• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

Hey, thanks for making me the winner of that contest. I'm half-considering disqualifying myself because I made so many cards during the contest, but I guess my first serious entry won?

Xanathus

Hey, thanks for making me the winner of that contest. I'm half-considering disqualifying myself because I made so many cards during the contest, but I guess my first serious entry won?
It doesn't matter, other people submitted multiple entries and I did not make a rule against it. I simply took the best entry from each person.

zoukka

Hehe either its my long hiatus from ladder or the late season, but I'm playing against basic decks in ladder. Oh well quests are done fast.

This one mage had the best portals in history. First one was Dr. Balanced and the second one was Ancient of Lore... Still won though :)

Danj

So I watched all the Trump Teachings videos and switched to his Mage deck (the basic one at the start, not the one with legendaries and fancy cards at the end, as I don't have those). Managed to get up to rank 15 so far.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I watched all the Trump Teachings videos and switched to his Mage deck (the basic one at the start, not the one with legendaries and fancy cards at the end, as I don't have those). Managed to get up to rank 15 so far.

Despite everything Mage Deck still OP.

Danj

Despite everything Mage Deck still OP.

No the basic one, with only basic unlockable cards, not a fancy one with mechs or legendaries or what-all.

EDIT: didn't manage to hold on to Rank 15 for long, had a BSOD during a match which got counted as a loss :(

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
No the basic one, with only basic unlockable cards, not a fancy one with mechs or legendaries or what-all.

EDIT: didn't manage to hold on to Rank 15 for long, had a BSOD during a match which got counted as a loss :(

Basic Mage deck still OP.

Basic Mage is the best deck compared to all of the other Basic decks, that's all.

You mean the deck that the game gives you at the start? Cause the rogue one is pretty good of the other classes, that I know of.

But if you mean custom built basic only decks? I have to disagree cause I don't think there is a clear answer cause basic only paladin is pretty hot.

Danj

This is bullshit, man. Bull fucking shit.

PRgEG9Q.jpg

What the hell are you supposed to do when people just randomly pull shit like that out of their arses? I'm back down to Rank 18 already!

KePoW

Banned

What the hell are you supposed to do when people just randomly pull shit like that out of their arses? I'm back down to Rank 18 already!

Dude you're taking the game a little too seriously considering you just started

It happens

ViviOggi

You take the loss, take solace in the fact that he won't pull off his awful 4-card combo for the next 10 games and move on. You likely made mistakes on previous turns so think of your plays and what you could have done differently, even if it ultimately wouldn't have changed the outcome of this particular match. At your stage you can still learn a lot from every single game with the right mindset.

That said simply venting here is not unheard of either.

Also it doesn't matter if you're rank 18, 15 or 7. At 20 you get the card back, at 5 the real grind begins and then you become legend. Anything in between is meaningless.

IceMarker

Have Polymorph, hope to draw Polymorph, or regret you used your Polymorph too early.

Dude you're taking the game a little too seriously considering you just started

It happens

Yeah really. You shouldn't be calling bullshit on one of the biggest noob traps in the game. Sure, he won that game. And you lost. But he is gonna be stuck in shit ranks forever, while if you'll move on to playing much better and higher consistent decks.

If you think that is bullshit, better decks are gonna make you rage even harder. Sometimes druids pull off a force of nature + savage roar on like turn 6 and hit you for 20+ damage since one turn you couldn't remove a minion from their board. You just can't get caught up in a single loss. Learn from the loss and try to avoid it in the future.

edit:
Also, to be perfectly clear, the priest running divine spirit/etc. is the one who fell in the noob trap of actually thinking that makes his deck good. I remember watching a streamer who actually thought his lightwell, divine spirit, innerfire combo was actually good.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

If you've gotten to Rank 15, that's pretty good for somebody who's new at the game.

I used to rage at losses at lot when I first started playing. But you have to realize that losses are inevitable, and sometimes they will happen due to factors out of your control. Maybe you get a really crappy mulligan or your opponent gets "the dream".

Just keep playing the game casually, get your quests, and start building up your card base. Once you break Rank 15 you start seeing more consistent and popular decks so it's harder to rank up past that point if you don't have a solid card base yet. Try not to worry too much about your rank. It's basically irrelevant unless you're specifically looking to grind to legend.

Danj

If you've gotten to Rank 15, that's pretty good for somebody who's new at the game.

Yeah no, false alarm, I am back down to Rank 18 again after a string of losses.

I just got to 100 gold again and bought a classic pack, am I allowed to use any of these or have I got to stick with this basic mage deck? I mean sure the basic mage deck works ok some of the time, but it's kinda boring isn't it?

Have Polymorph, hope to draw Polymorph, or regret you used your Polymorph too early.

Yeah no he did all that in one turn. It wasn't a threat before that turn, I was already thinking about how to get rid of it.

dralla

Everyone loses to gimmicky decks like this. You forget and move on. Priests specifically, with the ability to double heath and make attack equal to health. Which is probably what happens there. General Priest tip. Get as many 4 attack minions on the board as possible. They can't do anything against them since their removal spells are determined by minion attack.

Special C

I just got to 100 gold again and bought a classic pack, am I allowed to use any of these or have I got to stick with this basic mage deck? I mean sure the basic mage deck works ok some of the time, but it's kinda boring isn't it?

Yeah no he did all that in one turn. It wasn't a threat before that turn, I was already thinking about how to get rid of it.

Raging Worgen can be interesting in Mage if he can live a turn. He's done some work for me in arena, but I wouldn't disrupt deck continuity to throw one of him into basic mage deck. It's probably better than Razorfen Hunter but I can't recall if that is in the basic mage deck.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

I'm going to recommend two paths to you.

1.) If you're going to keep caring a lot about your rank, even when you're new at the game, then stick with the basic deck and have a "goal deck" that you are working towards. Something that's proven to be good and relatively cheap, like mech mage, warlock zoo, or midrange hunter. You can lookup decks on Hearthpwn, link is in the OP. Switch to a deck like that once you have all the key cards.

2.) What I would prefer you do is to not care too much about your rank, and use this time while you are building up your card base to experiment with certain cards and learn why certain cards are good and bad. Take the basic deck and occasionally swap out certain minions in certain slots to swap them with copies of other minions you THINK are good, and see if they serve you any better. Try to do this in sets of two. You should have 2 copies of most of your minions in each deck. Generally any minions at 5 or less mana you should be running two of, unless it is a "tech card" that performs a very specific purpose (big game hunter for example) or is a legendary. Having 2 copies of each minion is a good way to establish consistency You should also build basic decks of the other classes and experiment with them as well.

Also, try watching streamers on Twitch. See the plays they make and try to compare them to plays you would make. And then realize they're probably making a better play then you would if they disagree, and think about why that is (if they don't already tell you).

Type2

I was messing around with a new priest deck in casual last night and got matched against a Druid. I was expecting some kind of ramp/combo deck and got my draw engines on board. Everything's looking great and then I slowly realize he's playing dancing sword and then some Murlock that makes us both draw. I immediately start thinking oh shit this is the first fatigue deck I've ever seen and try to adjust my play. My hand was already too full when he started dropping the really annoying draw/mill and I lost most of my big threats and answers to actually beat him with. It ended up being a close loss considering I didn't know what he was doing immediately nor did I react perfectly. It was just so frustrating watching him fatigue after I stole his stuff against him but he had far more heal spells than me. Next time I'll be prepared for that possibility and although it was an excruciatingly long match it was a new experience for me.

Danj

You don't really have to stick with mage. There are other decks you can build on a budget or just from basic decks that are just as good if not better than a basic-only mage deck.

I like mage, but because the basic deck is built only on unlockable cards, it doesn't have any of the newer or more fun cards. Like Unstable Portal for example, I got one of those the other day and it seemed pretty cool - sure, it doesn't always come up with uber-badass legendaries but more often than not what it does come up with is useful.

I have 140 dust now, are there any cards I should consider crafting?

Also, it's a shame there's no way to quickly create a duplicate of an existing deck you have, so you can keep the original deck and have a copy to mess around with.

Type2

I like mage, but because the basic deck is built only on unlockable cards, it doesn't have any of the newer or more fun cards. Like Unstable Portal for example, I got one of those the other day and it seemed pretty cool - sure, it doesn't always come up with uber-badass legendaries but more often than not what it does come up with is useful.
When you make changes to any deck you have to question if they will change the flow of the deck. Making one change at a time and seeing if you would've prefered the card you swapped rather than the new card is a good way to see what changes are happening within your deck. For example dropping some taunts for early game power might feel good some games but then you realize your deck relies on board control and small eventual damage to win. Losing those taunt creatures would leave your board more vulnerable and let your opponent dictate the trades more effectively.
Making a new deck though and seeing what works and doesn't is a good way to get and idea of what you want to do with the deck and then change cards accordingly.
Also, I'm also brand new and if you wanted to add me and play some games sometime I bet that would be great for both of us.

I have 140 dust now, are there any cards I should consider crafting?

Also, it's a shame there's no way to quickly create a duplicate of an existing deck you have, so you can keep the original deck and have a copy to mess around with.

You can throw unstable portal in and you'll probably be fine. The basic deck is mostly just a combination of the best basic cards and not really because they belong there for any special reason so you won't be breaking your deck by changing a few cards around.

KePoW

Banned

1.) If you're going to keep caring a lot about your rank, even when you're new at the game, then stick with the basic deck and have a "goal deck" that you are working towards. Something that's proven to be good and relatively cheap, like mech mage, warlock zoo, or midrange hunter. You can lookup decks on Hearthpwn, link is in the OP. Switch to a deck like that once you have all the key cards.

I always recommend Face Hunter to new players. It's even cheaper cost than Midrange Hunter and very effective

You can't expect to play a deck full of "fun" cards that may or may not be good, and then rage when you lose. I'm not saying you should only play optimal netdecks, that would be silly. But like Oggi said, you are still at the stage where every game you're learning something new and deckbuilding is part of that learning. I don't expect to win any game I play on ladder with Randuin Wrynn or Archmage of the Entire Frickin' Universe. I will admit it's very funny when I do win though.

Like others have said, you really should stop putting one of everything in your deck. In a game with as much RNG as Hearthstone, winning is about minimizing the impact of that RNG and that includes your draws.

But to be fair, some games like your one with the super-buffed Sunwalker are just unwinnable. There will be games where the other guy has a perfect curve, he'll draw all his answers, he will always get favourable trades or he'll luck into lethal. Shit happens. Even the best only win like 60% of the time. Sometimes they are unlucky and can turn it around, I saw Kibler play a game last night where he used both Thoughtsteals and drew Deadly Poison and Blade Flurry TWICE. Other things went his way and he went on to win.

Also, I'd really advise against crafting commons and rares. Maybe a few rares are worth crafting like Azure Drake. With daily quests you should be opening a pack a day, so your commons will mount up over time. I would also dust EVERYTHING gold while your collection is small since you can trade them in for a card of the same rarity.

And don't play Face Hunter. You'll win games but you'll learn nothing.

Danj

Are there any ways in Canada of finding discounted packs? Seems the amazon deal is US only.

Is it some kind of digital download code? Because I've bought digital games from Amazon US before.

EDIT: Oh, just seen it, I see it specifically says US only and is for the mobile version of the game, never mind then.

Danj

2.) What I would prefer you do is to not care too much about your rank, and use this time while you are building up your card base to experiment with certain cards and learn why certain cards are good and bad. Take the basic deck and occasionally swap out certain minions in certain slots to swap them with copies of other minions you THINK are good, and see if they serve you any better. Try to do this in sets of two. You should have 2 copies of most of your minions in each deck. Generally any minions at 5 or less mana you should be running two of, unless it is a "tech card" that performs a very specific purpose (big game hunter for example) or is a legendary. Having 2 copies of each minion is a good way to establish consistency You should also build basic decks of the other classes and experiment with them as well.

Also, try watching streamers on Twitch. See the plays they make and try to compare them to plays you would make. And then realize they're probably making a better play then you would if they disagree, and think about why that is (if they don't already tell you).

Yeah I have calmed down a bit now, I was just raging because that bullshit 28 attack thing came right after a string of losses.

Thing is though, if I shouldn't care about rank, are you suggesting I should become one of those people who concedes every other game in order to stay the same rank? Because that seems really weird, and there seems to be a lot of those out there - I run into at least one or two every time I play.

When you make changes to any deck you have to question if they will change the flow of the deck. Making one change at a time and seeing if you would've prefered the card you swapped rather than the new card is a good way to see what changes are happening within your deck. For example dropping some taunts for early game power might feel good some games but then you realize your deck relies on board control and small eventual damage to win. Losing those taunt creatures would leave your board more vulnerable and let your opponent dictate the trades more effectively.
Making a new deck though and seeing what works and doesn't is a good way to get and idea of what you want to do with the deck and then change cards accordingly.
Also, I'm also brand new and if you wanted to add me and play some games sometime I bet that would be great for both of us.

I'm Danj#2393 if anyone wants to add me on battle.net.

You can throw unstable portal in and you'll probably be fine. The basic deck is mostly just a combination of the best basic cards and not really because they belong there for any special reason so you won't be breaking your deck by changing a few cards around.

You can't expect to play a deck full of "fun" cards that may or may not be good, and then rage when you lose. I'm not saying you should only play optimal netdecks, that would be silly. But like Oggi said, you are still at the stage where every game you're learning something new and deckbuilding is part of that learning. I don't expect to win any game I play on ladder with Randuin Wrynn or Archmage of the Entire Frickin' Universe. I will admit it's very funny when I do win though.

Like others have said, you really should stop putting one of everything in your deck. In a game with as much RNG as Hearthstone, winning is about minimizing the impact of that RNG and that includes your draws.

But to be fair, some games like your one with the super-buffed Sunwalker are just unwinnable. There will be games where the other guy has a perfect curve, he'll draw all his answers, he will always get favourable trades or he'll luck into lethal. Shit happens. Even the best only win like 60% of the time. Sometimes they are unlucky and can turn it around, I saw Kibler play a game last night where he used both Thoughtsteals and drew Deadly Poison and Blade Flurry TWICE. Other things went his way and he went on to win.

Also, I'd really advise against crafting commons and rares. Maybe a few rares are worth crafting like Azure Drake. With daily quests you should be opening a pack a day, so your commons will mount up over time. I would also dust EVERYTHING gold while your collection is small since you can trade them in for a card of the same rarity.

And don't play Face Hunter. You'll win games but you'll learn nothing.

Is there anything I can craft then? Or is crafting just not worthwhile?

Yeah I have calmed down a bit now, I was just raging because that bullshit 28 attack thing came right after a string of losses.

Thing is though, if I shouldn't care about rank, are you suggesting I should become one of those people who concedes every other game in order to stay the same rank? Because that seems really weird, and there seems to be a lot of those out there - I run into at least one or two every time I play.

It's not that you shouldn't care, it's that there's no incentive to care because Blizzard's rewards structure is crap. Because there's no rewards for going from 20 to Legend, things are much tougher at Rank 20 because of all the gold hero farmers and guys like myself who have played since beta but I'm low ranked this season because I don't have time to play lately. Once you get past Rank 18 IMO, the games are easier until about Rank 5. At this rank, you can no longer winstreak so you must earn every single star until Legend.

I'm Danj#2393 if anyone wants to add me on battle.net.

Is there anything I can craft then? Or is crafting just not worthwhile?

Crafting is worthwhile, it's just that getting cards is a snowball effect. The more cards you have, the easier it is to get more. It's tempting to just want to craft everything, but you'll regret it when you run out of new commons and rares (it happens far sooner than you think) and every pack is just 40 dust.

IMO, you should only craft when you have a deck in mind that you want to build and you are missing key cards to make it work. Dust doesn't have an expiry date. If you're building Tempo Mage (I'm not saying you are, it's just what I'm laddering with so it's what comes to mind), you'll need Azure Drakes, Kirin Tor Mages and Unstable Portals which are all rares. Then you'll need some secrets, in mine I play Counterspell (rare) and Mirror Entity (common). If I didn't have these, I would craft them, because IMO Legendaries are great but they are finishers and if you don't have the rares and epics they don't matter. There's lots of streamers who played with full decks of Legendaries if you want to see the stupidly excessive version of this problem.

Legendaries are a whole other problem. I use Dr Boom, Rag and Loatheb but I was lucky to pull the first two from packs and the first wing of Naxx was free back last summer. They take a long time to save up for, and new players get caught up about them. I think this is both because they have their own music and animations (meaning they stick in your mind more) and because the best Legendaries provide a huge tempo swing meaning they can be used to come from behind and win games you have no right to win. Personally, I would only worry about Legendaries until I had a solid core of cards. If I was a new player, I'd probably craft Dr Boom if I lucked into a gold Legendary though since he works in almost everything. The Naxx and Blackrock cards are tougher since the gold needed is way too much. Honestly, I would always buy adventures with cash but I realise that isn't feasible for people either because they don't have the scratch or they are F2P players.

Personally, if I were you I would worry less about the long term and think more short term early on. Craft the cards you want to. Gaining a large collection is gonna take a long time whether or not you craft cards now. But you'll never get there if you quit because the game gets boring in the immediate sense.

Also, I wouldn't single out a single class to focus on. At least not immediately. Try out several classes with basic decks built by massan or trump and find out which you like from that.

iirate

Also, Danj, if you have the patience for it, watch some of the more educational streamers. I just returned to the game a few months ago now, and I don't really play that often(I do just enough to complete my daily quests most of the time). I watch a lot of streams though, and I can see drastic improvements in how well I'm playing just from a few months ago, despite not logging a ton of time with the game.

For example, when I returned, I was playing arena and averaging less than 3 wins a run for quite a while. However, out of my 10 most recent runs, two were 12 wins, one was 11, and only one was under 3(and many of the weaker runs came from starting to learn classes I'm not as familiar with yet). Even when I was struggling to average 3 wins a run, I was more than breaking even on the 150 gold entry fee. You always get 1 pack just for entering, so if you can average at least 50 gold in winnings, everything else you win will be pure profit.

Don't underestimate the format - the competition can be steep, so don't expect to do well right away. If you're serious about becoming a better player though, you will start winning more and more, and it won't take you that long to make arena profitable for yourself. After that point, you'll continue to get better, and arena will only get more lucrative for you.

I recommend Lifecoach or StrifeCro for really educational ladder streamers(Trump isn't bad either). If you decide to learn arena, watch Ratsmah(Hafu is arguably the best arena player and Kripp is very good too, but neither is as educational as Rat), and I recommend Heartharena as a supplemental learning tool as well. Arena may seem really daunting to a new player, but it's a great way to build your collection more quickly once you get good, and play cards that are outside of your reach so things don't get stale. I know there are other good streamers out there(i.e. Guardsman Bob for arena or Kibler for constructed), but the ones above are the ones I watch and have the most experience with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom