• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllGamer

lhjhbB9.gif

ViviOggi

Really cool idea, two issues though: for classes like Warlock and Mage 3 slots aren't enough to cover all basic archetypes, let alone experimenting, and then you run into the issue of new-ish players not owning enough cardbacks to cover all of the slots. Those can be easily worked around though.

It's so damn ridiculous how many good concepts keep popping up on reddit while Blizzard keeps jacking off tbh

Minsc

Gold Member
Now that the second adventure is done, and the spotlight will start to shift towards the 2nd card expansion of another 100+ cards, perhaps there'll be slightly more pressure to start allowing for more deck slots or something like the idea above, to accommodate the antiquated 9-deck limit in the game as the card pool continues to grow.

It really holds the game back a bit, as I'd rather build 4+ archetypes for each class and have them all easily selectable, and be able to refine them without needing to play on a PC to do so and use third party software.

gutshot

Honestly, I'd be fine with skipping an expansion and just getting a huge UI and feature set upgrade. Give me more deck slots, more game modes, more stats, more quests, more achievements. Maybe even some fun unlockables other than card backs (alternate heroes? new emotes?). The card pool is already a good size but the game itself really needs some fleshing out and if Team 5 is too small to be able to both add cards and improve the game client, I'd rather they focus on the latter for now.

Lyng

Honestly, I'd be fine with skipping an expansion and just getting a huge UI and feature set upgrade. Give me more deck slots, more game modes, more stats, more quests, more achievements. Maybe even some fun unlockables other than card backs (alternate heroes? new emotes?). The card pool is already a good size but the game itself really needs some fleshing out and if Team 5 is too small to be able to both add cards and improve the game client, I'd rather they focus on the latter for now.

This

gutshot

The one doesn't exclude the other. New cards are essential for a CCG though, so I wouldn't dismiss that so easily.

Well the oft-cited reason for why they haven't implemented more game modes and UI enhancements is that they don't have the time or man-power to do that while still putting out regular expansions and adventures. So I'm saying, if that is the case, I'd rather they skip spending time on yet another card-based expansion and take some time for an overall game experience expansion.

ETA: Perhaps with the mobile versions of the game done, they will be able to shift some of those resources towards some UI enhancements since I'm sure they had a few UI/UX designers working on that project.

Tacitus_

I doubt that the people designing cards would be the ones changing the UI. UI would require new code while new cards for the majority won't, unless they have new mechanics.

iirate

I really hope that going forward, new expansions have their own set of basic cards. Imagine if many of GvG's common mechs and a handful of spells expanded the basic set instead of being included in packs(maybe their golden versions would still be found in packs) - it would help ensure that the options for a new player maintain modern standards of playability(as power creep is an inevitable part of any collectable game) and that the basic collection remains proportional to the release of cards to date.

ViviOggi

That's solid UI design.

What's the official reason for the very limited number of deck slots again?
New players apparently get crazy confused upon seeing more deck slots than the game has classes (but aren't bothered by golden hero farming scum demolishing them at rank 20 and being unable to catch up with the ever-increasing card pool)

FeD.nL

New players apparently get crazy confused upon seeing more deck slots than the game has classes (but aren't bothered by golden hero farming scum demolishing them at rank 20 and being unable to catch up with the ever-increasing card pool)

They should really introduce something like a starter deck of cards or something. Tried to get a friend into the game and he was just overwhelmed by all the cards and that discouraged him from playing further. Or have a mode like the duel decks from magic where you can still learn the ropes without having to construct a deck and be on even playing ground with your opponent.

gutshot

I doubt that the people designing cards would be the ones changing the UI. UI would require new code while new cards for the majority won't, unless they have new mechanics.

True. After thinking about it some more, my guess is the UI people have been busy working on the mobile versions of the games up until now. With those out of the way, hopefully they can improve the overall client in some ways.

That being said, a comprehensive client upgrade with all the features I outlined would likely require most of the team to work on it. So I don't think they could do that and a regular expansion at the same time. But I'd be cool with simply more deck slots and maybe some basic stat tracking added to the game.

"As of February 2015 the team numbers more than 40 members."

http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Team_5
Thanks for the link!

If they're still under 100 members, then I can understand why what seems like small and easy changes to us haven't happened yet. However, I suppose what really matters is how it was all made and put together.

Thinking about it now, it'd be awesome to see Hearthstone in editor/engine to see how it all works. I kind of want to dissect the game now abd see all the moving parts.

Duster

I just had my favourite use of the Unstable Portal yet, turm five and a Shaman plays Doomhammer, I play Unstable Portal and then the Harrison Jones it created.

Tacitus_

Thanks for the link!

If they're still under 100 members, then I can understand why what seems like small and easy changes to us haven't happened yet. However, I suppose what really matters is how it was all made and put together.

Thinking about it now, it'd be awesome to see Hearthstone in editor/engine to see how it all works. I kind of want to dissect the game now abd see all the moving parts.

From what I hear, the codebase is all spaghetti since it started as a hobby project for one of the devs.

Cagey

Banned
Due to an error with iOS and Blizzard, I have $21 sitting in my Blizzard account. I haven't played D3 since binging the first two months of the game's release, I own the SC expansions, I don't play HOTS, and I don't play WoW.

Is there anything do with that credit besides Hearthstone? If not, what the hell should I buy in Hearthstone? I have the two wings unlocked but I've never bought anything else.

Haunted

Due to an error with iOS and Blizzard, I have $21 sitting in my Blizzard account. I haven't played D3 since binging the first two months of the game's release, I own the SC expansions, I don't play HOTS, and I don't play WoW.

Is there anything do with that credit besides Hearthstone? If not, what the hell should I buy in Hearthstone? I have the two wings unlocked but I've never bought anything else.
If there's nothing else that interests you from Blizz's lineup and you already have the wings, I say just splooge on some GvG packs. $20 should net you 15 packs or so.

Or save it up for Overwatch. :D

Opiate

I just had a legitimate turn 3 win -- as in, I had 3 mana crystals.

Can you guess how I did it? What class and cards?

The feel when your opponent has to burn his mindcontrol on your 7/2 lightwarden in arena.

It feels good generally when you get value out of light of the naaru. For one mana, I get 3 health and then turn that in to a minion who later kills Thaurissian, or something.

Tacitus_

Shaman, either whirling zappomatic or the 3/1 windfury guy and flametongues and/or rockbiters.
It feels good generally when you get value out of light of the naaru. For one mana, I get 3 health and then turn that in to a minion who later kills Thaurissian, or something.

I had to pick the base card over some other equally bad rares. It was nice getting it to 7 attack against a priest since he healed himself once. I also got it to 5 attack against a warrior by healing his face since he had 27 hp and 10+ armor.

But burning a MC on it only for me to trade my puddlestomper to it. That's value.

embalm

The only way I know that it can be done is the turn 1 double Dust Devil, turn 2 skip, turn 3 Flame tongue totem + rockbitter.
Turn 1 - 0 damage
Turn 2 - 12 damage (3x2)+(3x2)
Turn 3 - 26 damage ((3+2+3)x2) + ((3+2)x2)

LiveWire

WHEEEEEEEEE

Turn 1 coined Zap-o-matic
Turn 2 another Zap-o-matic + attack with 1st Zap-o-matic (6 pts)
Turn 3 Double Rockbiter on Zap-o-matics (12+12)
6+12+12=30

Dahbomb

Shaman:

Turn 1 + Coin double Dust Devil

Turn 2 Don't play anything, hit face for 12 damage.

Turn 3 Place Flametongue in between Dust Devils hit for 20 damage for lethal

Opiate

Shaman
Two whirling zap o matics (first one coined out on turn 1)
Two rockbiter weapons

WHEEEEEEEEE

Turn 1 coined Zap-o-matic
Turn 2 another Zap-o-matic + attack with 1st Zap-o-matic (6 pts)
Turn 3 Double Rockbiter on Zap-o-matics (12+12)
6+12+12=30

Very close.

Coin Zap o matic
6 damage turn 2, play another zap o matic
Flametongue + rockbiter turn 3 for a total of 32 damage by the end of turn 3. That's actually more damage than the double rockbiter provides.

But yes, dust devil can also work.

Opiate

Doing the math, the most possible damage you could do by the end of turn 3 would be what embalm suggested:

Double Dust devil turn 1
Nothing turn 2 12 damage done from devils
Flametongue + rockbiter for 26 damage (10 from 1 devil, 16 from the other)

That's a total of 38 damage by the end of turn 3. I do not believe there is any combination of cards for any class that can produce more damage that fast, but I'd love to hear if someone else has any ideas.

Dahbomb

Double Rockbiter plus Abusive Sergeant will do more damage than Flametongue plus Rockbiter.

Turn 2 12 damage
Turn 3 12 damage done from one Dust Devil with one Rockbiter, 16 from the other with Rockbiter plus Abusive Sergeant.

Total 40 damage.

embalm

Doing the math, the most possible damage you could do by the end of turn 3 would be what embalm suggested:

Double Dust devil turn 1
Nothing turn 2 12 damage done from devils
Flametongue + rockbiter for 26 damage (10 from 1 devil, 16 from the other)

That's a total of 38 damage by the end of turn 3. I do not believe there is any combination of cards for any class that can produce more damage that fast, but I'd love to hear if someone else has any ideas.

The dream in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH1i9awgVxc

Opiate

Double Rockbiter plus Abusive Sergeant will do more damage than Flametongue plus Rockbiter.

Turn 2 12 damage
Turn 3 12 damage done from one Dust Devil with one Rockbiter, 16 from the other with Rockbiter plus Abusive Sergeant.

Total 40 damage.

Yep, good call.

G.ZZZ

Game don't need way for new players to get old cards. It just need different formats. Like, with the newest expansion, we could get a format where you can play only GvG and Blackrock and the newest expansion, or the two latest large set + last 2 adventures (if they continue to follow the Large set + adventure pattern). This way it'd solve the Dr. Boom problem as it would eventually rotate out and it'd avoid the game being stagnant in every kind of play.

Dahbomb

Game don't need way for new players to get old cards. It just need different formats. Like, with the newest expansion, we could get a format where you can play only GvG and Blackrock and the newest expansion, or the two latest large set + last 2 adventures (if they continue to follow the Large set + adventure pattern). This way it'd solve the Dr. Boom problem as it would eventually rotate out and it'd avoid the game being stagnant in every kind of play.
Blizzard would never do that because it splits the playerbase too much. Like they are very much against various tiers of match making and formats. I don't know where they mentioned it but I remember it coming up when they were making Ladders for D3.

Cat Party

That doesn't make sense because the best synergies use cards from multiple sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom