• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Kripp's newest video on the award system is spot on.

Like he says, the arena reward system is pretty fucked.

Also I really think you should be able to buy dust at a reasonable exchange rate. I'd imagine it's terrible for a new player to scrounge up the 1600 dust for Boom or Sylvanis without getting lucky with some goldens.

I definitely agree that only getting G&G packs from Arena is bad for new players. I think it was a huge advantage for me to fill out most of the normal set (commons and rares anyway) during the Naxx era when packs frequently gave me useful cards. G&G packs quickly became 90% dust due to the high number of common duplicates, and it seems (may very well just be my perception) that a higher proportion of G&G rares are extremely niche/bad cards than normal rares.

I think it's probably necessary to make the rewards system more generous in the coming months or there's going to be a dropoff in player retention - the ramp up to where the established players are is getting longer with every expansion, but the incline is just as steep.

And for Legendaries, a big problem is that if a new player invests their first 1600 dust in a Boom or Sylvanas then he or she gives up any chance of getting the good rares/epics which are necessary to make effective decks, so it pushes players towards cheap aggro decks that require 0-1 Legendaries. So what should feel like a big achievement for new players - crafting beastly cards - doesn't.

Acinixys

I took my EU account's Level 1 Shaman onto the ranked ladder, it's hilarious. It's mostly people doing dumb stuff liking coining out Fire Elemantal on turn 1 (dead to rockbiter for, cost me one mana to remove two of his cards and deny him Fire Elemental value) but there's also dudes at level 19 with full demonlocks including Dr. Boom, Jaraxxus, KT, and Malganis.

I can see where new and F2P players are coming from, there's no reason someone with a couple rares and a bunch of basic cards and an account that is less than a week old should ever be matched up against a 5,000 dust deck.

As a player who has only bought Naxx but has over 1000 games played I feel the pain of this constantly

I hover around rank 15 in ladder and the amount of players with multiple legendaries and epics is totally crazy

Every second player has Boom

sibarraz

Banned
Im testing dragon pally, I think that my biggest grip is that if my opponent is capable of filling his board and I don't had consecration (and heck, most of the time equality) Im screwed

Grief.exe

Just met a priest in constructed that had some interesting strategies.

Baron Rivendare (deathrattles trigger twice)
auchenai soulpriest (all healing spells so damage instead)
2x zombie chow (deathrattle: restore 5 health to enemy hero)

Even though I was winning the entire game, he almost killed me by doing 20 damage in that one combo.

I definitely agree that only getting G&G packs from Arena is bad for new players. I think it was a huge advantage for me to fill out most of the normal set (commons and rares anyway) during the Naxx era when packs frequently gave me useful cards. G&G packs quickly became 90% dust due to the high number of common duplicates, and it seems (may very well just be my perception) that a higher proportion of G&G rares are extremely niche/bad cards than normal rares.

I think it's probably necessary to make the rewards system more generous in the coming months or there's going to be a dropoff in player retention - the ramp up to where the established players are is getting longer with every expansion, but the incline is just as steep.

And for Legendaries, a big problem is that if a new player invests their first 1600 dust in a Boom or Sylvanas then he or she gives up any chance of getting the good rares/epics which are necessary to make effective decks, so it pushes players towards cheap aggro decks that require 0-1 Legendaries. So what should feel like a big achievement for new players - crafting beastly cards - doesn't.

I'm thinking about just scraping together a zoo deck right now as I'm new and it's cheap. I have a solid mid range druid deck that gets me plenty of wins, but it needs those legendaries to be effective.

So I was playing at the gym today, and literally got bored out of my mind playing face hunters.
sleeping.gif

Thanks bliz, now I can play face hunters anywhere.
hide.gif

Rapstah

Is stopping card draw one of those effects Blizzard won't do because it falls under "messing with the other player's hand"? I made this fake card:

3e3f9f6c.png

Then I realised you can probably come up with a scenario where you know your opponent is 95% likely to topdeck a Fireball or Frostbolt and want to stop that from happening for at least one turn, and this card would be the only (?) way to do so in the game. Frostbolt and Fireball are probably bad examples because the mage could still get Ysera Awakens or Nightmare which are sometimes better than Fireball or Frostbolt, but let's say there was a 2-mana version that made players draw a random chicken card or some jokey variant on the same effect.

I guess they're careful with adding completely new types of effects to the game overall. "If you're holding a dragon" and "destroy a legendary minion" are minor variations on things we already had. Was Gnomish Experimenter a completely new type of effect? No one uses it, though. That's another problem, completely new types of effects are probably really hard to balance.

Dahbomb

Is stopping card draw one of those effects Blizzard won't do because it falls under "messing with the other player's hand"? I made this fake card:

3e3f9f6c.png

Then I realised you can probably come up with a scenario where you know your opponent is 95% likely to topdeck a Fireball or Frostbolt and want to stop that from happening for at least one turn, and this card would be the only (?) way to do so in the game. Frostbolt and Fireball are probably bad examples because the mage could still get Ysera Awakens or Nightmare which are sometimes better than Fireball or Frostbolt, but let's say there was a 2-mana version that made players draw a random chicken card or some jokey variant on the same effect.

I guess they're careful with adding completely new types of effects to the game overall. "If you're holding a dragon" and "destroy a legendary minion" are minor variations on things we already had. Was Gnomish Experimenter a completely new type of effect? No one uses it, though. That's another problem, completely new types of effects are probably really hard to balance.

Interesting card though it could possibly lose you the game if you draw a bad Dream card and your opponent draws Ysera Awakens.

Ashodin

3e3f9f6c.png

This card is pretty damn cool actually. It most likely forces your opponent to remove it, but you need to gain a Dream Card yourself before it gets removed. 5 Mana is pretty crazy for 4/7 stats tho. I'd do 6 mana.

Dahbomb

Not gonna lie... killing Legendaries with Rend Blackhand feels damn good!

He won me a game when I was able to kill the enemy's Kelthuzad with it today.

Gotchaye

Watching people play mulligan chicken is awful. Game should just delay showing the opponent's mulligan until after you make your selections.

Malice215

Made it to rank 10 from 18 today using Dragon Paladin. Just 3 losses on the day since I switched.

Also the mobile app is da gawd. Love using it instead of sitting at a computer to play. Plus I can take the game with me around the house and not worry about missing my turn. Going forward I will just make my decks on the PC and then switch to mobile to play.

KuroNeeko

This deck is so damned filthy (also got lucky with a deathlord draw)

You know, I'm not really into Mage, but playing the Secrets Class Challenge deck from Naxx last night was a lot of fun. If they're going to start busting out cards like Unstable Portal, then I might have to trade in my Bear Claws and Healer's Staff for some Icy Hot Jaina action.

A mage just used Blizzard with my Dragon Egg on the field, it spawned a dragon but also froze it, is that intended?

Beaten by freeze mages topdecking flamestrike twice. I fucking hate freeze mage.

Maximo

Fuck It don't have many GVG Cards or Legendary's to make the Decks I want. So Im doing Face Hunter, im a disgusting human being.
Edit: My god gold is easy...Really want to save up for a Demon Lock Deck

Pooya

what people use to overlay your deck like that?

http://www.hearthcards.net/cards/3e3f9f6c.png

wouldn't this card completely prevent fatigue? actually would be pretty cool to have a mechanic like that with some terrible decks around.

Zemm

Come up against face hunter 4 times in a row, switch to anti face hunter deck, don't see a single one the next 10 games. Please try and tell me the matchmaking isn't rigged.

Raytow

Hmm been trying a mana wraith, akunbar(sp) weblord rogue mill, can't work the kinks so far, its pretty fun but maybe it'll do without the weblord since it fucks me out more often than not.

Lumine

Honestly using an overlay like that is about as close to cheating as you can get. Not saying you're not allowed to, it's not my place to do that, but it doesn't seem entirely fair either.

Rapstah

Hmm been trying a mana wraith, akunbar(sp) weblord rogue mill, can't work the kinks so far, its pretty fun but maybe it'll do without the weblord since it fucks me out more often than not.

I tried Weblord too, but it just destroys Coldlight Oracle. Rogue mill is based around playing Coldlight as much as possible, and Nerub'ar Weblord means you can't.

It may actually be a better card to play against mill decks.

Ken

Ok, I finally got around to getting this in my tablet and signed in and stuff. I quit before the first expansion; I assume first things I should do to get caught up is to buy the two expansion thingies?

Also what's a fun and competitive new deck I can make these days assuming tons of dust!

ViviOggi

Ok, I finally got around to getting this in my tablet and signed in and stuff. I quit before the first expansion; I assume first things I should do to get caught up is to buy the two expansion thingies?

Also what's a fun/competitive deck I can make these days assuming tons of dust!
Most fun deck is Patron/Gimmick/Dank Warrior

Hektor

Honestly using an overlay like that is about as close to cheating as you can get. Not saying you're not allowed to, it's not my place to do that, but it doesn't seem entirely fair either.

Writing down which cards your opponent played and which cards you've left in your deck isnt remotely close to cheating. You could just as well memorize it yourself or write it down manually. They dont give you any actual advantage whatsover, therefore i dont really see an issue in people using those.

Zemm

Writing down which cards your opponent played and which cards you've left in your deck isnt remotely close to cheating. You could just as well memorize it yourself or write it down manually. They dont give you any actual advantage whatsover, therefore i dont really see an issue in people using those.

Of course it gives you an advantage otherwise people wouldn't use it. You see people on streams and tournaments all the time trying to remember if they used such and such card. Saying that, I don't care if anyone uses it, I wouldn't call it cheating.

Hektor

Of course it gives you an advantage otherwise people wouldn't use it. You see people on streams and tournaments all the time trying to remember if they used such and such card. Saying that, I don't care if anyone uses it, I wouldn't call it cheating.

I wouldnt call support wheels for newbs an advantage. Everybody could write down that stuff anyways if he feels the need to.

That said, blizzard could just aswell add-in an actual match-history to even the playground if necessary

Lumine

Hey, I didn't say it was actual cheating, but isn't it pretty damn close? Using a 3rd party program to give you an advantage over others would get you banned in plenty of other games. You know most of your opponents don't use this and many of them can't because they're playing on a different device than PC. And yes it is an advantage as you don't have to memorize anymore. The next step would be that the overlay automatically shows what is likely to be played by your opponent based on the meta and cards he has already played. I'm not saying he's not allowed to, just that it doesn't seem entirely fair to do so.

Hey, I didn't say it was actual cheating, but isn't it pretty damn close? Using a 3rd party program to give you an advantage over others would get you banned in plenty of other games. You know most of your opponents don't use this and many of them can't because they're playing on a different device than PC. And yes it is an advantage as you don't have to memorize anymore. The next step would be that the overlay automatically shows what is likely to be played by your opponent based on the meta and cards he has already played. I'm not saying he's not allowed to, just that it doesn't seem entirely fair to do so.

It really doesn't do that much. As others have said it is just saving you using a pen and paper and all it really does is tell you what card you need that you will 100% not draw in time.

Nothing beats totally wrecking a freeze mage

Seriously fuck those guys

I always run Kezans or flare. Even if they are useless most of the time, it is worth it just to fuck over some smug freeze mage who thinks they can Alex and win.

Okay,
turn 1 He plays nothing, you Manawyrm, coin, Manawyrm.
turn 2 He plays whatever, gets pinged to death in combo with manawyrm.
turn 3 he plays deathlord, response flamecannon, sacrifice one manawyrm, get ragnaros gg

Something like that?

I played just one manawyrm on turn one. Then turn two was manawyrm, coin, portal. That way I had 2x 3/3 wyrms. He played deathlord and ran 1/1 into one of the wyrms. I used flamecannon and used the now 4/2 wyrm to kill the deathlord (I figured it made me strong against consecration to have a 4/3 than a 4/2 and a 4/1). He conceded after rag hit anyway.

In that situation, flamecannon was essentially "give +1 attack to all of your minions, deal 4 damage to an enemy minion, summon ragnaros" which is pretty good for 2 mana

tylerf

I've been getting crazy amount of google opinion surveys since the phone release.
Already got 2 free arena runs with the credit.

CoolOff

So, are you guys ready for the first truly meta-changing wing of BRM?

With all due respect to the Emperor, this wing has 4-5 cards that are incredibly relevant and will see play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom