• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

daemissary

Just had a 12 win arena run and the prizes were golden Battle Rage and golden Commanding Shout. I guess Blizzard is telling me to play Patron warrior...

ViviOggi

Finally lost to a patron warrior -- but not as zoo. Switched to handlock, which is supposed to be a counter.

So I'm like 9-0 vs Patron Warrior as zoo, which is supposed to be a bad matchup, and I'm 0-1 as Handlock, which is supposed to heavily favor me.

I am psyched that the Zoo/Patron meta makes Handlock a great ladder deck, because it might be my favorite deck to use.
Depending on which rank you're at people really are legit awful with the deck

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Patron Warrior is very difficult to play, it's not a surprise. Those favored matchups assume both players know each others' decks inside out.

I think Patron Warrior is similar to Oil Rogue, which was never really popular even when it was a top tier deck. They're both way more complex than what most Hearthstone players are used to.

Similarly, I win a lot of my Patron Warrior games because people underestimate what Frothing Berserkers can do. I dropped two Frothings against a Mage as a desperation play, because I was totally out of gas. Instead of nuking one (I know they had a Fireball from Antonidas), they played Mirror Image and went face and tried to put me into lethal range. Well, next turn I double Whirlwinded along with Commander and Cruel Taskmaster to break through the Mirror Images for 31 damage to the face. Those Mirror Images actually helped give me lethal. I lost that game, straight up, and it was a stupid play that let me win. That's what happens when you have no idea how a deck works on a basic level.

manhack

I didn't know netdecking is so frowned upon here. I have decks which I build from the ground up (which thus far have been terrible) and then I have decks that I copy and will alter by one or two cards for ladder play (I don't have a face hunter deck but I do own a mech mage deck for quick wins). I generally just play constructed enough to bang out my daily quests and head back into arena though. I suppose I might feel differently once I decide to climb the ladder to get to legend.

I don't think it is "bad" to net deck, but you have to tone down your expectations.

As was said before I think the real issue is that finding a good deck, especially copying the "I hit legend #1 with XYZ deck today" leads to frustration because that same exact deck is not going to get the same 60 - 70% winrate in the hands of someone who just started playing it.

Many players will honestly play the same deck for weeks and sometimes play one class almost exclusively.

Levi

Banned

Went from 19 to 10 with Zoo, dropped to 13 and switched to handlock, back up to 11 at the moment.

Seems like if you pressure Patron enough, they drop their frothings or warsongs early, and if you remove them it's GG. Both my zoolocks and handlocks run double owl, too, so frothings aren't that scary unless they drop them as part of their combo.

ViviOggi

Went from 19 to 10 with Zoo, dropped to 13 and switched to handlock, back up to 11 at the moment.

Seems like if you pressure Patron enough, they drop their frothings or warsongs early, and if you remove them it's GG. Both my zoolocks and handlocks run double owl, too, so frothings aren't that scary unless they drop them as part of their combo.

Yes, that is the most common mistake. Inexperienced Patron players think they need to keep the board at all costs and drop their vital combo pieces without effect. There are situations where playing a non-charged Frothing is the correct play, but they're very specific and just dropping a Warsong for the body is a surefire way to lose you the game right there - especially against Zoo.

Do Better

I had control of the board with a 4-4 taunted by a spare part card and a 4-3 against a Priest with empty board. I'm top decking, but ahead way ahead on life. I draw raging worgen, attack face and make a 1-1. His next play is shadow madness the worgen, play mad bomber who hits the 4-4 taunt once and nothing else eventful, power word shield the worgen, kill the now 4-3 taunt and trade off the other 4-3 with the worgen.

Was it a straight up mistake to play the worgen or RNG ridiculousness?

JustinBB7

Breaking News message in the client saying EU gets 2 free classic packs because of shitty servers, but I don't have them. Still rolling out or?

ViviOggi

It's probably still bad.

Yup KT does absolutely nothing for you when behind in arena. Incidentally just the other day I went 4-3 with a really unlucky Warlock draft that had him, and Loatheb would have been the much better choice. Should have listened to my gut feeling.

I don't think it is "bad" to net deck, but you have to tone down your expectations.

As was said before I think the real issue is that finding a good deck, especially copying the "I hit legend #1 with XYZ deck today" leads to frustration because that same exact deck is not going to get the same 60 - 70% winrate in the hands of someone who just started playing it.

Many players will honestly play the same deck for weeks and sometimes play one class almost exclusively.

I agree. There are other conditions that led to that unique deck hitting 60-70%. I typically go with decks from the meta snapshot. Seems like those are more proven over a large sample size.

I think best thing for the poster on the losing streak to do would be to look at his decision making rather than to change decks. If you find yourself in a prolonged losing streak, the best thing to do is to stop playing and examine your decision making process. You need to figure out where you're going wrong first (wrong deck? or bad play?). Otherwise you can't fix it.

I had control of the board with a 4-4 taunted by a spare part card and a 4-3 against a Priest with empty board. I'm top decking, but ahead way ahead on life. I draw raging worgen, attack face and make a 1-1. His next play is shadow madness the worgen, play mad bomber who hits the 4-4 taunt once and nothing else eventful, power word shield the worgen, kill the now 4-3 taunt and trade off the other 4-3 with the worgen.

Was it a straight up mistake to play the worgen or RNG ridiculousness?

I'm guessing mistake to play the worgen (though if I were in your position, I'd probably have done the same thing). How many cards were in his hand?

arimanius

So I'm interested in buying some packs. I still need a lot of normal legendaries. Is the typical thought to buy mostly normal but throw in some GvG packs? I've just started playing again so I have no GvG cards.

Iryx

So I'm interested in buying some packs. I still need a lot of normal legendaries. Is the typical thought to buy mostly normal but throw in some GvG packs? I've just started playing again so I have no GvG cards.

If you don't have any GvG cards, I think it would be better to buy mostly GvG so you can get the important commons and rares.

Maximo

If you don't have any GvG cards, I think it would be better to buy mostly GvG so you can get the important commons and rares.
Eeehhhh since you can only get GvG packs from winning Arena I might disagree, if he's doing Arena he should get Normal Packs first.

arimanius

Maybe I'll reverse my thinking and buy more GvG cards.

Eeehhhh since you can only get GvG packs from winning Arena I might disagree, if he's doing Arena he should get Normal Packs first.

I've only down arena a few times. I really suck at it. Lol highest is 4 wins.

ViviOggi

hearthstonescreenshotzzaab.png

Packs (80 dust) up!

Levi

Banned
Log in to EU to see if my packs are there, they aren't. Decide to do my daily. First game I play is a fucking loss because of the lag.

I want 4 packs.

VoxPop

Holy shit. Repair bot from Gelbin Mekkatorque is the stupidest shit ever. Just unstabled a Mekka and it healed my opponent for 18 HP when I was about to finish him off. Then he thoughtsteals my Rag and Fireball to finish me.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Got side tracked from Heroes... free packs? Wow, I just got two of them... but why?

edit: got my 9th molten giant... jesus.

I've been away from Hearthstone since the GVG expansion and been catching up on some Trump videos to see what the fuss is withe Black Rock.

Is it worth getting the expansion? Naxx was a big deal and let me play at an entirely different level compared to pre-Naxx. I haven't really seen any big shift in the meta though.

Best wishes.

Type2

Sometimes I play my friends and draw no weapons and draw engines which I've seen happen to my opponents. That's an auto loss without any way around it if it happens. But I've seen people leave weak boards and do stupid sequencing all the time.

Levi

Banned
I've been away from Hearthstone since the GVG expansion and been catching up on some Trump videos to see what the fuss is withe Black Rock.

Is it worth getting the expansion? Naxx was a big deal and let me play at an entirely different level compared to pre-Naxx. I haven't really seen any big shift in the meta though.

Best wishes.

Do you like zoo, tempo mage, or combo decks? Then it's worth it. Otherwise the dragon's aren't that great so far, certainly not essential.

bodine1231

I don't understand why people craft gold cards in general. I mean, sure, prestige and all that, but they have no practical use. Why would you waste dust on that? Gold cards have one use, and that is giving you dust. I've disenchanted every single gold card I've ever had as long as I already have the non-gold versions. While they have no meaning to me, I can understand people keeping gold cards they open out of packs, but crafting a purely cosmetic item with valuable dust seems insane.

I have all the regular usable cards. I could use my dust to craft the ones I dont have but most of what I don't have are the bad legends and epics. I'd rather use the dust for gold cards that look badass. I could save the dust for the next expansion,but I'll probably buy a shitload of packs and get what I want anyway.

Xanathus

Best wishes.
If money or gold is tight, I'd say get only the first wing. Nearly all of the good cards are in there.

_DrMario_

Started a F2P EU account.

Lvl mage to 10 doing single player.

First match at rank 25 against pally who has Ysera, Sylvanas, Naxx cards, double aldor peace keepers etc...

Fucking no life losers.

bodine1231

HOLY SHIT! I was about to use whats left of my dust to craft either a golden Antonidas or golden Grommash and look what I get from my arena pack...

I seriously screamed like a little girl

I think I blew all my arena luck last game. Play like shit. Top deck flame strike. Drop two 3/3, 3/3's. Top deck fireball and finish...

I think I'm gonna pass playing tonight. There's karmic retribution to be had but not tonight...

Do you like zoo, tempo mage, or combo decks? Then it's worth it. Otherwise the dragon's aren't that great so far, certainly not essential.

I used to like Zoo back in the day but I much prefer the usual Muster Paladin. Although as I'm sorta coming back, I am enjoying playing Mech Mage and mid-range Hunter again.

I'm checking some of the cards and I definitely don't see much of the hype...

If money or gold is tight, I'd say get only the first wing. Nearly all of the good cards are in there.

Yeah I've noticed. I might just get the first wing if anything. Thanks guys.

Best wishes

Pretty crazy Arena deck I just drafted, just a fraction short of an average of 70 card value on HearthArena. Little bit short in the 3-drop department but the Fireballs and Water Eles should let me pull things back. If this doesn't go 8 wins, at the very least, I'll be disappointed. Just took a plodding Pally draft to 7.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I went down to rank 15 today by playing demon zoo and face hunter, i was pretty pissed and then i had the awesome idea to play midrange paladin. I climbed my way back to rank 11 just now, it's weird tough i'm having way better luck with mid range paladin with zero zombie chows in the deck, i used to run two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom