• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
God my druid deck sucks. Was running a variant of Savjzs druid deck from last season. It just can't keep up and the value isn't there like it is for mech cards. I think I'm gonna have to play a different main or go to a tempo druid deck.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Rapstah

If they told Forsen one set of rules and then went by another set of rules then that sucks. I'm pretty sure they were deciding on how the rules worked in those last 30 minutes though.

Dahbomb

If they told Forsen one set of rules and then went by another set of rules then that sucks. I'm pretty sure they were deciding on how the rules worked in those last 30 minutes though.
Yeah that is completely bull shit because he based his strategy around what he was told.

I would legitimately be pissed off if that happened to me.

Ashodin

I think this event was pretty awesome actually. I was really thinking about their conditions even when not watching the streams.

Raxus

Ok, I'm very new at this game, just unlocked all basic cards.

What should I invest in?

Cheap decks to invest in currently are Hunter and Warlock. Very low dust ceiling and require next to no legendaries. Mage follows close behind. Paladin can get kind of expensive depending your build and the hardest decks to build for newcomers are probably Druid and Control Warrior.

Dahbomb

Well it's pretty obvious what they have to do for the next event:

*Drastically cut down the number of packs that the players get. I mean if people are crafting double Legendaries and Epics plus getting some from packs that's not really fair especially if someone gets a good Legendary to start with.

*They should make it clear as to if stars count or not.

*They should have a set rule in the event of a tie break. Not this "let the players decide" bull crap.

*Change up the banning phase, there is way, way too much room for collusion in this format of banning.

So guys what did you think of the tournament, its pro's and cons.

+Super exciting beginning.
+Super exciting ending
+Solo adventures unlocked
+Mutliple POV
+Frodan,Lothar and Krip
+RNG
+Diversity in decks especially Reynad and Savjz

-Too many packs in general made the middle part very boring cause everyone pretty much had their deck.
-Fucking around with the rules which probably has caused Forsen the tournament
-Gnimsh
-Banning phase should have been more clear
-Saltynad cheating
-Reynad the PVEer and getting his ass kicked in normal.
-Down time in commentary

Kenaras

I hate this piece of shit game. Just played in a tournament. Guy opens with Face Hunter. Have deck full of heals, Scarlet Purifiers, Consecrates, and basically every way imaginable to fuck him up. Gets nothing. I had 4 cards that could heal me, 12 cards in deck, Solem Vigil, and get none of them.

Skillstone.

tl dr; I can hit top 100 Legend but I can't beat a Rank 19 motherfucker in a BO3.

Each individual game is far more likely to be determined by luck than by skill, and tournaments don't involve enough games to overcome that. Misplays that cost the match can and do happen, but luck is the deciding factor far more often. Reynad constantly gripes about this, but he's absolutely correct. (Ladder is different. When your standing is decided by hundreds of games, RNG evens out and skill becomes important.)

tl dr; I don't understand how people can take tournaments seriously.

Rapstah

+Super exciting ending
+Mutliple POV
+Frodan,Lothar and Krip
+RNG

-Too many packs in general made the middle part very boring cause everyone pretty much had their deck.
-Gnimsh
-Saltynad cheating
-Reynad the PVEer and getting his kicked in normal.
-Down time in commentary

They started out looking at Forsen for an hour which I didn't like, but by the end of the thing they jumped around from player to player a lot more which was great. Constant commentary is also way better than the hours in the middle where everyone was asleep. They should probably have three teams of two casters instead of two teams of three, and put someone people like in every team so there's not a bum team of Gaara and Gnimsh.

Dahbomb

+Super exciting ending
+Mutliple POV
+Frodan,Lothar and Krip
+RNG

-Gnimsh
-Saltynad cheating
-Reynad the PVEer and getting his ass kicked in normal.
-Down time in commentary
The bold was one of the best parts of the event.

I feel like the way they gave away packs was the biggest letdown as well as the ambiguous rules. I think it would be more interesting if players only got packs if they climbed ranks that way there is some incentive to climb ranks even if you lose a rank in the mid stage of the game.

Each individual game is far more likely to be determined by luck than by skill, and tournaments don't involve enough games to overcome that. Misplays that cost the match can and do happen, but luck is the deciding factor far more often. Reynad constantly gripes about this, but he's absolutely correct. (Ladder is different. When your standing is decided by hundreds of games, RNG evens out and skill becomes important.)

tl dr; I don't understand how people can take tournaments seriously.

That's exactly what happens. Paulo Vitor wrote an article called Reducing Variance that describes this exact event. I'm just salty AF that I lost first bracket despite guessing exactly what my opponent would play and which decks to counter that. A lot of people don't take Reynad seriously, but he's spot on about quite a few things in the HS community. Just needs to quit being so paranoid of stream snipers.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I agree with a lot of the above +/-s.

I was expecting way more actual ladder struggling with decks using stormwind champions and bloodfen raptors and shit for awhile. But they got packs at such a click that by the time they were done with PvE stuff and around rank 20 they had solid enough decks already. The ban phase, for how important it was, felt super unorganized--and as much as Reynad is always salty, he did say something about that I agreed with. Whatever player was the worst at picking bans gave a big advantage to someone else.

The main stream also could've used more direction. A lot of the time I clicked it and it was just mirroring another player without commentary, and early on it didn't switch around much at all.

Even though they obviously can't help it, it also sucks how much Hearthstone itself went down. There was a solid 2 hour chunk where it was down, Savjz slept, everyone else stayed up and started playing flash games and stuff. It was actually pretty entertaining(Forsen seems shockingly good at tetris) but they were all so tired and miserable looking, so it sucks that took up a chunk of it.

Still, the entire event was really entertaining and a cool idea. I'd love to see it happen again.

Reynad was the most interesting part of the tournament to me, format aside. But I'm only in it for the meltdowns and he was already 10/10 salty by the first hour.

I think the format would be significantly improved with the following changes:

- Held during the middle/latter half of a season so that there's a more lenient gradient to the ranks - holding it one the first day meant that after a couple of hours they were running in to Legend players frequently.
- Much slower release of packs/new cards. As it was complete decks with legendaries and epics were assembled easily. Seeing them forced to rank with basic cards and having to plan for crafting each Rare and Epic would be fun.
- Bit more direction on the main stream - try not to just leave it on a random player for a while.
- Clear rules explained to the players on ties. An event that relies on long form strategy needs to have clear rules for the players to plan around.

Wonder if something like this could be done for Arena. Perhaps average number of wins over 24 hours with a bonus given for number of runs played or total wins (to stop someone opening with two 10+ win runes and relaxing).

Dahbomb

It being on day 1 of Ladder reset actually makes it better. They start seeing high level players even Legend class players as late as 13 rank. It would be kinda lame if they just rushed through 25-5.

I mean just because they are at rank 7 doesn't mean they aren't facing Legendary players.

KePoW

Banned
It being on day 1 of Ladder reset actually makes it better

Completely agree with this. I don't want to see them beat noobs

Also Reynad has a point, all competitors should be able to play the same classes. Different bans don't make sense

tootsi666

6BKaFwH.jpg

Thanks reddit

Repost. Must have got lost in the tournament excitement.

What should I invest in? 

I spent $10 on 7 packs and got shit. I have about 490 gold. What should I do? 

I haven't dusted anything. Should I just pick a character I don't like and dust everything of theirs? 

What cards should I focus on to buy with dust? 

I think I like Mage, Hunter, or Palladin as my main. 

Thanks.

Kenaras

Repost. Must have got lost in the tournament excitement.

What should I invest in? 

I spent $10 on 7 packs and got shit. I have about 490 gold. What should I do? 

I haven't dusted anything. Should I just pick a character I don't like and dust everything of theirs? 

What cards should I focus on to buy with dust? 

I think I like Mage, Hunter, or Palladin as my main. 

Thanks.

Don't spend any more cash on packs unless you have a lot of disposable income, and don't mind wastingspending it. In that case, buy in bulk.

Arenas are very cost-effective for gaining new cards, but only if you're skilled enough to do well. Try learning the ropes in Play mode first, then check out an Arena guide. (ADWCTA's Hearthstone Arena Tier List might be helpful.)

If you don't like Arena, just do your daily quests in Play mode and slowly buy packs. It's going to take a long time to build a competitive collection, so until then try not to stress over your opponents having more cards than you.

If you're going to spend cash, the solo adventures (Naxxramas and Blackrock Mountain) will give you the best bang for your buck—by a wide margin. These are actually the only purchases I personally feel are worth the cash.

Early on, just save your dust and don't disenchant anything. Arenas will give you a better idea of how the cards play, and after a while there you should have a clearer idea of what you want to play in constructed. Then you can start crafting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom