• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

I unlocked the first wing of BRM with gold, should I not bother with the others?

Eventually you will want them to play some fun decks. However, they aren't requirements for a decent deck as the cards crafted from dust/decks are far more valuable if you need late game cards.

I would start unlocking Naxx from now and see what you want to do. That way you have Haunted Creeper, Sludge Belcher, Mad Scientist, Nerubian Egg, and Loatheb.

Again, in the end, your willingness to spend money is the factor here.

So i'm pretty new to the game and have been leveling up all the classes to 10 to see which style i like and really enjoying it. I just bought Naxx since i wanted a bit more single player content and have an extra 10$ to spend on some card packs. Should i be getting the new packs or the goblin and gnomies pack?

Also whats a good guide or site for decks to test put? I suck at building decks and it seems overwhelming for me, i somehow got to rank 22 on the stock decks >_>.

I'm technically still a new player as I started this year. You may also want to consider doing arenas.

Also, it's better to use money to buy whole expansions. You're not guaranteed good cards to your collection just by buying packs.

Volimar

Just went 8-3 with a warlock deck. Had 2 watchers and 3 dread internals. The deck had great synergy with cards like imp gang boss and flame imp. So many mages though...

clav

Just went 8-3 with a warlock deck. Had 2 watchers and 3 dread internals. The deck had great synergy with cards like imp gang boss and flame imp. So many mages though...

The worst is when a Mage starts BM'ing you by bombarding Hellos when you're legitimately thinking what cards to play on your turn.

zlatko

Banned
I think I've only had one time where I've gone to the Arena and won games.

Every other time I get rekt. Hard. Lose all 3 in a row rekt hard.

; ;

Is there a "tier list" of characters in the current meta, or did Blizzard achieve balance between them all?

Slashlen

I had someone do this on turn 1 to me today, already played his card and was just waiting(not a Druid). I roped him back every turn after. He seemed to be ahead, but he skipped turn 5 and conceded during turn 6.

Fixed1979

Alright, loaded playing freeze mage giants, lol. Ridiculous.

Seriously?

cereal...

Mashed-Potatoes-e1364832594131.jpeg

this means something

syntax is important

EDIT: If Jesus had a Hearthstone deck this is what he'd play.

Sande

I had someone do this on turn 1 to me today, already played his card and was just waiting(not a Druid). I roped him back every turn after. He seemed to be ahead, but he skipped turn 5 and conceded during turn 6.
Probably just forgot to end the turn and didn't feel like waiting 90 seconds every turn after that. It's usually not the best course of action to just assume everyone's an asshole and be an asshole yourself. Hanlon's razor etc.

ZZMitch

Damn I think I just had the worst Hearthstone day of my career today. 7-16, took foreverrrr to finish my 7 win quest lol. At one point I lost 8 in a row...

But the game always knows when to pull me back because when I finally got my quest done I opened a pack and got a new legendary :D

What a rollercoaster haha.

Tubie

So i'm pretty new to the game and have been leveling up all the classes to 10 to see which style i like and really enjoying it. I just bought Naxx since i wanted a bit more single player content and have an extra 10$ to spend on some card packs. Should i be getting the new packs or the goblin and gnomies pack?

Also whats a good guide or site for decks to test put? I suck at building decks and it seems overwhelming for me, i somehow got to rank 22 on the stock decks >_>.

Get the classes to 10 and if you feel like you will be spending some serious time with the game, I would recomend buying both expansions. Naxx specially has a lot of cards used in many popular decks.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks

I'm still new to this, but I found this site to be helpful, just search for basic or cheap decks in the search options. You can definitely reach 20 with the basic cards, but it can take time and some frustration.

Slashlen

Probably just forgot to end the turn and didn't feel like waiting 90 seconds every turn after that. It's usually not the best course of action to just assume everyone's an asshole and be an asshole yourself. Hanlon's razor etc.

He ended the turn at the very end, maybe 3 seconds left, no sorry emote. I do not believe he forgot, and I have no issues with what I did.

manhack

Damn I think I just had the worst Hearthstone day of my career today. 7-16, took foreverrrr to finish my 7 win quest lol. At one point I lost 8 in a row...

But the game always knows when to pull me back because when I finally got my quest done I opened a pack and got a new legendary :D

What a rollercoaster haha.

I feel you man. The ladder is extremely competitive right now and bad RNG does not help

Durden77

Thanks for the thoughts on BRM. Since I've already unlocked the first wing and am still new, I think I'm gonna put my gold into packs and the arena for a little while.

I hate Flamestrike. So much. What are people's thoughts on the Undertaker? I'm using them with Zombie Chows, The spiders that break into other spiders (can't remember the name), Voidcallers, and Sludge Belchers. They seem pretty effective, but I'm starting to think having 2 in my deck is too much.

I had a guy not play any cards and go full rope until turn 5

I had a frothing berserker out chipping away every turn

By turn 5 I had 2 whirlwinds and a revenge in my hand

He finally plays cards on turn 5 (maybe it was turn 6?) and dumps a whole bunch of cheap minions on the board

Next turn I use 2x whirlwind, 1x revenge, 1x cleave and clear his board while boosting my berserker into a 16 attack beast lol

Dahbomb

Alright, loaded playing freeze mage giants, lol. Ridiculous.

Seriously?

cereal...

Mashed-Potatoes-e1364832594131.jpeg

this means something

syntax is important

EDIT: If Jesus had a Hearthstone deck this is what he'd play.
If Jesus had a Hearthstone deck he would play Hunter just like everyone else on the planet.

Magnus

There is no greater joy in this game than fucking over a stupid Face Hunter with a priest deck that they never see coming. I can taste the delicious salt. IT NOURISHES ME.

Durden77

Wow I just had the most intense game I've ever had so far with another fellow Warlock. I dunno how it pans out with later decks, but I freaking LOVE Kel'Thuzad right now. So clutch.

KuroNeeko

Man, I don't get all the hunter hate here. In an environment where you have aggro mage, aggro paladin, aggro rogue, and mech shaman, face hunter is just another hyper aggro deck.

I have more trouble beating Warlock and Patron to be honest.

I WILL admit that Kazan Mysticing their Explosive Trap feels pretty good though.

I mean, how the heck does Demonlock, Zoo, or Quartermaster / Muster escape the hate?

Man, I don't get all the hunter hate here. In an environment where you have aggro mage, aggro paladin, aggro rogue, and mech shaman, face hunter is just another hyper aggro deck.

I have more trouble beating Warlock and Patron to be honest.

I WILL admit that Kazan Mysticing their Explosive Trap feels pretty good though.

I mean, how the heck does Demonlock, Zoo, or Quartermaster / Muster escape the hate?

All of those decks have gone in and out of the meta, meanwhile braindead face hunter remains a constant.

Durden77

The only thing that pisses me off about Hunters is that stupid explosive trap. It just feels so dumb that one he places it for TWO mana, sooner or later you are going to HAVE to take that mass 2 damage. Yeah I know you can plan ahead and activate it at a more optimal time, but you're still gonna lose something. And if they place it at the right time (which is pretty much anytime because of the cost), you're fucked.

I think it should be 3-4 mana, at least. But what do I know, I'm new to this game.

Dahbomb

The only thing that pisses me off about Hunters is that stupid explosive trap. It just feels so dumb that one he places it for TWO mana, sooner or later you are going to HAVE to take that mass 2 damage. Yeah I know you can plan ahead and activate it at a more optimal time, but you're still gonna lose something. And if they place it at the right time (which is pretty much anytime because of the cost), you're fucked.

I think it should be 3-4 mana, at least. But what do I know, I'm new to this game.
It's worse when it's set up for free by that piece of shit Mad Scientist.

They basically just go all face with Mad Scientist and force you to kill it. Then when you kill it it's a 50/50 guess between Freezing and Exploding (sometimes Snake as well). If you are playing a Midrange or Control deck that uses a bunch of bigger minions, Freezing Trap basically slows down your play dramatically but if you are playing an aggressive deck then Exploding Trap can destroy you as well.

The thing is that the Hunter player isn't "out playing" you with this play... he's just going all face with Mad Scientist. Sometimes he will kill your shitty minions when a trap is up which telegraphs that it's Freezing Trap but usually they will just go face anyway.

Exploding Trap seems to have been phased out in higher ranks though... it's just really only present in the lower ranks. Once you start entering the Grim Patron ranks, Exploding Trap ends up being a liability.

I definitely agree with you. I've always thought the Hunter secrets were undercosted, except Misdirection and maybe Snipe.

Freezing is probably the worst in my opinion. The cost increase after returning to hand is just insane.

In the end though it doesn't really matter until Mad Scientist gets nerfed. If it ever does.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Explosive Trap probably shouldn't do 2 damage to the face. That's my only complaint with the card. Freezing is fine. It's like a sap you can't control, so the extra cost when it returns to the hand reflects that.

Of course the real problem is Mad Scientist.

Tubie

I got to rank 15 last season with a Face Hunter (mostly because it was super cheap to build), now I'm trying a mid range Priest deck and I find myself doing well against Face Hunters (and most zoo decks except Mech Mages) because I know exactly how they behave and what cards they can/will play. So it's easier to plan for that explosive trap. I just think "all I need to do is keep myself over 10 health for about 8 turns", then the game turns heavily in my favor.

I'm 16 already (was 15 for a while but crashed back down to 19 2 days ago) with this Priest deck and it's definitely way more fun than Face Hunter.

One game I felt super bad for this face hunter, I had back to back Deathlords and back to back Belchers. With one Deathlord and one Belcher Velen's Chosen'd.

gutshot

So according to Blizzard's Chinese partner, the alternate heroes aren't the only thing we'll be getting in the next patch. There is apparently a "big thing" yet to be revealed.

What do you guys think it is? Achievements? A reworked rank system? New game modes? ...More deck slots?

I'm assuming, by the way, this update won't be a card expansion since given their release schedule so far that is likely still a couple months away; too early to be teased. Also I can't see them releasing premium items like hero skins alongside new card packs. It would make more business sense to have those things spaced out a bit as people would be less likely to spend for cosmetic things when they could be spending money on new card packs instead.

gutshot

Statistics/game logs is near the top of my wish list, but I always assumed Blizzard would never do it because seeing your actual win-loss rate could be discouraging for casual players. I hope I'm wrong though.

Kaiterra

Banned
Oops. Had an Auchenai Soulpriest on the field, stole an opponent's Mistress of Pain using Cabal Shadow Priest and attacked with it to finish off a Healbot. Threw away a game I was winning by 24 health and 7 cards in hand vs. 9 health and 0 cards in hand due to accidentally dealing infinite damage to myself. :D

Jadax

Do I need to keep more than 2 of each card or can I disenchant them? Could there ever be use for them in the future?

bjaelke

Do I need to keep more than 2 of each card or can I disenchant them? Could there ever be use for them in the future?

Go ahead and disenchant.

It would require a new game mode to allowed 3+ cards of the same type (outside arena), and I am not sure that is coming in a foreseeable future.

ViviOggi

The only reason you would keep >2 cards (or >1 for legendaries) is that you'll get full dust value when disenchanting them a week after they have been nerfed, so most people with nearly complete collections don't use the auto-de function but only manually de cards without nerf potential when they need the dust. If you're a new-ish player that's not of any concern to you unless you pulled like two Booms or something, so dust away

Auctopus

There is no greater joy in this game than fucking over a stupid Face Hunter with a priest deck that they never see coming. I can taste the delicious salt. IT NOURISHES ME.

Agreed. Although I was using a mage, Stormwind Champion and Shattered Sun Cleric are a godsend. I just made sure to buff all my minions to about 4 before setting off their trap and then I was able to wail back on their face, very satisfying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom