• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why I said "AS A TRIBE". Obviously Volcanic Drake and Blackwing Corrupter are good, but the only cards with Dragon-synergy are Blackwing Technician, Twilight Whelp, Corrupter, and Consort. Twilight Whelp requires a Dragon in opening hand for it to be good, so it's not. The other three are all really strong cards, but one of them is Paladin only. So why not play the deck that inherently supports Dragon cards? On Dragonkin Sorcerer, I think this card is actually very mediocre in Priest as it exacerbates the problem they have with inconsistent draws along with other issues.

Will there be other Dragon decks? Sure. But at this point I can't see anything being stronger than Paladin as far as MIDRANGE decks go. Maybe we will see Control variants running Dragons or something. Or some sort of Shaman combo with Dragonkin Sorcerer and Windfury.

I don't think Volcanic Drake will be a strong card, the 4 health is too much of a liability, even if you can play it for cheap.

Magnus

Do you think that Blizzard intended for Mechs to basically become the Mage tribe? I mean, in terms of numbers, Mech cards were introduced rather evenly to all classes, I think.

I'd almost want to call Totems the Shaman tribe, since they have a number of cards that modify those, and Totems invariably become a core part of the Shaman strategy (I think).

Although with Neptulon, Murlocs are core to a Shaman tribe strategy.

I'm hoping Priests get something cool introduced one day that's all their own.

Rapstah

Do you think that Blizzard intended for Mechs to basically become the Mage tribe? I mean, in terms of numbers, Mech cards were introduced rather evenly to all classes, I think.

I'd almost want to call Totems the Shaman tribe, since they have a number of cards that modify those, and Totems invariably become a core part of the Shaman strategy (I think).

Mechs were totally supposed to work for all classes. Blastmage isn't even such a cool card, it just happens to be really good. Especially in combination with standard Mage stuff like Flamestrike and the burst spells. I wish Iron Juggernaut was more viable, that's such a cool card.

ViviOggi

They placed Xixo perfectly in front of this goblin:

xixogoblinjauzg.png

FzrhL38.gif

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Not entirely, since everyone got mechs, but they do have more than most.

-Snow Chugger
-Soot Spewer
-Blast Mage
-Flame Leviathan (Legendary)

Warrior is the only other class with four dedicated mech cards, because Mech Warrior.

Warrior also notably still lacks a viable tribe, so I think that it was supposed to be mechs.

Mage is the best for mechs because of spare parts and Archmage synergy. Blastmage is also incredible. Whether they intended it or not is was destined to happen the moment the design for the spare parts system was finalized.

Aylinato

Not entirely, since everyone got mechs, but they do have more than most.

-Snow Chugger
-Soot Spewer
-Blast Mage
-Flame Leviathan (Legendary)

Warrior is the only other class with four dedicated mech cards, because Mech Warrior.

Warrior also notably still lacks a viable tribe, so I think that it was supposed to be mechs.

Warrior has one viable tribe, doesn't need any more.

EVERYBODY GET IN HERE.

It's totally a tribe.

One day I'll make a dwarf tribe, paladin of course.

Cider X

Man this tournament is fun but I'm going to the cinema watch Avengers now. Is there any way to record a stream from Twitch for later viewing?

Tacitus_

Alesh still couldn't believe it after the match was over. He just wandered in the background going

Man this tournament is fun but I'm going to the cinema watch Avengers now. Is there any way to record a stream from Twitch for later viewing?

Yes, but it would take some setup. Though they will most likely have some vods.

That's why I said "AS A TRIBE". Obviously Volcanic Drake and Blackwing Corrupter are good, but the only cards with Dragon-synergy are Blackwing Technician, Twilight Whelp, Corrupter, and Consort. Twilight Whelp requires a Dragon in opening hand for it to be good, so it's not. The other three are all really strong cards, but one of them is Paladin only. So why not play the deck that inherently supports Dragon cards? On Dragonkin Sorcerer, I think this card is actually very mediocre in Priest as it exacerbates the problem they have with inconsistent draws along with other issues.

Will there be other Dragon decks? Sure. But at this point I can't see anything being stronger than Paladin as far as MIDRANGE decks go. Maybe we will see Control variants running Dragons or something. Or some sort of Shaman combo with Dragonkin Sorcerer and Windfury.

You're forgetting Rend as well.

You ask why not play the deck that "inherently" supports dragon cards? Plenty of reasons. Paladin and rogue operate very different and each has different strengths and weaknesses, even when both are using dragons. As long as a deck isn't just trying to do something another deck does well, but only worse than it, the deck is justified. Potentially even great in the right meta.

If that weren't true we'd have only a single deck of each archetype because all but the "best" would just be redundant to the "best". But that is clearly not true.

And just for example, a difference between dragon rogue and dragon paladin is the amount of high tempo + strong removal rogue has, that paladin absolutely lacks.

As for priest and dragonkin sorcerer, we'll see. I think it is more than a solid card, perhaps even great, for priest. One PWS and it is a 4/8. Hit with velen's chosen and we're talking 6/10. That is pretty gross for priest imo. I don't see why you think it would be an inconsistent card. At its worse it is still a 5 hp minion for 4. If you're running about 6 spells that target minions beneficially, I think you'll have little trouble getting value out of the card most of the time. And it enables yet another 5hp minion, blackwing technician of course.

Potentially benefiting the whelp as well. People often point out - why not just run zombie chow, after all you have auchenai. Well, not every priest deck necessarily wants to run auchenai. Or maybe you want two of both or a mix of the two.

Bookoo

Is it possible to duel friends on the phone version of the game? I have been trying to find this information, but it looks like the answer is no.

Levi

Banned
hmm ok, I guess i'll have to figure it out. When I click on my friend it only seems to bring up the chat window.

If they are able to be challenged, you just click the little crossed swords next to their name. They can't be in a game or have their status set to busy or away.

Ocho

Hey guys, I'm new to the game. I bought Naxx to try and get the cards. Any recommended way to takle the adventure? A cheap deck?

Tacitus_

Hey guys, I'm new to the game. I bought Naxx to try and get the cards. Any recommended way to takle the adventure? A cheap deck?

Normals don't require that much thought, just a good basic deck. Though you can check hearthpwn for decklists if you want.

embalm

They are designed to be completable with basic cards.

No idea how new you are, so make sure you get all of the basic cards. That means getting each class to lvl 10.
Watch Trump Teaches, there is a link to it in the first post. This will give you a general idea of what each class is good at and some good basics on how to win.
Try to build a deck to take down the bosses. Each boss is different and often requires unique decks that play against their broken cards or combos.

If all else fails, check out hearthpwn which has guides for how to complete the adventures.

Levi

Banned
Lothar vs Alesh, Game 4, the defining RNG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY9npmRkYyE

Alesh was so tilted that he wouldn't even shake Lothar's hand afterwards, and claims it was because Lothar "BMed" him, which is BS because Lothar was trying hard not to laugh at the combination of the bad RNG and the over the top babyrage reaction of his opponent.

#esports

Rapstah

Lothar vs Alesh, Game 4, the defining RNG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY9npmRkYyE

Alesh was so tilted that he wouldn't even shake Lothar's hand afterwards, and claims it was because Lothar "BMed" him, which is BS because Lothar was trying hard not to laugh at the combination of the bad RNG and the over the top babyrage reaction of his opponent.

#esports

I don't remember Lothar doing anything out of the ordinary for the rest of that game. I guess if he was so shocked at the turn of events that he forgot you can look at the green outline around a card to see if it's dead, he might be shocked enough to have interpreted normal play as BM.

Went 4/0 with an arena deck, then hit a wall of 3 losses in a row. One Warlock had a legit demonlock deck with caller turn 4, into Mal'Ganis, into floating watcher, into succubus, into Implosion. Dude played like 1 non-demo card.

Here's my next draft. Seems really good but so was my last one so who knows.

rByYssN.png

nhewS3C.png

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Placed down Chromaggus, had lay on hands in hand, made it stick and avoided a rag hit

Take a screenshot before I play lay to memorialise this moment

Come back to game he has conceded

That will never happen again :(

Placed down Chromaggus, had lay on hands in hand, made it stick and avoided a rag hit

Take a screenshot before I play lay to memorialise this moment

Come back to game he has conceded

That will never happen again :(
Conceding before someone can pull off an awesome combo to deny them fun is next level BM.

Ocho

Normals don't require that much thought, just a good basic deck. Though you can check hearthpwn for decklists if you want.

They are designed to be completable with basic cards.

No idea how new you are, so make sure you get all of the basic cards. That means getting each class to lvl 10.
Watch Trump Teaches, there is a link to it in the first post. This will give you a general idea of what each class is good at and some good basics on how to win.
Try to build a deck to take down the bosses. Each boss is different and often requires unique decks that play against their broken cards or combos.

If all else fails, check out hearthpwn which has guides for how to complete the adventures.

Ok guys, thanks for the advice. I've yet to level up all the classes, I'll focus on that.

Opiate

Do you know those games where you think about a move, decide "this is good unless he has X card," and he has precisely that?

I just had 6-7 of those games in my last dozen. Played a weapon and thought "this is fine as long as he doesn't have Harrison in his hand," attacked a boom bot and thought "this is fine as long as it doesn't hit my flametongue (I had 4 minions out + my face) and doesn't do at least 3 damage to it," and that's precisely what happened; had lightning storm played against me and thought "it's fine as long as he doesn't do max damage to all 3 of my creatures," which is exactly what happened; a game where a hunter had two companions and as he was summoning the first I thought "just not huffer," which it was, and on the second I thought "just not leoc," which it was, and so forth. Really frustrating.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit i just won a game with Paladin vs zoo warlock, i actually went down to 1 HP and lived. Ragnaros hit every target i needed to win, so much skill.

Do you know those games where you think about a move, decide "this is good unless he has X card," and he has precisely that?

I just had 6-7 of those games in my last dozen. Played a weapon and thought "this is fine as long as he doesn't have Harrison in his hand," attacked a boom bot and thought "this is fine as long as it doesn't hit my flametongue (I had 4 minions out + my face) and doesn't do at least 3 damage to it," and that's precisely what happened; had lightning storm played against me and thought "it's fine as long as he doesn't do max damage to all 3 of my creatures," which is exactly what happened; a game where a hunter had two companions and as he was summoning the first I thought "just not huffer," which it was, and on the second I thought "just not leoc," which it was, and so forth. Really frustrating.

This is the game we play. In other news, I've been running Harrison in my Control Warrior and he really flips the table on Paladin and Hunter in some matches.

Rapstah

Man, Forsen really hates Xixo. Like, in that way where you're not sure if Forsen knows he hates Xixo, but you can tell he hates him.

Dreavus

It's the worst. Even more so when whatever you are taking a calculated risk against has such a tiny chance of happening (like the boom bot example). Random effects in action.

LiveWire

People seem to only remember the times RNG works against them and not the times it works for them. If they actually took the time to add up every single instance of RNG over thousands of games, they'd probably get results showing a near even split.

This is the game we play.

Or perhaps they could just accept it and become better players like Soka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom