• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sande

I wish gold rewards weren't so heavily front-loaded into quests. The game is basically discouraging you from playing it after your gold-per-win drops from 20+ to 3.3 after you complete your quests. I think anything below 5 or so is just ridiculous.

Running a Midrange Hunter deck with 2x Snake Trap, Scavenging Hyena, and Volcanic Drakes in it. So far it's been excellent.

zck1bpD.png

I proceeded to lose when the rest of his draws were near perfect whereas I drew everything I didn't want. :l 2nd Snake Trap, 2nd Mad Scientist, No Dr. Boom, loatheb, Kill Command, nothing. Whereas his top 10 cards featured both Armorsmiths, Execute, 2x Sludge Belchers, Shieldmaiden.

Running a Midrange Hunter deck with 2x Snake Trap, Scavenging Hyena, and Volcanic Drakes in it. So far it's been excellent.

zck1bpD.png

I proceeded to lose when the rest of his draws were near perfect whereas I drew everything I didn't want. :l

Volcanic drakes is a good idea. Make sure to run cultists too for extra hillarity.

Volcanic drakes is a good idea. Make sure to run cultists too for extra hillarity.

I have one. It's a really strong deck with a lot of synergy. I'm not sure if it's better than normal Midrange because not getting synergy pieces or drawing them in odd places can be weird. Just something I'm testing for now.

My winrate isn't fantastic, but I've had some fairly bad luck in these last few games. A guy Unstabled Harrison AND Healbot in the last match. It was... upsetting. The rest were similar. Malganis from Bane of Doom and Malganis from Void Caller in same turn. Etc.

Thinking about taking the Kill Command out and replacing it with Dr. Balanced.

I think I see the problem with the deck.

It's not been bad. My winrate is 57% at Rank 6 which isn't bad at all, just not as good as I was doing with the Midrange. Other factors like the lack of Paladins and Zoo (both good matchups) players today are probably contributing to the lower winrate than yesterdays Midrange Hunter climb.

Boom is a strong addition, but if I add him the Kill Command has to leave the deck and an Owl will have to find its way into the deck somehow. He raises the curve of the deck along with the addition of Volcanic Drake. He does have synergy with the deck but the initial goal was to farm Face Hunters and Zoo players, both of which are scarce today, so I tried to make sure the fundamental turn was set around 5-6 to compete with those decks. With the meta being very Mage, Warrior, Handlock today - most likely due to streamers trying these exact decks - the fundamental turn can afford to move back and Boom becomes a more functional card. The Owl gets added in to combat the army of Grim Patrons. Lots of silence targets in the deck.

Dahbomb

I have one. It's a really strong deck with a lot of synergy. I'm not sure if it's better than normal Midrange because not getting synergy pieces or drawing them in odd places can be weird. Just something I'm testing for now.

My winrate isn't fantastic, but I've had some fairly bad luck in these last few games. A guy Unstabled Harrison AND Healbot in the last match. It was... upsetting. The rest were similar. Malganis from Bane of Doom and Malganis from Void Caller in same turn. Etc.

Thinking about taking the Kill Command out and replacing it with Dr. Balanced.

In any case, every Midrange Hunter deck runs Dr B so I am not sure why you aren't running Dr B to begin with.

Cipherr

Been a good run but I think I'm sorta done with hearthstone. Its been months and I haven't done any PvP. All I do is play PvE while working during the day. I don't enjoy ladder, I think Arena is fucking awful and I only ever play the game really at the end of the month to get to 20 for the card back.
KuGsj.gif

Been playing since last June or so? And those are my stats. Should say it all right there, barely played Play mode, only did like 5 or so arenas to get a 12 wins on. I never enjoyed the PvP of the game, and the PvE content is lazy and won't ever be anything other than crap they slap together with some ridiculous hero ability on the cpu to create a 'challenge'.

Meh. Its not a bad game, just not one I'm really all that into. I held on hoping something cool would come about in terms of PvE, but since thats not happening...

In any case, every Midrange Hunter deck runs Dr B so I am not sure why you aren't running Dr B to begin with.

Yeah it needs the Dr.

I find snake trap runs better in a beast deck, so I combine it with rhinos and tigers. That way if you don't get the jugglers/snakes out, you can still be dropping things to keep you in the game.

Oh and snipe. Nobody plays around snipe in this meta and you see a turn 4/5 drake every second game.

Dart

Played an almost impossible game just now with my Control priest against Mill Rouge. In the end she still had a couple cards left while I was already fatigued, she was full health & I'm down at around 10. I use thoughtsteal, get gang up and healbot, I use gang up on her healbot already on the board, then thoughtsteal again for two more healbots .... the rest is history. Feels good, especially after a flood of sarcastic/genuine? "I'm sorry" emotes.

Daigoro

Played an almost impossible game just now with my Control priest against Mill Rouge. In the end she still had a couple cards left while I was already fatigued, she was full health & I'm down at around 10. I use thoughtsteal, get gang up and healbot, I use gang up on her healbot already on the board, then thoughtsteal again for two more healbots .... the rest is history. Feels good, especially after a flood of sarcastic/genuine? "I'm sorry" emotes.

they always feel sarcastic. even if they arent.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Uh...I now see "wait time" and time in queue during finding opponent. I think NA server is dead.

Edit: oh, maintenence. Battle.net had the wrong date listed for some reason.

Daigoro

Uh...I now see "wait time" and time in queue during finding opponent. I think NA server is dead.

Edit: oh, maintenence. Battle.net had the wrong date listed for some reason.

it kept telling me that it would start at 8AM Pacific, but yeah, it appears to be down.

edit: back at the moment, but its been pretty flaky all night for me.

Tacitus_

top kek

I thoughstole a Kidnapper from my opponents deck, he plays a sunwalker. I kidnap it. He replays it, I copy if with a Faceless and play Flesheating Ghoul and sac my board to it. tyvm, Sunwalker and a 5/3 ghoul.

E: and 12-2!

That's 3/4 of my last runs getting to 12 wins. Got 2 packs, a golden silence and 250g.

Ikkarus

Opened a bolvar.

Time to make a casual deck that revolves around him.
I'm probably one of the few people who think Bolvar is a bit of an underdog in HS. Sure he can be silenced and all can laugh but that's one less silence for Tirion.

Plus Bolvar has one of the most badass intros when he's played in HS.

ViviOggi

Eh, I dunno. If the battlecry goes off, you're probably losing anyway.

Not really, no. Using health as a resource to get ahead on the board is often necessary, except with very specific cards like Farseer you can't afford to heal until the lategame and it doesn't require a miracle to get your opponent down to ~20 by turn 5. That's three attacks from a 2-drop and actually really common. On 6 you have leftover trash minions/weapons deal the other handful of damage before dropping the Crusher. If it isn't answered immediately, which is likely in arena, the game is over. It's pretty much a Fel Reaver without drawbacks as a 6cc 6/6 is still very solid.

Tacitus_

Not really, no. Using health as a resource to get ahead on the board is often necessary, except with very specific cards like Farseer you can't afford to heal until the lategame and it doesn't require a miracle to get your opponent down to ~20 by turn 5. That's three attacks from a 2-drop and actually really common. On 6 you have leftover trash minions/weapons deal the other handful of damage before dropping the Crusher. If it isn't answered immediately, which is likely in arena, the game is over. It's pretty much a Fel Reaver without drawbacks as a 6cc 6/6 is still very solid.

With weapon classes using health as a resource, sure, but if you're getting that much face damage you're getting out tempoed really badly.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm probably one of the few people who think Bolvar is a bit of an underdog in HS. Sure he can be silenced and all can laugh but that's one less silence for Tirion.

Plus Bolvar has one of the most badass intros when he's played in HS.

He works beat in a greedy control deck that runs multiple targets to be silenced or BGHd. He really isn't a bad card, just a bit greedy in this meta. The 5 slot is also just too thick right now.

Lumine

I've been trying 2 new decks.

First is my hybrid of control warrior and grim patron warrior. It made sense to me to try. Both decks already share many similar cards. I wanted to try and treat the grim patron combo like you'd treat the force of nature/savage roar combo with druid. Putting it in a more stable deck rather than building the deck solely around the combo. So it uses cards like senjin shieldmasta rather than gnomish inventor. It works decently so far, hit rank 10 with it, but I don't really grind ladder anyway. I can't say if it's better than either the more common control or grim patron warriors. It's a little clunky, but fun. I've dubbed it Grim Control Warrior, though it has become more mid-range-y now. :p

Second deck is a sort of shaman zoo with mechs. It uses 2 Blood Lusts and 2 Enhance-o Mechano's to finish the opponent. It's a lot of fun so far, but I can't tell if it's any good yet. I just finished my opponent with 4 1/1 spiders becoming 4/1 spiders with divine shield or windfury. I've called it Blood Mechano Shaman. :)

ViviOggi

With weapon classes using health as a resource, sure, but if you're getting that much face damage you're getting out tempoed really badly.

Like I said, a single 3/2 hitting three times is almost enough to proc the battlecry. If you hit your early drops and go face every turn you'll have that damage in easy before 4-drops/aoe can clean the board. A slight tempo advantage is more than enough. This line of play would usually lose you the game as midgame drops can just mop up your aggressive minions, but doing it to set up a Crusher is both easy and extremely strong.

The card is a very high priority pick, I've been on both sides enough times to say that much.

Tacitus_

Like I said, a single 3/2 hitting three times is almost enough to proc the battlecry. If you hit your early drops and go face every turn you'll have that damage in easy before 4-drops/aoe can clean the board. A slight tempo advantage is more than enough. This line of play would usually lose you the game as midgame drops can just mop up your aggressive minions, but doing it to set up a Crusher is both easy and extremely strong.

The card is a very high priority pick, I've been on both sides enough times to say that much.

Maybe I'm used to more slower arena, but that doesn't happen that much to me. I just had a game today where after going through 2/3rds of our decks, both of us were above 20hp.

Tacitus_

The fuck is going on in EU arena. I've seen two guys with 2 legendaries and not even bad ones. First a shaman had a Chromaggus and a Thermaplugg (thankfully didn't double that one, but still lost it) and now a paladin plopped down a tirion and a sylvanas.

OK Now a mage with GEDDON + ALEX

where do they get all those wonderful legendaries?

Magnus

The fuck is going on in EU arena. I've seen two guys with 2 legendaries and not even bad ones. First a shaman had a Chromaggus and a Thermaplugg (thankfully didn't double that one, but still lost it) and now a paladin plopped down a tirion and a sylvanas.

OK Now a mage with GEDDON + ALEX

where do they get all those wonderful legendaries?

I stopped playing arena for the past several months because even from round 1 or 2 onward, I feel like I'm dealing with decks that had far better selections than I did. Whenever I get an epic selection, it's always hot garbage. And I never seem to get a legendary selection.

marrec

Banned
Good god, Rogue is my WORST Arena class. Both times I've stupidly played one I went 0-3 (I average 5 wins otherwise) and here I am playing Rogue AGAIN.

At least I'm 1-0 so far, which is a record for me and Rogues.

When my Druid opponent Keepers my face on Turn 3 at Rank 4, I know I'm going to lose.

He turn 6 Force of Natured to clear the board, and turn 9 Fon, Savage Roar, Innervate, Savage Roar, Innervate Hero power'd me. :l I hate this stupid game.

He works beat in a greedy control deck that runs multiple targets to be silenced or BGHd. He really isn't a bad card, just a bit greedy in this meta. The 5 slot is also just too thick right now.

I run him in a sort of aggro weenies paladin deck. He and my quartermasters are the only cards that costs more than 4 mana.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I swear I have the worst luck of all time, I've gotten 5 duplicate legendaries within the past couple of weeks, and i'm not even close to having them all so getting dupes is a little annoying lol. at least I have chicken (pulled leeroy yesterday)

blingtron 3000
bloodmage thalnos
Bolvar Fordragon

then the ones that hurt because I crafted them a week before....

Ragnaros
Tirion

Agraavan

I swear I have the worst luck of all time, I've gotten 5 duplicate legendaries within the past couple of weeks, and i'm not even close to having them all so getting dupes is a little annoying lol. at least I have chicken (pulled leeroy yesterday)

blingtron 3000
bloodmage thalnos
Bolvar Fordragon

Ragnaros
Tirion

You are getting a bunch of Legendaries, some extremely useful and consider yourself unlucky? Ok, then...

Danj

I need a Rogue deck for one of my daily quests. I'd like to start using my newly acquired BRM cards, but I have no dust, and there aren't any BRM using decks on HearthPwn that cost less than like 1000 dust.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried starting with a basic deck and adding Naxx/BRM cards in as substitutes, but it didn't really work very well.

blingtron 3000
bloodmage thalnos
Bolvar Fordragon

Ragnaros
Tirion

Dude seriously don't whinge about getting legendaries, some of us have only ever gotten one non-Naxx/BRM legendary and it was shit.

Rapstah

You are getting a bunch of Legendaries, some extremely useful and consider yourself unlucky? Ok, then...

If you're buying hundreds of packs (which I'm guessing he is because that's a lot of legendaries) it's kind of a bummer if they're the same legendaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom