• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Sorry, I took it the wrong way. My fault.
Yea it was more directed at TL or whoever coined it in the first place. I guess it's a result of there being a bunch of different Warlock decks on Ladder that they have to differentiate them (fast Zoolock, Midrange Zoolock, Demonlock, Handlock, Combolock).

In other news my Dragon Tempo deck has been doing some work. The plays catch a lot of players off guard. I think I can finally take Dragon Pally on actual Ladder!

manhack

I'm 23-16 (59%) win-rate with a mid-range paladin I have been tweaking for the current meta. I'll talk about it later if it actually ends up doing well

In the meantime I thought I'd give a quick meta update to let people know what is out there:

In 39 games:

8 Hunters
6 Warlock
6 Warrior
5 Paladin
5 Druids
3 Mages
3 Priest
2 Rogue
1 Shaman

I can't imagine there are any surprises here LOL

Mostly mid-range hunter, face hunter, zoolock, grim patron, dragon paladin and combo druid.

Dahbomb

"Midrange" seems like the most arbitrary term in Hearthstone.
Midrange decks are basically whatever isn't full aggro or full control in Hearthstone.

It's much better to call that new Zoolock deck Tempolock than Midrangelock IMO. That deck is all about tempo.

Special C

That's because there are like 3-4 different Warlock decks on ladder. Incidentally one of the big counters to Zoolock is in fact Handlock which is also making rounds on Ladder.

I like it. I used to be stuck Playing Zoo for Warlock dailies because I didn't want to invest the dust in handlock. Now I have more options.

Fixed1979

Warlock definitely appears to have the most variance right now, there's lots of slightly different decks for other classes, but you open a game against a warlock and you have no idea what you're about to deal with. Makes it incredibly hard to mulligan aggressively.

manhack

Warlock definitely appears to have the most variance right now, there's lots of slightly different decks for other classes, but you open a game against a warlock and you have no idea what you're about to deal with. Makes it incredibly hard to mulligan aggressively.

Yeah, that was the same position we were in last month with mage varieties.

Haven't seen a mech mage in forever lol. Last 2 mage match ups were freeze mage

manhack

Testing out Nefarian in a paladin deck while playing against a priest.

he has 2 northshires and 2 sludge belchers on board after I get Circle of healing from Nefarian.

with 4 cards left in his deck i consecrate the board and play Circle of Healing.

I overdraw him for exact lethal after end turn button.

Nefarian OP.

Also don't go full Northshire against someone who played Nefarian LOL

Dahbomb

I firmly believe in the Reynad theory of Unstable Portal

"sometimes you just win the game."
Remember when people said that you wouldn't see Unstable Portal in Constructed play because it's too unreliable?

Man some pro players get so much stuff wrong its hilarious.

In any case my top 5 ranks for BRM expansion thus far.

Top 5 cards that ended up being better than what most expected:

1) Grim Patron - Most people thought this would just be used in a gimmick Warrior deck and will get the occasional big play wins. Well the gimmick deck is putting in a lot of work.

2) Solemn Vigil - Most people thought this card would be good in Paladin but right now this card feels like a STAPLE in just about every Paladin deck.

3) Flamewaker - No one really expected this card to be as obscene as it currently is. This card can shut out matches real quick if the deck is built properly around it.

4) Rend Blackhand - Pretty much everyone wrote off this card as being complete crap. Well as it turns out in a slower Paladin Dragon deck this card actually does work. Certainly not a bad card you can include in a Dragon deck, there is a lot worse you can do. Still not quite good enough to push slow Dragon Paladin decks though.

5) Imp Gang Boss - Everyone knew this was a very good card and would be godly in Arena. However people didn't expect this card to be that good in Zoolock (everyone knew it's an instant include in Zoolock) to the point where it pushes the deck a lot of ranks and actually competes with the other heavy aggro/tempo decks. One of the cards responsible for making Warlock so common on ladder.

Top 5 cards that ended up being worse than what most expected:

1) Demonwrath : This card is still amazing. The problem is that this card is USELESS against another Warlock. This wouldn't normally be an issue... except right now Warlocks are all over Ladder. When the meta shifts this card will return to see some action because it does in fact do a lot of work.

2) Fireguard Destroyer : Might be too soon to call but Fireguard Destroyer has not pushed Shaman in Constructed like people thought it would. The card is just simply good not great... it's not the Imp Gang Boss that the Shaman class wanted.

3) Lava Shock : Pretty much the same thing as Fireguard Destroyer, people had expectation for this card to change the Shaman meta. You still see this card used on the Ladder but it doesn't do that much most of the time. Maybe this card's potential hasn't been reached with the proper deck.

4) Hungry Dragon - There were quite a few people who thought this card would get use and some were actually hyped for it. Well it's getting use... it's being used to give the opponent some wins because this card is fucking awful!

5) Dark Iron Skulker - This card has the highest rating for a Rare for the Rogue class in Arena. In Constructed it hasn't seen much play despite players saying how godlike this card is. However, this card just doesn't fit in the current two playstyles of Rogue so maybe if there's a more control-ish Rogue deck posted this card will get more use. I personally still think this card is very good and will eventually see play in Constructed, it's a matter of when not if.

Top 5 cards that were as good/bad as expected:

1) Emperor Thaurissan - Staple in quite a few decks as expected.

2) Quick Shot - Staple in Hunter decks as expected.

3) Revenge - Shit card is shit, no one has been using it since there are already so many ways to do 1 damage to board and being at 12 health is generally unreliable.

4) Majordormo - When people say the 8 health they knew it would be shit. Well the card is shit... to the shock of no one.

5) Core Rager - Everyone knew this card was not get played and they were right. Card is awful.

I did it second golden hero. Garrosh was my first ages ago i haven't really focused on one class since then.

T8boq10.jpg

tylerf

I think I'm going to use Warrior as my main ranked class this season after a few seasons of Paladin. Control Warrior seems like it could catch some people off guard when they expect Patrons.

Boba2007

I have no idea what just happened, but it was amazing. Warlock is one of my worst classes.

I started the run 1-2, but Deathwing single-handedly got me 5 or 6 wins. Starting a match with this:

and then killing them with Deathwing is the best. Not entirely sure how I won the other games without Deathwing, although the voidcallers and hellfires helped.

The reward was so awful though. come on Blizz, these need to change.

Edit: Drakonid Crusher is good too... as long as you remember the buff is a battlecry and not an active effect. Not sure why I thought that, but it caused my first loss.

whoa I had no idea Deathwing was so good

can't it be pretty easily removed??

Deathwing can be dealt with in a lot of different ways so it's not very good in constructed (Mind Control ultimate nightmare scenario)

I feel like in arena there's less of a chance of BGH or anything like that. He's really the same as any big minion, except he is the biggest minion available and can have a huge drawback.

And also he's satisfying to play. Nothing can turn the tide like Power Incarnate.

Boba2007

whoa I had no idea Deathwing was so good

can't it be pretty easily removed??

As long as you bait out the removal with big minions (which you should play anyways since you'll lose them when playing Deathwing) or wait until their hand is empty you're good. Unless they topdeck something, which is unlikely.

Maximo

I have no idea what just happened, but it was amazing. Warlock is one of my worst classes.

I started the run 1-2, but Deathwing single-handedly got me 5 or 6 wins. Starting a match with this:

and then killing them with Deathwing is the best. Not entirely sure how I won the other games without Deathwing, although the voidcallers and hellfires helped.

The reward was so awful though. come on Blizz, these need to change.

Edit: Drakonid Crusher is good too... as long as you remember the buff is a battlecry and not an active effect. Not sure why I thought that, but it caused my first loss.
My mind is constantly blown by people who can actually get more then 4 Arena wins.

ZZMitch

My mind is constantly blown by people who can actually get more then 4 Arena wins.

Just gotta make good trades and get Max value out of the cards you have. I've been playing Arena for ever and I average 5.5 wins per run. You get the hang of it eventually! Arena was all I played for months until I amassed a good collection of cards and was able to create strong ranked decks.

If you spam Mage and Paladin and follow HearthArena for your picks you'd probably be able to average 4 wins (except when you don't get those classes). You'll get 1-2 wins for free a lot of the time, as with the expansion and the mobile release there's a ton of weaker players around in the lower reaches of the Arena and those classes will deliver a half-decent player a couple of cheap wins with Shielded Minibots and Truesilvers; Water Eles and Fireballs. I play frequently when tired and pick sub-optimal classes and average 5.5 wins (almost exactly 6 with both Mage and Paladin).

Dahbomb

Deathwing is one of the few cards in the game that can win you an unwinnable game. It's a pure comeback mechanic.

In Arena there's less chance that they have a removal or a BGH so if that Deathwing hits and they don't have a way to stall it with taunt then you are looking at 24 damage to the face which can finish the game by itself at that stage.

Still would rather have Kelthuzad or Dr Balanced but you usually can't go wrong with Deathwing.

Deathwing is one of the few cards in the game that can win you an unwinnable game. It's a pure comeback mechanic.

In Arena there's less chance that they have a removal or a BGH so if that Deathwing hits and they don't have a way to stall it with taunt then you are looking at 24 damage to the face which can finish the game by itself at that stage.

Still would rather have Kelthuzad or Dr Balanced but you usually can't go wrong with Deathwing.

It is a pure comeback mechanic, that perhaps would not even be necessary had you a non-dead card in the first place.
crazy.gif

Dahbomb

It is a pure comeback mechanic, that perhaps would not even be necessary had you a non-dead card in the first place.
crazy.gif
You normally have some dead cards in your hand in Arena. You have your situation stuff like BGH, Blood Knight, Kezan Mystic and MCT that are just waiting for the right opportunity. When they hit they can win you the game and that's what Deathwing is.

Of course this is Arena.. in Constructed it pretty much sucks because people just have a lot of answers to a single minion.

You normally have some dead cards in your hand in Arena. You have your situation stuff like BGH, Blood Knight, Kezan Mystic and MCT that are just waiting for the right opportunity. When they hit they can win you the game and that's what Deathwing is.

Of course this is Arena.. in Constructed it pretty much sucks because people just have a lot of answers to a single minion.

In arena it is even worse to have a dead card like deathwing. Too situational to be picked over any other usable legendary, even vanilla stat.

ZZMitch

If you spam Mage and Paladin and follow HearthArena for your picks you'd probably be able to average 4 wins (except when you don't get those classes). You'll get 1-2 wins for free a lot of the time, as with the expansion and the mobile release there's a ton of weaker players around in the lower reaches of the Arena and those classes will deliver a half-decent player a couple of cheap wins with Shielded Minibots and Truesilvers; Water Eles and Fireballs. I play frequently when tired and pick sub-optimal classes and average 5.5 wins (almost exactly 6 with both Mage and Paladin).

I find Shaman really strong too. Its my best class in Arena all time actually.

I feel like this Arena deck shouldn't be 5-0. It just doesn't seem that great to me. Am I underrating it? I guess I just have a lot of above-average quality cards with just Kobold Geomancer and maybe Silence being below-average. Kobold puts in work with a well-timed Holy Nova though.

Celegus

I swear I'm never going to clear out these stupid quests. Went 0-6 today. Not familiar with all the new cards because I'm still trying to save up gold and getting demolished over and over and I don't even want to play the game anymore.

I swear I'm never going to clear out these stupid quests. Went 0-6 today. Not familiar with all the new cards because I'm still trying to save up gold and getting demolished over and over and I don't even want to play the game anymore.

A solid deck pre-brm should still be able to perform decent post-brm. Perhaps you just need a new deck or to alter your current one.

KePoW

Banned

are you trying to do quests in Casual or Ranked? at the beginning of months I would suggest Casual

You know what is demolishing face hunter for me? Aggro/burn warrior! I haven't lost one yet, and damage just enables my mortal strikes to hit for 6.

Getting that early board control via leper gnome + weapon/taskmaster is pretty damn crucial though methinks.

4) Hungry Dragon - There were quite a few people who thought this card would get use and some were actually hyped for it. Well it's getting use... it's being used to give the opponent some wins because this card is fucking awful!

heres something i just found out.... getting a hungry dragon from a piloted sky golem is pretty good

I just beat this hunter so nasty.

Turn 2:
haunted creeper

My turn 2:
dagger up hit creeper

Turn 3:
Arcane golem

my turn 3 (4 mana):
kill creeper, coin, dark iron skulker

Turn 4:
Knife juggler, knife juggler

my turn 4 (5 mana):
bloodmage thalnos, fan of knives

my turn 5:
hungry dragon, summons him a 1/1 I use thalnos to kill, sap his mad scientist to delay explosive trap

All downhill for the hunter from turn 4 for the hunter. In the end I had 2 eviscerates, deadly poison, and a sword oil plus even a prep to use it all, and I only needed a few points of extra damage in the end.

Playing dark iron skulker on turn 3 was a blast though.

I just faced the nastiest opener I've ever seen in Arena. I'm 7-0 as a Priest vs. a Mage.

Turn 1: Mana Wyrm
Turn 2: Mana Wyrm, Coin, Flamecannon to clear my board
Turn 3: Flame Cannon again to clear my board. He has 2 4/3 Manawyrms now...

I mean, what the fuck.

OK, maybe not THE nastiest, but still gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom