• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danke.

I don't feel Face Hunter is OP, just feels like it's the most lopsided of any deck versus certain types of decks.

Which is okay, I suppose.

I think that is true for a number of decks. Like warrior vs rogue generally really favors warrior, but druid vs warrior really favors druid. It's a dog eat dog game.

Milennia

This game loves giving me illidan -.- last 2 times I have been in bed and just felt like opening 2 packs, illidan...

Dustidan stormrage

They aren't going to nerf their GvG moneymaker, when the next expansion comes out and we get a new dr balanced, then maybe.

That's actually a really good point. They can hold off nerfing him so people spend money on GvG to get him. Then when people have already spent their money, they'll "refund" them the dust cost of Dr. Boom -- all while keeping the mountains of money earned from people buying GvG packs.

... damn it, now I'm feeling super-cynical about this game. =/

Tacitus_

Imagine that, you have to kill your opponent to win. Every class has an effective way to put someone on a clock to force you to do something before something leads to a loss.

Spare me the snark. Generally said clock requires you to interact with the board somehow. Hunters (and to a lesser extent mages) can do this just by existing and pinging the face with their hero power. You can be all taunted up and above skill command range, but in a turn or two, you're not anymore.

Not that I'm complaining that the deck exists. You can neuter the deck by having good early game.

Danke.

I don't feel Face Hunter is OP, just feels like it's the most lopsided of any deck versus certain types of decks.

Which is okay, I suppose.

I don't think it's OP, I just think it's not fun to play against.

Like, Mill Rogue, Handlock, Freeze Mage etc. feel like puzzles you need to solve when facing them. I guess Face Hunter is too, but it's just not fun to solve.

I really don't get this shit sometimes... I play 13-14 spells in rogue and I get 10/14 of those spells in first 14 cards. There is nothing more frustrating playing rogue and not getting minions even though you are playing a heavier minion based rogue deck...

Maybe I am just remembering all the bad times and not the good times. But even when I run as little as 12 spells in rogue, I seem to often get all of the spells and no minions to put out real pressure, which is one of the reasons I love dark iron skulker, it allows me to run a few less spells and still deal with or flip board states.

But the minute I put 2 blade flurries in the deck instead of one to deal with grim patron spam... I get both blade flurries and against a deck where the second blade flurry is almost never relevant... with a total of like 3 minions drawn by turn 8.
sick.gif

Bizazedo

I don't think it's OP, I just think it's not fun to play against.

Like, Mill Rogue, Handlock, Freeze Mage etc. feel like puzzles you need to solve when facing them. I guess Face Hunter is too, but it's just not fun to solve.

Yeah. It always feels like I have a faint chance in other match ups, with this it's like....well, guess I picked the wrong deck this time.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Honestly the "problem" is the hero power that puts you on a clock even if you stabilize the board. But they're not going to change that so pucker up.

I remember the days when people said the warlock hero power was a huge problem and made warlock impossible to balance.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I remember the days when people said the warlock hero power was a huge problem and made warlock impossible to balance.

To be fair, if the game becomes more controlish in the future, warlock hero power will become OP again.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
i'm practicing face hunter for the first time

any guide out there?

Parshias7

i'm practicing face hunter for the first time

any guide out there?

Take all of the skills and value you've learned playing other decks and throw it out the window. If you trade, you probably lose.

Played Grim Patron Warrior today for a Daily. That deck is so much fun, you guys.

Yoshichan

I just started playing face hunter, literally 20 minutes ago, and this is what I get:

KFDg9Gt.jpg

inky

Played Grim Patron Warrior today for a Daily. That deck is so much fun, you guys.

It is. And it makes you think of new ways to approach encounters. Obviously you want everyone to get in here, as it is your win condition, but the deck(s) have so many other tricks that are fun to pull.

I only had a small warrior quest, but I ended up playing like 6 more matches after that.

Yoshichan

I posted a link to one earlier in the thread in a response to where you asked about face hunter.

Probably. But sometimes the best play is actually trading.
Just saw it! Thanks a bunch man!

Yoshichan

As a face hunter vs another face hunter... what do I do against explosive trap :(?

edit: uh, I guess my face hunter opponent just decided to leave. what the heck is even going on here :lol

Dahbomb

As a face hunter vs another face hunter... what do I do against explosive trap :(?
You tech in a Kezan Mystic.

Real answer is that you don't commit to the board too hard in case they play a Mad Scientist. Just sacrifice one minion to Exploding Trap and start from there.

Yoshichan

You tech in a Kezan Mystic.

Real answer is that you don't commit to the board too hard in case they play a Mad Scientist. Just sacrifice one minion to Exploding Trap and start from there.
So there IS strategy involved!

See, I knew it!

inky

Is there like a flow chart yet? I think there should be.

Like, the only reason you don't go face is if you don't have lethal and you might die next turn and if that's the case, just emote some shit, concede already and face the next guy. (You probably top decked lethal anyway).

Use hero power every turn. Don't over-commit your minions (using hero power every turn is part of this).

That's pretty much it.

Dahbomb

I'm not sure if you know what strategy means...just because it might be obvious doesn't give the word new meaning.
That's more like a tactic than a strategy.

Strategy is "I am going to go face this whole game unless there's another situation where it's favorable to not go face". It's an overarching theme to your play.

Tactic is what you do on a moment to moment basis (maybe trade if it's like a Knife Juggler/Flame Waker) that support your strategy.

Tacitus_

Is there like a flow chart yet? I think there should be.

Like, the only reason you don't go face is if you don't have lethal and you might die next turn and if that's the case, just emote some shit, concede already and face the next guy. (You probably top decked lethal anyway).

Use hero power every turn. Don't over-commit your minions (using hero power every turn is part of this).

That's pretty much it.

I'd add the occasional trading. If you can protect something important without losing that much face damage like juggler or huffer by saccing a single 1-2 attack minion, that can be worth it. The other occasion is if you coin two 1 drops and they put out a chow and you have a glaivezooka you can sac one of them to snowball the board, or opposing jugglers since you play only 1-2 hp minions.

Dahbomb

The way I play Face Hunter is that I use the weapons to protect my on board minions. That and Quick Shot (sometimes if its like Mech Warper). This way I don't get overrun by their board or let them establish something. The minions are almost always going to the face unless there's some really dangerous minion on their side like Knife Juggler or Flamewaker which can wipe my board.

Yoshichan

B-b-b-but 6 damage face from weapon :(

Dahbomb

B-b-b-but 6 damage face from weapon :(
6 damage for face doesn't compare to repetitive damage with your minion that you could do (like having your Huffer survive one extra turn could win you the game by itself). I am not saying always use weapons on their minions but if they got a Mech Warper up then you gotta use that Eaglehorn on it or Quickshot. Because if they get out double Annoyotrons and that into Goblin Blastmage the game is over.

Yoshichan

I just remembered something

what happened to the 1v1 duel during the beta? between me and dahbomb

remember that dahbomb?! we were arguing something back then (as usual, although we haven't argued with each other in a long time now), and then you challenged me... what happened to that?!

Yoshichan

I never challenged you to a duel LMAO!

And no point in challenging either, you are EU and I am NA.

THIS IS WHERE YOU ARE WRONG I REMEMBER IT 100%

Basic decks imo! And it needs to be streamed. With unbiased commentary. I'll bring my bros, you bring yours.

Dahbomb

I honestly don't remember challenging you to a duel but if you want to duel I am game.

I do have an EU account already. All basic deck? I am game.

Let me get my classes to lvl10 though.

Yoshichan

I honestly don't remember challenging you to a duel but if you want to duel I am game.

I do have an EU account already. All basic deck? I am game.

Let me get my classes to lvl10 though.
ok no rush! I can this weekend, if that's cool :D

Bizazedo

I've been told that flamewaker decks, especially aggressive ones, beat hunter pretty hard. I haven't played it myself yet though.

Mine's not aggressive enough, obviously, but it does beat other flamewaker decks. Meh.

Got pissed so I made a Mage deck with a ton of charge creatures + Duplicate + Iceblock. Just killed a Priest with 3 Leeroy Jenkins and an Arcane Golem due to it.

KePoW

Banned

You just have to eat it with as few of your minions as possible. So the best thing to do is kill off as many of your opponent's minions first before activating his Exploding Trap

KePoW

Banned
I'd add the occasional trading. If you can protect something important without losing that much face damage like juggler or huffer by saccing a single 1-2 attack minion, that can be worth it. The other occasion is if you coin two 1 drops and they put out a chow and you have a glaivezooka you can sac one of them to snowball the board, or opposing jugglers since you play only 1-2 hp minions.

The way I play Face Hunter is that I use the weapons to protect my on board minions. That and Quick Shot (sometimes if its like Mech Warper). This way I don't get overrun by their board or let them establish something. The minions are almost always going to the face unless there's some really dangerous minion on their side like Knife Juggler or Flamewaker which can wipe my board.

Yeah there is actually some experience involved as a Face Hunter in deciding when to kill enemy minions. I would say maybe 10% to 15% of the time you need to do so

But there's no hard and fast rule, it just depends on feel & experience in playing lots of games as FH. (obviously one hypothetical example would be if the enemy has a 4/1 or 5/1 minion early in the game or something like that)

Ddon't get me wrong though, I still fully admit it takes the least amount of skill to play. There's just *some* amount involved

Yoshichan

what required more skill, face hunter today or zoo lock back in the days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom