• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraXzy

So I've never really tried to climb the ladder before, I usually play the odd game here and there and get to 18 ish each month. I think the best I've ever managed is 14.

I've just had a fantastic lil win streak to get me to rank 10! Halfway to legend!

8fd076babaaa445940eb927c5fa1d248.png

43^ in banana brawl debating to stop at 50 or keep going till it ends.

Edit: Achieved 50 mark. It's 5 till 12pm right now. I'm calling it quits lol

iirate

I only played one game of Tavern Brawl this time around, but I took my paladin secrets deck in there and crushed a tempo mage that curved perfectly(they conceded ~turn 7).

It felt great.

johnsmith

remember me
Patron Warrior is the most broken shit in the game. Unless you're playing handlock, you just have to pray they get unlucky, which they won't.

Schryver

Patron Warrior is the most broken shit in the game. Unless you're playing handlock, you just have to pray they get unlucky, which they won't.
My priest deck was alternating wins and losses so I finally decided to try Patron tonight. Only got a few games in but just lost one so far at rank 7. It's really fun at least. Actually didn't see hardly any warriors all day today

bjaelke

Finally came across a golden portrait in arena (who even had the legendary card back on top of that). Absolutely crushed him with my Ogre Maul Greenskin deck.

Szadek

So I've never really tried to climb the ladder before, I usually play the odd game here and there and get to 18 ish each month. I think the best I've ever managed is 14.

I've just had a fantastic lil win streak to get me to rank 10! Halfway to legend!
Hate to tell you that,but because of the lack of bonus stars in the higher ranks, rank 5 is halfway,not 10.

Speaking of, I tried to reach legend this season with druid.It started well with a winrate from 55-60 % last week,but yesterday it dropped to 40 and today to 30%.
I have no idea why that is.Warlock used to be my best match up,but today I lost every single game against them.

Dropped from rank 3 to 5.So yeah,I give up.

johnsmith

remember me
Honestly, rank 25-5 is like 10% of the way to legendary. I can faceroll my way to 5, but getting to legend is waaaaaaaaaaaaay harder.

Xanathus

Hate to tell you that,but because of the lack of bonus stars in the higher ranks, rank 5 is halfway,not 10.

Speaking of, I tried to reach legend this season with druid.It started well with a winrate from 55-60 % last week,but yesterday it dropped to 40 and today to 30%.
I have no idea why that is.Warlock used to be my best match up,but today I lost every single game against them.

Dropped from rank 3 to 5.So yeah,I give up.

First problem is that Druid is bad vs Hunter, Patron and all types of Warlock. If you think Warlock is your best match up, that's part of your problems right there.

G.ZZZ

I get to rank 5 every season by just doing quests. If i try to push for legend, i get rank 4 usually before getting frustrated/bored (once i got rank 3 ). 25-5 is essentially non-constructed. Rank 5-to 1 is like 90% of the job.

Majine

Banned
I hope a future brawl is, instead of you picking your deck, you pick one for your opponent. I want to see the buttfucked games that creates.

ViviOggi

Honestly, rank 25-5 is like 10% of the way to legendary. I can faceroll my way to 5, but getting to legend is waaaaaaaaaaaaay harder.

I get to rank 5 every season by just doing quests. If i try to push for legend, i get rank 4 usually before getting frustrated/bored (once i got rank 3 ). 25-5 is essentially non-constructed. Rank 5-to 1 is like 90% of the job.
Yup and I'd say there's another spike around rank 3, that's where the no-streak gauntlet has weeded out almost all mediocre players and non-meta decks. You'll hardly see any clear misplays anymore and also start getting matched against low tier legend players (which really doesn't mean much though).

Xanathus

Yup and I'd say there's another spike around rank 3, that's where the no-streak gauntlet has weeded out almost all mediocre players and non-meta decks. You'll hardly see any clear misplays anymore and also start getting matched against low tier legend players (which really doesn't mean much though).

If anything, getting matched against low tier legend players makes it easier to rank up close to the end of season because they're less likely to be TriHard and may be experimenting with less consistent decks.

Acinixys

Just had the GREATEST Priest vs Priest match EVER

As you can see I only had 4 HP left, while he had 30

He had 3 Northshire on the board, and only 4 cards left in his deck

There were 7 damaged minions in play, because of his Pyromancer

I played Circle of Healing, and he took 78 damage from fatigue

Poor guy. He was so sure of his win

Haunted

I win streak dailies up until rank 12, then lose once and stop playing ranked.

That's been half my seasons in Hearthstone.

The other half is that I get back to ranked halfway into the season, win streak up to 9/10, then lose and go back to rank 10 and stop playing ranked.

What I'm trying to say is fuck zoo lock face hunter tempo mage zoo lock.

Dahbomb

Nope. Paladin is stronk, but their most insane cards are rares and epics, not basic cards... also their hero power isn't op in Arena.
Their hero power is actually pretty strong in Arena.

Paladin has insane basic cards as well. Truesilver GG, Consecrate, Hammer of Wrath and Blessing of Kings are godlike.

Then their commons are amazing too with Argent Protector and Shielded Minibot.

Their rares are better than Mage's rare with Aldor and Muster for Battle (Muster for Battle has 3rd highest win rate in the game after Dr Balanced and Tirion).

By far the best class behind Mage and quite ahead the other classes.

So Team Archon is hosting the "Archon Team League Championships" which I guess has a $250,000 prize pool. That is crazy money for team to pull together as a prize pool - there must be some substantial corporate sponsorships for this.

Szadek

First problem is that Druid is bad vs Hunter, Patron and all types of Warlock. If you think Warlock is your best match up, that's part of your problems right there.
I played an anti aggro druid,and last week it did very well against most popular decks ( hunter,warlock,mage) or at least broke even( warrior,druid,Paladin.).

FeD.nL

I really hope that they will increase the team size for next year and do like a Set around April, adventure in the summer and a set in december.

But they'll probably just pump out more cosmetics.

gutshot

I really hope that they will increase the team size for next year and do like a Set around April, adventure in the summer and a set in december.

But they'll probably just pump out more cosmetics.

Team 5 is up to 50 members, according to a recent Ben Brode tweet.

And it looks like we will get at least two more adventures and/or expansion sets this year, bringing us to 3 total.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Probably a new card expansion in August or September. Then balance changes will be locked until Blizzcon. Another adventure at the end of the year.

The increased team size probably won't be utilized for cards or expansions, since their current pace is pretty good. More likely used for the side stuff like Tavern Brawl and cosmetics.

I don't understand Kripps video because he acts like control decks don't exist. Whereas Control Warrior and Handlock are both top tier decks right now (and have always been relevant). Other control decks go in and out of fashion too.

The traditional triangle has been Aggro > Control > Combo, which is pretty close to how it is in Hearthstone right now since Patron Warrior craps on Face Hunter, but gets crapped on by Handlock and Control Warrior, which get hit by aggro decks like Zoo.

Xanathus

I played an anti aggro druid,and last week it did very well against most popular decks ( hunter,warlock,mage) or at least broke even( warrior,druid,Paladin.).

If you're going for an anti-aggro deck then there are so many other classes that can do it better, Deathlord Priest comes to mind. Druid has to be one of the worst for anti-aggro because of their weak removals.

Rapstah

There are some amazing Hearthstone science Youtube channels. Weird interactions like Bane of Doom on a dead minion (Violet Teacher + Knife Juggler can kill stuff before Bane of Doom actually goes off) only summoning a demon if it can kill the minion after it is re-summoned with full health in the graveyard. Yes, apparently that's how HS works.

Szadek

If you're going for an anti-aggro deck then there are so many other classes that can do it better, Deathlord Priest comes to mind. Druid has to be one of the worst for anti-aggro because of their weak removals.
I tried priest,never worked too well more,so I moved on to druid.
That worked well for quite sometime.

Any tips on doing well in arena? I probably average 3 wins. Would be awesome to do better.

Better drafting is usually a good place to start. http://www.heartharena.com/tierlist

Keep in mind that the list isn't the end all be all solution. A lot of card pick's value is based on your other card picks. I generally only refer to lists like these when I am unsure between two cards I consider to be good picks in a specific draft. Curve is as important as picking good cards. But there is also strategy in that as well, like you might want to pick a great card early on even if it doesn't fit your curve in the hopes that the randomness gives you good choices to curve out well.

If you're having trouble duing matches, watch some good arena players.

Mixed2k

I never grind to legend (only 1x legend) but this month I ended playing more than usual, got to rank 1 yesterday just to drop to rank 4 on the same day. Feels bad man...

ViviOggi

For legit inexperienced players I'd absolutely recommend using the HearthArena assisted drafting tool (where you have to manually input your choices) over just looking at the tier list as it explains its picks and gives you a great breakdown of the finished deck at the end. As you become more comfortable you can phase that out and only use it for specific tough choices. But drafting is only half of it (but arguably most of the fun), piloting in arena requires good planning, decision making and general card knowledge, so yeah you'll want to read some more in-depth guides and watch arena streamers like Ratsmah, Hafu or Kripp for that.

Mixed2k

Oh man... dragon aggro paladin... with secrets to boot. People really do come up with some reallly shitty decks.

I feel the game is going to get even more aggressive with next expansion.
Every good 2,3,4 mana minion introduced in each expansion keeps expanding the possibilities for every class to go face.
Look at paladin, "oh crap paladin sucks, doesn't have early game". Then the class gets one of the best 2 mana minions as well as muster for battle. The outcome is that while midrange/control paladin have ways to survive early game, they can use the same tools to create insane early board pressure to simply go face.

I think we need some sort of taunted ancient watcher, something that you can use as tech against aggro but doesn't provide much value vs control.

Error1355

I got to rank 9 with not much more than playing my dailies, I think I am gonna actually try to make my first real push to see how close I can get to legendary.

That's the only obtainable card back I am missing. Grr. >_>

Every good 2,3,4 mana minion introduced in each expansion keeps expanding the possibilities for every class to go face.
Look at paladin, "oh crap paladin sucks, doesn't have early game". Then the class gets one of the best 2 mana minions as well as muster for battle. The outcome is that while midrange/control paladin have ways to survive early game, they can use the same tools to create insane early board pressure to simply go face.

I think we need some sort of taunted ancient watcher, something that you can use as tech against aggro but doesn't provide much value vs control.

Well, aggro paladin is really nothing new.

But putting dragons into it is about the dumbest thing possible. As the aggressor you can't hold back dragons to activate your dragon activated cards. Then throwing in secrets on top of dragons just leads to a hilariously bad deck.

Also, quite honestly I felt paladin's never lacked early game as much as people think. They lacked a way to snowball to close out a match.

ViviOggi

Deathlord is pretty much that card, unfortunately its drawback is just too big to be viable outside of Priest.

Somehow beat a mage in arena with:

t1 mana wyrm
t2 juggler
t3 flamewaker
t4 mirror entity

My druid haul is pretty top heavy. Stabilized at 1 health and came back.

zoukka

Their hero power is actually pretty strong in Arena.

Paladin has insane basic cards as well. Truesilver GG, Consecrate, Hammer of Wrath and Blessing of Kings are godlike.

Then their commons are amazing too with Argent Protector and Shielded Minibot.

Their rares are better than Mage's rare with Aldor and Muster for Battle (Muster for Battle has 3rd highest win rate in the game after Dr Balanced and Tirion).

By far the best class behind Mage and quite ahead the other classes.

Yes Paladin is great, but doesn't feel unfair like Mage. Fireballs and flamestrikes just bend the rules of tempo too much.

I don't understand Kripps video because he acts like control decks don't exist. Whereas Control Warrior and Handlock are both top tier decks right now (and have always been relevant). Other control decks go in and out of fashion too.

The traditional triangle has been Aggro > Control > Combo, which is pretty close to how it is in Hearthstone right now since Patron Warrior craps on Face Hunter, but gets crapped on by Handlock and Control Warrior, which get hit by aggro decks like Zoo.

I haven't had success with control warrior for a while now. It just feels so goddamn slow and clunky and has a high chance of drawing blank or outright a losing hand thanks to all the high cost cards in the deck. Patron warrior does so much more work right now.

If Blizzard is going to release an expansion in August as a lot of people are predicting, won't they have to announce that rather soon? As in, at some point in the next couple weeks?

gutshot

If Blizzard is going to release an expansion in August as a lot of people are predicting, won't they have to announce that rather soon? As in, at some point in the next couple weeks?

Apparently Blizzard has announced every expansion and adventure for HS at some sort of game conference. So I wouldn't expect an announcement until the next big conference, whenever that is.

EDIT: Looks like Gamescom could be when they would announce it, as they are heavily promoting their presence there. http://www.blizzgc.com/ Announce in early August, release in late Aug?

Deathlord is pretty much that card, unfortunately its drawback is just too big to be viable outside of Priest.

It also works in fatigue decks, like fatigue mage, mill decks as well, and probably paladin as well. I frankly think it is a little bit under-utilized, but maybe next expansion it could become premiere.

Apparently Blizzard has announced every expansion and adventure for HS at some sort of game conference. So I wouldn't expect an announcement until the next big conference, whenever that is.

EDIT: Looks like Gamescom could be when they would announce it, as they are heavily promoting their presence there. http://www.blizzgc.com/ Announce in early August, release in late Aug?

Make sense. Gamescom seems like the safe bet.

PAX Prime is in late August, I suppose that could be an option as well if the expansion ended up coming out in September rather than August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom