• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Huh, Mass Dispel? That's interesting, has that been working out?

But yeah, Dragon stuff seems hard to make. My dragon pally list right now looks like this:

nfrmllB.png

It also can feel clunky, I got up to rank 14 pretty easily before stopping, but lol at most aggro matchups unless I draw really well. The 5 drops feel super clogged and it's hard for me to get a low curve, but I've iterated it a couple times. Used to have double azure drake, double chow, and double muster but I took some of that out for solemn, argus, and corrupter. Still dunno how I feel about it so far.

Dahbomb

You don't have enough Dragons to activate your stuff. You need at least 6-7 dragons.

You definitely want to take out those two Acolytes, I would put in two Volcanic Drakes instead.

I would honestly take out both Chromaggus and Ysera for Onyxia and another Muster for Battle. That way you have more ways to get huge tempo swings with multiple Vigils and Drakes.

Now THIS is what I am talking about son!

Hearthstone_Screenshot_05_03_15_13_02_08.png

Hearthstone_Screenshot_05_03_15_13_02_40.png

Solemn Vigil AND Drake played for free and then DoA drawn from the Vigil to buff up both of the Drakes on the same turn! The tempo plays can get absurd!

You don't have enough Dragons to activate your stuff. You need at least 6-7 dragons.

You definitely want to take out those two Acolytes, I would put in two Volcanic Drakes instead.

I would honestly take out both Chromaggus and Ysera for Onyxia and another Muster for Battle. That way you have more ways to get huge tempo swings with multiple Vigils and Drakes.

Onyxia sounds terrible. If you're going that far out of your way to activate solemn vigil (or volcanic drakes, which aren't in his deck), there is a fix for that. Go to your collection, mouse over the deck name, mouse to the upper right, find the delete button and hit it, the harder the better.
C6mHztl.gif

I do agree that maybe 2 more dragons are needed. I recommend hungry dragon, but I haven't ran it in paladin yet. It is amazing in rogue though.

Papercuts

Oh right, nice call of Volcanic Drake, I can try that.

I don't have Onyxia so I basically just threw in those two as the only real big dragons I have. I also have Malygos but I don't think he really does much for this type of deck. But yeah, if I put in the Drakes I'll do another muster since I already see how crazy that is with vigil. I atleast like the 8 and 9 cost for the dragons as the synergy with Consort can amazing.

Huh, Mass Dispel? That's interesting, has that been working out?

Just like anything else, it can be great in the right situation. I mainly use it because I think it's a cool card, no one ever expects it, and it has slight synergy with Chromaggus. That being said, Lightbomb is pretty much the same thing, but better. I think it would shine more if Priests had a more efficient charge minion combo. I might eventually take it out if something else feels a lot better in it's place.

Dahbomb

Onyxia sounds terrible. If you're going that far out of your way to activate solemn vigil (or volcanic drakes, which aren't in his deck), there is a fix for that. Go to your collection, mouse over the deck name, mouse to the upper right, find the delete button and hit it, the harder the better.
C6mHztl.gif

I do agree that maybe 2 more dragons are needed. I recommend hungry dragon, but I haven't ran it in paladin yet. It is amazing in rogue though.
Hungry Dragon is booty butt cheeks in Paladin.

Volcanic Drake and Vigil are godlike. It's SO easy to get them activated for free with Muster for Battle or with random dudes on the field with you trading all the time or with Consecrates or Equality. With so much Zoo crap running on Ladder it's not that hard to get free Vigils into ANOTHER FREE Vigil into double Volcanic Drakes. Some decks can't do anything about that and you can win the game off of that play.

You don't need Onyxia in the deck. I don't have Onyxia in the deck, just double Muster and it does work. I don't have any late game dragons in the deck, it's all a Tempo based deck. However, I would argue that Onyxia would be pretty decent in a double Vigil double Drake deck though in my experience most games are over before I get to that late stage (either I win or they win). Chromaggus is the most usable late game dragon because he dodges BGH and he comes directly after Dragon Consort so if I had to keep one of them I would keep Chromaggus.

I feel a little bit bad for this guy, but I would have probably won anyway...

He has a 6/7 with taunt on the board, 9 health. I have a 7/7 lightspawn and a 2/1 owl on board, 5 mana, 21 health. I kill his taunt with my lightspawn, then cast thoughtsteal. It gives me two copies of Power Overwhelming.

"My apologies"

Fixed1979

Hey all - Fixed1979's NeoGAF Hearthstone Tournament wrapped up a couple days ago and I was given the honor of recording the final best of five. Here's the YouTube link!

The more I listen to my self commentate, the more I realize I really need to improve. Also, reduce the amount of times I say "uh."

It's not a GAF YouTube video without an Amirox sucks comment. Good playing by everyone, the second half of the season should be great.

The best is when a hunter commits everything to face, and then dies next turn because he didn't clear the board

I've been holding these cards for while, bro

Hungry Dragon is booty butt cheeks in Paladin.

Volcanic Drake and Vigil are godlike. It's SO easy to get them activated for free with Muster for Battle or with random dudes on the field with you trading all the time or with Consecrates or Equality. With so much Zoo crap running on Ladder it's not that hard to get free Vigils into ANOTHER FREE Vigil into double Volcanic Drakes. Some decks can't do anything about that and you can win the game off of that play.

You don't need Onyxia in the deck. I don't have Onyxia in the deck, just double Muster and it does work. I don't have any late game dragons in the deck, it's all a Tempo based deck. However, I would argue that Onyxia would be pretty decent in a double Vigil double Drake deck though in my experience most games are over before I get to that late stage (either I win or they win). Chromaggus is the most usable late game dragon because he dodges BGH and he comes directly after Dragon Consort so if I had to keep one of them I would keep Chromaggus.

I'm not saying they (volcanic drake + solemn vigil) are bad cards. I am saying onyxia is. You're dreaming if you think you can reliably get onyxia's whelps to survive a round, and if they did you most likely have already won and have no interest in trading.

fuck you Healbot

that and every other deck has Dr Boom and im fucking stuck here with a cheapass deck at rank 19...

Face hunter? :p

The way to beat healbot is to put out more renewable damage rather than damage that is only going to get value once. If not face hunter, you should worry more about board control and value and less about going for lethal.

2x Blackwing Corrupter should be in every dragon deck. I would replace a dragon Consort with Corrupter. It is the only reason to run dragons. Blackwing Technician is only marginally better than Spider Tank - a card ran in a whopping two decks. Volcanic Drake needs setting up to use and be valuable, Hungry Dragon is very ok in everything except Rogue until you play it off curve and realize it's awful... Unless you are a rogue, Twilight Whelp is only marginally better than Zombie Chow unless you run it with Zombie Chow so it can double as an activator, Dragonkin Sorcerer is okay but nothing special (maybe in Priest and I've had some success with it in Burst Shaman), Rend is bad unless you live in some non-Aggro fantasy land, and most of the huge Dragons are fairly lackluster with the exception of Ysera, Alexstrsza, and maybe Nefarian. Chrommagus just doesn't have enough impact.

My 2 cents.

Dahbomb

Hey man if you ramp out an Onyxia with Dragon Consort it's basically a better Dr Balanced! Instead of a 7/7 with two death rattle 1/1s you get a 8/8 with a whole board of 1/1!

Not really which just goes to show how stupidly powerful Dr Balanced is.

Daigoro

I'm not saying they (volcanic drake + solemn vigil) are bad cards. I am saying onyxia is. You're dreaming if you think you can reliably get onyxia's whelps to survive a round, and if they did you most likely have already won and have no interest in trading.

Face hunter? :p

The way to beat healbot is to put out more renewable damage rather than damage that is only going to get value once. If not face hunter, you should worry more about board control and value and less about going for lethal.

nah, midrange hunter and paladin. just got healbot a few times in a row and it halted me in my tracks combined with some other shit and i got pissy. sometimes i can deal with it, sometimes it can end the game for me. believe me, im all about board control, sometimes it just doesnt work out due to misplays or bad draws.

same thing with Dr. Boom i guess, but that swing can be even bigger. id be less pissy about every fucking deck in the low shit ranks having Dr Boom if i had access to a copy as well im sure.

Ferrio

Banned
I just had the stupidest random luck that saved me from a loss.

First my webspinner grabs me a King Krush which lead to my eventual win.
Then midgame when he had 3 buffed minions to my 0, his Piloted Shredder deathrattled into a Doomsayer.

Daigoro

I just had the stupidest random luck that saved me from a loss.

First my webspinner grabs me a King Krush which lead to my eventual win.
Then midgame when he had 3 buffed minions to my 0, his Piloted Shredder deathrattled into a Doomsayer.

that's a hell of a combo of dethrattle rewards.

Maximo

Does Blizzard do nothing but 40g Quests now ? i swear the last week has been nothing but them straight. Blizzard pls I need more gold.

Papercuts

After I saw the double unstable portal to king crush and faceless manipulator for lethal vs Ek0p I think ive seen everything already.

Nothing will ever surpass the one that happened to Forsen to me. Voidcaller from unstable portal into a mal'ganis from unstable portal, it pulling any demon for synergy was pretty crazy, but the whole thing was just perfect. I wish I could find the clip again.

IceMarker

Does Blizzard do nothing but 40g Quests now ? i swear the last week has been nothing but them straight. Blizzard pls I need more gold.

I agree with Kripp in that they just need to take a look at the reward system, because it is simply too slow now for the amount of cards in the game.

Dragner

Nothing will ever surpass the one that happened to Forsen to me. Voidcaller from unstable portal into a mal'ganis from unstable portal, it pulling any demon for synergy was pretty crazy, but the whole thing was just perfect. I wish I could find the clip again.

The Mal'Ganis + Master of Disguise from Amaz was pretty disgusting too.

Maximo

I agree with Kripp in that they just need to take a look at the reward system, because it is simply too slow now for the amount of cards in the game.

Yeah definitely Noxius also did a great Video about Ranked and the more Rewards for people to do Ranked.
Also sometimes I feel bad doing Face Hunter for quick gold..and other times im really not.

More cards... sure but you don't need but a small fraction to make a deck and even serveral decks. Many decks even have overlapping cards.

It really is not much harder now to make strong decks than earlier since after all the additions, you still only need 30 cats for a deck. Even with the adventures requiring gold, I think it is about the same difficulty. This said by someone who has earned 99% of their collection.

Dragner

Yeah definitely Noxius also did a great Video about Ranked and the more Rewards for people to do Ranked.
Also sometimes I feel bad doing Face Hunter for quick gold..and other times im really not.

My gf has been playing for a month and a half, and with his basic gold + the expansions has build a stock tempo mage, a stock face funter, and a warlock midrange deck (she pulled Mal'ganis from a pack), she is missing some gold to build staples like boom, sylvanas,...but that will come with time. And she has a lot of nice cards like 2x stone giant, force of nature, almost a full oil rogue deck(missing only preps),...And that in a month of play...Just grinding one pack a day and doing 2 arenas with the extra gold. Building a deck to ladder is possible to any player, what its hard is having the cardpool to switch or adapt to the metagame easily, but that not that huge of a problem for new players.

Danj

I still think the ranked matchmaking needs improving based on what cards the players are using. IMO it's totally unfair to match a noob like me against some dude with Emperor Thaurissian and Dr. Boom and whatnot in his deck.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I still think the ranked matchmaking needs improving based on what cards the players are using. IMO it's totally unfair to match a noob like me against some dude with Emperor Thaurissian and Dr. Boom and whatnot in his deck.

More cards does not make for better decks in and of themselves.

Face Hunter, Patron Warrior and Zoo have extremely low costs to create, and are easily in the top 5 -10 decks right now.

Face Hunter, Patron Warrior and Zoo have extremely low costs to create, and are easily in the top 5 -10 decks right now.

Yeah, I can't even imagine how such a system would work when a deck like zoo can run many commons and rares to such great affect and high winrate. There is just literally no comprehensive way to judge how strong a deck is, even if you catalogued all the cards somehow because decks are not made up of individual card strength but how those cards interact with each other.

IMO, it is quite literally impossible to match make based on cards being used, let alone rarity which has zero correlation to card strength. I often defend kidnapper as being better than people suspect, but still you could literally not run bad epics because that would somehow influence your match making because it is an epic and yet it is worse than many rares and commons.

Heropon

4-3 with Hunter in Arena. I was extremely disappointed when I had to choose him but I've done better with it than I thought, as I was expecting 1-3. The pack was terrible and the only thing saving it was a second Healbot. Still no annoy-o-trons or Shredders.

My most hated classes in Arena to go against are Mage, Paladin and Priest, as always.

Dragner

Patron Warrior is on top of the power rankings on LiquidHearth and TempoStorm, Patron and Zoo are probably the best decks right now, Patron only have one optional legendary in Grommash, Zoo can play Silvanas and Boom but are not staples of the archetype. Th new player can play competitive decks for lil price, thats for sure.

Danj

So a noob can't run ET or dr. boom?

Sure they can, if they have the money to buy BRM and enough cards to dust to create Dr. Boom.

This thread has taught me that when someone says "low cost" they mean "four figures".

What I mean is there ought to be some sort of weighting calculation done during the matchmaking, to assess the cards in each player's deck, so that people can be more evenly matched.

Awesome, turn 4 gahzrilla from mage. And he even gets counterspell off of mad scientist. Niice amount of rng going on there.

Sure they can, if they have the money to buy BRM and enough cards to dust to create Dr. Boom.

It was rhetorical, to point out a flaw in your reasoning. Just because they have dr. boom, doesn't mean they aren't on your skill level.

late-edit:
Also, you bring up low cost = four figures. That really doesn't mean anything, since 30 cards of all commons = 1200 dust, since each common costs 40, then x30. Generally, some of those will be basics and thus 0 dust. Even top tier decks use some basics too.

On the other hand, some might see 9000 dust as not that expensive. It really depends on the person. 9k is not incredibly high, nor is it low. Not every deck hits that though and aren't necessarily better because of that.

Dahbomb

People would just game that system by playing Zoo and be paired up against other low cost decks.

Parshias7

I had been thinking for a while of ways Blizzard could improve the experience for new players, and here are some of the things I came up with:

-A third mode along side Ranked and Casual, Basic Mode. This mode would only allow decks with Basic Cards to be used. If MtG can have multiple formats, why can't Hearthstone?

-Add rewards other than stars to ranks at the end of the season. At the moment, there are two tiers of Ranked rewards: get to Rank 20 and get the card back, or get to Legend and... play in Legend. There is nothing in between. Plenty of times I have gotten to Rank 17 or so and then just stopped playing because there's no way I'll be able to get to Legend without playing for a ton of extra time and there's no real reward for me getting to Rank 11 rather than just sitting where I am. Throw in gold, dust, and card pack rewards for finishing a month at higher ranks and more people will play Ranked mode and newer players can build up their card stock more quickly.

-Expand the Basic set. This was something I thought Blizzard would eventually have to do, although I don't think now is the time to do so. Pick a mix of cards from the Classic set and move them to the Basic set. Not everything, but you could still move over some good stuff like Harvest Golem, Wrath, maybe even super useful Legendaries like Sylvanas. Players who already have these cards from packs could either get the full dust cost out of the cards, get gold versions for free, or maybe come up with some new visual effect to distinguish that these cards came from packs, kinda like the "Vintage" weapons in TF2.

that-was-close-o.gif

Woah, close call... I actually almost lost to some idiot running cobra shot in his face hunter deck.

I managed to find my only out in the form of fan of knives to get healbot while sitting at 2 hp (him having a trap too).

But to be fair, it was the idiots fault for playing the way he did, including the shitty cards he did, to give me the chance to recover. He went all in on that move when he did not actually have to because I wasn't even close to killing him. He used kill command when it wasn't even necessary, without the beast buff, on face of course.

I'm playing as Midrange Hunter around rank 10. Ran into a Druid - beat him. Faced him again right after and he beat me. He was running what felt like a Face Druid deck... The cards I saw that I remember:

Echoing Ooze
Nerubian Egg
Dragon Egg
Mark of the Wild
Swipe
Force of Nature
Savage Roar
Dark Wispers
Shade of Naxxramas
Keeper of the Grove
Power of the Wild
Haunted Cteeper

Anyway, he basically would buff up his various sticky minions and would basically just go face except when there were times that he needed or could make an efficient trade. His whole premise was to get little minions on the board, then do Savage Roar/Power of the Wild combos and go face. Kind of interesting.

greepoman

What is it with face hunters who will still go face even when you have lethal on board lol? Had like 3 matches today where they could've still won if they had just traded.

I'm playing as Midrange Hunter around rank 10. Ran into a Druid - beat him. Faced him again right after and he beat me. He was running what felt like a Face Druid deck... The cards I saw that I remember:

Echoing Ooze
Nerubian Egg
Dragon Egg
Mark of the Wild
Swipe
Force of Nature
Savage Roar
Dark Wispers
Shade of Naxxramas
Keeper of the Grove
Power of the Wild
Haunted Cteeper

Anyway, he basically would buff up his various sticky minions and would basically just go face except when there were times that he needed or could make an efficient trade. His whole premise was to get little minions on the board, then do Savage Roar/Power of the Wild combos and go face. Kind of interesting.

token/fast druid

It isn't a face deck. It is also pretty good against hunter, even when midrange hunter had 2 mana buzzard and 2 mana UTH, it was a deck that could beat midrange hunter. It was pretty popular around the miracle rogue, midrange hunter era. Miracle rogue was being played to counter midrange hunter, basically making its best combo weak or entirely useless, and druid did well against both of them, and warrior as well. And it was also pretty good against zoo as well.

token druid fell out of popularity because of sludge belcher though.

Spuck-uk

Banned
What I mean is there ought to be some sort of weighting calculation done during the matchmaking, to assess the cards in each player's deck, so that people can be more evenly matched.

If they implemented that you'd get to complain about only ever seeing Zoo decks and Face Hunter ever.

Again, there's nothing 'uneven' about higher rarity cards, they just let you build different kinds of deck

I mean, look at Far Sight, Kidnapper for awful shitty class epics compared to Fiery War Axe and Fire elemental.

Or Hemet Nesingwray Millhouse Manastorm or any of the other dozen truly garbage legendaries.

Spuck-uk

Banned
What is it with face hunters who will still go face even when you have lethal on board lol? Had like 3 matches today where they could've still won if they had just traded.

A lot of people using face hunter are shitty players who've latched onto the easiest deck to win with (Not that I think its OP in the current meta)

Sblargh

Banned
Neogaf never has friends for me. I always have to end up watching Kepow. Q_Q

Everyone too afraid to let me see them hunt face. I won't judge.

I'm SuperNothing#1241 on NA, but I'm at work now, too. I don't have spectating enabled by default, but send me a message if you need to do the quest and I'll turn it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom