• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorcerer seems neck and neck with burly trogg, but the one thing that can push the sorcerer squarely ahead is the dragon tag

This is a poor comparison people keep making. Dragonkin sorcerer is activated by the person who controls it, burly rockjaw trogg is activated by the opponent's spells and only buffs attack.

I think a much more apt comparison is dragonkin sorcerer and violet teacher. Violet teacher adds 1/1 to the table, similar to DS, but DS is a dragon, less vulnerable to AOE, stickier than violet teacher, but is only activated when the spells played target the DS. The fact that it is activated by your own spells makes it much more comparable than burly rockjaw trogg.

The card would likely be very OP if it was buffed by any spell, we would be looking at another UT potentially I think.

Once the egg is at 1hp with commanding shout active, bouncing blade can't hit the egg again. I don't think there is any way to get more than 2 whelps without buffing the health of the egg.

You could heal it after it takes damage, but I don't see this card getting any play in Priest decks. Wild Pyromancer would be about the only consistent source of one damage to hit it with regularly, but if you activate the Pyromancer twice, it will just wipe out the first Whelp.

how abotu we agree that they are both worthwhile comparisons
DsrA6Kc.gif

but anyways, the dragon tag is kinda worrisome. its kinda like how they had the mech yeti, which was an upgrade over regular yeti due to the mech tag, but at least that one had a minor potential downside of giving your opponent a spell

the sorcerer doesnt give anything to your opponent!

im sorry my posts are probably all rehashes of what has already been said, i dotn read reddit

Dahbomb

Are we sure that the Sorcerer doesn't get buffed if a spell is used against it from the opponent? The wording is confusing.

squidyj

The wording on sorcerer is so bad. Read as normal english it sounds like the guy who casts the spell gets +1/+1 so..... buff your hero

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Are we sure that the Sorcerer doesn't get buffed if a spell is used against it from the opponent? The wording is confusing.
We can't be 100% without clarification, but I think its reasonable to assume it only counts the owner's spells. I think generally cards are read from the owner's 'perspective.'

Consider the case of casting blessing of wisdom on an opponent's creature. That situation could be interpreted in 2 different ways from the wording alone but the correct interpretation is the one that reads it from the caster's point of view.

As for the Egg, I think people are quick to discount this card. With even 1 proc you're getting more stats from a 1 drop than any other 1 drop (except UT/secret keeper with their growth potential, same with mana wyrm). 2/1 + 0/2 = 2/3 worth of stats. If you get 2 procs, you're getting 4/4 worth of stats out of it... for 1 mana.

I think it could be great in shaman. The regular use will be to buff it with flametongue totem or defender of argus and occasionally rockbiter. After it gets a use from one of those, it gets additional value. And potentially even more if you get it healed up with healing totem. I think the stickiness and combination ability of this card makes it potentially a very solid shaman card.

Sure, 2/1s aren't tough to deal with, but you still have to deal with them spending time + resources. Especially against a shaman who can potentially bust out bloodlust or use a flametongue to take out big drops for big tempo values.

We'll have to see how it is in action to see if its a dud or a niche card.

They wouldn't have used the word "your" if it meant any spell. It would have said something like "When a spell targets...".

gutshot

I'm pretty sure it is only from your own spells otherwise it would say "Whenever this minion is targeted by a spell".

slayn

needs to show more effort.
The wording on sorcerer is so bad. Read as normal english it sounds like the guy who casts the spell gets +1/+1 so..... buff your hero
It is, but we already had to go through this with cobalt guardian. Just mentally replace
Whenever x, gain y with
Whenever x, (this card gains) y

JesseZao

Hard to really judge cards wothout the full set. Will be interesting to see what synergies end up being possible with these cards.

CoolOff

Dragon Egg is interesting because it affects the 5/6-dragon quite a bit. As a free 1-drop it's better than a lot of other options, even if it's not quite Mana Wyrm/Dust Devil.

Since Sorcerer says target, what if you just target it with same spell multiple times, but never cast it! Instant win on turn five!

Egg just seems weird. Feel like it should have the dragon tag or have some other board synergy.

I think Egg could be really interesting if you buffed it with something like Blessing of Kings or Velen's Chosen. Could be akin to miniature Thermaplugg. Obviously the way they activate are completely different but you could possibly end up with a similar result. Probably not worth it though considering it gets absolutely decimated by silence.

Will be interesting to see what ideas people come up with for it.

G.ZZZ

qtfay4S.png

Face warrior T5 win or lose game, combo potential for insane burst and decent card draw. Having a lot of fun with it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
As for the Egg, I think people are quick to discount this card. With even 1 proc you're getting more stats from a 1 drop than any other 1 drop (except UT/secret keeper with their growth potential, same with mana wyrm). 2/1 + 0/2 = 2/3 worth of stats. If you get 2 procs, you're getting 4/4 worth of stats out of it... for 1 mana.

I think it could be great in shaman. The regular use will be to buff it with flametongue totem or defender of argus and occasionally rockbiter. After it gets a use from one of those, it gets additional value. And potentially even more if you get it healed up with healing totem. I think the stickiness and combination ability of this card makes it potentially a very solid shaman card.

Sure, 2/1s aren't tough to deal with, but you still have to deal with them spending time + resources. Especially against a shaman who can potentially bust out bloodlust or use a flametongue to take out big drops for big tempo values.

We'll have to see how it is in action to see if its a dud or a niche card.

I agree it's better value than most 1 drops, but even at 1 mana, it still uses up a card draw and takes up space in your deck. A better value than most one drops still doesn't seem like enough to really make the cut unless it fills a role particularly well. The stat distribution also makes it pretty easy to deal with those 2/3 worth of stats, and the slow nature of the card lets the opponent have a lot of time to find an opportunity to take care of those stats.

It's still something I want see in practice before passing final judgement, particularly in a zoolock control deck. And of course it could become much more useful if it counters or synergies well with an unannounced good card.

G.ZZZ

Since the deck is based on going face, wouldn't Micro Machine be better than Annoy-O-Tron? Also, no Heroic Strike or Mortal Strike?

The deck really need something sticky (for draw and defend mechwarper), micro machine with nothing to defend it sucks.
The deck is also way too tight for burn spells since you need draw, ping effects, and mechs.

Geddon is a good legendary card but fairly niche. If it were a normal legend, I would say keep. But since its a gold, you are fine DE'ing him for another legendary card.

Geddon is also good outside of control warrior. Control paladin runs him sometimes, and sometimes even druid does. I wouldn't mind giving him a spin in control paladin if I ever pulled him.

KePoW

Banned
Topdecked a Kill Command just when I needed against a Priest. I don't know if I should feel dirty or happy.

happy

I solely play Face Hunter now and I laugh every time I win (which seems to be 70+ percent of the time). I don't give a fuck, I find it super fun

Brofist

I can deal with some of the RNG in this game, but I'm really starting to hate how bad play doesn't go unpunished nearly as often as it should.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Woot, just reached my goal of rank 5 this season.

I no longer hate face hunter and actually like seeing them, and now find force/savage druid to be the true villains of this game, with them forcing me to stay above 21 health all game long, forced to basically remove every single minion, and making me deal with really strong class minions made stronger by wild growth and innervate.

Screw those guys, at least until I learn how to properly deal with them.

Dahbomb

Yeah Druid is and forever will be a bull shit class that will only get better with time due t the mechanics of some of its cards (Innervate, Wild Growth etc.).

Heropon

Topdecked another Kill Command when the Wolf+Hounds combo I had wasn't enough to finish the game. This time the victim said "I will crush you!" as his last words. I don't feel bad as he was trying to go face too.

I feel like I'm spending all my RNG points today.

Edit: Yeah, streak finished thanks to a Druid, innervate and lots of annoying minions with Dr. Boom as the finisher.

Rapstah

One comes after death, the other is after birth, completely different things!

I guess it makes sense if you don't consider a chicken egg a bird.

In Blizzard lore, dragons can have seemingly any number of arms, legs and wings, so I wouldn't assume that the ones with none of any aren't dragons. Food for thought.

Card idea based on thinking about ghosts and Haunted Creeper:

92994b3e.png

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
In Blizzard lore, dragons can have seemingly any number of arms, legs and wings, so I wouldn't assume that the ones with none of any aren't dragons. Food for thought.

Card idea based on thinking about ghosts and Haunted Creeper:

Wow, what an op card. Imagine that thing on Sylvanus. 2 card 7 mana 7-7 with 3 free mind controls.

Unless card text doesn't carry either, in which case it's a pretty boring and useless card. Would be more fun to make it something like 5 mana and have the card text carry over.

EDIT: Oh now I see, it does make good sense with no card text for zoolock. Not a bad idea. But it still makes me really want to see 2 1-1 sylvanus with card text intact, no matter the cost.

Rapstah

Do the ghosts keep card text at all?

Nope! Ghosts don't keep card text in the standard established by Haunted Creeper. I don't know why Haunted Creeper spawns two ghosts, but I guess Blizzard canon is everything leaves two ghosts.

I'd just love Blizzard to spend ages making individual ghost art for every card just so all cards look cool when you use a bad Warlock spell on them.

I should really be feeling worse about making people rage quit with my fatigue mage deck. Such a fun list to play (at least to me), too bad it's not so hot for laddering.

dralla

I put a Demolisher in my Priest deck and it is putting in WORK. I'm guessing it's not a common card so people are ignoring it.

Also. I've got 420 dust. Not sure what to make. I like Rogue/Druid/Priest

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I put a Demolisher in my Priest deck and it is putting in WORK. I'm guessing it's not a common card so people are ignoring it.

Also. I've got 420 dust. Not sure what to make. I like Rogue/Druid/Priest

Demolisher is poor off curve. It is very easy to make a favorable trade against it.

420 dust is too early to be thinking about crafting anything. The only time you should be crafting is if you have your eye on a particular deck and you are missing cards to complete it, and then ONLY when you have enough dust to finish that deck.

Opening a pack containing the card you needed just after crafting it is pretty bad. You have to be patient with crafting so that you minimize the risk of something like that happening.

dralla

Demolisher is poor off curve. It is very easy to make a favorable trade against it.

420 dust is too early to be thinking about crafting anything. The only time you should be crafting is if you have your eye on a particular deck and you are missing cards to complete it, and then ONLY when you have enough dust to finish that deck.

Opening a pack containing the card you needed just after crafting it is pretty bad. You have to be patient with crafting so that you minimize the risk of something like that happening.

Oh I'm not saying Demolisher is good, only that it's fun. My Priest deck is a bit weird so I've been plugging in different cards to see how it goes. Priest buffs and healing definitely help it out a bit.

Dahbomb

For curiosity's sake; is thre any combination of cards that could give hunter the win in this situation? Keeping the scenario that he has only one card in his hand.
Not if he had only one card. If he had one more card then he could've top decked for a possible win if he had BGH/Silence/UTH/Skill Command in his deck.

He would've needed:

BGH to remove Malganis
Play any cheap beast
Skill Command + Hero ability for lethal

Or if he didn't have BGH another combo that could've worked (which IMO is better)

Unleashed the Hounds
Skill Command + Hero ability

2nd option could've happened in that game if he had top decked UTH or Skill command with the other being one of the cards in his hand. Hunters don't actually use BGH.

Another even rarer combo that could've happened was Arcane shot the Malganis, play cheap beast then Skill Command into Hero ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom