• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cider X

Priest is coin, injured blademaster, CoH.

This gives you a turn 2 4/7. It especially wrecks other priests as they have no hard removal for 4 attack minions.

bjaelke

LFzrVhr.png

"That was a mistake."
Priest is coin, injured blademaster, CoH.

This gives you a turn 2 4/7. It especially wrecks other priests as they have no hard removal for 4 attack minions.

Then follow up with double resurrect.

Parshias7

Gonna do another arena run if anyone's interested - http://twitch.tv/danj2k

A tip for you: don't play Cult Master unless you can get card draws off of it. A 4 mana 4/2 is a crappy minion. A handful of times I saw you play a Cult Master either on an empty board or just pass the turn without attacking with any minions. You need to wait to play Cult Master until a turn where you are planning on trading in 1-2 of your own minions so you can get card draw.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Danj

Yeah unfortunately that run went terribly, I got stuck with a bad choice of classes and a somewhat eclectic deck and only managed 3-3. Oh well, onwards and upwards I suppose.

Dahbomb

Another strong Mage opener is turn 1 coin Mech Warper into double Clockworks or turn 2 coin Mech Warper, Mech Warper, Annoyotron, Snowchugger, Clockwork etc.

Dahbomb

Whats the mage deck that people use the alex dragon? (The one that brings the hp to 15?)
Freeze Mage.

In other news I have figured out a Dragon Paladin deck that is probably going to be the one that gets played at a reasonably well. It's basically a Mid game Tempo oriented Paladin Dragon deck with Solemn Vigils and Volcanic Drakes as the core components of the deck.

It will feature no late game dragons because I feel it runs counter to the strategy of this deck. Late game dragons give you NO tempo advantage on the turn they are played. The only Legendaries it features are Dr Balanced and Loatheb (Tirion if you want to include it is fine as well).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Against aggro, if I start with coin, should I put both zombie chows out?

Dahbomb

Against aggro, if I start with coin, should I put both zombie chows out?
What class and what's your 2 drop? If you have a good enough play at turn 2 then it's fine to play double Zombie Chow as long as you KNOW its aggro that's incoming.

Anyway here's the Tempo Dragon Paladin deck I am talking about that I have made (minus Tirion because I don't hate it, the rest of the cards I do have).

Here's the reasoning behind the cards:

2x Solemn Vigils, 2x Volcanic Drakes, 2x Corruptors, 2x Muster for Battle: These cards offer very high tempo swings. There are 2x of Vigils and Drakes because you can potentially play all 4 of them in one turn for a huge play! Corruptor you can play one of but it fits well into the theme of the deck. Muster for Battle enables these plays so its also a core component of this deck. I have played around with the deck and its very easy to get 0 cost Vigils or sub 2 cost Drakes.

2x Consecrates, 2x Truesilvers, 2x Aldors, 1x Equality : Staple Paladin cards for control. 2x Consecrates are a must as they enable the big tempo plays. 1x Equality is enough in this from experience.

2x Azure Drake, 2x Dragon Consorts : In all honesty if there were better dragons I would play something else, Drake is alright as it buffs up your Consecrates but Consorts really are there to get the Drakes or another Consort out fast for big tempo plays. Basically the use of Consort is that instead of getting out one late game dragon out early you are aiming to get two mid sized dragons out one turn (or 3). Azure Drake also buffs up Consecrates to enable the tempo plays.

2x Technicians, 2x Shielded Bots, 1x Zombie Chow: These are the best cards for their mana value and thus give you powerful early plays. You can put in 2x Zombie Chow if you want by cutting a Corruptor.

1x Knife Juggler: I basically wanted another 2 drop in this deck and Knife Juggler was obvious with an Equality, 2x Musters and Volcanic Drake.

1x of Defender of Argus, Belcher and Tirion: I wanted at least 3 taunts in this deck to hold off the aggression. I definitely wanted something at 4 curve and with 2x Muster for Battles, DoA was an easy choice especially with Minibots and Technicians in the deck. Belcher is also amazing and so is Tirion though they come a bit later. The reason there is one Belcher because the 5 drop is already very heavy in this deck though it should be noted that Solemn Vigil is VERY RARELY a 5 drop, at worst it's usually a 3 drop.

1x Antique Healbot: I basically needed at least one big heal to get out of Hunter lethal ranges. Lay of Hands is too slow for this purpose and I already have enough card draw in this deck. The only problem I have with Healbot is that it's a 5 drop and there are like 7 other 5 drops in this deck already.

Dr Balanced: Do you have to ask? LMAO!

Cards that can be placed in this deck if you cut something:

*Quartermaster : Good choice especially to ensure that Grim Patron decks don't demolish or feed off of your 1/1s and you already have 2x Muster for Battles. Problem is that Quartermaster is already competing for many other 5 drops in this deck.

*A second DoA instead of Belcher. Smooth out the curve a bit yet still have the extra taunt.

*BGH, MCT. Both valid tech options depending on the meta.

*Loatheb. Yet another godly 5 drop that you need to make room for.

*Emperor Thaurissan. For this deck it's OK but not that essential to be honest.

*Owl for that clutch silence. Definitely one in there.

As you can see there are no late game dragons in this deck and here's why:

*Most dragons you can ramp out by turn 7 or in Chromaggus' case turn 6. None of these cards actually do anything on the turn they are played except Alex and maybe Nef if he gets like a 0/1 drop spell. In many cases I would just rather play Dr Balanced instead OR just wait one turn and play Tirion.

*The late dragons don't offer any tempo on the turn they are played (like Dr Balanced) or offer any protection (like Tirion). Thus they don't fit into the theme of the decks.

Yoshichan

Thanks Dahbomb, nice stuff

Dahbomb

Now THIS is what I am talking about son!

Hearthstone_Screenshot_05_03_15_13_02_08.png

Hearthstone_Screenshot_05_03_15_13_02_40.png

Solemn Vigil AND Drake played for free and then DoA drawn from the Vigil to buff up both of the Drakes on the same turn! The tempo plays can get absurd!

Dahbomb

I don't main Paladin, I play it for fun.

I actually don't main any class, I kinda play all of them except Rogue though I can probably play that too.

KePoW

Banned
I don't main Paladin, I play it for fun.

I actually don't main any class, I kinda play all of them except Rogue though I can probably play that too.

ah ok I don't have Tirion myself since I only play Face Paly

but I thought I heard Tirion is literally best card in entire game and everyone crafts it first??

Dahbomb

but I thought I heard Tirion is literally best card in entire game and everyone crafts it first??
Tirion is the best card for Paladin so if you play Paladin its the best card to get.

Best card in the entire game is Dr Balanced.

Rapstah

Kripp says Tirion is the best card in the entire game in arena. That's obviously not the same thing as the best card overall though.

Special C

He probably is, but I've never crafted him because I play all classess so neutrals have more value for me. If I do ever craft a class legendary it will probably be Tirion.

KePoW

Banned
Tirion is the best card for Paladin so if you play Paladin its the best card to get.

Best card in the entire game is Dr Balanced.

Kripp says Tirion is the best card in the entire game in arena. That's obviously not the same thing as the best card overall though.

He probably is, but I've never crafted him because I play all classess so neutrals have more value for me. If I do ever craft a class legendary it will probably be Tirion.

ah ok makes sense

I must have mis-heard it then... probably said best class legendary of all, like you guys said, but not counting neutrals

Dahbomb

He was just quoting what that one Hearthstone arena site has as the rating for Tirion (which is 100, highest possible).

It's a very insignificant thing because A) You are not always going to be playing as Paladin in Arena B) You aren't always going to get a Legendary in arena playing Paladin C) You aren't always going to get the option to pick Tirion among your 3 Legendaries D) You aren't always going to have to make the choice of choosing Tirion over Dr Balanced.

Even in the RARE chance that you get offered a Dr Balanced vs Tirion.. it isn't really as simple as "Tirion is clearly better than Dr Balanced, I will pick it". Tirion still gets crushed by Polymorphy/Hex/Silences even in Arena and Dr Balanced can still wreck even if he is hit by those cards. So Tirion being better than Dr is a matter of opinion for Arena and even if one if better than the other we are talking about the difference between 96 and 100 here.

In Constructed it doesn't matter because most Paladin decks use BOTH Tirion AND Dr Balanced. On the other hand a ton other classes/decks use Dr Balanced. Even the new modified Zoolock runs Dr Balanced now (that's ranked #2 best deck on ladder I believe after Grim Patron according to TL).

Tacitus_

MFW priest finishes me in arena with two chargers
tumblr_mctmr2bQzj1rrqpumo1_500.gif

Had the shiettiest start too, with my curve starting at 4! At least I had the coin.

I love playing against mill decks as a midrange warlock. It's like they're just helping me with my own gameplan - massive card draw with cheap, valuable minions.

Dahbomb

I love playing against mill decks as a midrange warlock. It's like they're just helping me with my own gameplan - massive card draw with cheap, valuable minions.

LMAO I hate how "Demonlock" and "Zoolock" is combined to make this new but better hybrid Zoolock deck which is called "Midrange" when it is really just a modified Zoolock with Void Terrors and Malganis/Dr Balanced...

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
God i was playing vs a dragon paladin and he gave me two dust devils thanks to hungry dragon, hypersheep was right that card does suck.

Dahbomb

Warlock is so all over the place atm, almost worse than Tempo Mage some months ago
That's because there are like 3-4 different Warlock decks on ladder. Incidentally one of the big counters to Zoolock is in fact Handlock which is also making rounds on Ladder.

KePoW

Banned
That's because there are like 3-4 different Warlock decks on ladder. Incidentally one of the big counters to Zoolock is in fact Handlock which is also making rounds on Ladder.

I've never tried handlock before, is it pretty easy (low cost) to make that deck??

Opiate

Hahahah Holy shit vsing a Priest as a Oil Rogue that used Hungry Dragon against me, it spawns a Webspinner. He proceeds to Kill the Webspinner and out pops out King Krush. Take him down to to 3 HP while he desperately uses Holy Nova on nothing and tries to heal up as much as possble. Hes at 7 hp then KING KRUSH TIME! Don't attack straight away just spamming Thank You and Greetings. He hovers over it for like 30 Seconds I wish I could have heard his reaction, and wish I recorded that Game for a Funniest Moments Montage god dam. Blizzard should record your last 3 Games Automatic!
All the Good games happen on my Phone >.<

Good story and all, but you beat a Priest as an oil rogue. That's like a warrior spamming "greetings" when he beats a freeze mage -- the matchup is already hugely stacked in your favor to begin with.

TheMink

How can i play with my friend? It doesnt seem to be working.

It just says "wait for him to go to the main menu" but he is just waiting for me, so it should be working?

Edit: Oh is it not cross platform play? im on comp hes on phone.

Dahbomb

Which had jack shit to do with my comment.
I know, I was just saying that as an aside. It was just me expressing a pet peeve.

I've never tried handlock before, is it pretty easy (low cost) to make that deck??
No its very costly and its among the slowest/hardest decks to play.

You need 4 Giants (all Epics), a bunch of Legendaries (Dr B, Sylvanas, Jaraxxus, Malganis, maybe Rag) and Rares (DoA, Twilight Drake, Shadowflame etc).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How can i play with my friend? It doesnt seem to be working.

It just says "wait for him to go to the main menu" but he is just waiting for me, so it should be working?

Edit: Oh is it not cross platform play? im on comp hes on phone.

It should work, not sure why it isn't. Doesn't matter if he's on phone while you're on PC.

KePoW

Banned
No, holy crap. It's like every giant and Jaraxxus.

Very much no. Lots of legendary and epic cards, including class specific ones.

No its very costly and its among the slowest/hardest decks to play.

You need 4 Giants (all Epics), a bunch of Legendaries (Dr B, Sylvanas, Jaraxxus, Malganis, maybe Rag) and Rares (DoA, Twilight Drake, Shadowflame etc).

aww dratz, ok thx team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom