• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotchaye

That's an exaggeration. It's only not worth 100 gold if somebody has every GvG card they could ever want and has stopped buying GvG packs altogether. This is a really small portion of the population. Hell I'm sitting on over 10k dust and I still open GvG packs from time to time because I want every card in the set and I don't have them all yet. I'm only throwing about 100 gold into the next expansion piggy bank each week.

I don't think this makes sense. You're assuming people will buy GvG packs for 100 gold each until they have every GvG card they could ever want (this seems obviously untrue). You're assuming the present value of GvG packs that someone might purchase months from now is still 100 gold. You're ignoring that someone who plays a lot of Arena plans to get many more GvG packs without spending 100 gold specifically to purchase them.

Like, consider an alternative reward to 2 packs and some gold which is 1 pack and some gold plus 100. Do you really think that right after getting the latter reward most players would go buy one more pack than they'd otherwise have bought? If not, what's going on, in your view, if it's not that they'd rather have the gold than the pack?

I suppose I'm thinking of "most players" as "most players who get 10-12 wins in Arena" and not most players period. Certainly most of the entire playerbase is often happy to exchange 100 gold for either kind of pack and does so just about any time they have the gold to spare.

JERj4ga.png

Didn't think this deck was that great, but got 12-2 with it, probably because I only ran into one mage and he didn't draw flamestrike. I felt like it was the game giving me mercy after facing a shaman with 4 fire elementals.

Redemption does work in arena, I didn't know it could be so strong. People don't play around it at all

EDIT:

Also, Harrison got me way more value than I thought. I figured since it's a dead card vs mages and warriors don't really come up that often in Arena it wouldn't get much use, but it won me 2 games vs Rogues just by being insane value just from drawing 2 cards when killing a hero power dagger.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Guy plays Ragnaros, I play mine the next turn, mine misses the hit while his snipes mine.

baby raging. Though that was hilarious to see in arena.

manhack

So funny watching Patron warrior try to calculate lethal, miss lethal and rope their turns.

Best part is using faceless manipulator on their 16 attack frothing berserker with charge to kill them for exact lethal.

ViviOggi

So funny watching Patron warrior try to calculate lethal, miss lethal and rope their turns.

Best part is using faceless manipulator on their 16 attack frothing berserker with charge to kill them for exact lethal.
There are situations where it's virtually impossible to calculate lethal through 3-4 whirlwind effects and multiple deathrattles unless you've transcended the limits of humanity like Kolento-dono. We mortals just have to go for it and hope for the best.

gutshot

Guy plays Ragnaros, I play mine the next turn, mine misses the hit while his snipes mine.

baby raging. Though that was hilarious to see in arena.

I can do you one better. I play Rag against a Mage with no cards, my Rag goes face bringing him down to 7 health. Mage top decks Unstable Portal which gives him... Rag. His Rag snipes mine. Thankfully I still had a Shredder on my board and then topdecked Swipe for lethal or else I would have been so salty.

arimanius

So I need some help on which legendary I should craft. I have the ones below.

Vancleef, Grommash, Nat Pagle, Harrison Jones, Gazlowe, Sylvanas, and Dr. Boom.

Thinking Rags or maybe a class specific one. I don't have a favorite class tho. I have 2725 dust. Any ideas?

So I need some help on which legendary I should craft. I have the ones below.

Vancleef, Grommash, Nat Pagle, Harrison Jones, Gazlowe, Sylvanas, and Dr. Boom.

Thinking Rags or maybe a class specific one. I don't have a favorite class tho. I have 2725 dust. Any ideas?

Ragnaros, Alex or Thalnos, they are used in a lot of decks. I'm sitting on 3600 dust waiting for the next content drop instead of crafting Ysera, Sneed, Jones or Geddon right now. You might want to do that.

manhack

There are situations where it's virtually impossible to calculate lethal through 3-4 whirlwind effects and multiple deathrattles unless you've transcended the limits of humanity like Kolento-dono. We mortals just have to go for it and hope for the best.

Yeah Ive been testing out grim patron decks, so I feel the pain. Its funny that grim patron ia actually the 1st time a top tier meta deck is something I actually play against 1 in 40 games if that. My meta is zoolocks, mech mage, tempo mage, hybrid/face hunter and random priests

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Rag is a good choice. Very solid legendary that has found a home in all kinds of decks.

Alex and Ysera are also considerations but they're narrower than Rag is.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I was 1 win away from rank 4 until a fucking hunter juggled a knife in my face for exact lethal with hero power, i had 4 fucking minions fml. After that i lost 3 games in a row, i always tilt after being RNGd.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
How Life Tap has lasted this long without a nerf I will never know.

Warlock has a lot of shitty class cards. They would be one of the worst classes in the game if not for their hero power. Many of their minions would be horrible even as neutrals (Succubus, Felguard, Pit Lord) nevermind their value as class cards. Felguard might actually have one of the most crippling drawbacks a card can have in this game.

Warlock has a lot of shitty class cards. They would be one of the worst classes in the game if not for their hero power. Many of their minions would be horrible even as neutrals (Succubus, Felguard, Pit Lord) nevermind their value as class cards. Felguard might actually have one of the most crippling drawbacks a card can have in this game.

I disagree. Every class has at least some weak class cards (Recycle, Siege Engine, Eye for an Eye) that rarely see play.

Warlock has stuff like Imp Gang Boss, Imp-losion, Voidcaller (thus making Doomguard viable), two great class legendaries, Shadowflame. Even low cost cards like Flame Imp, Voidwalker, Power Overwhelming, Mortal Coil...

Really you aren't supposed to actually play a lot of the crippling cards, but get them onto the field through a different way, typically Voidcaller or Bane of Doom.

arimanius

Ragnaros, Alex or Thalnos, they are used in a lot of decks. I'm sitting on 3600 dust waiting for the next content drop instead of crafting Ysera, Sneed, Jones or Geddon right now. You might want to do that.

Didn't think about Thalnos or Alex. Do we know when the next content drop comes out?

Rag is a good choice. Very solid legendary that has found a home in all kinds of decks.

Alex and Ysera are also considerations but they're narrower than Rag is.

I did think about Ysera but like you said it's not at commonly played as Rag. So many choices. Lol

Didn't think about Thalnos or Alex. Do we know when the next content drop comes out?

No but sometime in July is a safe bet, going by the previous releases. I think Blizzard will be at the PC E3 event? Maybe something then. Granted that's just what I am doing since I have a lot of good legendaries to get me by already, AND that's also anticipating it will be another GvG style thing. Who knows what they will do?

ZealousD

I disagree. Every class has at least some weak class cards (Recycle, Siege Engine, Eye for an Eye) that rarely see play.

Warlock has stuff like Imp Gang Boss, Imp-losion, Voidcaller (thus making Doomguard viable), two great class legendaries, Shadowflame. Even low cost cards like Flame Imp, Voidwalker, Power Overwhelming, Mortal Coil...

Really you aren't supposed to actually play a lot of the crippling cards, but get them onto the field through a different way, typically Voidcaller or Bane of Doom.

The thing is, most warlock decks have had to rely heavily on their hero power to make them work. Their card quality has been improving, as the newer post BRM demolock have demonstrated, but even with the improving card quality, their decks are still very beatable despite how powerful the hero power is. Any nerf to life tap would just crush the life out of warlocks right now.

People are so quick to call nerfs on whatever the FotM is. Remember a few months ago when everybody was crying about Mechwarper and Goblin Blastmage? Hell, you barely even see Mech Mage on ladder nowadays. The deck was strong but not busted.

The only things that really need nerfs in the game right now are Mad Scientist and Dr. Boom, in that order.

The thing is, most warlock decks have had to rely heavily on their hero power to make them work. Their card quality has been improving, as the newer post BRM demolock have demonstrated, but even with the improving card quality, their decks are still very beatable despite how powerful the hero power is. Any nerf to life tap would just crush the life out of warlocks right now.

People are so quick to call nerfs on whatever the FotM is. Remember a few months ago when everybody was crying about Mechwarper and Goblin Blastmage? Hell, you barely even see Mech Mage on ladder nowadays. The deck was strong but not busted.

The only things that really need nerfs in the game right now are Mad Scientist and Dr. Boom, in that order.

I really don't think you can nerf hero powers, especially Warlock's. It's the heart of that class, maybe the only ones that rival being as important to the class are Rogue's and Hunter's, sometime Warrior.

And I would gladly take a Mad Scientist nerf. Make it like Voidcaller, at least. The value mages get off Mad Scientist is ridiculous. Imagine if they started giving Rogue secrets (why doesn't the sneaky class have secrets) and they cost 4 mana, but Mad Scientist was the same.

ZealousD

I really don't think you can nerf hero powers, especially Warlock's. It's the heart of that class, maybe the only ones that rival being as important to the class are Rogue's and Hunter's, sometime Warrior.

The Paladin hero power is gaining importance in the post-Quartermaster and Solemn Vigil world.

Fox1304

Holy crap I'm now turn 6 and have a hand full or spells with a single KT ... 8 cards in hand, no sign of any minion since start of the game :(

ZealousD

You're right. Before those two cards and Volcanic Drake I thought it was the weakest hero power besides Shaman.

Even before those two cards it was still quite good in my opinion. I feel like the weakest hero power is probably Druid, and has likely always been Druid. While there is power in having a ping available, the face damage adds up and it's not particularly strong when it hits the opponent's face.

Levi

Banned
Well, I don't know how far I'm going to get in arena when I pick Paladin and don't get any I Truesilvers and I don't get any consecrations. (I was actually offered Mage but I have the 60 gold paladin daily and it's my EU account where my Paladin hasn't even gotten to level 10 yet).

However, I do have 3 musters, 1 equality, a quartermaster, and a sea giant, plus a few blessings of kings. Hopefully the synergy with those cards will carry me to 5 or 6 wins.

Here's the deck, the cards that got cut off are 1 each of Blessing of Wisdom, Blessing of Might, Avenge and Sea Giant. What do you guys think? 5 wins doable?

pMbElO5.png

Edit: 6 wins.. one away from 7, which would be a personal record. I've done 6 twice before.

Edit: 6-3. Didn't draw any blessing of Kings my last game, which would have been lethal the last three turns. I had full health and the priest was at 5, but I ran out of cards (didn't draw cult master either) and couldn't close the game out.

ZealousD

Doing the 40 spells quest, I came to wonder...

Why do I have so many golden cards for the class I play the least?

Also running a golden violet teacher and golden azure drake. This is probably my shiniest deck.

My shinest deck is Mech Mage because I have double golden Piloted Shredder, double golden Goblin Blastmage, a golden snowchugger, a golden clockwork gnome, and a golden Mechanical Yeti. I hate playing the deck.

Levi

Banned
My shinest deck is Mech Mage because I have double golden Piloted Shredder, double golden Goblin Blastmage, a golden snowchugger, a golden clockwork gnome, and a golden Mechanical Yeti. I hate playing the deck.

Same here. Haven't crafted any gold mechs, but I pulled a bunch from packs.

Double golden Annoyotron, double golden Spider Tank, single Golden Tinkertown technician (The golden spare parts are cool as heck), double golden Healbot (those get a lot of use) and a single golden Snowchugger, and my favorite, two golden unstable portals. GVG packs love to give me golds, I don't have nearly that many classic golds.

Oh, and I have a golden Antonidas I pulled from a pack. ;) My mage is level 49 or so so I have lots of golden spells. By far my shiniest deck.

I don't run it, but I have a golden Enhance-o I can't bring myself to disenchant.

Levi

Banned
Currently roping every turn against a face hunter.

With a golden portrait.

In casual.

I added him after to compliment him on his skill at going face every turn, and he said I sucked because I wasn't legend ranked. :( Like it takes skill to hit legend as a face hunter.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can do you one better. I play Rag against a Mage with no cards, my Rag goes face bringing him down to 7 health. Mage top decks Unstable Portal which gives him... Rag. His Rag snipes mine. Thankfully I still had a Shredder on my board and then topdecked Swipe for lethal or else I would have been so salty.

That's great, good ol' portal. Sadly I didn't have an answer to his rag after mine got killed, and he kept getting my best minions so it was all downhill after there.

Every time I log on and play a few matches I realize why I rarely play much anymore. The game completely revolves around aggro and combo decks. If you play anything else you're just flat out putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Even Priest has resorted to aggro now lol. That's how bad it's gotten.

I finally started playing this game today. I want to punch that Rexxar guy so many times in his fucking piece of shit face.

Fixed

Speaking of Hunters, 9-2 right now in Arena and there are a lot of them. I'm not sure if I'm happy it's not Mage and pallies or sad its fucking hunters in arena now.

Welp... went 11-2 with that deck. Got completely decimated in the last match to some of the most bullshit RNG I've ever seen. 2 mad bombers and 2 madder bombers, all did the PERFECT thing in each scenario. And of course, garbage rewards. 200 gold. 80 dust. Fucking Crush.

Sigh. Maybe next time.

Durden77

Nah man

innkeeper.jpg

How could you not want to beat the ever living shit out of that? I mean look at him. His stupid fucking face. With his stupid fucking smile. Stupid fucking everything just looking at him just makes me RAAAH!!!

Game's pretty incredible tho no lie. I see how people go crazy over this.

johnsmith

remember me
Got gold Rogue. That leaves only 3, Mage, Paladin, and Shaman. I'll leave those until the next expansion. Done playing except for my dailies. I'm liable to quit the game once I get every gold hero portrait, unless they give me a new goal to work towards.

KuroNeeko

Man. If you're an average player and just playing to win - what's the point of not choosing Mage or Paladin in Arena?

I pick Rogue, Druid, and Shaman because I like them but just get trashed by cheap removal and minions.

Grats, Johnsmith!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom