• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The skill of the player population isn't static. As new players come in and previously new players become old players, the earlier ranks are becoming more and more competitive. Everyone is getting better at the same time.

I think we're at a point in the game's life where even players at ranks 16 and up have managed to amass some legendaries in their collection and are playing them in their netdecks.

Also consider that the Rank 15 threshold is actually the entry into the top 25% of players.

ANT6SOZ1AZCQ1411061634681.png

That looks like the reallllly old chart.

Danj

I think we're at a point in the game's life where even players at ranks 16 and up have managed to amass some legendaries in their collection and are playing them in their netdecks.

Also consider that the Rank 15 threshold is actually the entry into the top 25% of players.

Okay, that's some interesting statistics, I did not know that.

But I'm not even trying to get past rank 15 at this point, like I said I slipped down to 18. I'd be happy to finish up at 15.

Anyway I've cobbled together a Face Hunter deck from looking at HearthPwn and then making some substitutions for cards I don't have:

I'm sure it's crap by GAF standards, but there we go.

Haunted

There's no GAF standards, we have all sorts of players here from rank 20 to legend. :D

Looks pretty good to me. I assume you have no second Unleash or Bow or you would've put them in.

If you have Piloted Shredders, I'd get them in there instead of Ironforge Riflemen. Hunter's Mark is also a good card if you have that, maybe instead of the Deadly Shot. You can win games with that deck.

Xater

Huh, guess I am pretty decent at this game then or everyone under level 15 is incredibly terrible.

I haven't lost a single game with my old Zoolock deck that has been the same since Naxxramas. lol

Going to agree with Haunted here, for 3 mana the Riflemen don't really do enough. You'll either want more low cost you can play along with your hero power. Same with the Commando, 5 mana is a lot to pay for only two damage.

I understand if you don't have the cards, just trying to help with understanding how it all comes together.

I've never seen anyone do it in a match before lol

I've attempted because I have velen, but when he does to BGH inevitably you are SOL
I never play Velen unless if I need to. He's there to execute the 10/20 damage burst for the kill. I think the only time I'd play him without the kill is if I really need to heal, which can also be game winning depending on the situation. 10 health from Velen, Light of the Naruu, and hero power.

Anustart

I started playing again, and need some pointers. Is doing Blackrock a good investment? I stopped right after the first wing of naxx.

I play mage, and before quitting I was around rank 15 each season.

Danj

There's no GAF standards, we have all sorts of players here from rank 20 to legend. :D

Looks pretty good to me. I assume you have no second Unleash or Bow or you would've put them in.

If you have Piloted Shredders, I'd get them in there instead of Ironforge Riflemen. Hunter's Mark is also a good card if you have that, maybe instead of the Deadly Shot. You can win games with that deck.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll make those changes. And yeah I only have 1 of those cards you mention.

ViviOggi

I'd rather have a utility spell like Tracking or even Flare in SMOrc than Stormpike. Also craft a second Juggler tbh, it's just 100 dust and key in almost any aggro/midrange list

Haunted

I started playing again, and need some pointers. Is doing Blackrock a good investment? I stopped right after the first wing of naxx.

I play mage, and before quitting I was around rank 15 each season.
Naxx and Blackrock are the best value you can get to expand your card collection atm. Naxx has very strong commons and rares (Haunted Creeper, Mad Scientist, Sludge Belchers) and Blackrock has some cool dragons as well as a gamechanging legendary (Emperor Thaurissan).

Definitely worth going for both, imo.

clav

Naxx and Blackrock are the best value you can get to expand your card collection atm. Naxx has very strong commons and rares (Haunted Creeper, Mad Scientist, Sludge Belchers) and Blackrock has some cool dragons as well as a gamechanging legendary (Emperor Thaurissan).

Definitely worth going for both, imo.
Buying the first two wings of Naxx and then first wing of BRM with gold is considered the most economical route. Then complete Naxx first then BRM second.

kiryani

So what's everybody's anti aggro tech for ladder tomorrow?

I'm dropping a loot hoarder for an unstable ghoul and something else for a dread corsair.

I might even tech in a Kezan.

Fucking hate ladder at the start of the season

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So what's everybody's anti aggro tech for ladder tomorrow?

I'm dropping a loot hoarder for an unstable ghoul and something else for a dread corsair.

I might even tech in a Kezan.

Fucking hate ladder at the start of the season

Unstable Ghoul
Annoy
Sludge
Sen'Jin
Healbot

Not counting various class specific cards like mirror image.

Also Kezan is great against face hunter.

clav

Going to finish Rank 11 unless I ladder today.

Ah well. Highest I've been.

Anyway I've cobbled together a Face Hunter deck from looking at HearthPwn and then making some substitutions for cards I don't have:

Here's mine:

The game sometimes ends by turn 4/5.

yQxBJVT.png

gutshot

So I've been getting back into this game again. I realized that the arena grind really burned me out and that going for a single pack every 2 days is enough of a positive feedback loop to keep me playing.

I now have about 1200 dust from duplicates. I don't own many of the essential commons or rares like the 2/1 Gnomes, SI Agent, Mechwarper, etc. I've been able to hit rank 13 off the back of mostly Naxx + BRM cards.

Should I craft a ton of commons/rares or just save up 1600 for a Dr. Boom? I think the commons/rares would be better overall, but I find myself often lacking in lategame power as my viable cardpool consists of KT and Nefarian. Boom is also nice because I can basically slot it into almost every deck, as opposed to a select few of the commons/rares I would craft. Thoughts?

You should never craft commons. I also would avoid crafting rares, unless there is a specific deck you have in mind and you are just missing one or two rares. But, as a general rule of thumb, you're much better off remaining patient and getting all your commons and rares from packs and then using your dust on epics and legendaries.

I would save up for Dr. Boom. Not only is he a great card that can go in a lot of decks, he is a good investment since you will likely get all your dust back at some point.

Duster

I made a late surge to level 13 which is my highest rank yet.

Unfortunately I then ran into decks full of more legendary cards than those level 20 farmers which my homemade deck just can't cope with yet.

So I'm trying something out with my Priest deck and hopefully it turns out well. Long story short, I've lost a few games due to Zombie Chow healing for 5/10 so instead I'm going to see if Light Wardens make any difference. It'll probably be worse but I have to see how it turns out.

clav

So I'm trying something out with my Priest deck and hopefully it turns out well. Long story short, I've lost a few games due to Zombie Chow healing for 5/10 so instead I'm going to see if Light Wardens make any difference. It'll probably be worse but I have to see how it turns out.

Auchenai Soulpriest + Zombie Chow.

Tubie

So what happens tomorrow? do we all go back down to rank 20?

I managed to get to 15, but I started playing this month so I don't know how this usually works.

Jadax

So what's the stars I got at the end of last season? Can't see them anywhere.

Also, rerolled a quest, didn't get anything after that..so that's bugged.

And I keep losing games at the new rank...autoconcede for some reason.

So what's the stars I got at the end of last season? Can't see them anywhere.

Also, rerolled a quest, didn't get anything after that..so that's bugged.

And I keep losing games at the new rank...autoconcede for some reason.

Stars are in ranked.
You can only re-roll one quest a day so it isn't bugged.
You are accidentally conceding.

Slashlen

So what happens tomorrow? do we all go back down to rank 20?

I managed to get to 15, but I started playing this month so I don't know how this usually works.

You get one star for each rank you got to during the previous season. According to the chart here you'll be at rank 21.

And just FYI the start of the season is painful to level up in because everyone who was good last season shot back up.

Edit: just now figured out Injured Blademaster says "MEDIC!" and not "MURDER!"

Auctopus

So, I'm thinking of starting to take this game a little more seriously. I've been blindly playing every couple months for about a year but have started watching some basic Trump videos.

I'm playing his basic Mage control deck and managed to get to Rank 24 and wanna try for 20 this season.

Is that too much of a challenge? Will I get crushed if I keep running such a basic deck?

Dahbomb

So, I'm thinking of starting to take this game a little more seriously. I've been blindly playing every couple months for about a year but have started watching some basic Trump videos.

I'm playing his basic Mage control deck and managed to get to Rank 24 and wanna try for 20 this season.

Is that too much of a challenge? Will I get crushed if I keep running such a basic deck?
Getting to rank 20 is pretty easy but beyond 20 is where things get tough for new players.

Mostly because that 18-20 rank happens to be the "gold" portrait farmer territory.

I sometimes play on my EU account for kicks and this is the general pattern I have seen.

Special C

I've determined that you have to draft a very aggressive deck to win with hunter in arena. Your hero power can't affect the board but gives really good reach for closing out games. Not saying to always go face, trade up if you can, but I always go face if even trades are available.

clav

I've determined that you have to draft a very aggressive deck to win with hunter in arena. Your hero power can't affect the board but gives really good reach for closing out games. Not saying to always go face, trade up if you can, but I always go face if even trades are available.

That's pretty much the definition of arena for every character. Aggression unless you can afford to play control.

Card selection is usually terrible.

Dahbomb

Arena is definitely more aggressive these days... you can scumbag a ton of victories against much better decks if you just play risky and go for the push.

I had a pretty ok Paladin deck recently but it was very aggressive and had one Divine Favor in it. Went to 11 wins with it. Next game I had a good Mage deck (very high minion quality, Echo of Medivh, Flamestrike, Blizzard and Chromaggus) that was just missing Fireballs/Polymorphs... it went 2-3 because I just got rushed down before I got settled in and one game the Warlock just happened to have a much better deck than me (double Void Callers into double Floating Watcher, double Infernals, double Imp Gang Boss, Shadow Flame, double Implosions etc).

Your mentality for Arena should always be:

"If I make this play I can probably win the game" rather than "if I make this play then I probably won't lose the game".

Gotchaye

Yeah, Hunter in Arena is all about face damage. But that shouldn't be very surprising. Mage even plays that way, for the most part - with a typical solid mage deck you get out some early minions and then remove everything the other guy plays until you can burst them down. Paladin and Priest are the classes that want to play a longer game, and it's not a coincidence that those are the classes with relatively little burst and lots of healing, buffing, and card draw. Maybe Druid too if you draft a lot of trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom