thaurissan, Dragon Consort, Quick Shot and Dark Iron Skulker).

Here's why I think Demonwrath should be auto include in every Demonlock deck over Hellfire:

*It comes out a turn faster. Absolutely crucial to get it out faster in order to kill the Face Hunter aggression.

*Doesn't kill your own minions meaning you can play this in a more aggressive Demonlock deck and gain tempo advantage.

*Doesn't hurt yourself. Mid game this becomes a big deal when you are up against a Face Hunter and they have a bunch of X/1s on the board plus a Knife Juggler but you are also on low health. You can potentially win the game from the clear but if you use Hellfire you might kill your taunt OR you might put yourself in lethal range for a Face Hunter top dick (and you can bet your candy ass this might happen if you use Hellfire).

Basically as long as the meta is using Face Hunters then this card needs to be put in Warlock decks... period. Hellfire is not good against Face Hunters... they will GLADLY get their board killed off for 3 extra face damage because their minions have already gotten value by doing face damage already!

Did I mention it's basically a turn 3 Consecrate? Because it is and that thing still gets run in decks, same for Holy Nova. 3 damage is indeed the money damage you want from AOE these days (kills Shredders, Clerics, Mana Wyrms, Mech Warpers, Snowchuggers etc) but 2 damage a turn earlier is very beastly ESPECIALLY in a Face Hunter meta.

I think a turn 3 consecrate is bad 90% of the time. Just putting that out there. Because a turn 4 consecrate is bad 90% of the time.

edit:

To elaborate, the 1 mana cheaper is nice and all. But not for being able to play it sooner, but for having additional mana to develop the board with on later turns. 2 damage aoe is nothing special though, and consecrate isn't special and it is frankly often bad although still a necessary component. So I don't think a 3 mana consecration is something so good that you don't want to pass up on, because it is just... perhaps a slightly better card than consecration... except in a class that is by no means lacking good aoe.

I think 3 damage of hellfire is what is important in an AOE, and not worth giving up. The difference between 2 damage and 3 damage aoe... is absolutely huge. Think about it this way.

What does 2 damage do to grim patron decks? How about a muster/quartermaster combo? There are no demons that have spelldamage, so you can't even get it to hit for 3 cleanly. Maybe including a thalnos is worth it? Probably not, but maybe. You're now spending 5 mana for 3 damage aoe + a card cycle though. But I guess thalnos is not worthless for other spell damage uses, but is taking up a slot that is being highly competed for.

clav

So I guess Hearthstone is impossible to get back to if you never bought any cards (when I used to play in "vanilla" all my gold was for arena runs), everyone I meet is full of legendaries and shit, even in casual. And don't tell me Legendaries don't win games :)

I mean it's fine and I guess expectes, im not bitching about it but I wonder what new players will think when all they get are matched against these decks

I would stick to arenas again but when j can do dailies with my shit decks because I can't win games that's kinda hard :p
I still haven't bought any cards, and I can still somewhat enjoy it.

Almost at rank 12 on ladder.

Edit: Now rank 12.

I think a turn 3 consecrate is bad 90% of the time. Just putting that out there. Because a turn 4 consecrate is bad 90% of the time.

edit:

To elaborate, the 1 mana cheaper is nice and all. But not for being able to play it sooner, but for having additional mana to develop the board with on later turns. 2 damage aoe is nothing special though, and consecrate isn't special and it is frankly often bad although still a necessary component. So I don't think a 3 mana consecration is something so good that you don't want to pass up on, because it is just... perhaps a slightly better card than consecration... except in a class that is by no means lacking good aoe.

I think 3 damage of hellfire is what is important in an AOE, and not worth giving up. The difference between 2 damage and 3 damage aoe... is absolutely huge. Think about it this way.

What does 2 damage do to grim patron decks? How about a muster/quartermaster combo? There are no demons that have spelldamage, so you can't even get it to hit for 3 cleanly. Maybe including a thalnos is worth it? Probably not, but maybe. You're not spending 5 mana for 3 damage aoe + a card cycle though. But I guess thalnos is not worthless for other spell damage uses, but is taking up a slot that is being highly competed for.

Depends on the matchup.

Paladin mirror matchups will burn a consecrate as soon as muster for battle is played.

Also if it's a rush deck, you want to keep a consecrate. I usually keep one for Mages and Hunters.

I recently put Frostwolf Warlord back in my deck because I keep complaining how I don't have enough heavy dealing minions. Works very well.

You can have a pretty powerful card at Turn 5.

Cat Party

Icy-veins has deck builds for each class that don't include epics or legendaries. I've never used them but they look good and are similar to the decks I used when I started a few months ago. Worth checking out.

Ashodin

Demonwrath was among my top 5 card going into BRM (others were Thaurissan, Dragon Consort, Quick Shot and Dark Iron Skulker).

Here's why I think Demonwrath should be auto include in every Demonlock deck over Hellfire:

*It comes out a turn faster. Absolutely crucial to get it out faster in order to kill the Face Hunter aggression.

*Doesn't kill your own minions meaning you can play this in a more aggressive Demonlock deck and gain tempo advantage.

*Doesn't hurt yourself. Mid game this becomes a big deal when you are up against a Face Hunter and they have a bunch of X/1s on the board plus a Knife Juggler but you are also on low health. You can potentially win the game from the clear but if you use Hellfire you might kill your taunt OR you might put yourself in lethal range for a Face Hunter top dick (and you can bet your candy ass this might happen if you use Hellfire).

Basically as long as the meta is using Face Hunters then this card needs to be put in Warlock decks... period. Hellfire is not good against Face Hunters... they will GLADLY get their board killed off for 3 extra face damage because their minions have already gotten value by doing face damage already!

Did I mention it's basically a turn 3 Consecrate? Because it is and that thing still gets run in decks, same for Holy Nova. 3 damage is indeed the money damage you want from AOE these days (kills Shredders, Clerics, Mana Wyrms, Mech Warpers, Snowchuggers etc) but 2 damage a turn earlier is very beastly ESPECIALLY in a Face Hunter meta.

see this guy gets it

Depends on the matchup.

Paladin mirror matchups will burn a consecrate as soon as muster for battle is played.

And when they actually need the consecration, they're probably screwed. Trust me, they aren't using consecration because they want to. They are making a bad move because they are afraid, and often over-reacting, to the possibility of a strong quartermaster turn.

But sometimes playing around a card actually makes you lose because you literally just spent 4 mana to get rid of like half the power of a 3 mana card. Later on in the game when they have 1 or even 0 consecrations left, they will look back and lament the wasted potential of a consecration because they delayed the usage of a single card.

Granted, I've been there, done that. You really really don't want to play consecration on turn 4, unless a player somehow over commits to the board and at high level play that almost never happens. I think the times I am okay with consecration on turn 4 is when they have a knife juggler + more, cause 1. I hate that bugger, and 2. knife juggler's damage output is just too much when it goes unchecked.

edit:
Also if it's a rush deck, you want to keep a consecrate. I usually keep one for Mages and Hunters.

I recently put Frostwolf Warlord back in my deck because I keep complaining how I don't have enough heavy dealing minions. Works very well.

You can have a pretty powerful card at Turn 5.

It depends on the rush deck tbh. Yes you want consecration but you don't necessarily want it from the beginning of the game. Paladin wants zombie chows, shielded minibots, harvest golems, and basically sticky/proactive minions against aggro decks.

Consecration vs face hunter? Usually not good enough. You clear their board and all they do is hit you with charge minions and weapons. Then next round you don't have any board yourself, because all you could do is consecrate, and you're staring a 3/1 minion who already dealt 3 damage and you're going to take another 3 damage next turn because of your decision to consecrate. Consecration just is too slow against face hunter to keep in your mulligan, most of the time. If you already have a zombie chow or minibot, maybe consecration is ok. Going first or second makes a difference too.

As for mech mage, I think I talked about this match up with you before. Again you really want proactive minions. They don't have a lot of minions that consecration can just wipe off the board without you having damaged them already.

Frostwolf warlord... is okay... in a budget deck. But you'll eventually replace him.

KuroNeeko

With Hearthstone's release on android, I've been playing a bit after taking a 10-month break.

I was a druid / warlock player in WoW back in Vanilla and still like the flavor behind the druid class in Hearthstone, but I think I really like Shaman a bit more mechanics-wise. Seems like a really balanced hero, though I imagine that once you start yielding the initiative it can be hard to come back.

Has there been word on the addition of new heroes or even just portrait swaps? Like, I can see how balancing a new Hero would be a pain, but how about some alternate choices for heroes? I could get behind a Tauren druid or a blood elf paladin! And where the heck are all the Forsaken?

Dahbomb

On the topic of Muster + Quarter and Grim Patron:

Demonwrath would kill off the dudes spawned on turn 3 as it is also a turn 3 spell. If it's being used on turn 8 as a combo then at that time you should have Shadowflame to counter (Shadowflame + Demonwrath is what people should be running for versatility, one for early game and one for mid/late game AOE).

On Grim Patrons, if they got a bunch of them out then you are already dead. It's their win condition.

Remember when people thought Grim Patron would be crap because of stuff like Flamestrike and Hellfire? Yeah well Warsong Commander has made it so that Grim Patron is basically just used at the end to win the game before they can be AOE'd down.

Has there been word on the addition of new heroes or even just portrait swaps? Like, I can see how balancing a new Hero would be a pain, but how about some alternate choices for heroes? I could get behind a Tauren druid or a blood elf paladin! And where the heck are all the Forsaken?

Pretty sure they mentioned they are interested in alternate heroes, example they gave was swapping Garrosh for King Varian Wrynn. Which would be kind of weird since pretty much every warrior exclusive card is Horde related? I dunno if they would go through the trouble of reskinning and doing new voice overs for every card and changing them from Kor'kron Elites, Warsong Commanders, and Grom Hellscream himself into Alliance variants of the same card.

I dunno what hero powers Death Knight and Monk could have, but Darion Mograine and Taran Zhu seem like good candidates for the character. Although introducing a completely new hero would mean they have to match the current amount of 2 class exclusive legendaries, tons of epics/rares, etc. I could see them turning Undead into a category like pirate/murloc with the DK inclusion, since there are already tons of cards that would fall under that label and it could lead to some Hunter/Beast type of synergies.

clav

And when they actually need the consecration, they're probably screwed. Trust me, they aren't using consecration because they want to. They are making a bad move because they are afraid, and often over-reacting, to the possibility of a strong quartermaster turn.

But sometimes playing around a card actually makes you lose because you literally just spent 4 mana to get rid of like half the power of a 3 mana card. Later on in the game when they have 1 or even 0 consecrations left, they will look back and lament the wasted potential of a consecration because they delayed the usage of a single card.

Granted, I've been there, done that. You really really don't want to play consecration on turn 4, unless a player somehow over commits to the board and at high level play that almost never happens. I think the times I am okay with consecration on turn 4 is when they have a knife juggler + more, cause 1. I hate that bugger, and 2. knife juggler's damage output is just too much when it goes unchecked.

edit:

It depends on the rush deck tbh. Yes you want consecration but you don't necessarily want it from the beginning of the game. Paladin wants zombie chows, shielded minibots, harvest golems, and basically sticky/proactive minions against aggro decks.

Consecration vs face hunter? Usually not good enough. You clear their board and all they do is hit you with charge minions and weapons. Then next round you don't have any board yourself, because all you could do is consecrate, and you're staring a 3/1 minion who already dealt 3 damage and you're going to take another 3 damage next turn because of your decision to consecrate. Consecration just is too slow against face hunter to keep in your mulligan, most of the time. If you already have a zombie chow or minibot, maybe consecration is ok. Going first or second makes a difference too.

As for mech mage, I think I talked about this match up with you before. Again you really want proactive minions. They don't have a lot of minions that consecration can just wipe off the board without you having damaged them already.

Frostwolf warlord... is okay... in a budget deck. But you'll eventually replace him.

Hard to do without certain adventure pack cards.

I'm playing this game without them yet.

Sometimes I feel like there needs a backup strat for vanilla players with GvG. Every answer can't be get the cards. Usually another way of approaching is adding certain health minions that everyone has access.

There's no one right answer to everything either as I think the reason why people play fast decks is there are windows of opportunity in RNG for a mediocre deck to beat an excellent deck.

//ARCANUM

Decks with tons of charge (wolfrider, arcane golem and Huffer every time I swear to God) and low cost minions (Abusive Sarge, Haunted Creeper) who only hit the enemy hero (the face)

Takes about 20 brain cells to play and is pretty damn effective. The goal is to have your enemy nearly dead by the time they can do anything to counter it like Sludge Belcher, so you can quick shot/hero power/skill command their face.

ah okay cool, i'm not running one of those (which someone else asked if I was previously). this is what I'm running. I'm not sure what you'd call it. I'm open to any suggestions for improvements!

GSz7oP0.png

edit - and this deck has taken me from rank 20 to 15 in a couple days with some light casual play.

ah okay cool, i'm not running one of those (which someone else asked if I was previously). this is what I'm running. I'm not sure what you'd call it. I'm open to any suggestions for improvements!

edit - and this deck has taken me from rank 20 to 15 in a couple days with some light casual play.

That's closer to midrange hunter with the houndmasters and highmanes. Might want to take out undertakers and replace them with Piloted Shredders if you got them. Also try and fit in Unleash the Hounds if you have that, and take out flares/tracking. That's just my opinion, if it's working for you good. Oh and Belchers if you have them.

//ARCANUM

That's closer to midrange hunter with the houndmasters and highmanes. Might want to take out undertakers and replace them with Piloted Shredders if you got them. Also try and fit in Unleash the Hounds if you have that, and take out flares/tracking. That's just my opinion, if it's working for you good. Oh and Belchers if you have them.

well the undertakers are a pretty good combo with all the death rattlers in the deck. if I'm able to get 1 or both undertakers in my opening hand, I can win pretty damn quickly in most cases coupled with death rattlers. everything is kind of focused around the death rattling, and the flares are pretty much my defense against other hunters and mages. not sure if I want to take out any of those. not sure how well unleash the hounds would do since i'm not really running much else to buff them.

Rapstah

well the undertakers are a pretty good combo with all the death rattlers in the deck. if I'm able to get 1 or both undertakers in my opening hand, I can win pretty damn quickly in most cases coupled with death rattlers. everything is kind of focused around the death rattling, and the flares are pretty much my defense against other hunters and mages. not sure if I want to take out any of those. not sure how well unleash the hounds would do since i'm not really running much else to buff them.

Unleash The Hounds can be a nice save for that one time out of ten you get Leokk from Animal Companion.

People would run Undertakers as the keystone of Hunter decks, but since the nerf I haven't seen a single one past the first week. If they still work that's good, but I think there are better things to put in now.

//ARCANUM

Unleash The Hounds can be a nice save for that one time out of ten you get Leokk from Animal Companion.

hmmm thats a good point...

People would run Undertakers as the keystone of Hunter decks, but since the nerf I haven't seen a single one past the first week. If they still work that's good, but I think there are better things to put in now.

yeah they pretty much have to be in my opening hand or my second draw in order to be super useful. do you have another decklist you can recommend?

yeah they pretty much have to be in my opening hand or my second draw in order to be super useful. do you have another decklist you can recommend?

This is what I run, which is pretty much the popular mid-range deck with a few tweaks. I don't play it much though so I'm not 100% sure how effective it is, and there are sure to be better players then me in here.

FNuecIj.png

It's pretty similar to these netdecks you can also use. Don't feel bad about netdecking, by the way. I still mostly look at popular decks and tweak them to my playstyle.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/196386-1eu-naimans-midrange-hunter

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/213473-now-streaming

It does use a few legendaries but they can be replaced. The good thing about these decks is that they are relatively cheap. If the deck you are using works fine, then keep using it.

Man. Freeze mage with kezan mystic is just nasty and disgusting.

Emperor Balance is crazy good in Freeze Mage. He makes it easier to play Anotonidas followed by a ton of cheap, possibly even free, spells to load up on Fireballs. He also makes it easier to play spells the same turn you play Alex which can get you the finish a turn earlier.

KuroNeeko

I'm still catching up to the current environment, but seems like a lot of the old staples have been phased out.

Novice Engineer, Shattered Sun Cleric, and Frostwind Yeti are no where near as common - at least not in the 25 - 20 ranks.

About Frostwind Yeti (4 cost 4/5), it looks like it's been replaced with Piloted Shredder - and I've made the switch for a lot of my decks, but do you think there is a place for it in some teams? I've actually chosen to keep them in my Shaman deck to take advantage of the extra +2 health and healing totems - or is the extra 2 drop worth it?

Alternate Heroes >

I think a Death Knight would be cool and all, but I want to see variants on the existing Heroes even if their hero powers stay the same. Seems completely doable to make a Forsaken Priest to counter Anduin, a Worgen Rogue to counter Valeera, a Draenei Shaman, a Troll Druid...even if a dwarf / gnome if you absolutely have to...

I'm still catching up to the current environment, but seems like a lot of the old staples have been phased out.

Novice Engineer, Shattered Sun Cleric, and Frostwind Yeti are no where near as common - at least not in the 25 - 20 ranks.

About Frostwind Yeti (4 cost 4/5), it looks like it's been replaced with Piloted Shredder - and I've made the switch for a lot of my decks, but do you think there is a place for it in some teams? I've actually chosen to keep them in my Shaman deck to take advantage of the extra +2 health and healing totems - or is the extra 2 drop worth it?

Alternate Heroes >

I think a Death Knight would be cool and all, but I want to see variants on the existing Heroes even if their hero powers stay the same. Seems completely doable to make a Forsaken Priest to counter Anduin, a Worgen Rogue to counter Valeera, a Draenei Shaman, a Troll Druid...even if a dwarf / gnome if you absolutely have to...

Yetis are still useful in Arena, but I think pretty much everyone has switched to Shredders as the best neutral 4 drop.

And I think for some classes they were already scratching the bottom of the lore barrel (Valeera lol) to get a new hero. Some ideas I have -
Warlock - Cho'gall, Medivh. Of course half the powerful demons count as Warlocks, but I assume they'd want to save Archimonde or Kil'Jaedan as a legendary.
Mage - Khadgar, Rhonin
Druid - Broll Bearmantle
Hunter - Veressa Windrunner? Should've saved Hemet as a hero and not made him into a terrible card
Warrior - Like half of the Iron Horde leaders in WoD, Muradin Bronzebeard
Rogue - Garona, Mathias Shaw, VanCleef's daughter, whoever her name was
Shaman - Drek'thar, Doomhammer but they already have the Doomhammer in so whatever
Paladin - Well they already used Tirion and Bolvar so I can't think of any other ones.
Priest - Tyrande?
Death Knight - Darion Mograine, Arthas, Thassarian
Monk - Taran Zhu, Chen Stormstout

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
The effects are pretty good in a vacuum, but by their nature secrets give your opponent a chance to play around them to minimize their impact. Playing a low cost guy if he thinks you have mirror entity, use his coin against your counterspell, attack with his 1/1 into Vaporize. However even if your opponent guesses what it is sometimes it screws up his plays anyways (doesn't play a big guy because he fears Mirror Entity and has no way to check for it).
Someone probably mentioned it, but if you like secrets you should go for the Mad scientist in Naxxramus (Not sure what wing he is in). Very good synergy especially with mage secrets, since they cost the most mana.
This is true and I've seen the effects. I've seen people end turns with cards I know they can play in their hand because they're trying to play around my Secrets. Granted, it's only temporarily delays them but yeah. Thing with the secrets is they also function as low cost spells for me. Proc'ing Velvet Teacher or Arcane Worm (That thing that +1 attack every spell) is worth it at pretty much any point for me. At what point in the ranks do people start actually playing them out though? Some people have just gone blindly into my Secrets. I know it won't last forever.

Speaking of Naxxramus.
I'm coming up on the 700 tokens I need to buy the first wing. Is that an efficient use of tokens? Tokens per Dollars wise?

Speaking of Naxxramus.
I'm coming up on the 700 tokens I need to buy the first wing. Is that an efficient use of tokens? Tokens per Dollars wise?

Using your gold on expansions is really inefficient compared to paying for them with real money and using your gold on arena/packs. Though if you really don't want to spend money on Hearthstone then it's not too bad to spend gold on Naxx since a lot of the cards are so great.

Now that I think about it, I'm not actually sure how much Blizzard cares about retaining some kind of Alliance/Horde thing or keeping it close to the lore, considering Anduin, the son of the Alliance leader, has the current Warchief (Vol'jin) as a class exclusive card, lol.

Valeera is also Alliance aligned and can use Gallywix exclusively, a Horde leader.

Sure every class can use Sylvanis and Mekkatorque, but I dunno if the dev team is concerned with any of this. What I really want are more unique interactions between a minion and a hero, like with Cairne and Garrosh or Illidan and Malfurion. Even unique emotes/lines for heroes, like Garrosh against Thrall or Anduin against Valeera would be awesome.

And now that you can play as Ragnaros with Ragnaros on the board as a minion, who knows! Make Velen a Priest hero or VanCleef a Rogue hero, fuck it who cares. You could even swap out Anduin for Velen as the Priest legendary and have it do the same effect.

Now that I think about it, I'm not actually sure how much Blizzard cares about retaining some kind of Alliance/Horde thing or keeping it close to the lore, considering Anduin, the son of the Alliance leader, has the current Warchief (Vol'jin) as a class exclusive card, lol.

I may or may not still be a little salty that Shaman didn't get Vol'jin.

FeD.nL

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/static/images/blackrock-mountain/en-us/lair/demonwrath.png?v=58-15[/mg]

Demonlocks gonna get nuts.[/QUOTE]

It does make me wonder if running a single Ancient Mage might be worth it. Probably not but gonna try it out nonetheless.

It would basically cost the same as a flamestrike provided you have 2 demons on the board.

Hektor

It does make me wonder if running a single Ancient Mage might be worth it. Probably not but gonna try it out nonetheless.

It would basically cost the same as a flamestrike provided you have 2 demons on the board.

It would cost you one more mana, one more card, you would have to have 2 minions on the board and you need to have both the ancient mage and the demonwrath in your hand.

Or you could just watcher+shadow flame.

I don't think Warlocks have much trouble clearing a board right now.

ViviOggi

If you like the game enough to spend some real money do it on the adventures as they have a much better $:gold ratio than packs. At this point it looks like Naxx > Blackrock in terms of general usefulness, but you'll want the first Blackrock wing for Thaurissan regardless.

For arena to not end in tears you'll need a decent grasp of the basic systems and some arena-specific knowledge picked up from guides/streamers because competition is high, also drafting tools like Heartharena should help a lot at the beginning. Your first run is free though so you can dip your toes in a bit.

FeD.nL

It would cost you one more mana, one more card, you would have to have 2 minions on the board and you need to have both the ancient mage and the demonwrath in your hand.

Ancient mage is 4 mana right? And having demons on board has not been a really big problem atm.

Or you could just watcher+shadow flame.

I don't think Warlocks have much trouble clearing a board right now.

I don't run Watchers in my demonlock, and at the very least Ancient Mage provides synergy with other spells. But I really don't expect it to do well, but will try it out.

If you like the game enough to spend some real money do it on the adventures as they have a much better $:gold ratio than packs. At this point it looks like Naxx > Blackrock in terms of general usefulness, but you'll want the first Blackrock wing for Thaurissan regardless.

For arena to not end in tears you'll need a decent grasp of the basic systems and some arena-specific knowledge picked up from guides/streamers because competition is high, also drafting tools like Heartharena should help a lot at the beginning. Your first run is free though so you can dip your toes in a bit.

I already have 700 gold saved up to play the first part of Naxx.

I did the free run on Arena and won once lol

BraXzy

Holy crap I just had the LUCKIEST card draw ever. I was slowly losing to this Druid as a Hunter, he had a few weak-ish cards, a couple of high hitters like the 8/8 tree taunt and the 9/5 demon hound thing. Worst yet, he had thrown the treant deathrattle onto them all. I had nothing left in my hand and was playing on a newly drawn card each turn. He only had 5 hp but he had a taunt up and enough damage to take me out next turn.

My final turn begins and as I prepare to pass over into the afterlife, 'Kill Comand!' swoops out of my deck and into my hand. 3 damage that ignores a taunt? I have been blessed by the gods themselves.

KILL COMMAND! -3
FIRE THE STEADY SHOT OF DOOM! -2

Game.

I already have 700 gold saved up to play the first part of Naxx.

I did the free run on Arena and won once lol

I would save the money to use on Arena battles, and just buy the whole Naxx Adventure outright if you're okay with spending real money. Buying each wing individually is much more expensive Gold/Cash-wise than using that Gold in Arena or buying packs.

Hard to do without certain adventure pack cards.

I'm playing this game without them yet.

Sometimes I feel like there needs a backup strat for vanilla players with GvG. Every answer can't be get the cards. Usually another way of approaching is adding certain health minions that everyone has access.

There's no one right answer to everything either as I think the reason why people play fast decks is there are windows of opportunity in RNG for a mediocre deck to beat an excellent deck.

They don't necessarily have to be the exact cards I suggest. But from that small list, there is only 1 card that would be difficult to obtain for a new f2p player, which is zombie chow because it is in the latter half of naxx iirc. Maybe even the last wing.

Instead of zombie chow (which I generally only run a 1 of anyway, except in really heavy face hunter metas I run 2), you can run argent squire. Or humility kinda works instead in this one instance. I think zombie chow is perhaps the best card for this anti-aggro purpose but hardly the only one. Before zombie chow, argent squire was not abnormal for early board control.

Shielded minibot should be easily obtained. Haunted creeper is what I ran before minibot was in the game. IIRC that minion is in the first wing of naxxramas. Minibot is better though. Heck, maybe it is worth cutting the zombie chow and just playing haunted creeper. You have a slightly bigger window of how useful the minion is which means 1 fewer dead card (or at least 1 fewer less dead card if that makes sense) when it isn't played on curve.

Then for 3 drops you have two choices in this regard I feel, perhaps 3. Harvest golem is solid. Muster for battle is solid. But I think earthen ring farseer isn't a bad option.

I've been in your position before. I'm a f2p player as well. I spent a few on arena runs early on and that is all. 99% of my collection was earned. I've played decks with substitutions before. I don't think the answer is always "get the cards". You may have to think creatively to figure out solutions to replace cards you don't have. But in doing so you may learn quite a bit about the game that could be helpful in the long run.

ViviOggi

I love watching Savjz play Gimmick Warrior, it's a fun deck but moreso because chat swarm intelligence can constantly rage at him for subpar plays, it's the definitive backseat gaming deck

gutshot

Died to opponent's Ragnaros two games in a row and thought, I need a Rag. DE'd my King Mukla and crafted my own Firelord. First game played, he deals 24 damage to face.

BY FIRE BE PURGED

Aylinato

Died to opponent's Ragnaros two games in a row and thought, I need a Rag. DE'd my King Mukla and crafted my own Firelord. First game played, he deals 24 damage to face.

BY FIRE BE PURGED

Some poor warrior vs my handlock played rag, missed both my molten giant and my own rag, I played slyvannas and shadowflame, stole his rag, 24 damage one turn. Dude was BMing all game too

embalm

Holy crap I just had the LUCKIEST card draw ever. I was slowly losing to this Druid as a Hunter, he had a few weak-ish cards, a couple of high hitters like the 8/8 tree taunt and the 9/5 demon hound thing. Worst yet, he had thrown the treant deathrattle onto them all. I had nothing left in my hand and was playing on a newly drawn card each turn. He only had 5 hp but he had a taunt up and enough damage to take me out next turn.

My final turn begins and as I prepare to pass over into the afterlife, 'Kill Comand!' swoops out of my deck and into my hand. 3 damage that ignores a taunt? I have been blessed by the gods themselves.

KILL COMMAND! -3
FIRE THE STEADY SHOT OF DOOM! -2

Game.
Living in a Rexxar Paradise.

Hunter's usually run out of steam quickly and end up top decking if they don't kill their opponent. The situation you're describing is pretty common when a fast deck takes on a slow deck. The druid stabilized which means he won back the board with his bigger minions, but it wasn't enough.

You sound new to Hearthstone, welcome aboard the addiction train!

Living in a Rexxar Paradise.

Hunter's usually run out of steam quickly and end up top decking if they don't kill their opponent. The situation you're describing is pretty common when a fast deck takes on a slow deck. The druid stabilized which means he won back the board with his bigger minions, but it wasn't enough.

You sound new to Hearthstone, welcome aboard the addiction train!

This is the exact reason that I hate Quick Shot. I still can't believe that they thought it was a good idea to give Hunters a Dark Bomb that also draws a card. The only other 3 damage + card draw card is Hammer of Wrath, and it costs 4 mana. Granted, Quick Shot is conditional card draw, but still, it fits into what is currently the most annoying and overplayed deck.

tariniel

It's been a while since I played and I just started again because I can play on my phone at work, and I feel really bad using some of my older decks in 20+ stars. I played some poor Shaman who clearly was trying his best with a F2P Shaman deck and... he just had to go through so many taunts in my old ramp Druid deck that it was impossible for him.

I'm glad I got to complete my Druid daily but I feel like a scumbag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom