• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugstable

Banned
Pretty much. People play Hybrid now but a cheap face hunter can beat most bosses on normal.

Also remember the Boss A.I. is pretty dumb. You can get lucky and win.

Sweet, I was able to find an even cheaper Face Hunter deck and had most of the cards, the few I didn't have I just found something to sub in. It's working so well it's ridiculous. Just cleared the first wing of Naxxramas without dropping below 25 hp in any fight, before with any other deck I tried I got ripped to shreds by Ferlina

EDIT: WOW Loatheb is cheap as hell. This is kinda unfair, he has all these crazy cheap taunts and hit 3 special attack and the dude has 75 health. Da fuq

EDIT: WOW Loatheb is cheap as hell. This is kinda unfair, he has all these crazy cheap taunts and hit 3 special attack and the dude has 75 health. Da fuq

You are supposed to kill the spores they majorly buff your minions. I managed to beat him without doing that lol, forgot in the WoW encounter you are supposed to kill the spores.

clav

Sweet, I was able to find an even cheaper Face Hunter deck and had most of the cards, the few I didn't have I just found something to sub in. It's working so well it's ridiculous. Just cleared the first wing of Naxxramas without dropping below 25 hp in any fight, before with any other deck I tried I got ripped to shreds by Ferlina

Try Heroic mode.

I just had one of the most memorable wins against freeze mage that I have had in a long time.

I'm playing my controlish midrange paladin. Really slow start. I decide early on that because I have tirion, loatheb, KT, etc.. that I am aiming to try and last through the storm to win. I've done it before, loatheb makes it possible, plus healbots but I didn't draw them.

When he fireballed my tirion it was clear that he was going for an archmage strategy. When he played archmage I dropped loatheb. Next turn I topdeck'd kezan mystic, something I completely forgot about, and destroyed his face the next turn.

I really despise playing freeze mage. It is perhaps even less fun than face hunter imo, or about equally displeasing. But getting that kezan mystic topdeck (not even that luck based since it was like turn 12+) was something else.

clav

I just had one of the most memorable wins against freeze mage that I have had in a long time.

I'm playing my controlish midrange paladin. Really slow start. I decide early on that because I have tirion, loatheb, KT, etc.. that I am aiming to try and last through the storm to win. I've done it before, loatheb makes it possible, plus healbots but I didn't draw them.

When he fireballed my tirion it was clear that he was going for an archmage strategy. When he played archmage I dropped loatheb. Next turn I topdeck'd kezan mystic, something I completely forgot about, and destroyed his face the next turn.

I really despise playing freeze mage. It is perhaps even less fun than face hunter imo, or about equally displeasing. But getting that kezan mystic topdeck (not even that luck based since it was like turn 12+) was something else.

Before I had MCT, I used Kezan Mystic against Hunters and Mages.

Wondering if I should replace the cards again.

I have a golden version, too, that I received in a booster pack.

Goddamn, Armorsmith has to be one of the best 2 drops in the whole game. I managed to coin out my first one and then the second on turn 2 against another Patron Warrior, ended up with like 13 armor on turn 3. Game was pretty much over right there.

First time to reach nine wins in Arena.... too stressful. Think I may call it a night and finish tomorrow.

6OLLQjp.jpg

That's a decent draft you got there. 3 SWPs seems like a lot for arena - especially with the MC.

I assume you mean SWD.

I always use em all. Just means that I have extra's to use on marginal cards like 5's.

If anything I should have left the MC. Almost never get to use it.

Also... I love me some Temple Enforcers. I always take it when it pops up. Don't know if that is bad or not.

Tacitus_

Temple enforcers are great. 6/6 is pretty powerful on its own but when you get the battlecry off and, you get so much value from it + your heropower

bjaelke

I assume you mean SWD.

I always use em all. Just means that I have extra's to use on marginal cards like 5's.

If anything I should have left the MC. Almost never get to use it.

Also... I love me some Temple Enforcers. I always take it when it pops up. Don't know if that is bad or not.

Obviously it's working for you. I just find the 4 late game removals to be a bit excessive in arena. Suppose you do the same since you're feeling that way about MC.

No shame in going full Temple. Great card for maintaining board control and doing favorable trades.

Rapstah

Snake Trap, Gladiator's Longbow, Bluegill Warrior, Hunter's Mark. It's like the inverse of the other Hunter decks. Why have I now faced four of it at rank 12-10? How does it win?

Rosenskjold

There is something wrong with the client, it never resumes me to games. I had fraps running which crashed, so HS crashed. I re-open HS and it just takes me to main menu. I guess I'm just gonna get the loss when he kills me in the game I can't re-enter (that I was winning). Sad losing my arena like that :(

There is something wrong with the client, it never resumes me to games. I had fraps running which crashed, so HS crashed. I re-open HS and it just takes me to main menu. I guess I'm just gonna get the loss when he kills me in the game I can't re-enter (that I was winning). Sad losing my arena like that :(

Reconnect isn't really reliable. Seems like it is broken at times. Especially on the phone where you need it most. Sometimes I get "you have reconnected" and then almost a minute later it finally resumes.

Arena keys only give Goblins vs Gnomes packs now? So I guess buying packs is better now unless you can get at least 7 wins?

It is not very difficult to break even in arena. So no, going arena is better even under 7 wins. All you need to do is get 50g worth of dust or actual gold, and you break even. I believe that happens regardless of your luck with rewards at 3 wins. Even at less than 3 wins, your losses are much less than 50g since you'll get some amount of gold or dust anyway.

heringer

It is not very difficult to break even in arena. So no, going arena is better even under 7 wins. All you need to do is get 50g worth of dust or actual gold, and you break even. I believe that happens regardless of your luck with rewards at 3 wins. Even at less than 3 wins, your losses are much less than 50g since you'll get some amount of gold or dust anyway.

Yeah, I thought that before too, but I've read that the Goblin vs Gnome packs aren't as good as the regular packs.

Yeah, I thought that before too, but I've read that the Goblin vs Gnome packs aren't as good as the regular packs.

I don't know about that. I think there are quite a few good cards in both sets. If anything I would guess classic has more duds. As far as average dust goes I am not sure. There could be reasons why classic packs are better for some people. I think it'll depend on how fleshed out your collection is already.

Plus over the long term, once you get good at arena, getting excess gold is just a matter of how much time you're willing to spend in arena.

heringer

I don't know about that. I think there are quite a few good cards in both sets. If anything I would guess classic has more duds. As far as average dust goes I am not sure. There could be reasons why classic packs are better for some people. I think it'll depend on how fleshed out your collection is already.

Plus over the long term, once you get good at arena, getting excess gold is just a matter of how much time you're willing to spend in arena.

Hmm, ok. I guess it might be worth it for me now since I have no GvG card anyway.

Another question: who is Reynard and why do I keep seeing his name popping in a lot of Hearthstone discussions?

Also, do you guys create your own decks or just copy pre made decks? I really need a tutorial for making good decks, I suck at it.

Tacitus_

Another question: who is Reynard and why do I keep seeing his name popping in a lot of Hearthstone discussions?

Also, do you guys create your own decks or just copy pre made decks? I really need a tutorial for making good decks, I suck at it.

Reynad is a popular streamer/pro player/personality known for how salty he gets, especially with RNG:

And I netdeck all day everyday, piloting is more fun to me.

Dahbomb

I usually try out various decks at the start of expansions for a while but then I go back to the net deck stuff (with some of my personal modifications).

Deck building is a trial and error process. I usually skew towards Midrange or Control when making decks myself.

Starting out the best way to build a deck is using the following formula. Going to use Mage as an example as she is available at start for newcomers:

*Early game removal: Frostbolts
*Late game removal: Fireballs and Polymorph
*Early game minions: Mana Wyrm, Mana Scientist (and if using Mad Scientist you want at least 2 secrets, Mirror Entity is usually good)
*Mid game minions: Water Elemental, Shredder
*Board clear: Flamestrike
*Late game minions: Dr Balanced, Boulderfist Ogre if working with basic
deck
*Survivability: Belcher or Senjin to prevent heavy aggression (though these days aggression is so fast paced that the game is shut out before Belchers come down)
*Card draw: Acolyte or Arcane Intelligence

And when you have a little bit of everything you balance the mana curve out.

After that you tech for the type of decks you see online.

Lots of Mage and Hunters: One Kezan Mystic
Lots of Handlocks: One BGH
Lots of Warriors, Paladins, Hungers: One Ooze
Lots of early game aggression: Zombie Chow and Mirror Entity

After that you start making your deck based on a certain theme or playstyle..

*Stall/contol playstyle: Add more freezes like Blizzard, Frost Nova plus Doomsayer, maybe even an Explosive Sheep. Put in Antonidas and Alexstraza to finish opponents off while controlling their boards. Replace secrets with Ice Barriers and Ice Block for maximum stalling.

*Spell spam deck: Flamewaker, Clockwork Gnomes, Mech Yetis, Mana Wyrms, Sorcerors Apprentice, Antonidas, Thalnos

*Tempo heavy deck: Sorcerors Apprentice, Kirin Tor Mage and some of the stuff above.

*Dragon/Mech themes: Put in the tribe cards.

*Secrets heavy mage: Kirin Tor Mage, Mad Scientist (this card is in every Mage deck), Arcanist, Illuminator, lots of secrets, Sorceror's Apprentice.

Xanathus

I only play completely original decks which I create by myself independently without any outside resources such as Fingerslock, Parklock, Head Hunter, Chillmage and Phenomenon Rogue.

J0dy77

Kind of a rant post for me so please bare with me, needed to get it off my chest. I've been playing hearthstone since beta, took a break when the game frustrated me to breaking point and came back with the phone client release. I think I'm hitting that frustrated point again.

I hit rank 5 during the may season with Demon Lock while having a ridiculously high win ratio. I would would have hit legend if I had more time to play. My last 4 arena runs have all been 8 wins. But for some unexplainable reason I cannot win this season in ranked. Every starting hand I draw is shit, every person I play against has amazing starting hands. I went from rank 11 down to 14 last night, I just could not draw or win. Constantly running into 500 win golden hero players. Granted I was tired and I know a few of the loses were me being dumb but the majority were just impossible scenarios. I wanted to spike my phone after a hunter top decked the exact three cards in a row he need to win.

How does everyone deal with this frustration? What decks are you currently running and doing well with in the Meta? I've been running mid range druid and mage with demonlock and just can't find consistency.

heringer

I usually try out various decks at the start of expansions for a while but then I go back to the net deck stuff (with some of my personal modifications).

Deck building is a trial and error process. I usually skew towards Midrange or Control when making decks myself.

Starting out the best way to build a deck is using the following formula. Going to use Mage as an example as she is available at start for newcomers:

*Early game removal: Frostbolts
*Late game removal: Fireballs and Polymorph
*Early game minions: Mana Wyrm, Mana Scientist (and if using Mad Scientist you want at least 2 secrets, Mirror Entity is usually good)
*Mid game minions: Water Elemental, Shredder
*Board clear: Flamestrike
*Late game minions: Dr Balanced, Boulderfist Ogre if working with basic
deck
*Survivability: Belcher or Senjin to prevent heavy aggression (though these days aggression is so fast paced that the game is shut out before Belchers come down)
*Card draw: Acolyte or Arcane Intelligence

And when you have a little bit of everything you balance the mana curve out.

After that you tech for the type of decks you see online.

Lots of Mage and Hunters: One Kezan Mystic
Lots of Handlocks: One BGH
Lots of Warriors, Paladins, Hungers: One Ooze
Lots of early game aggression: Zombie Chow and Mirror Entity

After that you start making your deck based on a certain theme or playstyle..

*Stall/contol playstyle: Add more freezes like Blizzard, Frost Nova plus Doomsayer, maybe even an Explosive Sheep. Put in Antonidas and Alexstraza to finish opponents off while controlling their boards. Replace secrets with Ice Barriers and Ice Block for maximum stalling.

*Spell spam deck: Flamewaker, Clockwork Gnomes, Mech Yetis, Mana Wyrms, Sorcerors Apprentice, Antonidas, Thalnos

*Tempo heavy deck: Sorcerors Apprentice, Kirin Tor Mage and some of the stuff above.

*Dragon/Mech themes: Put in the tribe cards.

*Secrets heavy mage: Kirin Tor Mage, Mad Scientist (this card is in every Mage deck), Arcanist, Illuminator, lots of secrets, Sorceror's Apprentice.

Thanks for the tips!

Winning with a deck you made is much more satisfying.

Yesterday I faced a priest that wasn't doing anything for 5 turns or so. It felt weird at first but then I realised he was just holding to the right cards so he could make a massive combo. Sadly, I couldn't build a good advantage in the first 5 turns so he destroyed me. :(

Dahbomb

I only play completely original decks which I create by myself independently without any outside resources such as Fingerslock, Parklock, Head Hunter, Chillmage and Phenomenon Rogue.
ROFLMAO!

Some of these have a nice ring to them especially Head Hunter.

I think I am going to copy a Face Hunger deck online, change 1-2 cards then repost it online as "Head Hunter".

"It's like Face Hunter but you have to actually use your head!l

@Jody: It's still the start of Ladder for many people so it will be tough for a while until things simmer down. Also people are playing either very aggressively or trying to counter Warlock online so its rough for Guldan right now.

heringer

Wow, just found out that it's much better for me buying stuff in game through Google Play.

I live in Brazil, so the Appstore charges me in dollar (which right now is roughly 3.1 R$). On the Google Play store, however, they charge me in real at a more affordable price. For instance, the Naxxramas expansion costs $25 on the Appstore, which would be roughly R$77.50. Google Play Store, on the other hand, charges me R$56.50 (wich would be roughly $18).

No idea how Battle.net charges, but will check it tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom