• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing about Counterspell is that it's very difficult to waste it. Generally pretty easy to drop a low cost minion that has very little impact against Mirror Entity but in most decks you're running specific spells to serve a specific purpose so losing one just straight up sucks and you won't always have a low cost/inconsequential spell to burn just to clear the secret.

Probably just time to start teching in Kezan Mystic with how popular tempo Mage is getting.

johnsmith

remember me
What exactly is a Face Hunter deck? I see deck builds for them, but not sure what the exact idea of them are.

Thanks!
You rush down your opponent by always and only going face. Uses minions guaranteed to do face damage like chargers or leper gnome.

What exactly is a Face Hunter deck? I see deck builds for them, but not sure what the exact idea of them are.

Thanks!

1. Play Hunter
2. Throw tons of low cost minions (Leper Gnome, Abusive Seargant, Haunted Creeper) and charge (Wolfrider, Animal Companion, Arcane Golem) into the deck
3. Hit the face only, use silences/skill command on taunts
4. Hero power every turn
5. Win!

Just double lost to face hunter after 4 game winstreak, I would know!!!

Thing about Counterspell is that it's very difficult to waste it. Generally pretty easy to drop a low cost minion that has very little impact against Mirror Entity but in most decks you're running specific spells to serve a specific purpose so losing one just straight up sucks and you won't always have a low cost/inconsequential spell to burn just to clear the secret.

Probably just time to start teching in Kezan Mystic with how popular tempo Mage is getting.

Been running Kezan in a few decks outside of Tempo mage myself. People are starting to expect it because it's getting more common but the right use has led to some insta-concedes from stuff like stealing Iceblock as Patron Warrior

TheMink

iba8I1PfcuN3uR.png

Im really new but this seems like a crazy pack! It wasn't just one pack i went for the 40 so idk if it always happens if you get that much.

^^
You got 3 really good cards in that pack congrats, you have the fun in your sights.

This was just disgusting Chromaggus shenanigans.

Close to fatique i have Chromaggus+pow shield on board drop Azure Drake draw Shrinkmeister atk face and pass. He freezes Chromaggus and drops Sylvanas and passes. Next turn i draw Cabal Shadowpriest and it was game over.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How has Blizzard not nerfed Face Hunter yet? Honestly, shit's ridiculous.

It's gonna be really hard to really nerf since it's made up of mostly crap cards. Mad scientist is the only crazy one but you can still get steamrolled without them drawing it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

"Face Hunter" is not a card. It's an archetype. You have to start being specific as to what you think should be nerfed. You can't just pick and choose cards from the deck and start willy-nilly nerfing them and say you've nerfed Face Hunter, because you could be nerfing far more than just Face Hunter.

Honestly? The only clearly overpowered card in the deck is Mad Scientist. And it's an overpowered card in every deck its in. So let's just nerf Mad Scientist. It has deserved it for a long time.

EmiPrime

Honestly? The only clearly overpowered card in the deck is Mad Scientist. And it's an overpowered card in every deck its in. So let's just nerf Mad Scientist. It has deserved it for a long time.

Way overdue. It should draw a secret from the deck but not play it and it should probably only have one health.

Dahbomb

I swear we talk about Mad Scientist here every week.

But I do agree that Mad Scientist is the most OP component of Face Hunter and these Tempo oriented Mage decks. Should've been nerfed a long ass time ago alongside Undertaker.

Velen, Sneed, Greenskin or Foereaper?

Leaning towards Velen.

Depends on what you're trying to do really. Did you have a deck that you specifically wanted to play?

Velen was getting some use in EMP T decks with Velen's Chosen and Mindblasts. The idea is you throw down EMP T when you have Velen and two Mindblasts in hand for 20 damage in one turn. I don't think it ever really panned out since you don't see it that much.

Sneed's can be fun but he doesn't really win you games. RNG of what you get has a chance to. I think it's a good card if you're running a deck with no BGH targets, though he could spawn one.

Haven't seen Greenskin used for a while now. I think there was a moment where he was in Paladin for a bit but not anymore. I think Harrison is too common now.

Foe Reaper is in the same boat as Sneed's. It's really slow but good for decks with no seven attack minions. He can be awesome if he gets an attack off but since he's not instant it can be hard to get value out of him.

P.S. These are more the 'fun' legendaries. They're too slow to ever directly win you game but I personally find them awesome overall. They're fun to play with if you care more about how you win over how often you win.

EmiPrime

Depends on what you're trying to do really. Did you have a deck that you specifically wanted to play?

Velen was getting some use in EMP T decks with Velen's Chosen and Mindblasts. The idea is you throw down EMP T when you have Velen and two Mindblasts in hand for 20 damage in one turn. I don't think it ever really panned out since you don't see it that much.

Sneed's can be fun but he doesn't really win you games. RNG of what you get has a chance to. I think it's a good card if you're running a deck with no BGH targets, though he could spawn one.

Haven't seen Greenskin used for a while now. I think there was a moment where he was in Paladin for a bit but not anymore. I think Harrison is too common now.

Foe Reaper is in the same boat as Sneed's. It's really slow but good for decks with no seven attack minions. He can be awesome if he gets an attack off but since he's not instant it can be hard to get value out of him.

P.S. These are more the 'fun' legendaries. They're too slow to ever directly win you game but I personally find them awesome overall. They're fun to play with if you care more about how you win over how often you win.

Thank you, I will sleep on it I think. Yeah I enjoy playing a variety of decks and certain legendaries really make the game a lot of fun. :) I think Sneed is probably the most useful of them but making a Velen deck and getting the dream hand on turn 10 (or earlier courtesy of ET) sounds fun.

Do you already have all the other better legendaries? If so I would just hold on to the dust so you can immediately craft the next expansion's new broken legendary.

I have all the bread and butter neutral legendaries and the most useful class legendaries. I don't have either of the shaman legendaries but as good as they are, shaman is a bit boring and crap right now.

squidyj

My suggestion would make it comparable to Loot Hoarder. I don't think that's unreasonable given it only costs 2 mana.

except mad scientist is a big reason secrets get played. Drawing isn't good enough when all you can draw is secrets and nerfing it to a 2/1 when you can draw it in the late game where it's deathrattle might do literally nothing. nah.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This guy apparently knows the consistent rules for when a Zombie Chow saves a hero from death and when it doesn't. If the AOE spell kills the hero, then Deathrattles are not run and the hero just dies. If the Deathrattle does not kill the hero, then all Deathrattles are run before the hero's life is checked again, which means the hero can go below 1 life if something like a Leper Gnome died.

What was the example people were saying is inconsistent a month ago in this thread? I know it was way trickier than just a Leper Gnome dying.

I believe this happens on each phase too. So if Hunter played explosive trap first, and paladin plays truesilver 2nd, I believe it actually shows it going down to 0, and then back up to 2 since it takes place during the attacking phase, and no death check is made mid phase.

There's also the Hellfire into a Leper Gnome creating a draw when you're at 5 health, because there's still a death check at the end of every phase, and the game isn't over until all phases are complete.

I still think the Starving Buzzard/Core Rager thing from that video counts as a bug. "Summon" always happens after Battlecry.

ZealousD

My suggestion would make it comparable to Loot Hoarder. I don't think that's unreasonable given it only costs 2 mana.

You know how Novice Engineer is a way better card than Captain's Parrot?

Kind of the same issue here.

I honestly like the effect of Mad Scientist it's just way too cheap for what it does. Make it cost 3 mana. It's a simple nerf and it would still be strong and playable imo.

sibarraz

Banned
I was playing against a mage that had me at 8 points of life, and had a violet teacherr, piloted shreder and a cenarius that he copied from me. He destroyed my 2 minions with taunt using violet and piloted shredder. With the wrath of my hand I had to decide between destroying the violet teacher or destroying the piloted shredder to draw a miracle card.

I didnt draw the miracle card but the piloted shredder dropped a fucking doomsayer. Thank you based RNGesus

Honestly, I can deal with Face Hunters especially if they nerf the Scientist to 3 mana one day. It's the Druids I absolutely cannot stand and making combo more accessible with Emperor Balanced really puts them at the top of my most hated list.

Actually i think face hunter isn't really all that strong anymore, so many decks counter it and so many decks teching anti Aggro cards.

Also I got the feeling face is going down in popularity and zoo is coming back hard.

Maximo

Actually i think face hunter isn't really all that strong anymore, so many decks counter it and so many decks teching anti Aggro cards.

Also I got the feeling face is going down in popularity and zoo is coming back hard.
Yeah Zoo is strong and becoming popular again, deals with Agrro very well and has enough to deal with the more Mid/Lateish Decks

Brakara

Totally agree.

And if we're going to nerf archetypes just because they are boring to play against (because that's the only reason to nerf face hunter), we need to nerf freeze mage and mill decks as well. And <insert your least favorite deck to play against>.

TheMink

So i was planning on trying to recreate the trump tutorial paladin build (the one that he recommended you work toward) is that dated info? Or is it a good goal?

Xanathus

Is the freeze mage match still hilariously one sided or did Emperor change that a lot too?

Yeah it's still very one-sided, Emperor doesn't change anything. Note that this is regarding against standard control Warrior, Freeze Mage actually has a decent chance of winning vs Patron Warrior since that one usually cuts out Armorsmiths and other armor gaining cards, though the match up is still unfavored.

FoxSpirit

You know how Novice Engineer is a way better card than Captain's Parrot?

Kind of the same issue here.

I honestly like the effect of Mad Scientist it's just way too cheap for what it does. Make it cost 3 mana. It's a simple nerf and it would still be strong and playable imo.
Yeah, that one seems the best solution.

Also, 20 minutes play, 80 gold earned. Double win in double quest :p

TheMink

The one with all basic cards? It's very solid still if you're just starting out.

No the one at the end of the vid that he says is like a endgame version of the basic deck, know what i mean?

I guess my question is, should i spend dust to get the cards i dont have? Or should i use my dust on a different endgame?

EmiPrime

No the one at the end of the vid that he says is like a endgame version of the basic deck, know what i mean?

I guess my question is, should i spend dust to get the cards i dont have? Or should i use my dust on a different endgame?

Looks a bit dated. Do you have Tirion and Dr Boom? They're really important.

TheMink

Looks a bit dated. Do you have Tirion and Dr Boom? They're really important.

I dont have tirion, i do have a couple booms! I wasnt sure what the battlecry meant.

What other cards i should try to get?

Or maybe just a reference to a paladin deck i could use?

ZealousD

I dont have tirion, i do have a couple booms! I wasnt sure what the battlecry meant.

What other cards i should try to get?

Or maybe just a reference to a paladin deck i could use?

Mid-range Paladin is the goal. There are a lot of variants but they usually look something like this.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/196981-s11-legend-midrange-paladin

I'm guessing you might not have enough dust for the whole deck, though. There's a number of legendaries in it, some of which like Sylvanas and Tirion are not easily replaceable.

ZealousD

Oh awesome! Thanks! Should i try and go for the highest dust cost first?

Yeah, I usually don't recommend crafting commons and rares. Harrison is optional so you don't need to craft him right away. Sylvanas is really good but you might be able to swap her with Emperor Thaurissan. Coghammer is also optional if you're looking to lose an epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom