• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Anyone in here make Legend? What are your tips and tricks for someone at Rank 2 (10 wins away)?
What's your deck? Generally I have seen that at those Ranks the game tends to slow down and it's more control oriented. You see less Mech Mages and more Control Warrior/Handlocks. At below Rank 5 it's better to use a higher winrate deck like Handlock over a fast deck like Face Hunter. Most people who get this far usually have decks that are good against fast decks anyway.

It's really a matter of tenacity and keeping your composure. For me the hardest thing was battling ladder anxiety. I would win a game and then not want to play the next because I was afraid of losing my position.

Granted I have only made Ladder once and it was easier before than it is nowadays but the concepts are generally the same I feel.

ViviOggi

Anyone in here make Legend? What are your tips and tricks for someone at Rank 2 (10 wins away)?
I don't think there's any general advice when you've already made it to rank 2. There's virtually no difference between rank 4 to low legend players in terms of skill, just be patient and don't play on tilt, you'll get there.

Anything more specific we'd need to know your list and what you're struggling against.

Minsc

Gold Member

I made it with Zoolock one or two seasons ago (well a more midrange Zoolock, had Jones, Loatheb, TBK and Boom to finish games with, but just one Doom Guard, I didn't like having two to deal with). It was basically like a 10-0 run, after spending 10 hours climbing and falling with various slower midrange/control decks.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just had someone play Kezan after popping my secret just beforehand on the same turn. What the fuck.

I also joined the dark side and picked Mage in arena. Zero flamestrikes, but I have ragnaros, 4 water eles and 2 fireballs.

tylerf

Three times this week I drafted a deck with 2 flamestrikes and 1 blizzard. All three times I got at least 10 wins. Every other run was either 4 or 5. Mage is carrying me.

Raxus

I really wish they'd change the arena pool and make flamestrike an epic quality card. It would give arena's some variety than mage mage mage warlock priest mage mage mage.

Alrus

I really wish they'd change the arena pool and make flamestrike an epic quality card. It would give arena's some variety than mage mage mage warlock priest mage mage mage.

It would make Arena more fun/varied and it wouldn't affect anything else and it's such a simple change (make it a rare even). But Blizzard doesn't seem to give a shit about arena so it's never going to happen, and nobody ever seem to ask them about arena balancing unfortunately.

KuroNeeko

I wonder if they'll do anything to battle the glut of mages in Arena.

edit: Oh, I see someone else has brought the topic up. lol

Feels bad losing to Deathwing in Arena but...it's Deathwing...

Dahbomb

I think Flamestrike being Rare is fine. Blizzard is fine in Arena, you don't tend to play around it and it works out fine.

Just an aside to this arena balance idea and how it's kind of similar to an idea players always suggested. In WoW PvP there were always spells/abilities that were crazy good against other players but they were never changed/nerf'd because they were integral to how a class played in PvE. Players would say an easy change would just make the spells function differently in the different areas of the game. The usual response was that they didn't want things to function differently since it wouldn't feel the same gameplay wise or whatnot. It's something I understand more now than befor. Granted, these are very two different games, both with very different focuses.

Of course, changing the rarity doesn't change how a spell work. However, it would change how that class gets drafted, what people expect from a class in arena, and how it would function overall. Maybe it's something that should happen and would make the game better but I'm just thinking it's a long shot for it to happen.

Should add I'm not big on arena, so I don't know the full extent of its frustration. It would be cool to see it refined and improved in some fashion though.

TheMink

Finally got 1600 dust. Should i make Sylvanas or Dr. Boom?
I play Control Pally. I have Tirion already.

I realize the obvious answer is Boom, but idk maybe there are some other things i dont know.

Edit: also i need the spectate quest if anyone is up for it.

Dahbomb

I think Blizzard will just continue to "balanced" Arena by diluting the pool of cards. More cards in the pool = less Flamestrikes to draft.

I realize the obvious answer is Boom, but idk maybe there are some other things i dont know.
The obvious answer is the right one.

TheMink

I think Blizzard will just continue to "balanced" Arena by diluting the pool of cards. More cards in the pool = less Flamestrikes to draft.

The obvious answer is the right one.

Hehe good, going for it!

What should i replace?:

1yFkMdS.png

KuroNeeko

"I have no time for games!"

-or-

"I dream and the world trembles!"

Don't be a lamer!

Raxus

I think Flamestrike being Rare is fine. Blizzard is fine in Arena, you don't tend to play around it and it works out fine.

Flamestrike isn't rare, it's a common/set item at the moment. Hence why people draft 2-3 in every mage arena. Setting it to rare would put them in line with shaman where the AoE clear would only come up once at best.

Dahbomb

Flamestrike isn't rare, it's a common/set item at the moment. Hence why people draft 2-3 in every mage arena. Setting it to rare would put them in line with shaman where the AoE clear would only come up once at best.
That's what I am saying. I am saying it being a Rare is fine vs making it an Epic which you suggested which is kinda going over the top.

What should i replace?
Boulderfist or Stormwind.

Dr. Boom is somewhat optional for paladin. I've hit legend without boom, before I crafted him, so he is certainly not necessary to have for control paladin.

Sylvanas is solid though. I don't always run it, but I do sometimes. It is mainly going to get silenced, making your tirion a stronger card that can win you the game.

Black knight is also pretty good in paladin imo. Good for heavy paladin mirrors and for druids. Lots of decks still run belcher as well and belcher can be annoying when you don't have a truesilver champion.

Harrison jones is another good paladin legendary card. It is okay vs hunter and rogue but you really include it for paladin, warrior, and if doomhammer shaman ever gets played again. Sometimes wins you the game against handlocks running jaraxus.
thinking.gif

TheMink

I have no idea how much credibility either of you have in this game, so I'm very torn right now. It took me a long time to get 1600 dust haha, want to make the right decision. XD

KuroNeeko

I have no idea how much credibility either of you have in this game, so I'm very torn right now. It took me a long time to get 1600 dust haha, want to make the right decision. XD

lol

When you said "either" you included me, right? RIGHT?

There's no "right" answer. Think about your past matches and try to recall which card you wish you'd had more often. The sad truth is that most competitive decks run Dr. Boom now - more so than Sylvanas. Still, I think Sylvanas will always be a useful legendary. Personally, I just like Sylvanas more. Dr. Boom just looks stupid.

Craft the one you want / like more. You may also wish to take into consideration which packs you buy more frequently, GxG or Classic.

Good luck and when it doubt - go Ysera!

Seriously, wtf to this 0-2 start in arena.

First opponent has 2x mad scientist, 2x freezing trap, AND Onyxia.

Second opponent has 2x water elemental, 2x flamestrike, 1x blizzard, AND Leeroy.

Kornflayx

Just won against a Handlock who was farming his golden portrait at Rank 19 with my basic Mage deck. The salt in his hate message afterwards was real :D

Seriously, wtf to this 0-2 start in arena.

First opponent has 2x mad scientist, 2x freezing trap, AND Onyxia.

Second opponent has 2x water elemental, 2x flamestrike, 1x blizzard, AND Leeroy.

Honestly, that's not really that out of the ordinary. Only Blizzard is rare, and the two legendaries are mediocre (though Onyxia is a bit more decent in Arena).

The good news is that 0-2 matches tend to be cake, so keep that chin up! ^_^

Made it to rank 7 with a Zoo/Midrange Lock. I think that's my highest rank yet. So easy compared to the Druid decks I used to run. I don't know if I'll have the time or willpower to hit legend though :(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I will never understand people who complain about the rewards they get when they get 10-12 wins.

The arena paid for itself, and you essentially got the equivalent of 300 gold and 50 dust of rewards as pure profit. And you're complaining, why?

Agraavan

I will never understand people who complain about the rewards they get when they get 10-12 wins.

The arena paid for itself, and you essentially got the equivalent of 300 gold and 50 dust of rewards as pure profit. And you're complaining, why?

It is a profit, no question about it, but it's a damn crap one, for all the "trouble" you went through.

I enjoy doing arena and "don't mind" the reward being so bad, but I definitely think it should be beefier.

daemissary

Arena rewards are the last thing I would say is a problem. What about rewards for climbing the ladder every month? As of now, there is no real incentive to hit legendary more than once ever.

ZealousD

It is a profit, no question about it, but it's a damn crap one, for all the "trouble" you went through.

1. If you think you're putting forth a lot of effort by playing where you go on a streak with an 85% winrate, you should probably stop playing Hearthstone, because you're clearly not having any fun.
2. People freaking it love it when they get the Total Dominance quest, and that's 7 wins which becomes 120 gold in Constructed. This was 12 wins for 300 gold and 50 dust. That's even better! That's not even taking into account that your winrate is going to be higher in arena.

Kifimbo

Arena rewards are the last thing I would say is a problem. What about rewards for climbing the ladder every month? As of now, there is no real incentive to hit legendary more than once ever.

Don't most people who reach Legend already have all the cards ? What type of rewards do you propose ?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Don't most people who reach Legend already have all the cards ?

I doubt that's true. You would think it looking at Legend streamers, but they're only a fraction of all the Legend climbers in the game, and they spend a lot of money on cards because it is, in a way, their day job. For others who're not dropping hundreds of dollars on this game, they probably get to Legend off the back of two or three classes.

Gotchaye

Well, because that reward isn't worth nearly 450 gold and 50 dust (well, it's worth the dust, obviously). A GvG pack isn't worth 100 gold to most players. The proof is that they have a few hundred or thousand gold on their accounts that they haven't spent on GvG packs. Maybe they're saving up for the next expansion. Maybe they're not actually reliably profitable in Arena and need as big of a reward as they can get to become on-average gold-positive.

Sure, it's a little first world problemsy to publicly complain about only getting an extra pack and a little more gold for going 12 wins, but that's not actually a great reward for 12 wins and it's reasonable to hope for better and to be disappointed when that's what you get.

daemissary

Don't most people who reach Legend already have all the cards ? What type of rewards do you propose ?

I'm legend right now and I haven't spent a dime on the game and definitely don't have all of the cards. I just have all of the cards to make a really solid zoo deck.

I'm not sure what the rewards should be but they don't need to be major...maybe something like 10g for every rank you hit above 20 and an additional 100g for hitting legend.

ZealousD

A GvG pack isn't worth 100 gold to most players.

That's an exaggeration. It's only not worth 100 gold if somebody has every GvG card they could ever want and has stopped buying GvG packs altogether. This is a really small portion of the population. Hell I'm sitting on over 10k dust and I still open GvG packs from time to time because I want every card in the set and I don't have them all yet. I'm only throwing about 100 gold into the next expansion piggy bank each week.

It takes a special kind of stubbornness to get a golden portrait with Shaman.
I have a golden Shaman, it was my second one. Stubborn is also a perfect way to describe how I play to. Getting close to having a golden Priest. Not sure what I'll play after that, hopefully we'll get info on the next update so I can speculate on what to play.

Raxus

A combo of rush and Blizzard having no clue what to give shamans killed them harder than priest in the current meta.

Mech, murloc, overload. They just need dragon class cards and they can have several useless variants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom