• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZMitch

Oh man I just witnessed one of the funniest plays I have seen in Arena. I had a Shadowboxer and Zombie Chow on board and my opponent had a Scarlet Crusader. He ran his Crusader into my Chow, which healed his hero. The Shadowboxer ping then killed the Crusader!

"Not quite what was planned"

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
CEM-wECUsAAOnHl.png

༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ EVERYONE, GET IN HERE! ༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽

Raxus

Anyone feel like BRM has been kind of a bust? Maybe a little soon for a meta shift but just don't see the dragons as much as mechs. I guess class cards are seeing decent play, but in general it doesn't feel like much has changed. Doesn't help that emperor can make existing decks even better.
Far from it. The new cards did wonders for the arena meta IMO. Constructed it really didn't shifty the meta much aside from bringing back freeze mage until Emperor is inevitably merged.

30 free packs for everyone!

Ha i would settle for 3.

Now i really do hope they start expanding the game beyond just adding cards a year after launch its still very basic, they should have really given us more deck slots for one. I would also love to see ranked arena without the rewards and the entry fee.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Manastorm seemed useless to me and pretty dangerous to run except when u play him when the opponent has only one card left or to draw out spell cards.

Dusted him last night lol.

If you play him later on, being a 4/4 for 2 doesn't matter as much and still has the super negative effect tied to it. He's probably even worse now with stuff like Shredder all over the place.

I am half tempted to throw him into a deck though. But I know that's a terrible idea.

Hektor

If you play him later on, being a 4/4 for 2 doesn't matter as much and still has the super negative effect tied to it. He's probably even worse now with stuff like Shredder all over the place.

Piloted Shredder is the card that made him actually useful.
As a shredder deathrattle

Spl1nter

Decided to try grim patron warrior. Four games in a row I have not gotten patron in my first 20 cards. I have been having some horrible rng lately.

Rapstah

Ratsmah signs to tempostorm. I wonder if it's just a streaming thing or if he's going to start competing.

I hate that guy's name because I always read it as "Rapstah" the first ten times and it confuses me a lot.

He's been uploading arena runs to the Tempostorm Youtube channel for months. I thought he was on that team already.

ultron87

I got a new iPad and played a ton of this last night. The frame rate was amazing compared to my old iPad 3. Then I immediately went to bed and had a bad Hearthstone dream I guess? It was turn 3, the opponent had some 5/5 Goblin Sword Wielder thing that doesn't exist and my Fireballs and Polymorphs seemed to permanently cost 9. These effects confused and frustrated my dream self, but not enough to make me realize it was a dream.

Maybe I will lay off it a bit tonight.

Rapstah

I got a new iPad and played a ton of this last night. The frame rate was amazing compared to my old iPad 3. Then I immediately went to bed and had a bad Hearthstone dream I guess? It was turn 3, the opponent had some 5/5 Goblin Sword Wielder thing that doesn't exist and my Fireballs and Polymorphs seemed to permanently cost 9. These effects confused and frustrated my dream self, but not enough to make me realize it was a dream.

Dude, that's a real card. I don't think that was a dream.

96af9b17.png

Okay, I lied, it's not a real card.

ViviOggi

Dude, that's a real card. I don't think that was a dream.

96af9b17.png

Okay, I lied, it's not a real card.
lmao

Ocho

Decided to try grim patron warrior. Four games in a row I have not gotten patron in my first 20 cards. I have been having some horrible rng lately.

That's what you get for copying me. Impressed by my combos, huh? That play man, I'll never forget.

WAAAAAAAAAA!!! GOLDEN CARROT!!!

GQr6h8D.jpg

You can also get a boot.

I'm convinced that HS keeps track of which board you interact with the most, and then gives you that board more often. I like to keep regrowing the crops until I have 3 different ones, so that board gets a lot of clicks from me. So does the gnomish rocket ship. The rest, not nearly as many. I can't tell you how long it's been since I've had the Stormwind or Naxramas board. I just saw Stranglethorn board for the first time in what seems like weeks when I played at lunch.

Dahbomb

I like the idea of getting big rewards from holding a big dragon in hand but that particular card is not that good. Stats are terrible for a 4 drop even if you could get like 9 armor. It's just a far less reliable Healbot.

Haunted

Didn't see this posted so sorry in advance if it already was but I found this to be really interesting.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/89360/how-a-hearthstone-heroes-of-warcraft-card-is-made

Talks a lot about the design process for cards. Also shows a pretty interesting iteration of Blackwing Technician.
Savagery is back, baby!

Some interesting bits in that interview, particularly the focus on getting information about the opponent's deck, as well as the concept of bluffing in Hearthstone. Cool to see that they're aware and thinking about these meta concepts and how to exploit/incorporate them into game balance.

Boba2007

Just had the most stupid and frustrating arena. I was playing Mage and had 1 Flamestrikes. Got to 6 wins and then the stupidity started happening.

First loss: I only drew one Flamestrike in the first half of the game while my opponent got THREE Flamestrikes.

Second loss: I drew no Flamestrikes against a Warlock with a full board.

Third loss: Again, drew no Flamestrikes while the opponent did. Got down to ~12 cards too.

All three losses happened in a row. I guess the game really doesn't want me to win.

Edit: Also had two fireballs and very rarely drew them. I was basically playing a Mage with no spells even though they were in the deck.

Drafted a Priest arena deck that I thought was terrible and would be lucky to get 3 wins yet here I am sitting at 6-0.

Sadly this is where you run into the gauntlet of Mages.

JesseZao

He enters with a whirlwind and exits with an axe throw.

Causes an earthquake animation.

I was thinking about to make a card that would simulate a collapsing arena. I originally had it as a warrior spell that would deal board damage and then reduce the number of minions allowed in play by playing permanent rubble on the board. It's probably a bit too complicated to implement, so the shaman weapon has a similar theme.

I've seen it a few times, but a cool Warrior Legendary would have card effect "All minions are considered damaged" to execute at full health and battle rage triggers on everything

Maybe add another card that synergized with it

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I played Millhouse against a hunter and got him a free trap, misha, and kill command to the face.

and I somehow still won. The power of THRILLHOUSE

squidyj

So I'm trying out a paladin zoo and it's been interesting, far more successful than I would have guessed but I'm still in the teens so that's not really indicating anything.

Well that Priest deck I thought was shit turned into my first 12 wins so that shows how much I know. All I will say is that dragon synergy is absolutely ridiculous in arena. All the dragon and dragon synergy cards I drafted put in a ton of work.

Cards not shown in the image are:

Bomb Lobber
Faceless Manipulator
Fen Creeper
Spectral Knight
Volcanic Drake
Drakanoid Crusher
Mind Control (x2)

ZZMitch

Well that Priest deck I thought was shit turned into my first 12 wins so that shows how much I know. All I will say is that dragon synergy is absolutely ridiculous in arena. All the dragon and dragon synergy cards I drafted put in a ton of work.

Cards not shown in the image are:

Bomb Lobber
Faceless Manipulator
Fen Creeper
Volcanic Drake
Drakanoid Crusher
Mind Control (x2)

That deck is insane heh. Dunno how you could think it is shit :p

That deck is insane heh. Dunno how you could think it is shit :p

Honestly I thought going for the dragon synergy was going to really make the deck falter. That and a lack of 4 drops. I honestly expected to be holding stuff like Blackwing Technician and Corruptor just waiting to draw into a dragon but it never really played out like that. Was also worried I wouldn't have big enough threats in the late game but it never became an issue.

Hey all - Fixed1979's NeoGAF Hearthstone Tournament wrapped up a couple days ago and I was given the honor of recording the final best of five. Here's the YouTube link!

The more I listen to my self commentate, the more I realize I really need to improve. Also, reduce the amount of times I say "uh."

I am doing much better in arena now I am building less by value charts and more with synergy in mind.

I think that is the best approach as well. I've always warned people that the charts are largely evaluations done in a vacuum and thus only really relevant at the start of a draft and increasingly less so as the draft goes on.

96af9b17.png

If this was a card it would be more like +1 mana cost... maybe +2 tops. With 3/3 stats of course.

I was doing a Mage daily with a Flamewaker deck when I ran out of stream against a Paladin. He was low on cards too because I Counter Spelled his Lay On Hands, but he had board control and I was top-dicking. I pulled an Unstable Portal, and then this happened:

3KkaA0Zl.jpg

Mother fucking Deathwing. He top-dicked an Equality, but that doesn't do shit on its own. Of course the next card I pull is Fireball for lethal.

LiveWire

Hey all - Fixed1979's NeoGAF Hearthstone Tournament wrapped up a couple days ago and I was given the honor of recording the final best of five. Here's the YouTube link!

The more I listen to my self commentate, the more I realize I really need to improve. Also, reduce the amount of times I say "uh."

I think you did a great job considering you had to start immediately commentating after joining our matches.

It would be nice if Blizz included a DOTA-style commentating/tournament mode where there was more time for the caster to analyze pre-game.

In any case, great work and thank you for recording for us! :)

Current deck I'm running for now;

It's been doing alright for the most part. Was doing well and made it to 15 real quick, then another day fell down to 20, so might of been a fluke. Latest change was switching Emperor Thaurissan and one Dragon Sorcerer for another Holy Fire and Holy Nova since they both help with different type decks(Control / Aggro). Sorcerer can be good, even game winning, but it's too situational and I think running both Light of the Naaru is the only thing that'd make both worth it I feel. I still run it since I don't think there's a better low cost dragon. Twilight Drake isn't good since I'm normally using any minion I can early game. Emperor is cool, but since I lack draw most games, and I don't have a high damage combo, so I don't see a reason to run him anymore.

The one thing I'm feeling about it right now is that, I wonder if I should get rid of all the late game guys for slightly lower curve. Things can work out great when I curve out but even on curve stuff just feels clunky to me. Might just be how it works though. Going to keep tweaking stuff out for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom