• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

embalm

I'm kind of luke warm on all 3. The mage card is kind of cool but I think it is difficult to fit non-mech creatures in mech mage even if it does have spare parts. Plus you usually want those spare parts to become fireballs, not arcane missiles. It will make for some good videos of crazy late game spells going off though.

Core Rager also doesn't look amazing. I feel like any situation where you would want to play this thing you would be better off with fel reaver. Core Rager technically can come out a turn earlier but even the faciest of face hunters will have a hard time consistently dumping their hand by turn 4. Not to mention unless you play hunter's mark or can coin a blind draw 1 drop, you actually have to fully dump your hand on turn 3 and then blind draw into Core Rager. The more I think about this card the more I think it sucks.

edit: eh, my opinion of imp gang boss is increasing a little as I stew on it more. If we assume that it will tend to be killed in a single hit, then its still 3/5 of value for 3 mana. So I see it being powerful in arena. But it still doesn't 'feel' strong in current constructed warlock decks. Warlock decks aren't really about cards with good value. Warlock decks are about cheating the rules of the game in different ways and this card doesn't help cheat. Zoo doesn't really want it because it is slow. Demon lock doesn't want too many demons in it because you need your void callers to be pulling down your 9 mana demons. And handlock doesn't want it because it just doesn't really do anything to promote the handlock game plan.
I agree that Firewaker is not going to make the cut in mech mage. The deck has too few spells and the card has no synergy with the deck other than taking spare parts away from Antonidas.
That's why I said it fits better in the Tempo/Secret/Portal mage decks that are close to great but not super popular. It might be enough to make those decks really good.

I agree that core rager is not great, it's a good arena card where 4/4 for 4 can be a great play and top decking a 7/7 no matter the mana cost can win you the game.

Zoo is all about slow cards and value plays, especially ones that leave bodies for them. That's why they run Egg, Implosion, and Spiders; The only fast cards they run are the Doomguard and Flame Imp, and those are value cards meant to control the board from beginning to end. Harvest Golem will probably get cut for the Imp, the 2/4 surviving an attack and the chance for multiple 1/1s beat the harvestG's death rattle.
As for Demonlock, you're right that that I want the dream, but if I have a 2/4 and some 1/1s on the board Malganis wouldn't be as bad to play as a 9 drop, if you get the value out of your +2/+2 buffed demons. So it's minus some value and gain some value. I'll try it out for sure because of the lack of 3 drops in the deck.

I love theory crafting and I hope the Pally and Priest cards have some dragons, let's see some tribes for the control decks.

Flamewalker will like bring about the revival of the old burn mage archetype.

If you're going second as a mage you get 4 cards + 3 draws by turn 3. So 7 cards + coin.

Here is a dream scenario:
Turn 1 mana wyrm, turn 2 sorceress apprentice, turn 3 flamewalker + coin + frost bolt, ice lance x2, arcane missiles.

So mana wyrm hits for 1 on turn 2.

But turn three you get 3 from apprentice, 3 from frost bolt, 8 from two ice lances, 6 from mana wyrm, 3 from arcane missiles and 10 damage from five flamewalker activations = 33 damage.

34 damage by turn 3.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Zoo is all about slow cards and value plays, especially ones that leave bodies for them. That's why they run Egg, Implosion, and Spiders; The only fast cards they run are the Doomguard and Flame Imp, and those are value cards meant to control the board from beginning to end. Harvest Golem will probably get cut for the Imp, the 2/4 surviving an attack and the chance for multiple 1/1s beat the harvestG's death rattle.
Slow was the wrong word to use for zoo. What I mean is that zoo wants its 3+ mana cards to have an immediate impact on the board. Shattered Sun, Dark Iron, Loatheb, Doomguard, Argus, all have dramatic impacts on the turn played. Harvest golem I think is already not very good and I personally stopped using it in Zoo a long time ago. If people are still using harvest golem then sure this new card might be a minor upgrade but I think most zoo decks would be better off just playing another 1/2 drop instead or teching in like a black knight.

edit: the reason why harvest golem was still being run in zoo a while ago was because of undertaker synergy. Not because harvest golem is really good in zoo.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I feel like Shattered Sun Cleric is not an important card in zoo. I would run both Imp Gang Boss and Harvest Golem. I like it when zoo is super sticky. Means you'll always have a board to trade with.

Course I also prefer Piloted Shredder to Dark Iron Dwarf. I just like the sticky stuff. Makes AoEs super tough.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I feel like Shattered Sun Cleric is not an important card in zoo. I would run both Imp Gang Boss and Harvest Golem. I like it when zoo is super sticky. Means you'll always have a board to trade with.

Course I also prefer Piloted Shredder to Dark Iron Dwarf. I just like the sticky stuff. Makes AoEs super tough.
Do you not use nerubian egg then? I think shattered sun/dwarf buffs are going to become even more important after the expansion with the addition of dragon egg.

ViviOggi

Do you not use nerubian egg then? I think shattered sun/dwarf buffs are going to become even more important after the expansion with the addition of dragon egg.
I don't think Dragon Egg is ever worth the effort unless it synergizes well with some of the yet to be revealed cards.

ZealousD

I have two argus, two abusive sergeants, two dire wolves, and a PO. That's enough activators i feel. Maybe having the DID is more consistent for Nerubian egg, but I don't think egg is that bad without it. Nerubian egg just becomes more of a late game AoE protection than usual.

Dragon egg is worthless in zoo. There's no way to ping your own egg so you'll only get a 2/1 out of it consistently, which isn't good enough. Best you can hope for is making it a 1/3 and maybe you get 2 but that won't happen most of the time. Too slow and not value enough. Dragon Egg is at best an aggro warrior card.

I want to use unstable ghoul, but I don't know what to cut. I'm already favored vs face with my current build, so no real need to tech harder for that matchup. Maybe if I was facing more paladins too. This is the list I'm running. I also want to add another shieldmaiden, but again, not sure what to cut.

FD6Rltt.png

I just tried to fit it in and this is what I got.

Oh god Fatigue Mage is so fun at ruining dreams. I played against a Void Terror/Deathrattle Warclock who managed to get a huge Terror that he then facelessed and two Thaddiuses during the game using faceless as well. He got me down to 6hp when he ran out of cards and I was able to keep everything either frozen or behind taunts the whole game. Dude pulled off some sick combos and I just freeze and taunt all day. I could feel the salt coming through the screen, lol.

Fixed1979

Oh god Fatigue Mage is so fun at ruining dreams. I played against a Void Terror/Deathrattle Warclock who managed to get a huge Terror that he then facelessed and two Thaddiuses during the game using faceless as well. He got me down to 6hp when he ran out of cards and I was able to keep everything either frozen or behind taunts the whole game. Dude pulled off some sick combos and I just freeze and taunt all day. I could feel the salt coming through the screen, lol.

You're a terrible person.

Danj

I would suggest checking your deck composition a bit. Each "Trump Teachings" video ends with a good starter deck using basic cards for the classes.

It's going to be hard to trade efficiently with things like Salty Dog or the 1/4 flier. Cogmaster also isn't a great choice unless you have a ton of mechs.

One of the later videos also goes over when it's a good time to go for the face versus when it isn't.

At least watch Video 5 (favorable trading).

It looks like your deck needs to be retuned. Post a screenshot. A better deck will help you hold board better. That 1/4 with windfury isn't helping, for example.

Copy the deck he used as well...there's a few changes you can make to it as you go along, but some of your card choices may really be hampering your ability to keep up with your opponents play.

It works fine. You are probably making other mistakes. Like I said, I see some bad cards in your hand. You should post your deck, and people will give suggestions.

You are using horrible cards which will always trade badly with opponent's ones. No strategy would work with some of those cards.

Look up some good basic decks. A lot of basic cards are very good, but things like Salty Dog? Cogmaster without any mech? Lord of the Arena? Those are unusable even in Arena.

I want to add that you should try not to take all this criticism about your cards as forcing you buy ton of good cards before you can win.

Arcane Missiles
Frostbolt
Arcane Intellect
Fireball
Polymorph
Water Elemental
Flamestrike

Acidic Swamp Ooze
Bloodfen Raptor
Novice Engineer
Kobold Geomancer
Razorfen Hunter
Shattered Sun Cleric
Chillwind Yeti
Gnomish Inventor
Sen'jin Shieldmasta
Gurubashi Berserker
Archmage
Boulderfist Ogre
Stormwind Champion

All those are pretty decent basic cards every player has and is worth considering over some of the cards you have right now. That Force-Tank max shown is the only non-basic card shown that's worth keeping I'd say.

If you're willing to craft some commons I'd also recommend:
Mana Wyrm
Sorcerer's Apprentice
Snowchugger
Harvest Golem
Spider Tank

Thanks everyone that replied to my posts, sorry if I am sounding like a whiny noob or something.

I did try the Mage deck recommended in the Trump Teachings Mage episode. As far as I can tell from trying to play with it, there is just not enough ways to defend myself from enemy minions, which no matter how much I try to clear the board, results in my health being zero before the enemy's.

All the "good" Mage decks I have seen seem to require thousands of dust points to put together, so that's not happening any time soon, but I've tried crafting a few cards I liked the look of, with some success - I managed to get to rank 17 now, though I don't know if I can hold on to it.

Here's what I have:

EDIT: you can actually see my most recent games with this deck on Twitch.

You're a terrible person.
Haha, I know.

It feels dirty when I crush someones perfect combo they probably loved to pull off but I feel like a saint when I wipe Mech Mage boards over and over.

I just faced one who managed to get like 4 Fireballs from his Archmage and he still couldn't take me down.

Novak

Hi, I just started playing this few days ago and this is my first card game, so I am still learning.
I mostly play as Mage since it was in tutorial, and I got it to rank 19 with basic cards (i copied the deck from a beginners guide)

In the last pack (got it for beating all expert AI) I got epic priest card Golden Mindgames. To me it looks very random and not very useful, but I am a beginner :)
Should I disenchant it for 400 AD points?
If yes, what should I create for first? I would prefer something for all classes or Mage.

The only legendary card I have is Cairne Bloodhoof.
And only other epic is Doomsayer.

thanks.

ViviOggi

Thanks everyone that replied to my posts, sorry if I am sounding like a whiny noob or something.

I did try the Mage deck recommended in the Trump Teachings Mage episode. As far as I can tell from trying to play with it, there is just not enough ways to defend myself from enemy minions, which no matter how much I try to clear the board, results in my health being zero before the enemy's.

All the "good" Mage decks I have seen seem to require thousands of dust points to put together, so that's not happening any time soon, but I've tried crafting a few cards I liked the look of, with some success - I managed to get to rank 17 now, though I don't know if I can hold on to it.

Here's what I have:

You're still going on about defending yourself, that is simply not how Hearthstone works

What defends you from enemy minions is a strong board and you're never going to get that with a hodgepodge of low value cards (this does not mean legendaries, you don't need expensive cards to get to at least rank ~12 playing a control-ish value game - cheap established archetypes like Face/Aggro Hunter and Zoo variants can get you to legend faster than the most expensive decks)

Read this and the following posts: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=156733243#post156733243

You don't have enough for Mech Mage at this point, what you want is consistent synergy and that is just not a given with single copies of a handful of mechs. Cogmaster and Mechwarper are not going to get value often enough to justify running them.

There are way, way, way to many one-ofs in your deck, inexplicably so. You want to fill every slot with the best minions you can get for the cost. Water Ele, Sen'jin, Shattered Sun, Yeti - these are some of the most solid basic minions in the game and the meat of your midgame, you want to draw these in time out of 30 cards. There is no reason whatsoever to reduce those chances by including only one copy of each. Situational cards like Healbot or Ooze, those are what you'd run single copies of so they don't clutter up your hand early when you don't need them.

Hi, I just started playing this few days ago and this is my first card game, so I am still learning.
I mostly play as Mage since it was in tutorial, and I got it to rank 19 with basic cards (i copied the deck from a beginners guide)

In the last pack (got it for beating all expert AI) I got epic priest card Golden Mindgames. To me it looks very random and not very useful, but I am a beginner :)
If yes, what should I create for first? I would prefer something for all classes or Mage.

thanks.

That's correct, Mindgames is trash and an easy disenchant. I'd keep the dust for now until you're somewhat sure of which decks you want to focus on, but if you're itching to craft something one of the most essential neutral epics would be Big Game Hunter.

CoolOff

thanks.

Yes, disenchant it and craft some useful rares for all classes, or save up for some key legendary. This early on I'd do the first one just to pad your collection.

Knife Juggler, Defender of Argus, Azure Drake are all good things to have, especially the last two with the Azure Drake being really good for a Mage with lots of spells.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Here's what I have:

Try watching videos 4 and 8 and see how Trump whittles his own life down with weapon attacks in order to maintain board control and win the game despite getting notable life loss.

Your health is a resource, and you can use it to win the game if you do so judiciously. Taking a bunch of damage isn't a huge issue it puts you significantly in the lead.

Later on when you start fighting combo druids or oil rogues or freeze mages, yes there are certain things you need to keep in mind, but you're not going to do that at the start.

That said, you might want to start with Paladin instead. They have a lot of good board control in a way that might prove more obvious than Mage, and have very strong starter cards.

Type2

Having a blast with my new legendary:
G8BTH7I.png

So far ive only lost to a druid combo and a misplay against another lock where I was off by 1 point. Math is normally my strong suite and I had a better play available had I not gone for the face with poor addition. Implosion gods be damned!

ViviOggi

Having a blast with my new legendary:
G8BTH7I.png

So far ive only lost to a druid combo and a misplay against another lock where I was off by 1 point. Math is normally my strong suite and I had a better play available had I not gone for the face with poor addition. Implosion gods be damned!

HIEHUHEIAHEHHAHEUH

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Here's what I have:

That's pretty good for someone just starting out playing with a deck that's honestly not so great. But your play can still use some work.

Game 1:

Your tempo was off from the start thanks to playing annoy-o-tron on an empty board. If you are going to use annoy-o-tron, try to use him to protect your minions, not your face. He was able to use your opening passiveness to build up a board that is very hard to break. It's a prime example of the best defense being a good offense where Ooze probably was the better choice off the bat, with annoy-o-tron being second.

Game 2:

You had strong tempo up until turn 5, where you went face instead of protecting your 5-1 minion. This allowed him to take the initiative to trade efficiently, and you lost your momentum. Defend your 5/1 minion by using your 2/3 on the 2/2, and get rid of the divine shield by hitting it with your 1/2. Even with the freedom to use his weapon, he wouldn't be able to clear your board while keeping his 6-3 at full health.

You also chose to play the 6-5 Lord of the Arena instead of a 4/7 Archmage. The 5 health of the minion you played ended up being dealt with easily, while the 4/7 might not have.

Game 5:

You were keeping good tempo again until faced with a tough turn facing a Mark of the Wild-Echoing Ooze. Your solution was to do nothing but fireblast a 2-1, and that allowed him to snowball it out of control. You should have at least killed a 3-4 Ooze with your 4-1, and probably kill the other 3-4 with your 3-2 and hero power, instead of letting your 4-1 get killed for free by the druid hero power and your 3-2 killed for free by the 3-4.

A 3-2 and a 2-1 is a lot less scary than a 3-2, 3-4, and 3-1 which all happens with just good choices on where you attack, and is something you might not have to flamestrike after all, depending on what he does.

You might have planned on using a flamestrike next turn and thought you might be in a better place if the druid went face and left your minions alive, but you can't rely on your opponent making bad plays if you want to climb the ranks past the point where your opponents are bad. Players will know flamestrike is likely going to be on turn 7, unless you're netdecking something everyone knows doesn't run flamestrike.

You also had a chance to come back with the second flamestrike, but you used it after fireblasing the 5/1, which ended up leaving a 4-1 on board that could have been fireblasted instead.

It'll come easier with experience, but all of these mistakes lead to more damage being put on your face than you needed, because you left more minions alive to attack your face than you needed. Like everyone is saying, your only problem with defense is not effectively killing minions while keeping the pressure up.

JesseZao

Has this been in the client forever and I just didn't notice?

When you hover over your gold, it will tell you how many wins you are at out of 3 and how much you have earned towards the 100g daily limit.

JesseZao

Screenshot? I don't see this.

I tried to screenshot it, but it didn't get picked up for whatever reason (different layer I guess?). I can't make a snip because I have to be hovering over it.

I'll try again.

If you're in windowed, make sure you have focus on the hs client.

EDIT: Okay, I'm dumb. It's part of Hearthstone Deck Tracker. It's getting the information from the client, so I really wish it was just natively displayed. I'll take a picture.

slwMlyC.jpg

Pretty handy.

ZealousD

I'm seeing a lot of bad plays here man.

I know you said you watched one of the Trump Teachings videos. You should watch them all. I'm seeing a lot of bad responses to the enemy board, ignoring favorable trades. Lot of mistakes.

johnsmith

remember me
I tried to screenshot it, but it didn't get picked up for whatever reason (different layer I guess?). I can't make a snip because I have to be hovering over it.

I'll try again.

If you're in windowed, make sure you have focus on the hs client.

EDIT: Okay, I'm dumb. It's part of Hearthstone Deck Tracker. It's getting the information from the client, so I really wish it was just natively displayed. I'll take a picture.

slwMlyC.jpg

Pretty handy.

Figures it was a 3rd party program providing the info. Just another example of basic features the game is still missing a year after release.

gutshot

Here's what I have:

In addition to some of the other misplays you are making in terms of board and tempo, you are also making silly little mistakes like not playing your Archmage before casting Frostbolt and not attacking with your Sea Giant before bouncing it back to your hand.

My advice would be to just slow down and really think through your plays. You seem to be rushing for some reason and making a lot of mistakes as a result.

Yeah, you just create a new deck but don't put any cards into it, back out and say yes when it asks you about filling in the rest of the deck. Voila, randomly generated deck.

Oh, I was hoping you could make a random deck with cards you didn't own yet to use just for fun against friends lol

Like free arena, hah

Xanathus

Alright, times up! Here are top 3 entries in my 10 dollah giveaway contest for the most believable fake Blackrock Mountain expansion card. Unfortunately one entry had to be disqualified because it's image link died, sorry Dahbomb!

And the third place goes to gutshot for Stone Drake!
My entry into xanathus' card competition:

J67wsIz.png

I liked the idea of a mostly defensive card similar to Ancient Watcher only I wanted to make it slightly less awkward to play. Figured I'd make it a dragon since we know there will be more of those and we don't have any 6 mana cost dragons yet. Statwise, it is reconfigured Boulderfist with Taunt. Of course, the Taunt comes with a drawback so I think it is fairly balanced. No idea if this would see any play or not. Maybe in a Ramp Druid deck?

Second place goes to ZealousD for Blackwing Drake!
For Xanthus's contest: I decided to make two!

tjdqPrz.png

I made a Blackwing Drake to be kind of an alternate Azure Drake, for classes that can't utilize spellpower very well. It.... might be OP? I'm unsure how often the enrage effect would come into play. It would stick the card into BGH range, which is an interesting side effect.

Vaelastrasz was meant to fit the theme of his WoW encounter. He basically has Ysera's Nightmare as a battlecry. I wasn't sure how powerful Nightmare would actually be if it was a card by itself, 2 or 3 mana I guess, so I'm not particularly confident with the stats. I think he's strong, if maybe a tad bit clunky.

And the winner is.... Rapstah for Feldrake!
Here's a fake Warlock card for once since I think the joke of making slightly too good Hunter cards is running dry:

8609c3a4.png

I know it's another midrange Warlock card with a crippling drawback (and we already have like six of those), but I couldn't resist thinking about the drawback of revealing to your opponent how many Dragon cards currently are in your hand. Is that even a drawback?

Rapstah, PM your Paypal information to Fixed1979 to collect your winnings! If Rapstah is unable to collect it or declines it then the winnings goes to the runner-up.

ViviOggi

lol
After Europe’s dominant performance in the first China vs. Europe season, NetEase CEO Ding Lei was not happy with the performance of the Chinese players, and so he vowed to bring the best out of them for season two. And he might have found just the right motivation: a Ferrari. Having felt that the €52,000 prize pool and honor of representing China wasn’t enough, CEO Ding decided to throw in a brand new luxury sports car should there be a Chinese winner.
esports

I'm running into so many players that get incredible draws within their first 10 cards. I just lost on turn 6 from a Dr. Boom double swipe in 2 turns druid who had ramped super hard and yet had both Dr. boom and both swipes ready to go. Sigh... Salt....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom