• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

3-0

44JGjxA.png

nice fucking game

Minsc

Gold Member
Every time I log on and play a few matches I realize why I rarely play much anymore. The game completely revolves around aggro and combo decks. If you play anything else you're just flat out putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Even Priest has resorted to aggro now lol. That's how bad it's gotten.

Isn't this the same for all similar CCGs like MtG, etc? Combos win games by giving unfair advantages early on when conditions harder than "play 1 card on the 7th turn" are met, so people go for them.

ViviOggi

That's just bollocks, there's a variety of viable control and midrange options. I don't know what kind of Aggro Priestyou're talking about but that's hardly new, Undertaker Priest was a thing and even then an aggro variant existing doesn't mean Control Priest os suddenly trash. Also yeah, depending on your definition anything that isn't hyper-aggro can be called a combo deck as every deck relies on synergy to be competitive in constructed. Control Priest in particular has always been extremely reliant on combos.

ViviOggi

I was playing Priest, so a 4/4 isn't that easy to remove. I always prioritized the other minions he kept dropping while building my board until I got a value trade opportunity for the Ogre. Worst case for me he would have sniped a Cleric so whatever.

sibarraz

Banned
While the reaction was unnecessary, just curious why would you run handlock in casual. Even if you were just completing a quest there are far more efficient lock decks to do that with.

Honestly, I had never played the deck and I needed to learn how to use it properly, so it will be stupid to run the deck on ranked and lose points just because there is some unwritten code of honor rule that makes you a jerk if you run handlock on casual

Magnus

Fatigue mages are truly a cancer. Can't stand those matches. I'd almost rather take the FaceHunter beatdown because it's over faster.

On the plus side, I got half my 'Beat Down' quest done on that one absurd match (deal 100 damage to heroes).

monlo

I'm new to this game... just getting my heroes to level 10. What's the next step? Just gain gold/points to play arena and get random cards/decks?

Cagey

Banned
Anyone else take the approach of never using gold cards?

I hated using foils or foreign versions of cards in live MTG tournaments back in my day (15 years ago at this point, I feel old). All it denoted to my opponent was an additional familiarity with the game that wasn't beneficial to me for him to know.

I'd rather people think I'm a scrub ass scrub.

ViviOggi

PSA: probably legendary day on EU right now. Saw two Paladin kids, one with Cairne & Mimiron's Head and one with turn 7 Boom. It's possible that they kept their runs from the weekend though.

gutshot

PSA: probably legendary day on EU right now. Saw two Paladin kids, one with Cairne & Mimiron's Head and one with turn 7 Boom. It's possible that they kept their runs from the weekend though.

Started a run on EU today and didn't get any legendaries although I did get an Ancient of Lore and Force of Nature. No Savage Roars though.

Haven't run into any legendaries yet either but now I'm nervous.

br3wnor

I hated using foils or foreign versions of cards in live MTG tournaments back in my day (15 years ago at this point, I feel old). All it denoted to my opponent was an additional familiarity with the game that wasn't beneficial to me for him to know.

For casual yeah, but since most of my play is in ranked mode, once you're in the higher ranks I don't think it's really an advantage. I also love how some of the gold cards look so I use as many as possible.

Hektor

Nah, golden Cards are too beautiful to not use them. I even crafted 2 golden Mad scientists yesterday that i can put into my majonnaise-mage.

Also, Worgen infiltrator = best golden common in game.

Sande

This is why I use the vanilla blue card back. It's not like you really get to see your own card back anyway.

Gold cards are just too purdy not to use.

Kweh

A Priest just played 2 Vol'jins against me in constructed. I'm trying to figure out how that's possible?

EDIT : Ah nm, just remembered he had Chromaggus. Doh!

Hektor

A Priest just played 2 Vol'jins against me in constructed. I'm trying to figure out how that's possible?

Chromaggus?
Or you had a voljin and he thoughtstole/Mindvisioned it?
Nefarian into Unstable portal/Duplicate/echo of medivh/Gang up?
Ressurect?

Cagey

Banned
This is why I use the vanilla blue card back. It's not like you really get to see your own card back anyway.

Gold cards are just too purdy not to use.

The card back point is a great one that I forgot to include. I use the vanilla card back, as well.

ViviOggi

At least you got a Legendary (or 400 dust). Beats getting a fucking Golden Uncommon.

Haha yeah, that post was just a facetious follow-up to yesterday. While I would have preferred a bigger gold payout I can't seriously complain about ~300g and 400 dust.

Mirimar

Aww yea, pulled a Ysera from a single pack today. Now I don't have the hard choice between that card and Black Knight.

Actually, is Black Knight even still relevant in this meta? I may need to consider another legendary to craft if not..

johnsmith

remember me
Aww yea, pulled a Ysera from a single pack today. Now I don't have the hard choice between that card and Black Knight.

Actually, is Black Knight even still relevant in this meta? I may need to consider another legendary to craft if not..

As long as people are still running sludge belcher it's always relevant.

Pulled a Pagle recently and on a random whim I decided to throw him into my Shaman deck. He has been putting in a ridiculous amount work for me so far. Majority of the time I'm getting several draws off him. Just played against a Priest where I played him on turn 2 and he lived the entire game (which lasted 8 turns). Feel like I've kind of been misled about Pagle being awful.

ViviOggi

Right now Harrison/Kezan seem like the slightly better tech choice but honestly unless you only run into Hunter and Patron TBK is never useless. Belcher is still massively popular, Druid is doing well and even just sniping an Annoyotron in the later stages of a Mech Mage/Shaman match can be clutch.

Mirimar

As long as people are still running sludge belcher it's always relevant.

Right now Harrison/Kezan seem like the slightly better tech choice but honestly unless you only run into Hunter and Patron TBK is never useless. Belcher is still massively popular, Druid is doing well and even just sniping an Annoyotron in the later stages of a Mech Mage/Shaman match can be clutch.

I haven't been using much of Harrison lately, but I did notice some Patron decks now running belchers. Seems to be a good idea, so I probably will still end up crafting a Black Knight.

johnsmith

remember me

Patrons can run dread corsair and sludge belcher. Midrange hunter sometimes uses sludge belchers and houndmaster and misha. The only meta deck where it's useless is pure face hunter, and even they get misha once in a while.

V-Faction

Defense: Warrior, Priest (2 arm, 2 heal)
Damage: Mage, Hunter (1 any, 2 face)
Minion: Shaman, Paladin (0/2, 1/1)
Removal: Druid, Rogue (wep, attack)
Draw: Warlock (-2 health)

Static: Hunter, Paladin, Warrior, Druid, Warlock
Dynamic: Mage, Shaman, Priest, Rogue

I love the Hearthstone classes and their hero powers. So full of character, so full of creativity. Constructing an appropriate theme around a limited base restriction of power with unlimited uses is so interesting. It is by far one of the coolest things about HS.

If/When we get another expansion, I hope there are more cards dedicated to affecting/altering the hero powers in more ways. More stuff like Priest's Shadowform or the Hunter card Steamwheedle Sniper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom