• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hearthstone Death Knights should use some of the classic Death Knight spells IMO. Need some Death and Decay. Then, Teron could be an alt hero or legendary.

I always saw the Hearthstone DK hero as Darion Mograine. Teron Gorefiend could work too. I don't think they will use Arthas.

Edit: And another thing about Warlocks, a lot of the most powerful demon races like Eredar (Archimonde and Kil'Jaedan) and Nathrezim (Varimatharas and Mal'Ganis) count as Warlocks but I don't see Blizz using them as heroes

Tacitus_

sheeple waking up

Or going to sleep, it's 23 server time here. And now I'm fighting a mage with 4 secrets. This is awkward.

This guys deck is crazy /kripp
JXGYA3D.png

Lost to double fireball to face :d

dire wolf and healbot got duplicated

manhack

Kind of a rant post for me so please bare with me, needed to get it off my chest. I've been playing hearthstone since beta, took a break when the game frustrated me to breaking point and came back with the phone client release. I think I'm hitting that frustrated point again.

I hit rank 5 during the may season with Demon Lock while having a ridiculously high win ratio. I would would have hit legend if I had more time to play. My last 4 arena runs have all been 8 wins. But for some unexplainable reason I cannot win this season in ranked. Every starting hand I draw is shit, every person I play against has amazing starting hands. I went from rank 11 down to 14 last night, I just could not draw or win. Constantly running into 500 win golden hero players. Granted I was tired and I know a few of the loses were me being dumb but the majority were just impossible scenarios. I wanted to spike my phone after a hunter top decked the exact three cards in a row he need to win.

How does everyone deal with this frustration? What decks are you currently running and doing well with in the Meta? I've been running mid range druid and mage with demonlock and just can't find consistency.

I think there are still at TON of legend and high rank players in the 15-10 rank area after the reset this month. On top of that there are just SO many good players, using top tier decks thanks to all the meta reports, that ranking up quickly is no longer as easy as it used to be.

The only thing that has helped me is to keep stat program running (using track-o-bot now) and determine which decks are working for me and which aren't. Once i find some decks with greater than 50% win rate I stick with them.

Not sure what demonlock deck you are using, but this one has been very good

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/239855-sigmas-midrange-zoo-streak-to-legend-guide

embalm

5 warlocks in a row in arena. All with a good amount of removal too. What's going on.
They were reading all of this talk about Cho'Gall &Teron Gorefiend and got fucking pumped to play Warlock. Hell I'm pumped to put in some warlock wins tonight now.

Tacitus_

11-3, somewhat bummed that I lost 2 of the games, first when I lost to a rogue who has no card or board and topdecks oil to finish me off over 2 turns and the 2nd to a warlock who went voidcaller sac -> infernal -> demonwrath -> free volcanic drake. Though I have to give him props for that play.

Mulgrok

As a mage against a warlock:

Unstable Portal on turn 2 for Dr Balanced
coin into Dr Balanced on turn 3
Turn 4 Goblin Blast mage
Turn 5 he dead...

and he never played a minion the entire time

I apologized when i played Dr Balanced and felt like a cheap asshole, but a win is a win!

Tacitus_

As a mage against a warlock:

Unstable Portal on turn 2 for Dr Balanced
coin into Dr Balanced on turn 3
Turn 4 Goblin Blast mage
Turn 5 he dead...

and he never played a minion the entire time

I apologized when i played Dr Balanced and felt like a cheap asshole, but a win is a win!

That's disgusting :lol

Haunted

Hearthstone Death Knights should use some of the classic Death Knight spells IMO. Need some Death and Decay. Then, Teron could be an alt hero or legendary.
If they charge $10 for alternate skins, I dread to think what actual new hero classes will cost.

ZealousD

If they charge $10 for alternate skins, I dread to think what actual new hero classes will cost.

Charging for hero classes seems like a bad move from a design standpoint. You'd be opening packs with cards you can't use. That would piss a LOT of people off.

If they do Death Knights or Monks, they should be included for free alongside an expansion that comes late enough where they redesign/crunch the classic set, and then throw Death Knight cards in there.

clav

Charging for hero classes seems like a bad move from a design standpoint. You'd be opening packs with cards you can't use. That would piss a LOT of people off.

If they do Death Knights or Monks, they should be included for free alongside an expansion that comes late enough where they redesign/crunch the classic set, and then throw Death Knight cards in there.

If actual new classes cost anything then they screwed up.

Haven't WoW expansions always operated that way with races?

ViviOggi

They'll be 30 bucks and come with all the cards

Tacitus_

All content - cards, arena entries and adventures have had gold prices as well. New heroes will be purchasable with gold as well, I can count on it. Will still probably have to pay through the nose for them.

The problem with paid heroes is that it's just another thing added preventing new players from easily getting into the game. If by the time the next Adventure comes out, Naxx isn't way cheaper or free, then pretty much no new player will be able to get in.

The problem with paid heroes is that it's just another thing added preventing new players from easily getting into the game. If by the time the next Adventure comes out, Naxx isn't way cheaper or free, then pretty much no new player will be able to get in.

Isn't that kind of the point though? If people are not going to be spending money, I doubt Blizzard want them.

Isn't that kind of the point though? If people are not going to be spending money, I doubt Blizzard want them.

I doubt the point is to lock out new money completely. WoW has been making old expansions dirt cheap for years. There's been times after WoD launched you could get ALL the previous expansions for like, $5 to clear that barrier of entry, that's probably what they will do here.

clav

I doubt the point is to lock out new money completely. WoW has been making old expansions dirt cheap for years. There's been times after WoD launched you could get ALL the previous expansions for like, $5 to clear that barrier of entry, that's probably what they will do here.

With the recent launch on smartphones, I doubt Blizzard is looking to lower the prices any time soon.

Analytics probably show people really do pay for add-ons if they feel paying is worth the fun experience.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The point is to get people addicted as well as to getting them paying. If they start throwing up more and more barriers, people will just lose interest that much faster.

We already have a problem with new players getting matched up against Control Warriors in the 20 ranks. It's not good for audience growth, and hurts them in the long run.

clav

The point is to get people addicted as well as to getting them paying. If they start throwing up more and more barriers, people will just lose interest that much faster.

We already have a problem with new players getting matched up against Control Warriors in the 20 ranks. It's not good for audience growth, and hurts them in the long run.

Maybe next year they will consider.

Again, we don't have their sales data.

Game is consistently in the daily top 3 of Twitch. If it remains that popular, then it will continue to sell with its current price structure.

Really depends on how they implement them but I do think any new classes will be free.

I'm operating on the assumption that they'll retroactively add cards to Classic and GvG packs which would essentially result in an uptick in sales for those. Seems like a good way to go about releasing the classes for free while getting people to spend money on packs they might not have needed otherwise.

clav

Really depends on how they implement them but I do think any new classes will be free.

I'm operating on the assumption that they'll retroactively add cards to Classic and GvG packs which would essentially result in an uptick in sales for those. Seems like a good way to go about releasing the classes for free while getting people to spend money on packs they might not have needed otherwise.

I would actually buy some packs if the game would let me choose how many instead of its own set of 2, 7, and weird numbers.

Yeah, the ladder itself is a problem as well but everybody knows that. A legend player who quit for 2 seasons with a full Freeze Mage/Handlock/Control Warrior deck fighting level 20s with basics, commons and a few rares is ridiculous, that is essentially impossible to win against.

ZealousD

I don't think the game can support more than 2 paid adventures or more than 3 card sets at one time. When the next Adventure comes out, they should make Naxx free. Whenever they release their third card pack expansion, they should do a card restructure/crunch where they remove unpopular and bad cards (they probably won't give full disenchant value for any eliminated cards but I can dream. Maybe they just have a legacy mode). Then prior expansions get reworked into the classic set. So you'll see GvG cards in the classic set, for example.

I don't think the game can support more than 2 paid adventures or more than 3 card sets at one time. When the next Adventure comes out, they should make Naxx free. Whenever they release their third card pack expansion, they should do a card restructure/crunch where they remove unpopular and bad cards (they probably won't give full disenchant value for any eliminated cards but I can dream. Maybe they just have a legacy mode). Then prior expansions get reworked into the classic set. So you'll see GvG cards in the classic set, for example.

This makes a lot of sense actually.

I wonder what the reaction would be to Blizzard consolidating card packs like that.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I just got owned by a mage with both coldlight oracles and malygos, how can i play around that shit?! 20 plus dmg burst .To be fair i used loatheb too fucking early god dammit.

Schryver

I think I would rather they just heavily discount the older card sets. Although getting rid of really useless cards would be nice to keep your collection from getting too huge

Oh my god, just had someone get 6 juggles to my face despite my 2 minions. Napkin math tells me that's supposed to be like 0.1%.

My last arena run had the complete opposite experience. Knife juggles completing deciding the game from turn 3... feels bad, especially when you are in a position of control and then have no way back into the game.

I'll always despise knife juggler and I'm also a bit dumbfounded as to why it doesn't get more hate from the community - even though some popular streamers have spoken out against it's rng swing.

ZealousD

I think I would rather they just heavily discount the older card sets. Although getting rid of really useless cards would be nice to keep your collection from getting too huge

You have to think of it as a new player. Imagine you're opening the Hearthstone client 4 years from now and you see 8 different card sets all at various prices. You'll be intimidated immediately.

This makes a lot of sense actually.

I wonder what the reaction would be to Blizzard consolidating card packs like that.

Well. There's two issues.

First issue is figuring out which cards to eliminate. Terrible and awful cards that serve no purpose, like Flying Machine, won't be missed by anyone. Cards that Blizzard doesn't want to deal with anymore because they think it limits their potential designspace too much, like Unleash the Hounds, might cause some howling and gnashing of teeth on the official forums, but the competitive scene and more mature players will probably be fine with those decisions. If Sludge Belcher gets eliminated, there will be riots in the streets.

The second issue will be figuring out how to handle those eliminated cards for players that own them. They probably won't give the full disenchant value for eliminated cards. That would hurt their bottom line a LOT because that much free dust means that faithful players with large collections won't be spending near as much money on packs. But that's probably the only solution that would give their playerbase all the warm fuzzies with no complaints. In all likelihood, they would either give the standard disenchant payout, or they would create some sort of legacy mode kind of like MtG. Or they give nothing at all, and again, riots commence in the streets.

Well. There's two issues.

First issue is figuring out which cards to eliminate. Terrible and awful cards that serve no purpose, like Flying Machine, won't be missed by anyone. Cards that Blizzard doesn't want to deal with anymore because they think it limits their potential designspace too much, like Unleash the Hounds, might cause some howling and gnashing of teeth on the official forums, but the competitive scene and more mature players will probably be fine with those decisions. If Sludge Belcher gets eliminated, there will be riots in the streets.

The second issue will be figuring out how to handle those eliminated cards for players that own them. They probably won't give the full disenchant value for eliminated cards. That would hurt their bottom line a LOT because that much free dust means that faithful players with large collections won't be spending near as much money on packs. But that's probably the only solution that would give their playerbase all the warm fuzzies with no complaints. In all likelihood, they would either give the standard disenchant payout, or they would create some sort of legacy mode kind of like MtG. Or they give nothing at all, and again, riots commence in the streets.

Really the only card I actually want removed from the game is Mad Scientist. Out with that bastard. Or nerf him into the ground like Starving Buzzard so I never have to see or use him again

I like the effect. I don't think there's a problem with the text. It's the mana cost that's insane.

He's a better version of a strong 3 cost mage only card. Kirin Tor at least requires you to have the secret in your hand. Mad Scientist is a 2 cost that pays for himself many times over. If he added a secret from your deck to your hand he would be reasonable but as he stands he is ridiculous and it has been a year for him with no nerfs.

ZealousD

He's a better version of a strong 3 cost mage only card. Kirin Tor at least requires you to have the secret in your hand. Mad Scientist is a 2 cost that pays for himself many times over. If he added a secret from your deck to your hand he would be reasonable but as he stands he is ridiculous and it has been a year for him with no nerfs.

Dude I'm not saying he shouldn't be nerfed. I agree that he should be priority number one for a nerf, even before Dr. Balanced. But nerf him. Don't eliminate him.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Watching reckful's stream and I just saw a legend patron warrior use Maexxna to charge and kill a Geddon, hahaha.

I think mad scientist is in a good spot. Maybe at 3 mana he'd be slightly more balanced. But there is also the potential at that point that he isn't worth playing outside of very niche decks.

Believe me, mad scientist is a card that annoys me a lot, but I don't think he is as brokenly good as some people think. Especially now that we have more ways to combat secrets, mainly kezan mystic, which I think is actually stronger than mad scientist.

Some of the strengths of cantrip are basically not present if mad scientist only draws you the secret. And mad scientist is basically worthless if it only plays a secret from hand. It is only good because it does both, with the drawback of being random and having less stats. 2/1 would be perhaps more appropriate stats for the card, I won't argue against that.

But at 3 mana, or with worse text than it has now, you're basically asking for secrets to kinda be removed from most decks. I think there were exactly 2 decks that ran secrets before mad scientist, freeze mage and face hunter. Removing mad scientist from viability probably eliminates tempo mage and midrange hunter right off the bat. It easily knocks freeze mage down a couple pegs. Face hunters as well, and while I would like to see that, I don't think that is the best way to approach nerfs.

Lets say they make it 2/1. Suddenly earth shock is a bit better at least. Anyway, rambling over.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What's a good tempo mage deck? I was doing pretty good with it last season but tweaked it a bit this season and I think I screwed it up.

Here's the one I've used:

7pufDRzl.png

I'm not sure if the mech yeti is standard but I've been liking it, though I should maybe have another azure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom