• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

I'm on a 10 loss streak with several net decks. Is there an anger management class I can go to? because I literally want to punch everyone in the jaw including myself.

iWhyKw4.gif
Stop netdecking.

Since you just copied the cards, there's no sense of ownership of the decks. There's no sense of pride or fulfilment when winning a game. There's no possibility to adjust the decks after losing, because someone else already "perfectly optimised" them and it's not much fun tampering with someone else's deck anyway.

Honestly, losing with your own decks is much more fun. :D

Haunted

Man I've got like 9.3k dust and I don't want to spend any of it, lol

I feel like I've got most of the key legendaries and everything else is pretty much optional or not even used. Crafting gold cards feels like a bit of a waste, even if I do like shiny things.
clearly, dust gifting needs to be a thing

I have 145 dust. ;_;

bunbun777

They really need to give us more deck slots for each class. Pulled a gold Jaraxxus and had to get rid of my druid and rogue spots for patron warrior and new demonlock decks, which are both really fun.

They really need to give us more deck slots for each class. Pulled a gold Jaraxxus and had to get rid of my druid and rogue spots for patron warrior and new demonlock decks, which are both really fun.

Honestly what's taking them so long with this? It's like the most requested feature. I can't be the only one who feels that the client feels so barebones.

The lack of deck slots is especially annoying right after new card releases and during new campaigns. It's a pain in the ass to have to delete decks to make room for custom decks for beating bosses and to not have space for new decks to try out the new cards. They really just need to change it to where the deck page is a link for each of the nine characters that takes you to a page with 9 deck slots. This wouldn't be too confusing for new players (honestly, I don't think it would be confusing at all), and 81 decks is a negligible amount of data that they have to store on their servers. I doubt most people would even use all 81 slots, it would just be nice to have 2-3 decks per class.

Aylinato

My favorite 5 games in the last few days.

1 getting a hunter to 10 health at turn 9 as Mage with pyro in hand
2 wiping a zoo warlocks board completely with fire dude and spells. Perfect RNG.
3 wiping the board of a face hunter because he left my flame walker alive and went face.
4 my wins with my handlock have become more stable now that we have the AoE that doesn't kills demons, no more face damage to stop rushing
5 arena win turn 7 by causing the opponent to fatigue, I was Mage and had a lot of cards when he played the fel reaver, of which I had two 1 mana freeze from some mech and the 3 mana gnome lol. Burned his entire deck, so beautiful

Face it Hearthstone is incredibly barebones. I hope another company makes a good card game, so Blizzard might have to get off its ass and actually do something, besides roll out solo adventures that are nothing to write home about and feel lacklustre.

Game has been out of beta for about a year now and barely anything has changed.

They are getting no money from me till they actually start balancing and adding features/modes etc.

Face it Hearthstone is incredibly barebones. I hope another company makes a good card game, so Blizzard might have to get off its ass and actually do something, besides roll out solo adventures that are nothing to write home about and feel lacklustre.

They are getting no money from me till they actually start balancing and adding features/modes etc.

What game modes and features do you want? What needs to be balanced?

Minsc

Gold Member

I'm looking forward to seeing the Magic: The Gathering Duels version take on F2P that releases pretty soon.

It'll have stuff beyond 1v1 (not sure if there's 2v2, but Two-Headed Giant is in), so right there that'll be pretty great, and it will have a lot more strategy to it as well (at least in theory, until everyone just netdecks 3 turn win decks like in HS).

Hearthstone is really missing some sort of co-op or 2v2 gameplay mode. Not sure how it'd work exactly, maybe it's not as feasible as in MTG, but even just a free-for-all mode of 1v1v1, etc... of course they'd have to implement some sort of rotating battlefield... I don't know. It just definitely seem like the F2P Duels CCG will offer quite a few things Hearthstone doesn't.

Parshias7

I can think of two noteworthy games I've been a part of:

1. A Control Warrior vs. Control Warrior match-up. Things got out of control for my opponent as I wound up with two Armorsmiths out on the field for a considerable amount of time. At one point the life differential was something like 74 to 28. And yet, this was one game I had a distinct possibility of losing. I was 3 cards up on my opponent thanks to some better Acolyte of Pain play, so I hit fatigue early. (CW vs. CW? obviously going to end in fatigue) He ended up with Grommash (with no activators) and Ysera on his board, Grommash got cleared by Brawl and Ysera by a 27 damage Shield Slam. I managed to close the game out with Gorehowl. I had maybe 20 life left at the end, which wouldn't have lasted long if I couldn't clear his board along with fatigue.

2. Druid vs. Paladin in Arena. The life differential was about 1 to 20 something in my opponent's favor. I was able to get board control back at the last moment and came back to win the game. It was tense as fuck for the first 4 turns since my opponent could have won if he topdecked Consecration or Truesilver. Had to make sure to leave 2 mana to hero power every turn for the armor gain. I had been feeling salty earlier in the game when nothing seemed to go my way and had almost conceded, but I stuck it out and ended up with the win. Never give up, kids.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

I would love:

Built-in voice chat (friends online)
"Arena" with friends
Achievements
Ladder rewards

And I'll be 100% satisfied

What game modes and features do you want? What needs to be balanced?

Top of my head.

Arena without rewards or entrance fee.
Duo battle's.
More fucking card slots.
Appear offline.
Being able to pick between classic or GVG packs for arena awards.
A reward system that actually makes laddering worth it.

Balance
Dr. GG
Mad scientist put trap in hand instead of field.
Make Shaman less of an rng class. Totem is by far the worst hero power its so rng based its not even fun to play with. Its just bottom of the barrel together with Priest and Rogue.
Start balancing arena so it isn't just 80% of the time Mage or Paladin i face.
Buff some cards like Argent commander back to its original 4/3 with the powercreep it fits rights.
Change Blastmage to a 4/4.

Magnus

Schooling everyone, including Face Hunters with the Foe Reaper Legend 4000 deck as a priest feels so fucking good. And I don't even have the Reaper! Subbed in Thaurissan.

Levi

Banned
HearthPwn, either Top - Month, Top - All Time, or Hot sorted. Fuck this game.

It's probably not the decks, dude.

Pick ONE deck, and not some flavor of the month "fun dragon" deck or some shit, and learn how to pilot it properly. Watch a stream, ask a better player to spectate you, post videos of your play here.

Don't rely on a netdeck to win, you still have to make optimal plays.

embalm

I opened up a Golden Trade Prince Gallywix yesterday. Normally I dust all of my golden cards and craft what I want. I'm starting to reach the point of diminishing returns with my collection though. I already have a normal Trade Prince, he was actually the first gvg Legendary I opened, so which one should I dust?

The real question is does Golden Gallywix give you golden spells? I mean that would probably make him worth keeping.

Tacitus_

Uuf, I just played against a taunt druid. He innervated the 5/10 ancient on turn 5 and the only "answer" I had in my hand was unstable portal. I got an Earth Elemental (7/8) :lol

He had to trade off his tree and burn a swipe to get rid of it! I kinda felt bad for him after the match.

JesseZao

I opened up a Golden Trade Prince Gallywix yesterday. Normally I dust all of my golden cards and craft what I want. I'm starting to reach the point of diminishing returns with my collection though. I already have a normal Trade Prince, he was actually the first gvg Legendary I opened, so which one should I dust?

The real question is does Golden Gallywix give you golden spells? I mean that would probably make him worth keeping.

I'm almost certain he does. I'd definitely keep him either way. Fun card.

Danj

clearly, dust gifting needs to be a thing

I have 145 dust. ;_;

I have like 25 dust. And yeah gifting of spare stuff (cards, dust, gold) should totally be a thing, but I imagine it would be abused by gold farmers or whatever, which is probably why it's not in the game to start with.

ViviOggi

i have a dank iron dwarf, he has a harvest golem, plays fucking TINKMASTER (off-curve) - hello squirrel for me

utterly fucking moronic play is rewarded by me losing two 50/50s, arena so fun

BashNasty

Don't rely on a netdeck to win, you still have to make optimal plays.

As a previous poster on this page said, just don't netdeck. Netdecking takes ownership out of your victories. Build your own decks, optimize them, and realize that Hearthstone is 1000 times better when you engage in the deck building aspect of the game and spice up the ranked ladder with something unique. Beats the hell out of being another brain dead face hunter who's only contribution is making Hearthstone less fun to play in their misguided quest for wins over all else.

embalm

i have a dank iron dwarf, he has a harvest golem, plays fucking TINKMASTER (off-curve) - hello squirrel for me

I know you're venting, but "dank Iron Dwarf" made me laugh out loud. I want that card.

squidyj

Today was bring my constructed opening to arena day today.

Wyrm into apprentice, into flamewaker mirror image into frostbolt into cone of cold into boulderfist.

Tacitus_

I wouldn't even be mad, he had to pick tinkmaster and get that RNG right :lol

embalm

Priest should have cards that allow you pay extra mana for extra stats/benefits.

I was thinking about priest and how it continues to be a class that can't seem to handle multiple deck types.
Priest also has a serious lack of class mechanics compared to other classes. All other classes have unique mechanics like Combos or Overload, or shared mechanics like Weapons or Secrets.

So what if Priest gained the choose one mechanic, but it increased the cost of the card?

Holy Smite - 1 mana deal 2 damage. 4 mana deal 5 damage.

Twilight Whelp - 1 mana: +2 health when holding dragon. 2 mana: +1 health for each dragon card in hand.

I didn't know netdecking is so frowned upon here. I have decks which I build from the ground up (which thus far have been terrible) and then I have decks that I copy and will alter by one or two cards for ladder play (I don't have a face hunter deck but I do own a mech mage deck for quick wins). I generally just play constructed enough to bang out my daily quests and head back into arena though. I suppose I might feel differently once I decide to climb the ladder to get to legend.

Levi

Banned
Finally lost to a patron warrior -- but not as zoo. Switched to handlock, which is supposed to be a counter.

So I'm like 9-0 vs Patron Warrior as zoo, which is supposed to be a bad matchup, and I'm 0-1 as Handlock, which is supposed to heavily favor me.

I am psyched that the Zoo/Patron meta makes Handlock a great ladder deck, because it might be my favorite deck to use.

Ashodin

There's a subset of players in any card game that frown upon netdecking - it basically means the players who create the best decks don't have to be the best players. Someone else could create AWESOMEDECK X that is then just ran by someone else to the Top 8 or whatever of a tournament, meaning they did zero thinking on building it, just all the work of playing WITH it.

johnsmith

remember me
Absolutely nothing wrong with netdecking. But some people consider themselves superior for playing their own original decks and want everybody to know it.

Dahbomb

I think I have like a 95% winrate with Zoolock right now even against Grim Patron. A couple of my losses were just scumbag Mage getting double Fireball on curve or Face Hunter double Kill Command but I win against those types of decks more than I lose against them.

On the other hand I have a much lower win rate with Grim Patron and almost all of the loses were due to my fault. I think I am getting too caught up in trying to win in spectacular fashion with Patrons as opposed to just playing them when the situation is right. Definitely takes some getting used to. I have however not lost a game using Grim Patron against Face Hunter. The deck is ridiculously strong though, against certain classes it's pretty much auto win.

johnsmith

remember me
Grim patron is pretty good against normal zoo, but I struggle with demonlock midrange zoo. Like Reynad said on stream about voidcaller, "oh a piloted shredder that spawns a 5/7, that's balanced."

Had a crazy unlucky 1/3 Priest run where I faced Tirion, Sneeds into The Beast, and my PC crashing. After that I drafted this:

RATzbFJ.png

kxfKWju.png

I actually was offered a 2nd KT but took Boom instead. I'm not getting too excited though because decks that look this good can still go 0/3 with shit draws and bad luck.

Had a crazy unlucky 1/3 Priest run where I faced Tirion, Sneeds into The Beast, and my PC crashing. After that I drafted this:

I actually was offered a 2nd KT but took Boom instead. I'm not getting too excited though because decks that look this good can still go 0/3 with shit draws and bad luck.

Only thing missing is a goblin skillmage.

Dahbomb

Grim patron is pretty good against normal zoo, but I struggle with demonlock midrange zoo. Like Reynad said on stream about voidcaller, "oh a piloted shredder that spawns a 5/7, that's balanced."
There's no normal Zoo anymore... there's the "midrange" Zoo now. It basically has a really aggressive early game, really stick minions and huge tempo swings. To top it off it even has late game win condition through Dr Balanced and Malganis, even Sea Giants and huge Void Terrors.

So guys what challenge should Challengestone use next? Here are a couple of my suggestions for the challenge for Challengestone#2:

Example#1:

*Creatures must have different attacks and health values (so no Dr Balanced, Sylvanas, Emperor etc).

*Cannot use spells that hit the hero (no Consecrates, no Fireballs, no Kill Commands etc) or impact either hero in some the way (like Sacrificial Pact destroying Jaraxxus type effects).

Example Deck: Control Warrior: 2x Execute, 2x Shield Slam, 2x Fiery War Axe, 2x Whirlwind, 2x Shield Block, 2x Acolyte, 2x Armorsmith, 2x Death Bite, 2x Belcher, 2x Shredder, Baron Gedden, 2x BGH, 1x Brawl, 1x Grommash, 1x Caine Bloodhoof, 1x Kelthuzad, 1x Sneeds Old Shredder, 1x Spell Breaker.

Example#2:

*Creatures may not have any random element tot hem (so no Shredders, no Ragnaros, no Dr Balanced, no Knife Jugglers, no Void Callers etc)

*Cannot use spells that can target minions (AOE or random spells are fine but no spells that you have to directly target a minion with. So basically no Poly, no Hexes, Fireballs etc).

Example Deck: Handlock

2x, Zombie Chow, 2x Hellfire, 1x BGH, 1x Owl, 2x Earthen Far Seer, 2x Ancient Watcher, 2x Sunfury Protector, 2x Molten Giants, 2x Drakes, 2x Belchers, 1x Jaraxxus, 2x Shadowflame, 2x Mountain Giants, 2x Twilight Drake, Caine Bloodhoof, 2x Defender of Argus, 1x Kelthuzad, 1x Antique Healbot, Emperor Thaurissan.

squidyj

Stop netdecking.

Since you just copied the cards, there's no sense of ownership of the decks. There's no sense of pride or fulfilment when winning a game. There's no possibility to adjust the decks after losing, because someone else already "perfectly optimised" them and it's not much fun tampering with someone else's deck anyway.

Honestly, losing with your own decks is much more fun. :D

This is terrible fucking advice. I've made my own decks and I've netdecked and anyone who looks down on netdecks can fuck right off. Whether I've netdecked or not I am in fact capable of having fun playing the game.

In response to the original question, you have to ask yourself what you're losing to and why. Perhaps the decks you are running are just weak against the decks you're facing, maybe you're not playing them correctly, maybe you need to think about what tech cards you're running or want to be running.

johnsmith

remember me
There's no normal Zoo anymore... there's the "midrange" Zoo now. It basically has a really aggressive early game, really stick minions and huge tempo swings. To top it off it even has late game win condition through Dr Balanced and Malganis, even Sea Giants and huge Void Terrors.

I definitely still see the old zoo, except now with imp masters. It's about 50/50.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If you're losing with netdecks then you have problems with fundamentals.

Most popular decks have a writeup or something on LiquidHearth, so I recommend lreading those. I also recommend stalking pro players and analyze their play move by move. Think about what move you would make and contrast that with what move a player like Kolento makes and then try to figure out what was the thought process that led you two down different paths.

Levi

Banned
I definitely still see the old zoo, except now with imp masters. It's about 50/50.

Yeah, plenty of traditional zoo out there. Just beat a guy who played two of the 1/1 divine shield guys on turn one, played tons of aggro cards like Dire Wolf and Leeroy. (Rushing down my health as handlock didn't really work out for him, since he couldn't deal with my taunted giants and I had lethal on turn 9 with hellfire)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom