• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiryani

I'm firmly in camp "fuck hungry dragon"

Complete ruins the gameplan as midrange paladin, often using a charge of truesilver to get rid of the 1 drop. Buffs zoo , mech mage and face hunter.

Just a complete no of a card in my eyes.

As much as everyone likes to mock 1-mana cards, there's a surprising array of dangerous stuff you can get from a Hungry Dragon. Stuff like Flame Imp, Voidwalker, Argent Squire and even Northshire can be a real nuisance, and Dust Devil or Leper Gnome could be game losing against rush decks. Only once has it been played against me where I feel it's performed better than a Yeti would have. I do fear the T7 Hungry Dragon -> MC-Tech combo though.

tylerf

Every time I decide to let my opponent kill me because it was a good game and they proceed to spend time trying to figure out how to maximize their mana for BM just reminds me why I always concede right away.

I figured Hungry Dragon would be fine if you have something on the board to deal with the minion you summon but it's always been something ridiculously good. Cogmaster against someone with mechs, a Zombie Chow I can't trade with, or it's a Paladin who runs Sword of Justice.

I haven't played a lot of games since I really can't right now, but it seems to be more annoying than I would of guessed it would be.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Flamewaker is damn near insane... holy shit. I'm finally having a blast with mage again.

Huh, so technically the other player summons his own 1-mana minion then. Hungry Dragon's card text made me think you summon a minion for them, but I guess it could mean it forces the other player to summon a minion too.
That'd be my guess. I bet if you play it against a Warrior with Warsong Commander, it'd show the charge effect and I'd bet it work with Knife Juggler too. Just have to remember what effects your opponent has before you play it.

Gotchaye

I think Shaman is a very respectable Arena class now. They already had the ability to get occasional free wins from an unanswered zap-o-matic, and with Fireguard Destroyer they have so much value that their lack of card draw doesn't matter. The only cost-efficient answer to a Destroyer on turn 4 is a Fireball, and they'll often run away with the game after forcing a terrible turn 4/5 play from your opponent.

Ever since GvG, and as new cards have come out, Arena has seen less and less aoe. At this point it's not uncommon for a Mage deck to have no Flamestrikes or Blizzards. They get drafted when they show up, but there are so many new minions that they show up much less often. Likewise you're less likely to run into Mind Control Techs. This also helps Shaman, since Shaman tends to flood the board. Mages are still super-strong, but a lot of that is due to having two strong 2 mana removals and two strong 4 mana removals. Flamewakers also seem really powerful, especially when you get stuck with dumb spells like Arcane Missiles or Mirror Image.

I made a quick Paladin dragon deck despite having no non-BRM legendary dragons, fun times, would be awesome if I had some of the bigger dragon cards :)

manhack

Freeze Mage rising again to counter the meta is one thing but when a single new card completely breaks it that's just silly tbh

Once they've played The Russian just randomly empty your hand because from that point you can't play around shit, literally anything goes

Yeah every other game is freeze mage right now. Tempted to just play control warrior, but not worried about rank so late in the season..sigh.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
That feel when you call the enemy hunter playing Kezan Mystic and they actually do.
disapprove.gif

This deck has been putting a lot of work recently:

20150422044459a0e2s7v83tvjbtf7.jpg

Echoing Ooze is not essential and neither is Sea Giant to be honest if you don't have the dust for the Epics. You can put in a Mortal Coil, Dark Iron Dwarf, Shattered Sun Cleric or Shredder in there instead.

Whats the Ooze for, the ability to make 3 taunts from 1 Argus? Feels like an odd tech card. I feel ether an Arcane Golumn or a second owl would open up more win conditions over Ooze.

Skux

Playing my Bloodlust Shaman, opponent plays Hungry Dragon and gives me a free Young Dragonhawk (1/1 with windfury), I play Bloodlust next turn for lethal.

Playing my Bloodlust Shaman, opponent plays Hungry Dragon and gives me a free Young Dragonhawk (1/1 with windfury), I play Bloodlust next turn for lethal.

Haha. I got a dust devil (3/1 windfury) from some paladin's hungry dragon one time. He had to use an aldor peacekeeper on it to prevent lethal.

Danj

Did another arena run this morning, got stuck with Priest again so it turned out pretty crappy - I went 3-3. However, this is the pack I got:

Not one, not two, but three rares? And one of them golden? Is that even a thing that happens? Apparently so!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
LOL at people being so hyped for Hungry Dragon to then immediately hate it once it releases.

Special C

What do you guys take out of Zoo for Imp Gang Boss? Harvest Golems?

Also the first time I saw the card I saw his knees as Giant Boobs. Now I can't Unsee it.

-Mikey-

Hi everyone, I have a simple question for you. I have all of the base cards for each class, lvl 10, and I'm wondering what to do next. When I get enough gold I don't know if I should enter arena or buy a pack of cards. Hoping I can get a good number without having to drop a lot of money. I don't mind buying packs every now and then.

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks.

This tavern tournament has the best layout for the gameplay I've seen.

iPpzWew8BUHFK.png

Yeah I almost didn't recognize that this is Hearthstone.
It's missing the loud donation sounds, sub goals and sponsor images that take 50% of the screen for the real Hearthstone twitch experience.

Asbel

Bought my first solo adventure the other day and the normal and class challenges for the first BRM missions were relatively easy, but the heroics are ridiculous. I don't have that many cards so I wasn't sure if could technically beat any of them but I've lucked out and beaten the first two so far.
Against The Grim Guzzler, I stacked my deck with only large minions and spells. Even though he got two minions and I only got one from his power, mine would is able to attack on my turn so I just hit face each time and used spells to keep me alive. We both only needed one more turn to win the match and his board would fill up with large minions but a Frost Nova would keep they at bay. He then used a spell to destroy all minions except a random one, leaving one of his but that minion didn't have enough attack to finish me off. Then he summoned the orge that causes 50% chance to hit a different character which could have prevented me from delivering the lethal blows but luckily I had a Polymorph in hand and my minions were free to hit face for the win. Whew..
The Dark Iron Arena was a much luckier win. I lucked into forcing a circle of Frost Nova with his Lorewalker Cho while I had just 1 HP left, lol. Both his hand and board would fill up with minions so he couldn't play any cards except for the Frost Nova that was copied. This gave me a Frost Nova each turn and I was able to peck away at his HP with spells, unbelievable.
Didn't get anything from beating them though. Will I get something for beating Heroic Emperor Thaurissan?

Wildesy

If Blizzard was doing an assessment on the success of the Phone version of Hearthstone and used just me as a sample, I think it'd be considered an amazing triumph!

I had Hearthstone installed on my PC and played it a little but never gave it much time, I was sick and in bed the other day though and downloaded it. Since then I've spent about $60 on it, haha. Really loving playing in the Arena, I'm not doing overly well but I got to 7 wins once yesterday and I've had a few 5s.
My main problem at the moment is I sometimes struggle when to choose to attack face or damage a minion. A lot of the time my opponent will attack over the top of my minions leaving me feeling like I have to kill his minions and essentially being a play behind. But when I'm the one acting I trade straight in to theirs and end up missing out on the free move if that makes sense? And then on the times I choose to go face and let them trade in to me, they buff their minions to the shithouse when their turn roles back around and I'm left wishing I had just gotten rid of them.
Guess I just need to learn the cards better so I can better predict what a player is likely to do/likely to play.

Had an awesome experience where I thought I was beaten but played out my hand just for the hell of it and ended up finding out I'd actually won! Turns out Abusive Sargent adds 2 damage not 1 like I thought!
Had a really weird experience not long after though when the game started lagging a bit, I sent out a minion to kill my opponent's Sludge Belcher which it seemingly did, only for another Sludge Belcher to mysteriously spawn again inbetween lag jumps next to the 1/2 blob the Sludge Belcher leaves behind. The runner on the side said I attacked it, killed it and nothing was played afterwards. He had another minion on the table at the time (can't remember what it was) but it didn't have any mechanism to resurrect another minion or anything.
Got me beat what actually happened though, can only assume it was something to do with the lag and my game not showing what was actually happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom