• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
jHAmDMg.png

YLD64X8.gif

It isn't hard to believe since there are millions of players. I don't think he'd just make something up like that. He probably has the statistics to back it up.

Spl1nter

It is probably true that most players dont have nine decks. I rarely ever have 9 decks because I constantly delete decks to try new ones out.

inky

I don't even have 9 decks because I leave a couple of slots open in case I need to whip up a new deck because I only have 9 slots. Ben pls.

Not that I care tbh. I just take a screenshot of any deck I like and save it on my desktop. I just redo the deck afterwards if need be. Of course, I don't use a tablet or phone to play so my experience is different to those who do.

J0dy77

Wow, just found out that it's much better for me buying stuff in game through Google Play.

I live in Brazil, so the Appstore charges me in dollar (which right now is roughly 3.1 R$). On the Google Play store, however, they charge me in reals at a more affordable price. For instance, the Naxxramas expansion costs $25 on the Appstore, which would be roughly R$77.50. Google Play Store, on the other hand, charges me R$56.50 (wich would be roughly $18).

No idea how Battle.net charges, but will check it tonight.

You should look into buying from the Amazon App store and using coins, it may be similar cost structure to Google Play and you get a lot more packs at a cheaper rate. Full details here:

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=10558189011

Tacitus_

It isn't hard to believe since there are millions of players. I don't think he'd just make something up like that. He probably has the statistics to back it up.

I didn't mean the laugh.gif as mocking the statement. I'm just jolly that they are finally having it in the pipeline.

As for stats

bbrode said:
Seems like you guys are interested in more statistics, so here you go! Keep in mind these aren't related to any decision-making regarding deck slots. I just mentioned the stats because I don't think it's super healthy when a single person represents themselves as "everyone". The truth is there are lots of types of players.

Players with 9 decks (among players who have been active in the last 30 days): 33%

Players with 7-8 decks: 18%

Players with 1-6 decks: 49%

Minsc

Gold Member
^ Interesting stats above, thanks. But again, not having 9 decks filled != I don't want more deck slots.

Yeah, so if there are ~40 million Hearthstone accounts/players... and say 30 million of them are relatively inactive (make rank 20 and that's it)... there could still easily be 10 million people who would greatly like to see more than 9 deck slots, and the statement would be correct.

It just sounds better to say it that way I suppose, than saying, yeah, 10 million people use all 9 deck slots, but we don't see the issue.

Also, quite a number of people who would like to see more deck slots don't necessarily use all 9. I see streamers quite often only have 4-5 decks made, and I think I only have 8 myself. So saying not everyone is even using all 9 is a bit disingenuous too as it's actually more convenient to have a throwaway spot or two and not have to tear down a good deck everytime just to experiment.

embalm

Kind of a rant post for me so please bare with me, needed to get it off my chest. I've been playing hearthstone since beta, took a break when the game frustrated me to breaking point and came back with the phone client release. I think I'm hitting that frustrated point again.

I hit rank 5 during the may season with Demon Lock while having a ridiculously high win ratio. I would would have hit legend if I had more time to play. My last 4 arena runs have all been 8 wins. But for some unexplainable reason I cannot win this season in ranked. Every starting hand I draw is shit, every person I play against has amazing starting hands. I went from rank 11 down to 14 last night, I just could not draw or win. Constantly running into 500 win golden hero players. Granted I was tired and I know a few of the loses were me being dumb but the majority were just impossible scenarios. I wanted to spike my phone after a hunter top decked the exact three cards in a row he need to win.

How does everyone deal with this frustration? What decks are you currently running and doing well with in the Meta? I've been running mid range druid and mage with demonlock and just can't find consistency.
I deal with it by switching to a deck that I expect to lose with. I know this doesn't make sense but it makes me feel better when I'm tilt to be able to blame the deck. It also makes for some great surprises.

Last night I started off with Control Warrior and lost 2 games in a row right away. I switched over to a very fun, Murloc Shaman. The deck is a blast but it's never gone over a 50% win rate. Last night though it went 7/5 and that was a huge surprise.

If i'm losing to control decks I fire up a mill druid. Sure you lose almost every aggro match up, but burning freeze mages and handlocks to the ground is just too much fun.

So when you're tilting, try playing for fun. Build a deck for you instead of for the wins.

Haunted

If you give me 9 slots I'll use 7-8 actively and keep the last spots free for spontaneous ideas.

If you give me 20 slots I'll use 18 and keep 2 free etc.

There's enough viable decks out there to fill slots easy.

Having to get rid of decks I like and would use to make space for a new one, I thought we had moved past this shitty fridge handling, I'm reminded of the Wii, or my mid 90s PC HDD who could only hold 2 games at a time.

^ Interesting stats above, thanks. But again, not having 9 decks filled != I don't want more deck slots.

Yeah, so if there are ~40 million Hearthstone accounts/players... and say 30 million of them are relatively inactive (make rank 20 and that's it)... there could still easily be 10 million people who would greatly like to see more than 9 deck slots, and the statement would be correct.

It just sounds better to say it that way I suppose, than saying, yeah, 10 million people use all 9 deck slots, but we don't see the issue.

Also, quite a number of people who would like to see more deck slots don't necessarily use all 9. I see streamers quite often only have 4-5 decks made, and I think I only have 8 myself. So saying not everyone is even using all 9 is a bit disingenuous too as it's actually more convenient to have a throwaway spot or two and not have to tear down a good deck everytime just to experiment.

I'd imagine it was been on the to do list for a while but lower priority than other things. The statistics are a better indicator of how important it is rather than whether they should do it or not, I think.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'd imagine it was been on the to do list for a while but lower priority than other things. The statistics are a better indicator of how important it is rather than whether they should do it or not, I think.

Yeah, the statistics show that over half their playerbase would benefit from more deck slots. I'd argue the majority of people using 7-8 would use more if they were available, and some of the 1-6 category as well (though a small amount of the 9 category might stay at 9 as well).

So really, the majority of Hearthstone players are wanting more than 9 deck slots going by that tweet/post, not the other way around.

Are all 9 hero skins coming out in the same patch?

Also, what exactly are tavern brawls? Can someone give me a high-level overview? Gaming sites are blocked at my work and HearthPwn is absolutely terrible on mobile.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So Sylvanas has to have a unique entrance speech when played against her sister, right?

Are there really no big hunter characters in Warcraft then Alleria? Oh well Blizzard is atleast making it easy for me to keep my 10$ with these first 2 picks.

Dahbomb

Blizzard is so stupid with their stat interpretation sometimes.

I have 8 deck slots used up currently. You wanna know why I don't have 9 slots filled up? It's because I can make experimental one time use decks or to theory craft a deck real quick without deleting my older more commonly used decks.

Currently I don't have a way to have a solid deck for every class + have one experimental deck. Shit is absolutely unacceptable. I absolutely want more deck slots. I want at least 5 slots per class. Hell I would settle with 2 per class.

Are all 9 hero skins coming out in the same patch?

Also, what exactly are tavern brawls? Can someone give me a high-level overview? Gaming sites are blocked at my work and HearthPwn is absolutely terrible on mobile.
http://youtu.be/w32A9AFMwbQ

It's like that tournament only the rules change every week.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Are there really no big hunter characters in Warcraft then Alleria? Oh well Blizzard is atleast making it easy for me to keep my 10$ with these first 2 picks.

Hemet Nesingwary, Nathanos Blightcaller, and Shandris Feathermoon are the only competition here. Alleria is more notable than any of them.

J0dy77

I deal with it by switching to a deck that I expect to lose with. I know this doesn't make sense but it makes me feel better when I'm tilt to be able to blame the deck. It also makes for some great surprises.

Last night I started off with Control Warrior and lost 2 games in a row right away. I switched over to a very fun, Murloc Shaman. The deck is a blast but it's never gone over a 50% win rate. Last night though it went 7/5 and that was a huge surprise.

If i'm losing to control decks I fire up a mill druid. Sure you lose almost every aggro match up, but burning freeze mages and handlocks to the ground is just too much fun.

So when you're tilting, try playing for fun. Build a deck for you instead of for the wins.

I played a couple games today going back to demonlock and had some success. It really can show you how being extremely tired and on tilt can mess with your ability to play. Just throwing cards out and not truly thinking through each turn. I probably should have shut off hours earlier than I had last night but it just becomes utter frustration and stubbornness not be able to walk away.

I might give the random, never played before deck idea a try. Definitely better than losing when you think you should be winning.

embalm

I played a couple games today going back to demonlock and had some success. It really can show you how being extremely tired and on tilt can mess with your ability to play. Just throwing cards out and not truly thinking through each turn. I probably should have shut off hours earlier than I had last night but it just becomes utter frustration and stubbornness not be able to walk away.

I might give the random, never played before deck idea a try. Definitely better than losing when you think you should be winning.
The random never played before decks are a big part of my addiction to the game. The day BRD came out, I thought tossing Grim Patron into my OTK/Math Warrior deck would be a hilariously good time. It ended up being unrefined, but because it was new and people weren't prepared for it I jumped to rank 6 in a single day.

I play to win a lot of times. I have a face hunter deck that sees play when I want to churn out quick games. I've been running a lot of tempo mage now that Kezen is out of the meta and doing really well also. but...

It's the experimentation and fun crazy decks that keep me coming back though.

All the best heroes come from WC2.

Speaking of which, her voice seems similar enough https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWr6rpuHKd0
The nostalgia is overwhelming. It would be boss as hell if they used more of these guys for hero skins. I might actually drop some dollars if this happens.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hemet Nesingwary, Nathanos Blightcaller, and Shandris Feathermoon are the only competition here. Alleria is more notable than any of them.

I think Shandris is bigger she was in WC3.
I feel Shandris is lower notably since she only appears for the first couple of Night Elf missions before being totally overshadowed by every other hero in the faction for the entirety of the series afterwards.

Now, Alleria only appears in Warcraft 1 and 2, but she's at least one of the larger characters, and I believe she's the only plot character woman in either game outside of Garona, so she stuck out a lot during that era.

Magnus

I consider myself a fairly devoted WC fan for over 15 years, and I'd never heard of Valeera until Hearthstone. Lol

Wouldn't Garona or someone have been a better pick? One of the SI:7 personalities from WoW?

I consider myself a fairly devoted WC fan for over 15 years, and I'd never heard of Valeera until Hearthstone. Lol

Wouldn't Garona or someone have been a better pick? One of the SI:7 personalities from WoW?

Valeera is in the comics pretty much exclusively. I think VanCleef or Mathias Shaw or Garona would be a better pick.

As for Hunters, wish Hemet Nesingwary was a hero and not a shit card

embalm

I felt the exact same way.

I had to look up who Anduin Wrynn was also. I was pretty surprised when the badass looking priest was the snot nosed kid prince who was keeping the thrown warm for his missing father. Then I remembered that it has been like 10 years since I played WoW.

I think their hero selection was pretty great. A good mix of old school with Uther and Gul'dan, new faces Valeera, Garrosh, and grown up Anduin, and Warcraft 3 mains with Rexxar, Thrall, Malfurion, and Jaina.

I'm interested to see who they pick for Warlock because most Warlocks kind of double as mages (Medivh obviously, Cho'Gall) and Gul'dan is the purest Warlock. Unless they want to do Skullcrusher. Or Wilfred Fizzlebang which would be funny with Jaraxxus

I still say it will be Cho'Gall.

Tacitus_

Well yes, we already established it was Warcraft related.

I don't mean mary sue like Thrall is... lemme google him

Med'an is the current Guardian of Tirisfal, a founder of the New Council of Tirisfal, and the son of Garona Halforcen and Medivh. His unusual parentage and training has given him the unique ability to interweave shamanic magic with the arcane and divine.

Shaman mage paladin who is the Guardian of Tirisfal. Thrall "Green Jesus" the Earthwarder seems reasonable by comparison.

embalm

I'm interested to see who they pick for Warlock because most Warlocks kind of double as mages (Medivh obviously, Cho'Gall) and Gul'dan is the purest Warlock. Unless they want to do Skullcrusher. Or Wilfred Fizzlebang which would be funny with Jaraxxus

I still say it will be Cho'Gall.
Before WoW the lines between who could do what was much more interesting because it was so blurry.
Medivh a well respected mage being overcome by the temptations of Demon's and shortly being known as a Warlock.
The Warcraft 2 Death Knight is not the WoW Death Knight, and it's written off as WC2 deathknights were just a faction of warlocks who rode undead horses. The WC2 death knights were also way cooler than anything introduced since, death and decay was the shit.
Ogre Mage's WC2 bloodlust was turned into a Shaman Power, even though Ogre Mages were created using Elven rune magic. Now Cho'Gall is considered a Warlock.

Using those examples a case could be made for Medivh, Teron Gorefiend, or Cho'Gall. I'm with you though and would prefer to see Cho'Gall. Give me those double headed emotes now.

I hope they do add Teron Gorefiend one day though.

Tacitus_

Small correction, WC2 Death Knights were undead orcish warlocks possessing human knight corpses. I'd pay anything for Teron to be in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom