• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schryver

I had my first lose by disconnect in arena and it's the most frustrating experience I ever had in hearthstone. I feel robbed and I didn't even spend real money, I wonder how someone who payed would feel. ;-;

ouch never thought of that before. wonder what the percentage of people who actually pay for arena is. would be interesting to see

Heropon

ouch never thought of that before. wonder what the percentage of people who actually pay for arena is. would be interesting to see

I'd like to think that it's very low for something that can go so badly. I payed an arena once with leftover money but after this I'm not doing that again.

cHinzo

This game is...not very fun for new people.

Yep. I had a friend recently try it out and he lasted about a week then started to run into players with multiple rares In a deck. I tried to convince him to stick around and mess with some of the cheaper decks out there but he just gave up.

Yeah I really dislike playing constructed or even casual, because I only got basic decks. Even though it's better for newer players now, since Tavern Brawl is the new casual and I like it. Set decks, no disadvantage when being new. Also u should recommend playing arena. It's a pretty even playing field, because everyone is playing with random cards there.

Currently 5-2 with my so-so Mage deck. It has an alright early, no lategame cards, no fireballs, no flamecannons, no flamewakers, but it does have 3 flamestrikes lol.

I had my first lose by disconnect in arena and it's the most frustrating experience I ever had in hearthstone. I feel robbed and I didn't even spend real money, I wonder how someone who payed would feel. ;-;

Happened to me twice in one run. One game which I was winning and one turn away from lethal. It's so infuriating. I wish there was an alternate solution than just automatically getting a L.

I also never play arena matches on mobile .

JesseZao

Yeah I really dislike playing constructed or even casual, because I only got basic decks. Even though it's better for newer players now, since Tavern Brawl is the new casual and I like it. Set decks, no disadvantage when being new. Also u should recommend playing arena. It's a pretty even playing field, because everyone is playing with random cards there.

Currently 5-2 with my so-so Mage deck. It has an alright early, no lategame cards, no fireballs, no flamecannons, no flamewakers, but it does have 3 flamestrikes lol.

Arena is where I learned the ropes. Now that I have a good collection, I like constructed more, but Arena has it's place because of the even playing field for sure.

How many people bought a hero? I picked up Medivh just cause I prefer it over Jaina.

I haven't. I would have gotten Varian if they'd done him for Warrior. I might pick up Medivh because he seems cool but I haven't bitten yet. I'm surprised I've yet to see anyone I've matched up with actually using one of these alt heroes. It makes me wonder if anyone is actually buying them at that price?

Triz

I haven't. I would have gotten Varian if they'd done him for Warrior. I might pick up Medivh because he seems cool but I haven't bitten yet. I'm surprised I've yet to see anyone I've matched up with actually using one of these alt heroes. It makes me wonder if anyone is actually buying them at that price?
Well some are lol.

IceMarker

How many people bought a hero? I picked up Medivh just cause I prefer it over Jaina.

It must be nice to have disposable income.

I kid, but seriously, for 10 bucks and no opportunity to buy with gold or earn it, the whole deal just screams cash grab and until Blizzard lowers the price or offers more for the dough, I'm not buying.

Why even play control decks anymore? your games lasts three times as long, but you still have a similar win rate as pure face decks.

I like dropping big minions with interesting effects like "At the end of your turn, add a Dream card to your hand." and text other than "Charge" or "Give this minion +2 attack this turn".

Dahbomb

I have disposable income too but that is so blatantly a lazy ass cash grab that I can't in good conscience support it. Blizzard has to work harder to get the money from fans.

If I really feel like giving Blizzard $10, I would just rather spend it on packs.

https://tempostorm.com/articles/challengestone-2-full-player-list-revealed

In other news Challengestone 2 announced for next weekend. I am sad to see no Savyj on there, I feel like he robbed himself in the first one and should've gotten a 2nd shot at this. I guess they just wanted the two finalists from last time and all new players for this time. Happy to see Noxious on there though.

jiiikoo

Banned
Anyone want to add me as their friend so I can spectate and do the quest? :eek:

I'm on the Americas Region
BattleNet ID: jiiikoo#2371

Sande

No way. It's overpriced by at least 8 dollars. Blizzard isn't asking what they think they're worth, they're asking the absolute maximum they think they can get away with.

Had a weird match in arena. Thanks to unstable portal/duplicate/faceless manipulator shenanigans there were 2 Yseras and 3 Sneed's old shredders in that match (of those, I had only one Ysera). I still won because my opponent made some bad plays and he happened to get Edwin VanCleef out of a Sneed's.

I feel like this deck can go far thanks to Ysera but the 2 matches so far have been weird. First there was a hunter that pretty much had an animal companion to play every round and overall an answer to everything always and then this mage I mentioned. So currently at 1-1.

Heropon

And my fifth legendary is...

CIwSPxb.png

Ehhhh, I already had it by spending 1600 dust... I'm just 400 dust short of getting Sylvanas but if Blizzard nerfs Dr. Balance I'm losing 1200 dust in the long run. What to do? This is a really tough decision.

Tacitus_

And my fifth legendary is...

Ehhhh, I already had it by spending 1600 dust... I'm just 400 dust short of getting Sylvanas but if Blizzard nerfs Dr. Balance I'm losing 1200 dust in the long run. What to do? This is a really tough decision.

Just don't DE it before you can craft Sylvanas. And imo, he's not getting nerfed. He's been like that for over half a year.

Heropon

Just don't DE it before you can craft Sylvanas. And imo, he's not getting nerfed. He's been like that for over half a year.

I miscalculated and thought I just needed to disenchant Dr. Boom and the other crap that I got to get 1600 dust but I need 10 more. That means I have until I open another pack to think about this. Thanks for giving your opinion.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Woohoo my first golden legendary

Seriously considering dusting it and making Sylvanas

crazy.gif
I'd keep it. Harrison goes back and forth in the meta.

Has there been any tiny news about 2v2 recently ?

I'm on the fence about uninstalling this, since 1v1 is getting super stale for me.
Been playing since very early beta, but in the last few months 1v1 RNG loss is seriously getting to me.

I just want some form of COOP mode, and do dailies there with friends/family.

arimanius

Does anyone play a priest deck? I took the standard control deck and tweaked it slightly. I like being able to control the other opinions minions. I am thinking of swamping out shrinkmeister since he doesn't seem to do much.

HrAlsww.png

Piloted Sky Golem killed Cairne.

That and Sludge Belcher. You need to attack 3 times with Cairne/Baine to fully kill a Belcher, once with Sky Golem kills the belcher, and the Sky Golem lives.

Not like many decks actually play Sky Golem, since you could drop Sylvanis or Emperor on that turn, or Savannah Highmane, stuff like that

ViviOggi

four blastmage shots against a six minion board: 3 face, 1 into the single >2 health minion

enemy arcane missiles: kill my faerie dragon

my arcane missiles against a two minion board: 2 face, 1 into the high health minion

nice game

How did piloted sky golem kill cairne when cairne was already not being used well before gvg came out? Card basically stopped being used much around the time of naxx, let alone gvg. And even sky golem is barely used, so I don't think a not played card like sky golem would stop cairne from being played.

Dahbomb

Loatheb and Belcher with Sylvanas nerfed put Cairne in the body bag.

Sky Golem officially slayed it. It's quite LITERALLY a better Cairne.

ViviOggi

literally every single arcane missile i played this run went 2 face, 1 minion (worst target), no matter whether my opponent had one or fucking six minions on the board

meanwhile this braindead priest obviously gets the game-winning 33% tempo juggle sniping my mana wyrm (other targets: face, full health yeti)
enemy shredder = succubus, my shredder = novice engineer

fuck arena tbh

Pooya

Do we expect another expansion like GvG this year? I'm sitting on quite a bit of dust, dunno what to do. don't want to craft something when the successor to Dr.Boom comes out...

tootsi666

Do we expect another expansion like GvG this year? I'm sitting on quite a bit of dust, dunno what to do. don't want to craft something when the successor to Dr.Boom comes out...
I'd say it's safe to expect atleast one expansion coming later this year, maybe one adventure before that.

But there is also a huge difference between 6 atk and 4. Sky Golem can kill a sludgebelcher, cairne cant.

Why is that even important? You're not playing cairne to break through taunts. You're playing it for how difficult it is to remove efficiently. Sky golem isn't even going to survive a round to take care of a sludge belcher (not to mention, even if it does, you have to remove the 1/2 or you lose your golem anyway, meaning sky golem is not cleanly killing belcher regardless). The type of deck that has a choice between these cards aren't benefited from higher attack more than they are benefitted from higher hp. If we're talking about a mech deck, the preferred choice is clear. Outside of that, cairne is a much stickier minion that is much more consistently going to do what you want, creating a board presence that is hard to remove efficiently.

The main reason cairne or sky golem isn't played, and even sylvanas to a certain extent, anymore is because they are too slow to impact a game you're behind in and lacking in versatility in games when you are even ahead. If you're ahead, your main goal is often to stop their strongest chance to win, which is usually some form of burst damage. These minions don't do that, therefore they've been cut for cards that do do that, like shieldmaiden for example. Even ET is going to help accelerate a win, reducing the chances they can get to their win condition.

As much as I like to run cards that work well into the attrition game plan, most top decks, especially in this meta, have much much faster gameplans and have no room for high value slow sticky 6 drops. And it has been this way since miracle rogue pre-naxx, almost consistently after the meta has "settled". So I think their decline has little to do with new cards but more of how people have approached the game on a more aggressive strategic level than anything else. And the control decks that might have ran these cards in the past have opted for cards that work to beat that aggressive strategy.

Cat Party

Does anyone play a priest deck? I took the standard control deck and tweaked it slightly. I like being able to control the other opinions minions. I am thinking of swamping out shrinkmeister since he doesn't seem to do much.

Keep the shrinkmeister. Great synergy with cabal shadow priest and shadow madness.

Ladekabel

Get physical and keep the shrinkmeister! Great synergy with cabal shadowpriest! Stealing belchers safed my ass a few times.

Dahbomb

Meh, I disagree. Sky golem is much easier to deal with than cairne. The difference between 4hp and 5 is huge.
The 6 damage is better on a body that is supposed to die anyway. It's like the Shredder stat distribution, it's better that it's a 4/3 than a 3/4 because you want to use it aggressively to trade up or go face when players want to ignore it. 6 damage to face is harder to ignore than 4 damage to face.

4/5 is better than a 5/4 when there is no powerful deathrattle but when there is you want the 5/4 (or at least are fine by it) to be trading up or going face with it. It being 6/4 makes it pretty damn good.

That's why Sky Golem sometimes get use in Druid and Mage, you are playing it as an aggressive body (kinda like a Highmane). You either trade up with a Dr Balanced or you go face for big damage.

That said neither cards are good in the meta like you said. Too slow to actually stop the rushdown and compete with powerful Legendaries like Sylvanas and Emperor.

Strider

Played a few games as Paladin for the first time in a bit. Class is just so so awful now :(
There wasn't even a single game I could actually use my hero power without it potentially helping the other player.
facepalm.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom