• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell I got a Webspinner from one which gave me King Krush which won me the game.

One time I got a doomsayer from shredder which lost me a game that I was guaranteed to win.

The chances of that happening are, in all seriousness, higher than getting a webspinner that gets you a win I would bet. And yet shredder is still a great card.

GAF help!

Why such a drastic difference in my arena performance with coin compared to without?

My last three runs are 11-3, 12-1, and currently 1-2 because i played two games with coin. And all three losses in 11-3 were with coin. I feel like the result is determined before the game even starts based off that coinflip :S

im5rOAz.png

Been trying really hard to make Mill Rogue work tonight but holy shit not drawing a single Coldlight Oracle or Deathlord and having 8 card left in the deck ... just about ready to break something.

Never played a deck SO reliant on getting a card before. Ugh frustration to the maximum.

Remember when sticky minions and tempo style decks were all the rage in classic release, maybe even going back before zoo was popular?

New rogue deck incoming:

Hearthstone_Screenshot_05_04_15_01_37_09.png

In all seriousness, this is not especially a serious deck although I have been performing quite well on ladder. So while this version is not serious, I think if I keep iterating on it, it could be. So far this version is 7-0, and the overall stats are 11-2. Although early in the season, still fairly low rank games (17-13) played over the last 3 days, those are higher than just good stats for a new deck.

Chrommagus has been a fun card and has had an impact in a couple matches, surprisingly enough. I haven't had enough use of him to see how good or bad he is when he does hit the field, but I did have a paladin who spent his board and a chunk of hp to remove it, and then played nothing else because he had to lay on hands himself back from death. Intersting enough, if chrommagus did survive I would have gotten an extra deadly poison which would have won me the game that turn, instead I settled to winning through the next 2 turns.

Hungry dragon so far has been pretty amazeballs for me. Just had a match where I got hungry dragon copied by chrommagus, played both, and then blade flurried (with poison) killing his whole board.

Dark iron skulker has been a real champ. Vs shaman... crushes. Vs face hunter... crushes... vs zoo (oddly haven't played enough zoo)... you can just imagine. So DIS single handedly makes aggro matches much better for rogue, one of the weaker points of the oil rogue is its face hunter match up. Even mech mage and zoo can be difficult for oil rogue to win against unless they get blade flurry. Skulker, I think, is going to only grow in popularity, based on my usage of him so far.

Been trying really hard to make Mill Rogue work tonight but holy shit not drawing a single Coldlight Oracle or Deathlord and having 8 card left in the deck ... just about ready to break something.

Never played a deck SO reliant on getting a card before. Ugh frustration to the maximum.

I played a lot of Mill Rogue a while back because I kept running into Handlocks and I thought it would be pretty funny to use their card draw against them. But every time I came up against Handlock, I'd never draw Coldlight Oracle. To this day, I don't think I've ever successfully milled a Handlock. I actually successfully milled Zoo one time, but I can't pull it off vs. Handlock. I once drew all but 4 cards without ever seeing a Coldlight Oracle vs. a Handlock. I eventually quit playing the deck because of its dependence on Coldlight. Mill Rogue's resurgence is kind of baffling to me. Gang Up makes the deck better, but it's still wildly inconsistent. More often than not, you're just giving the other player what they need to pull off a win.

KePoW

Banned
Dark iron skulker has been a real champ. Vs shaman... crushes. Vs face hunter... crushes... vs zoo (oddly haven't played enough zoo)... you can just imagine. So DIS single handedly makes aggro matches much better for rogue, one of the weaker points of the oil rogue is its face hunter match up. Even mech mage and zoo can be difficult for oil rogue to win against unless they get blade flurry. Skulker, I think, is going to only grow in popularity, based on my usage of him so far.

I played a couple rouges tonight with DIS. It's pretty good against my Face Hunter although I still ended up winning both games

I think if the rouges played it earlier than turn 6 it would have been much better for them. But I don't really recall their decks as a whole...they definitely did not play Emperior, Dr. Boom, or Chromaggus though

Hektor

wat does ur "EVERYONE" Warrior mean??

Probably ༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ EVERYONE, GET IN HERE! ༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽

KePoW

Banned
EVERYONE GET IN HERE

(grim patron)

Probably ༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ EVERYONE, GET IN HERE! ༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽

oh duhhh that's right

I thought it was somehow referring to a deck that beats all opponents lol

Christ, looking through Icy Veins and I wonder how long it's been since some cards have been updated. Some examples -

"Sludge Belcher is inferior to Sen'jin Shieldmasta because of its mana cost and you should consider including it in your deck only if you are already playing Sen'jin Shieldmasta."

Uhh... been a few months since I've seen anyone run Taz'dingo over Belchers.

"Sylvanas Windrunner's Deathrattle can often be avoided with efficient minion trading, however in most situations Cairne Bloodhoof will create bigger advantage on the board than Sylvanas."

??? Pretty much nothing runs Cairne nowadays, while a ton of decks run Sylvanas.

"Sylvanas Windrunner's Deathrattle can often be avoided with efficient minion trading, however in most situations Cairne Bloodhoof will create bigger advantage on the board than Sylvanas."

Well technically that is still true... it is just that there is a shitload more good stuff to steal these days, and you already have 16 mechs on the board.

Wooo! Got my first golden portrait: priest.

Am I imagining things or is start of the season harder than end of the season? I played ~30 games on 2nd and 3rd, I made a lot less progress than when I played a week before.

Am I imagining things or is start of the season harder than end of the season? I played ~30 games on 2nd and 3rd, I made a lot less progress than when I played a week before.

Start of the season is waaaaaaaay harder.
Was rank 8, shot back to rank 18, having a harder time breaking past that then breaking to rank 8.

The last week of the season is the birth place of many "This deck I made is amazing" decks.

Come the new season it is reality and 0 and 20 time once again. There is a huge difference.

Hektor

Im usually around rank 6-12 at the end of a season, but once the new season starts im seeing the message "You cant lose stars at this rank" several times a day.

KePoW

Banned

Beginning of seasons is always harder

CoolOff

Can't believe Boom hasn't been nerfed yet, useless sacks of shits in charge of this game.

The most amazing thing is the amount of people on the official forum who are very sure that it's not OP.

The fact that you get multiple (strong!) bodies on the board without any of the overcost that usually brings (Dragonling Mechanic?) is just dumb. It's actually undercosted compared to what's actually spread onto the board.

Useless sacks of shit.

Start of the season is waaaaaaaay harder.
Was rank 8, shot back to rank 18, having a harder time breaking past that then breaking to rank 8.
The last week of the season is the birth place of many "This deck I made is amazing" decks.

Come the new season it is reality and 0 and 20 time once again. There is a huge difference.
Im usually around rank 6-12 at the end of a season, but once the new season starts im seeing the message "You cant lose stars at this rank" several times a day.
Beginning of seasons is always harder

Cheers :) Silver lining: if I manage to keep over 50% win rate during first days, it's a positive sign. But it WAS weird seeing like 3+ golden portraits in a row.

Raytow

They aren't going to nerf their GvG moneymaker, when the next expansion comes out and we get a new dr balanced, then maybe.

I played a couple rouges tonight with DIS. It's pretty good against my Face Hunter although I still ended up winning both games

I think if the rouges played it earlier than turn 6 it would have been much better for them. But I don't really recall their decks as a whole...they definitely did not play Emperior, Dr. Boom, or Chromaggus though

To be fair I haven't faced too much face hunters yet. But basically the key for rogue to win that match up, and perhaps any match up vs aggro, is to get a swing turn very early where I get board and they have nothing, getting me initiative. After that it is somewhat of a race and it is one that rogue can actually win since I can remove their minions with spells and deal damage with minions, or just have them attempt to clear board which can be difficult for them to do since they aren't equipped to do that, and use the burn spells just for face damage to win the race.

Dark iron skulker is like si7 agent, getting me that precious removal play plus playing a threat itself.

Definitely if I take too much damage early, I can lose out. I'm not running taunts or heals in this version after all. But because I am proactively removing threats, I probably save more health than a taunt, that would likely just get silenced anyway, would give. Healbot, on the other hand, is definitely a possibility of including 1 of, or earthen ring farseer.

You folks and your high ranks :( I've never gotten higher than about rank 15 :(

Just play in the last couple of nights of a season. You can get to about rank 6-8 in one sitting with win streaks. As we saw with the three pro players and Reynad, it is very difficult to get far this time of month even with the best of decks.

On Massan's stream:
Mage unstable portals ET on turn 4

He removes it with death's bite.

Turn 5 he plays his own ET.

"Oh my god, is this real?" - Massan 2015.

edit:
And holy shit he just drew 8 cards off battle rage from 7 minions on board plus himself being damaged.

And then wow he gained 14 armor off armorsmith topdeck off acolyte + unstable ghoul... that shit was crazy. Also, the freeze mage was dog and he had 0 chance with that line of play lmao.

Check this out, airport in Korea

CEJOI7-UUAAsG9y.jpg

edit:

Some random thoughts about hearthstone:

Ladder does not determine who is right, only who is left.

The release of Dr. Boom has changed everything except our way of thinking... the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.

The direct use of face damage is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large streamers.

Everyone's control between playing face games. It's like being a vegetarian between meals.

Never think that aggro, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.

in case it is not realized, these are just some quotes (mostly famous quotes) regarding war altered for hearthstone

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
They aren't going to nerf their GvG moneymaker, when the next expansion comes out and we get a new dr balanced, then maybe.

I seriously don't understand this line of reasoning. You can get Dr. Boom without buying a single GvG pack. Has anybody in the history of time ever opened up GvG packs just on the off chance that they open Dr. Boom?

I seriously don't understand this line of reasoning. You can get Dr. Boom without buying a single GvG pack. Has anybody in the history of time ever opened up GvG packs just on the off chance that they open Dr. Boom?

You don't think people buy packs? Lots of people would buy lots of packs and Dr Boom is a huge reason, especially compared to the other gvg cards.

I still think that dr. boom is seriously overrated. I still wouldn't mind seeing him with less hp, but it isn't so necessary that blizzard has to do it or else.

Before I had dr. boom I thought he was overrated... and after making him and playing with him enough, I still think that if not more now.

Tacitus_

I still think that dr. boom is seriously overrated. I still wouldn't mind seeing him with less hp, but it isn't so necessary that blizzard has to do it or else.

Before I had dr. boom I thought he was overrated... and after making him and playing with him enough, I still think that if not more now.

They should nerf Boom to a 6/7

ViviOggi

The 7/7 is not the issue, it's the bombs. Each being able to kill an x/5 and regularly sniping 3-4 health minions even behind taunts is fucking bonkers

ZealousD

You don't think people buy packs? Lots of people would buy lots of packs and Dr Boom is a huge reason, especially compared to the other gvg cards.

Sure, people buy packs. What I don't understand is why people think Dr. Boom is a "moneymaker". As in, they only buy packs BECAUSE of Dr. Boom, specifically.

Haunted

Yes? Everyone who doesn't have 1600 dust ready but wants the best card in the game? So... probably not the top 10% (have the dust or means to get the dust) and not the bottom 20% (unaware of Boom's OPness).

That said, I'm fairly certain that overall balance considerations rank higher than imbalance-as-an-IAP-incentive on Blizzard's priority list. They're usually fairly smart in figuring out how far they can push the latter (and rectify it when they miss the mark).

ZealousD

Yes? Everyone who doesn't have 1600 dust ready but wants the best card in the game? So... probably not the top 10% (have the dust or means to get the dust) and not the bottom 20% (unaware of Boom's OPness).

If we make the assumption that none of the other GvG cards are worth having (which is what you assume when you call Dr. Boom a "moneymaker"), you can always get the dust by opening classic packs instead. Opening packs aiming to get a SPECIFIC LEGENDARY is idiotic. When people say "maybe I'll get so-and-so if I open packs" and it happens exactly that way, shit makes Trolden. I've opened hundreds of GvG packs and I've never actually opened a Dr. Boom.

ZealousD

Someone please talk me down and explain why Face Hunter is okay.

Outside of Mad Scientist and maaaybe Quick Shot, none of the cards in the deck are OP. If you think Face Hunter needs to be nerfed, you need to be specific as to which cards you think are problematic.

Hearthstone rng at it its finest... shaman has to roll spellpower totem and hit for 5 on 1 of 2 minions. He also happens to top deck an azure drake to even enable that shit in the first place...

Tacitus_

Outside of Mad Scientist and maaaybe Quick Shot, none of the cards in the deck are OP. If you think Face Hunter needs to be nerfed, you need to be specific as to which cards you think are problematic.

Honestly the "problem" is the hero power that puts you on a clock even if you stabilize the board. But they're not going to change that so pucker up.

Honestly the "problem" is the hero power that puts you on a clock even if you stabilize the board. But they're not going to change that so pucker up.

That is what healbot and ERF are designed for though.

As much as I despise playing face hunter, and I do, it isn't because they are too good or anything like that.

Tacitus_

As much as I despise playing face hunter, and I do, it isn't because they are too good or anything like that.

Yeah, but they just put extra time on the clock, not stop it. They'll be ticking your HP down by 2 every turn and only a priest or a warrior can counter it.

Yeah, but they just put extra time on the clock, not stop it. They'll be ticking your HP down by 2 every turn and only a priest or a warrior can counter it.

Imagine that, you have to kill your opponent to win. Every class has an effective way to put someone on a clock to force you to do something before something leads to a loss.

Bizazedo

Danke.

I don't feel Face Hunter is OP, just feels like it's the most lopsided of any deck versus certain types of decks.

Which is okay, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom