• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

I had this bug happen to me today :/ Sacrifice doesn't trigger until I attack the second time.
It might look a bit confusing, but you can see Dr. Boom attacks with the secret up, and then it doesn't trigger, I play shield on the healbot and it attacks and triggers the secret.

Did he have a full board prior to you attacking the Recruit with Dr. Boom? Noble Sacrifice only triggers if there is room for the minion.

Minsc

Gold Member
re: Nefarian vs Ragnaros balance

I'd love to see the final win ratios after the event.

Yeah, it would have to be filtered by removing the first 5 games people played from the stats and any games that didn't make it to turn 2 to be accurate though, to avoid all the Rag instant quits and people who simply don't understand how to play the hero for their first few games.

Or, whatever the stats say, I'd say add 10-20% to Rag and take 10-20% away from Nef.

Just remembered something way back from the closed beta. I was running a Patron-ish deck before it was a card. Long story short, I'd play a Violet Teacher later in the game and hoped it lived. Then I'd follow up with Warsong Commander and Raid Leader with spells to spawn charged 2/1 Students. Don't think I got it to work that much though. Shame I wasn't smart enough back then to run Frothings in the combo instead, probably would of worked better.

Rosenskjold

Did he have a full board prior to you attacking the Recruit with Dr. Boom? Noble Sacrifice only triggers if there is room for the minion.

I see, that's the mechanic I didn't know. A bit odd, but it makes sense if it can't trigger because there's no room for him.

br3wnor

Yeah, it would have to be filtered by removing the first 5 games people played from the stats and any games that didn't make it to turn 2 to be accurate though, to avoid all the Rag instant quits and people who simply don't understand how to play the hero for their first few games.

Or, whatever the stats say, I'd say add 10-20% to Rag and take 10-20% away from Nef.

Exactly. First game I played Rag I got destroyed and thought it was completely unbalanced, then I played as Nef and got beat by Rag a few times and finally got back to playing Rag and won myself, realizing it was pretty even. You have less room for error as Rag but Nef runs out of steam once the Rag hero power kicks in so after a while it evens out pretty well.

Main issue for mode w/ me is having the same deck so once you play it a good amount you realize it basically comes down to card draw and finally gets boring.

embalm

I feel like Nef vs Rag plays out really similar to Zoolock vs Handlock.

Nef locks down early board control, and then has to charge the face once the game starts to go late. Rag is packed with huge tempo swing cards and can take the board by surprise with molten giant and board clears. Both of their hero powers are more powerful than drawing a card. Both have unbeatable win conditions in the right circumstances.

inky

This mode... lol. He got poison seeds into equality into Lightning Storm when I had that 20/20 dude in play, a giant and a good board for lethal ( I figured he was saving some removal, but LS he just drew that turn):

hearthstone2015-06-195lome.png

Still won:

I still feel it's like 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 against Rag. Previous game I insta won with: T1 Dragon Consort -> T2 Chromaggus -> T3 Pyroblast from hero power. There's nothing to do against that as Rag. 0% chance, whereas Nef's free spells always have the chance to turn the game around.

JSR_Cube

This game is...not very fun for new people.

Yep. I had a friend recently try it out and he lasted about a week then started to run into players with multiple rares In a deck. I tried to convince him to stick around and mess with some of the cheaper decks out there but he just gave up.

Pooya

They should probably change the tutorial now so that new players just play face hunter from the start instead of some basic mage deck. Much more enjoyable for everyone!

Dahbomb

Yep. I had a friend recently try it out and he lasted about a week then started to run into players with multiple rares In a deck. I tried to convince him to stick around and mess with some of the cheaper decks out there but he just gave up.
Oh boy....

Good thing he didn't run into players running multiple Legendaries in their decks.

They should probably change the tutorial now so that new players just play face hunter from the start instead of some basic mage deck. Much more enjoyable for everyone!
About as good of an idea as Valve using Sniper in the tutorial for DOTA 2.

Minsc

Gold Member

It's still pretty friendly and accessible if their expectations are reasonable. Other F2P CCGs can be much worse.

You can basically pick any deck you'd want to play (except maybe control warrior), and be able to get it in a couple weeks for around $40 (maybe a substitution or two in the case of decks with 3+ legendaries), depending on your luck with arena matches.

Losing might not be fun, but it's more valuable than winning in terms of gaining knowledge.

Raika

So I just started last week and I'm getting curbstomped most of the time... :[

I'm F2P, should I save up gold for the Naxx expansion or spend on booster packs? I've read online people advising to just drop real money on Naxx, but I'm not too serious about this game yet. But at the same time losing all the time isn't helping things, more tempted to ragequit than to get serious.

What to do? D:

Raxus

I'm F2P, should I save up gold for the Naxx expansion or spend on booster packs? I've read online people advising to just drop real money on Naxx, but I'm not too serious about this game yet. But at the same time losing all the time isn't helping things, more tempted to ragequit than to get serious.

What to do? D:

Drop real money on Naxx and BRM. Spend gold on arena/packs. If you get good at arena = unlimited packs.

That is my 2 cents anyways.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

What to do? D:

In theory you should still be able to win.

Run down this check list

- Choose a hero you like at first and concentrate on that
- Make sure you play and complete all of the SP class challenges on normal and heoric
- Level up to class level 10 as you unlock the basic class cards for each class as you level to 10
- Create a custom deck and swap in some of the cards you unlock
- Ranked seems to match you better than casual so just always play ranked and just don't care about your rank
- Learn the fundamentals... How to build a good deck, how to synergize with your hero power, when to board control, and when to play face ect...

IMO some classes are easier to stay competitive with than others with just the base cards.

johnsmith

remember me
lol, did you guys just see tides get rekt and stomp off stream?

He's playing hunter with deathlord, and gets hunters marked and a savannah pops out.

ViviOggi

Also while the collection is of course a factor and blaming better cards is often the obvious thing to do always keep in mind that you're likely not playing well at all unless you have lots of general card game experience, and even then it'll take some time to grasp the finer details. People have been playing this game for well over a year, giving them not only a massive head start in terms of gold but also experience. On the other hand people you meet in the 20 ranks are almost guaranteed to be awful at the game, no matter for how many months they've been grinding dailies and how many golden Booms they have, so focus on improving your play and there'll be enough space for you to win matches. As long as you're enjoying the game your collection will get decent eventually.

I crafted Sylvanas

I now have

Dr Boom
Ragnaros
Sylvanas
King Mukla

BRM and Naxx legendaries

What are the other big time key neutral legendaries?

mxgt

Banned
I crafted Sylvanas

I now have

Dr Boom
Ragnaros
Sylvanas
King Mukla

BRM and Naxx legendaries

Harrison
Ysera
The Black Knight
Alexstrasza
Sneeds

Harrison has the most use in this current meta, the rest are quite slow but have their place.

ViviOggi

I crafted Sylvanas

I now have

Dr Boom
Ragnaros
Sylvanas
King Mukla

BRM and Naxx legendaries

Tech cards: Harrison, The Black Knight - these can fit in pretty much any midrange and slower type of deck, but their effectiveness changes with the meta. Nozdormu if you play against Lifecoach a lot.

Anything else depends entirely on what kind of decks you want to play, but there's some neutrals that find use across a wider range of decks than others. #1 would be Alex, #2 Ysera for those really heavy control decks, and maybe Sneed's.

Then there's Geddon who is Control Warrior only, but good to great in there. Thalnos is essential in Rogue and finds its way into combo decks here and there, but really you'll only want to craft this if you like playing Rogue. Malygos lets you get in on the FOTM Dragon Handlock, if it turns out to be just a fad won't find much other use for it though.

Dahbomb

I want to see someone try to make an all-epic deck.
Here's my shitty submission, someone can try it out and tell me how bad it is.

Epic Giant Warlock

2x Doomsayers
2x Recombobulators
2x BGH
2x MCT
2x Blood Knights
2x Shade of Naxx
2x Pit Lords
2x Enhanco Mechanos
2x Bane of Doom
2x Faceless Manipulators
2x Demonheart
2x Sky Golems
2x Molten Giants
2x Mountain Giants
2x Sea Giants

Duster

Those damn servers seem to be down.

What to do? D:

It'll take ages to save enough gold for Naxx, I think you're better off getting some basic packs to start with to make that grind easier/more enjoyable. Lucky for you there'll be a steady supply of free packs from tavern brawl for a few weeks.

Avoid the arena to start with, I followed some bad advice to go there for better rewards and it was just a waste of gold.

Pooya

Here's my shitty submission, someone can try it out and tell me how bad it is.

Epic Giant Warlock

2x Doomsayers
2x Recombobulators
2x BGH
2x MCT
2x Blood Knights
2x Shade of Naxx
2x Pit Lords
2x Enhanco Mechanos
2x Bane of Doom
2x Faceless Manipulators
2x Demonheart
2x Sky Golems
2x Molten Giants
2x Mountain Giants
2x Sea Giants

I'm not sure how you expect doomsayers to work in this deck.

Dahbomb

I'm not sure how you expect doomsayers to work in this deck.
Doomsayer is only there to stop early aggression which this deck is going to get crushed by. There are no other AOEs in this deck.

Besides it was really tough filling up the slots with all Epics.

I can explain the logic behind all the cards:

Giants: Pretty obvious why they are in there, this deck plays similar to Handlock. Sea Giants are in there because you will get swarmed by minions and this can allow you to put a big body in early (not that it will help).

Enhanco Mechano : Only way an all epic Warlock deck can get taunts in. Severely unreliable but it can combo with Blood Knights as well.

Pit Lords: Basically your only solid 4 drop minion. Synergy with Demonheart.

MCT, Shade, Blood Knight: Usable 3 drops. In certain situations can result in huge swing. Bloodknight has synergy with Enhanco.

BGH: Big removal.

Faceless: Faceless your Giants or your Pitlord with Demonheart. Or their taunts.

Recombobulators: Mostly to heal your Giants or convert a couple of them into Deathwing.

Bane of Doom: Small removal that can hopefully get you something huge.

Demonheart: Another much needed removal for this deck.

Schryver

Just lost an arena game because all three of my op druid taunts were in the last 6 cards of my deck. Thought the deck was halfway decent but no swipe hurt. 95 gold plus a pack is nice for 5 wins tho

Hemet is so fucking bad he's not even worth playing as a 2 drop from Unstable Portal because I have 2 drops that do more then Hemet. His terrible-ass battlecry can't even get any use.

Other then that, the last 3 Unstable Portals in Arena for me were -

Hemet
Gahz'rilla (aka instant win)
Nozdormu

lol unstable portal

What the hell is the point of Nozdormu if people can do shit like 5 seconds after the rope runs out? Worthless card

Opiate

There have been a couple of times when I clearly had a mage beat (top decking, I was at decent health, had board control and card advantage, etc.) when he got some unstable portal like ysera that I couldn't handle and won him the game. There have been other times when people have done a turn 2 unstable and turn 3 giant, or something.

It can occasionally be a one card win condition. Mages have several of those, frankly (e.g. Antonidas), where a single card can suddenly turn the entire game around.

Pooya

I got infinite fireballed in Brawl :\ Nef got Antonidas from unstable portal, then dropped that spell cost -3. I was done...

They queued up the actions before the time ran out. You're just seeing the animations play out.

I know but it's sooo frustrating to see

There have been a couple of times when I clearly had a mage beat (top decking, I was at decent health, had board control and card advantage, etc.) when he got some unstable portal like ysera that I couldn't handle and won him the game. There have been other times when people have done a turn 2 unstable and turn 3 giant, or something.

It can occasionally be a one card win condition. Mages have several of those, frankly (e.g. Antonidas), where a single card can suddenly turn the entire game around.

Yeah Reynad was right when he said Unstable Portal can sometimes just instantly win the game.

Heropon

I had my first lose by disconnect in arena and it's the most frustrating experience I ever had in hearthstone. I feel robbed and I didn't even spend real money, I wonder how someone who payed would feel. ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom