• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiryani

What is everyone's rank on the ladder right now? I'm 14, down from 12 last night. Shittiest luck today.

10, haven't actually grinded ladder at all this season just floated up to 10 doing dailies and bits and pieces.

I have no motivation to grind ladder because it's either legend or you've failed , and the entire concept of ladder is just bullshit and Rock Paper Scissors at higher rankings.

I think if you have a 50.01% win rate+ then a lot of this game is just Rock Paper Scissors tbh. I can queue in ladder right now and face rogue and concede straight away because my deck can't beat rogue, or I can face warrior and just semi afk the entire game because it's a matchup I can't lose, etc etc.

This game really needs tournament mode or the meta needs to expand drastically because facing the same 8 decks again and again makes ladder way too dull

johnsmith

remember me
Does anyone else think people who have legendaries in their deck at low ranks should either be forced into a different division where they fight other people with legendaries, or should be matched against people a couple of ranks above them? I'm sick of people busting out Kel'Thuzad or the Stalagg/Feugen combo or whatever when I'm only a lowly rank 20.

No.

Levi

Banned
What is everyone's rank on the ladder right now? I'm 14, down from 12 last night. Shittiest luck today.

8. Might grind ladder my next day off to try and hit 5, and if I do that I'll make the effort to hit legend. If not, I won't bother.

squidyj

15 i've been throwing spaghetti ideas at ladder and seeing what sticks. not much has so I'm at 15. I"m ready for these BRM cards tho

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
One thing I have noticed, it seem a like a lot of people don't realize that Coldlight Seer's effect is a permanent buff. I have seen people try to steal it or kill it, and then they pause when the HP of the others doesn't go down.

I've barely played at all this season after hitting Legend in February. Just every 3 or 4 days to clear out quests. So I'm only 15 or 16 or something. I'll probably pick up the game more again when Blackrock releases, but I needed to cool off after the grind last month. Focusing on a high win-rate is pretty taxing and I made the goal anyway. Playing the same meta for another month would've been too much I think.

I've barely played at all this season after hitting Legend in February. Just every 3 or 4 days to clear out quests. So I'm only 15 or 16 or something. I'll probably pick up the game more again when Blackrock releases, but I needed to cool off after the grind last month. Focusing on a high win-rate is pretty taxing and I made the goal anyway. Playing the same meta for another month would've been too much I think.

The meta this month... and the meta last month... so different. Honest.

At least what I have been experiencing.

635623925738780713.png
635623925373152357.png
635623924946745425.png

Initial reactions:

Mage card looks pretty good.

The hunter card looks like a joke but I guess 7/7 on turn 4 can be devastating but how...

Imp gang boss looks actually quite good.

New blog with new cards!

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/18314312/

The mage card has an interesting effect, but I don't think it's too impactful. It's similar to shadowboxer except the effect is a bit more difficult to trigger. The hunter card seems to encourage aggro hunter or topdecking wars. The warlock card is yet another way of generating imps, but with a body on board. Pretty interesting cards overall.

Core Rager is a Doomguard, but you play the cards instead of discarding them. It's somewhat interesting but I feel like its best use is BGH bait.

watching streamers a teensy bit/that heartharena article made me realize how much im holding on to cards with text when i should be playing them even though im not making full use of said text

core rager is terrifying

New blog with new cards!

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/18314312/

The mage card has an interesting effect, but I don't think it's too impactful. It's similar to shadowboxer except the effect is a bit more difficult to trigger. The hunter card seems to encourage aggro hunter or topdecking wars. The warlock card is yet another way of generating imps, but with a body on board. Pretty interesting cards overall.

Could combo a sorc apprentice with it for a 5 dmg arcane missiles on turn 3 :p.

So basically mage got a knife juggler type class card, the same way priest got one in shadowboxer except mage already had blastmage being a super knife juggler. I hate knife juggler rng, therefore I will probably hate this card. At least this one has a more reasonable activation cost than just playing minions.

Second impression on the hunter card... it isn't terrible I guess. 4/4 for 4 isn't so bad as to be unplayable at the very least. So sometimes getting a 7/7 vs maybe playing something else with higher stats is the question.

watching streamers a teensy bit/that heartharena article made me realize how much im holding on to cards with text when i should be playing them even though im not making full use of said text

Yeah, cards have a sort of time value and the value reduces over time, so even when you get greedy and try to get the most value out of a card, you may actually have gotten higher value if you just played the card earlier.

Basically playing a 3/3 on turn 3 might be higher value than waiting til you also get 3 hp out of it.

It really isn't simple but you'll get a better grasp for knowing when to apply pressure or when to save for higher value.

Dahbomb

The Hunter card is basically just a big fat BGH target waiting to happen... it would've been better if it was +2/+4 instead. I am still glad that Hunter got a card like that as they lack a good 4 drop. Even at 4/4 it's not a terrible 4 drop plus it's a beast so I can see it getting used in Arena. In Constructed, Mid Range Hunters will continue to use Shredders as their 4 drop.

The Mage card is decent for Arena but I am doubtful that it will see any constructed play. Decent in Arena because people will want to remove the card asap as it's very similar to a Knife Juggler.

I don't see much use for the Imp card even in Demonlock decks. Decent 3 drop if you can somehow get a couple of activations out of it, probably only usable in Arena.

The theme for these new cards is that they are filling holes in the classes. Warlock lacked a usable 3 drop minion, Mage lacked a 4 heath 3 drop minion and Hunters lacked a good 4 drop minion as well. So on that end Blizzard did good but I don't expect these new cards to be meta game changing.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Flamewaker - That's an interesting effect for sure. Somebody might throw this in some kind of mage deck that's like a spell heavy tempo/aggro deck? Throw this and Mana Wyrm together and you could get some pretty good value. I think it's kind of a hard card to evaluate though. It could be really really good, but it also might be a bit too hard to activate the effect consistently. Seems like an "okay" pick in arena.

Core Rager - Oh sure, let's give Face Hunter more tools. Fantastic. Let's hope you have BGH because otherwise this thing is going to hurt if the battlecry activates. I guess its power is totally dependent on how often the hunter can pull off the battlecry. If it's consistent enough then every Face Hunter will run this thing, BGH be damned, I think. It might actually be a pretty good pickup in arena considering how often topdeck wars can happen there.

Imp Gang Boss - This might actually be the most consistently good card of the three revealed today. I feel like you can get some pretty damn good value out of this thing. If you can summon two imps from it that's fantastic. Getting just one is fine, and that's going to happen practically 100% of the time. I think this might be an auto-include in zoo. Maybe it's good enough that zoo comes back. Might be good enough for demonlock. Interestingly enough it could combo very well with demonfire or felheart, but I still don't think those cards will be a thing. Probably an arena staple as well. The biggest buff to warlock arena since floating watcher.

squidyj

Core Rager is the ultimate top dick.

sure, if you're topdecking on turn 4 or 5. by 6 I think I'd rather have a highmane and everybody knows what they want on 7.
he's a much better "shit your hand" card making him a 7/7 you can play for decent tempo

Dahbomb

Core Rager is the ultimate top dick.
Does it really matter if you get Core Rager vs say a Ragnaros/charger/UTH/Dr Balanced? By the time you are in top dick mode you can play whatever comes in your hand if it's a minion and you generally want the biggest minion you have. I would much rather top dick a Dr Balanced over a Core Rager.

I feel like people are overrating core rager the same way feign death was overrated. People keep pointing out face hunter. Granted, I don't really play face hunter, but I've played against them a lot.

That said, emptying your entire hand before turn 4 seems impossible. You only have a very limited amount of mana to work with and way too many cards. You basically have to play 6-7 cards off 6-7 mana. You have to empty your entire hand before turn 4, then top deck this guy and play him.

So this is not a 4 drop, or if you think of it as a 4 drop, you think of it as a dark iron dwarf exchanging his battlecry for a beast tag, which btw seems like a very bad pay off. If you're face hunter, you'd rather the battlecry than beast tag. The damage now would more likely be a bigger deal than being an enabler for kill command.

After turn 4 a face hunter is looking to make plays like arcane golem or wolfer rider + hero power. In fact, a face hunter is trying to hit hero power as often as possible usually by this point. So will a face hunter ever be able to both empty its hand down to 1 card, and then play that card on the same turn? Is it even worth it? Why not just leeroy jenkins or some other charge minion or burn damage at that point?

Just seems like a bad card (at least for face hunters) that people are overreacting to (mainly referring to other sites since most people haven't even reacted here or that strongly).

Does it really matter if you get Core Rager vs say a Ragnaros/charger/UTH/Dr Balanced? By the time you are in top dick mode you can play whatever comes in your hand if it's a minion and you generally want the biggest minion you have. I would much rather top dick a Dr Balanced over a Core Rager.

Yeah, if you're top decking you might as well be playing bigger minions since you'll have excess mana anyway.

Dahbomb

Just seems like a bad card (at least for face hunters) that people are overreacting to (mainly referring to other sites since most people haven't even reacted here or that strongly).
Yeah I was just about to say that no one here has said this card is that good.

I can't see a situation where this card is obscenely good. It's definitely not good in Face Hunter and in Mid Range Hunter a Shredder is better. Even by some miracle you manage to get his card out before turn 7 with the Battle Cry and they have a removal for it (or a BGH)... then you have just lost the game.

I think Feign Death is just way, way better than this card for the record. Although in Arena Core Rager is very playable especially if you are in need of a solid Beast.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Core Rager seems like a nice Arena pick as even in the late game if you aren't already in topdeck mode, 4 mana is lenient enough to possibly empty the hand and play him as a 7/7. Has some anti synergy with skill command, I guess.

Not sure how that will go in constructed since without the battlecry he gets lit up by piloted shredder.

Yeah I was just about to say that no one here has said this card is that good.

I can't see a situation where this card is obscenely good. It's definitely not good in Face Hunter and in Mid Range Hunter a Shredder is better. Even by some miracle you manage to get his card out before turn 7 with the Battle Cry and they have a removal for it (or a BGH)... then you have just lost the game.

I think Feign Death is just way, way better than this card for the record. Although in Arena Core Rager is very playable especially if you are in need of a solid Beast.

Yeah, definitely I mean on other sites and twitter. Reading some responses I imagine people would just respond to any new hunter card whether its good or bad the same way lol...

It's like when miracle rogue was strong and anubar ambusher was revealed, people hated miracle enough that even a card that has no place in a miracle deck was raged at... pretty funny.

Dahbomb

Guys the answer to make Core Rager playable is to make him the new Dr Balanced answer...

635623925373152357.png

Wisp%28273%29.png

Wisp%28273%29.png

Turn 1 Leper Gnome, Turn 2 Leper Gnome + Abusive Sergeant + Hunter's Mark, Turn 3 Coin + double Wisp plus Core Rager to empty your hand... THE DREAM!!!!!

johnsmith

remember me
Man, every hunter I'm playing is face instead of midrange. As a control warrior player I love it. Easily the easiest match up. I think my win rate has to be above 90%.

I have a couple gold cards that I'm considering disenchanting for cards I need. Are either of these good/worth keeping?

Dunemaul Shaman
Void Terror

If you could only keep one, which would it be?

johnsmith

remember me
I have a couple gold cards that I'm considering disenchanting for cards I need. Are either of these good/worth keeping?

Dunemaul Shaman
Void Terror

Void terror sees some play, particularly with the demonlock that's currently semi-popular. Dunemaul Shaman never does.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Dunemaul Shaman
Void Terror

Dunemaul is too YOLO imo. He's kind of a "win more" card that's really hard to play from behind.

Void Terror is a decent enough card I think. If you're going to keep one of them, I'd keep the void terror. Dusting a gold common is pretty lame, too.

Void terror sees some play, particularly with the demonlock that's currently semi-popular. Dunemaul Shaman never does.

Dunemaul is too YOLO imo. He's kind of a "win more" card that's really hard to play from behind.

Void Terror is a decent enough card I think. If you're going to keep one of them, I'd keep the void terror. Dusting a gold common is pretty lame, too.
Thanks for the feedback guys. It's a rough life building quality decks when you only buy card packs with gold!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Protip: Pyromancer/Equailty does NOT work when double Murloc Warleader is in play.

I'm honestly a little surprised to find that out, but it makes some since, I think.

Protip: Pyromancer/Equailty does NOT work when double Murloc Warleader is in play.

I'm honestly a little surprised to find that out, but it makes some since, I think.

Yeah equality does not work with aura effects because the aura will reapply itself before the pyromancer proc. For instance equality pyrmonacer with Stormwind on board will only kill the Stormwind.

Lost 3 in a row in ranked because I was playing my spell only mage deck I had made for a daily quest the other day, oops

Switched to my proper mage deck and won 5 in a row, phew lol

Darn you custom mage deck 1 and 2

johnsmith

remember me
Lost 3 in a row in ranked because I was playing my spell only mage deck I had made for a daily quest the other day, oops

Switched to my proper mage deck and won 5 in a row, phew lol

Darn you custom mage deck 1 and 2

People like you are the reason we can't have more than 9 deck slots. THANKS A LOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom