• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickyson1

arena meta so weak lately it's ridiculous

i'm up to a 5.7 win average my past 16 arena runs over the past week or so and that's like a win and a half better than usual for me

Cider X

Why have I been seeing a few priests run prophet velen to mindblast face?

Priests pls.

20 damage burst is fun... And not something priests had access to before Emperor. (Unless you count Velen, coin, mb, mb, but that combo is almost impossible to pull off.)

zoukka

How is it mediocre? Most of the time it comes out as a 4/6, sometimes even bigger.

Most of the time it comes out as 1 attack damage less than Hungry Dragon without giving them a minion. Against Face Hunters, Hungry Dragon can lose you the game if it spawns a 3/2 or a Leper Gnome but it's much better dropping down a Drake.

The "negative synergy" is trumped by getting a Drake for 2 mana if you even choose to do that. In my experience that 2 mana cost reduction is used for something bigger though and Drake is usually played BEFORE a Consort is.

Now obviously Drake is worse than a Shredder but you can't really put in Shredders in a dragon drake otherwise you start running out of dragons to activate your other cards. However, I would still argue that Drake is better than Hungry Dragon. Once people play around with the card they will realize it, it's not as OP as some people are thinking it will be. I do see some potential with using Hungry Dragon with MCT but that's yet another card you need to put in your dragon deck when it's already hard finding spots for the various dragon theme cards in a Paladin deck.

Yeah I think hungry dragon is pretty weak. And the amount of dragons you need to play depends on what kind of deck you play. I could see one twilight being ok but they are very weak against silence and bad top decks.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think you could add trample without to much issue, could be cool on a minion that can't attack face naturally.

A reverse trample could make a cool warlock card. That all / any excess damage to it would be delt to the warlock. Maybe some 1hp glass canon warlock minion with charge.

"2 mana 4/1, has charge. Any damage done to this minion is also delt to it's owner."

Dahbomb

I think Trample would shift the game too far towards aggro unless you introduced a new mechanic to balance it since you essentially can't react during an opponent's turn with instants.
I would imagine that these trample cards would just have lower attack damage than normal.

Sort of like Mistress of Pain or Axe Flinger.

Type2

Nice pack today!
tvOmwAz.jpg
Edit: a day late but

Levi

Banned
For Blood Mage Thalos, do you generally want to take him out fairly soon? He's +1 SD while on the table, but killing him gives the opponent another card. :/

Unless you're playing an aggressive deck with a win condition that relies on outracing your opponent, you should remove Thalnos asap. They are going to get the draw regardless, so why let them choose when they get it AND give them extra damage before they do? With Thalnos up Rogues can Backstab for 3 dmg, eviscerate for 5 dmg, add 1 to their blade flurries, all that extra damage adds up--with Oil rogue in particular the amount of damage that they can do is limited because most of it is spells. Don't make those spells more effective by ignoring the Bloodmage.

Dahbomb

You know, I'm surprised Mill Decks don't run Clockwork Giant.
Because it's not efficient for Milling.

Ideally a Mill Deck would use no creatures (but of course you still need some special minions which help you Mill and have some board presence). Putting out big threats like Clockwork allows them to use BGH or a removal spell like Execute. You want them to have as many dead cards in hand as possible.

Just throwing this out: does Hearthstone need something like Trample?

Not really...but if you wanted to implement it, I'd say it should be a purely defensive effect since the attacker for the most part assigns where damage goes. Make the trade decision a bit more interesting.

Speaking of milk decks..I just had two matches against the, with my midrange pally deck. even though I won, both games went super long. Look I just wanted to get my daily quests done quickly .

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Mech mage was predictable. Now I don't know what the hell I'm playing. Seriously, every single mage I've played in the last month has been different, and it's annoying not knowing what I'm up against.
Are you joking? That's awesome. It's actually playing the game and using flexible tactics instead of being a predictable bore that only plays to win. Some of you people are willing to have zero fun if it means you rank up. Jeez.

ViviOggi

Lumberer in general might be a better card than I/we initially thought, although it won't fit into standard faceroll combo Druid but a more board control-oriented list

rickyson1

it's so hard not to do an arena run but I got a shaman choice ready to go for thursday and who knows how tough it would be to get another

it's amazing how hard it's become for me to go even a day or two without doing one lately

Magnus

Mech mage was predictable. Now I don't know what the hell I'm playing. Seriously, every single mage I've played in the last month has been different, and it's annoying not knowing what I'm up against.

The only thing they have in common is that when I have a board full of grim patrons they have flamestrike.

Aw, come on. Game's at its worst if it's all predictable. I ran Flamestrike or Echo in Mech Mage and threw so many people off. That was a blast.

Are you joking? That's awesome. It's actually playing the game and using flexible tactics instead of being a predictable bore that only plays to win. Some of you people are willing to have zero fun if it means you rank up. Jeez.

This guy knows what's up.

Magnus

While I think Velen isn't always practical, I agree he's a blast to play around with. Same with Malygos, although I usually throw him in Shaman or Mage decks.

Why have I been seeing a few priests run prophet velen to mindblast face?

Priests pls.

20 damage burst is fun... And not something priests had access to before Emperor. (Unless you count Velen, coin, mb, mb, but that combo is almost impossible to pull off.)

I do that with double resurrect. Only high cost minions and a lot of cheap spells (smite, pain) to remove early game threat.

Hell yeah.

So much fun. And I love his arrival onto the board. Might be one of my faves.

The card art's awesome, too:

latest

daemissary

I've been playing since open beta and haven't spent a dime but it's getting to the point where I would totally pay for additional deck slots.

There are so many random cool decks that I want to try like that Soul of the Forest Druid but I don't want to delete any of my current ones.

Man every mage playing Kezan Mystic completely nullifies Kezan Mystic! Great job blizz!

Kezan Mystic completely fails at its job because of this. Any deck that plays a few secrets will just throw a Kezan in there to steal their secret back making your Kezan pretty much worthless. I even saw a Face Hunter play it once to protect his Explosive Trap. Kezan would be better if she worked more like Flare, where she just destroys all secrets. Add to that the fact that I've never had a tech card that refuses to show up against the 2 classes where I'd actually need it. Play Hunter or Mage? Kezan is on the bottom of the deck. Play Warrior, Druid, or Priest? Kezan shows up in starting hand, gets mulliganed, and shows up again by turn 2. I'm starting to think that the card isn't really worth it for those few times that you steal an Explosive Trap.

I was a big fan of Kezan as a tech card but if this becomes more common that's going to be pretty dumb yeah. At least it doesn't help Freeze Mages.

I disagree. I ran one in a Freeze Mage yesterday. I had 3 secrets in the deck (2X Ice Barrier, 1 Ice Block), which, if stolen, I could just wait and steal it back when I drew my Kezan, because I wasn't going to trigger them otherwise. The only way Kezan screws Freeze Mage is if you steal Ice Block the exact turn that you're going to kill them. Any other time, and they'll just take it back.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've been playing since open beta and haven't spent a dime but it's getting to the point where I would totally pay for additional deck slots.

There are so many random cool decks that I want to try like that Soul of the Forest Druid but I don't want to delete any of my current ones.
Same here. I'm not buying shit, unless it's deck slots. I love how you can get by alright F2P.

Grief.exe

Kezan Mystic completely fails at its job because of this. Any deck that plays a few secrets will just throw a Kezan in there to steal their secret back making your Kezan pretty much worthless. I even saw a Face Hunter play it once to protect his Explosive Trap. Kezan would be better if she worked more like Flare, where she just destroys all secrets. Add to that the fact that I've never had a tech card that refuses to show up against the 2 classes where I'd actually need it. Play Hunter or Mage? Kezan is on the bottom of the deck. Play Warrior, Druid, or Priest? Kezan shows up in starting hand, gets mulliganed, and shows up again by turn 2. I'm starting to think that the card isn't really worth it for those few times that you steal an Explosive Trap.

That's meta.

ViviOggi

I disagree. I ran one in a Freeze Mage yesterday. I had 3 secrets in the deck (2X Ice Barrier, 1 Ice Block), which, if stolen, I could just wait and steal it back when I drew my Kezan, because I wan't going to trigger them otherwise. The only way Kezan screws Freeze Mage is if you steal Ice Block the exact turn that you're going to kill them. Any other time, and they'll just take it back.

Well, yeah. I generally don't bank on my opponents being idiots though.

FoxSpirit

This deck is so damned filthy (also got lucky with a deathlord draw)
Okay,
turn 1 He plays nothing, you Manawyrm, coin, Manawyrm.
turn 2 He plays whatever, gets pinged to death in combo with manawyrm.
turn 3 he plays deathlord, response flamecannon, sacrifice one manawyrm, get ragnaros gg

Something like that?

Well, yeah. I generally don't bank on my opponents being idiots though.

I had it happen a few times. People would steal my secrets either because they hadn't realized I was running Freeze Mage yet or because they thought that I'd be screwed without Ice Block. I'd just stall the game out and steal it back later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom