• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

In terms of relative frequency to other decks, how often is everyone seeing Patron on the ladder (at their respective ranks)?

I haven't jumped into this ranked season yet, so not much to contribute myself, but at the tipping point of May I was seeing Patron a ton. Maybe 30% of the time at ranks 5 upwards.
Tracker says I faced exactly 30% warriors in my last ranked games around 14-13. Not all were Patron, though, some straight up control warriors as well.

Haunted

Missing lethal and realising it after the fact is the worst feeling.

I could've totally imp-losioned my own Boom Bot for certain lethal.

Danj

Almost got 200 gold today, should I buy 2 packs or should I try for arena (with the very high possibility of not even breaking even)?

Well depends on whether you want to play Arena. If you say it is unlikely to break even just buying two packs would obviously be more efficient in terms of spending gold but if you want to play an Arena just go for it.

My past few arena runs have been pretty crummy, so yeah I don't think it's likely I'd break even. I'll go for the 2 packs then, thanks.

Welp. I did that and the 2 packs were garbage :(

57moqAn.jpg

FQvoD3b.jpg

Even with johnsmith's deck I can't advance past Rank 13, again everyone has Dr. Boom.

kingocfs

Yeah there's quite a few patrons last time I laddered, but that was already a week ago or so. I doubt it has changed much, but there might still be more Hunters and Warlocks on ladder.
It's annoying because it's not a very fun deck to play against. That said there are classes that have cards that can deal with the Patrons effectively.

Anyone currently playing on EU that wouldn't mind me spectating? I have the quest for it, but nobody seems to be coming online on my friendslist today.

Definitely more Warlocks. I hardly ever see zoo anymore, though. A lot of different midrange decks.

Acinixys

Classes with board clear spells are so stupid in arena

Im playing Druid with 3 swipes and 1 starfall and its brought be back from 0/2 to 6/2

dac15_cool.gif

Dahbomb

Oh so they were playing the "deck builder" format where you just click recommend cards and the game picks cards for you.

So Ekop lucked out getting Dr Balanced in his deck and of course ran through everything with it.

Dahbomb

I got a second ragnaros. Any chance Blizzard will nerf it anytime soon?
Nope. The card has survived for so long and currently it's not that strong compared to what you face on Ladder (good against Handlock though).

The only Legendary that is on the nerf list is Dr Balanced. After that there's a huge gap, probably Emperor Thaurissan but no way that gets the stick and Dr Balanced doesn't.

JesseZao

Second (Double!?) )Sunwalker Ramp Druid today. What is up with that?

I guess they can get away with it since The Black Knight is an awful card in over 50% of the ladder matches, so nobody would run it.

Ladekabel

Was up against a priest who was able to buff his Northshire Cleric with Power Word Shield and Velen's Chosen to 3 - 9 by turn 4. I already burned my Shadow Word Pain and every other way I wanted to get rid of it he had an answer to.

His argument is that Nozdormu has an interesting/fun mechanic, so it's a good card. Who gives a shit though if it's attached to an overpriced card that absolutely nobody plays

Dahbomb

Yeah, I'm not buying Brode's argument on how Nozdormu is a good card
Ben Brode will defend the existence of certain bad cards because that's his job.

It's also his job to say that certain cards aren't clearly broken.... that is until they are nerfed in which case it's his job to argue why those cards are in fact broken.

That said I still enjoyed this Ben Brode video. More community managers and such need to put out similar videos and give their opinion on certain mechanics/particularities about the game. You can only say so much on Twitter at one time.

Dahbomb

LMAO @ one of Ben Brode's explanation.

"Understanding why Eye for an Eye is a bad card is what makes you go from being a bad player to a good player."

ROFL! That's like the bull shit that Ninja Gaiden players spew when the bloated movelists for the weapons is criticized.

"Some moves are just skill test. The skill test is that if you are using those moves then you are a bad player and thus get punished for using them!"

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That is copied verbatim from MaRo, chief designerblogger of MTG, who justifies bad cards as a skill test.

I agree that not all cards can be good otherwise they'll run out of product to push very quickly but come on.

Schryver

Im playing tempo mage against hunter. I got basically the 2 best mirror entitys possible (highmane and a 7/8? taunt) and I still got crushed. wow

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
First time playing arena since GvG came out. First 3 matches are against Mage. Ah, Hearthstone.

Yep 4 out of 5 were mages. 2-3. So lame.

Dahbomb

That is copied verbatim from MaRo, chief designerblogger of MTG, who justifies bad cards as a skill test.

I agree that not all cards can be good otherwise they'll run out of product to push very quickly but come on.
Yeah Kripp said that he wasn't proposing that EVERY card be good, he knows that's an impossibility. There will always be bad cards simply because cards are judged based on relative strength to each other.

What he's saying is that completely trash/useless tier cards that have obviously better analogues should be bumped up from "useless" to "mediocre".

MTG is a different case. That's a physical card game, they can't go back and change already released cards... that's just not how it works. Sure you can re-print a card but that's not worth the effort. Hearthstone is in a very easy position for the devs being able to tinker cards at will because it's an online only game. They should be taking advantage of it more often.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Making a really dumb mistake and missing lethal because of it only to lose next turn :/

Ha don't feel too bad about it shit happens, for example today i was one dmg off lethal with drake and evis, i should have attacked for 1 dmg in an earlier turn but i like saving my weapons charges, i fucked up. Also guys i have been playing oil rogue all day today and even tough i have been stuck in rank 7-6 it's been super fun, what a fantastic deck.

Schryver

Ha don't feel too bad about it shit happens, for example today i was one dmg off lethal with drake and evis, i should have attacked for 1 dmg in an earlier turn but i like saving my weapons charges, i fucked up. Also guys i have been playing oil rogue all day today and even tough i have been stuck in rank 7-6 it's been super fun, what a fantastic deck.

Just went back to oil rogue after going on a bad streak with tempo mage. so good

So I wanted to test Hunter if he's capable of being more than just face or mid-hunter. And it turns out he is:

The first test was to see how many times I could beat the AI (Expert) and won 5 times without any problems.
BabJSIV.jpg

Next step was to see how well my Mech - Giant hunter deck would hold against with a real player.
KO5MqlN.jpg

And payed off so good. The hand lock player conceded.

Yeah Kripp said that he wasn't proposing that EVERY card be good, he knows that's an impossibility. There will always be bad cards simply because cards are judged based on relative strength to each other.

What he's saying is that completely trash/useless tier cards that have obviously better analogues should be bumped up from "useless" to "mediocre".

MTG is a different case. That's a physical card game, they can't go back and change already released cards... that's just not how it works. Sure you can re-print a card but that's not worth the effort.
MTG is not a different case. They don't release bad cards in every single set for 20 years by accident. It's not like every set comes out, a bunch of bad cards get printed and the MTG designers wring their hands and say " whoops! Oh geez! We tried so hard to print no bad cards but failed miserably again!"

I disagree with Mark Rosewater about a lot of things but his article on "why bad cards exist" is a really great explanation of this topic.

I would also add to Brodes points that arena is more interesting when cards vary in power level on multiple axes and are also sometimes flat out better than each other.

Dahbomb

Fuck Kezan Mystic...

Never comes when you need it and when you do they play their Kezan Mystic to counter.

At least that's what will happen when people start running too many KM's in the meta. The Mages will start putting in KM in their decks to counter yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom