• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

Is there a good resource on tracking what cards you don't have yet in your collection? I'm wondering if I should be buying GvG or vanilla packs at this point.

cHinzo

7 game losing streak in Arena. I have no words.

Wow, two straight up 0-3s? :O Mind to share what deck u used? That way u can prevent the rest of us to not draft those cards.

ViviOggi

Is there a good resource on tracking what cards you don't have yet in your collection? I'm wondering if I should be buying GvG or vanilla packs at this point.
Someone here made a google spreadsheet where you can (manually) put in your cards owned and have it calculate % missing and stuff, might be in the OP. I don't think there's a hassle-free solution for collection tracking.

Man, I'd just absolutely love it if my Earth Shock wasn't buried at the bottom of my deck every time I faced a Handlock or Malylock.

Guess that's just too much to ask for.

This game practically begs for an in-depth stats section. I have no idea why it doesn't have relatively the same amount of functionality that HearthTracker has.

Dahbomb

I played five games just now, every single one had my opponent play a turn 6/7 Boom

Get fucked Blizzard

€: make that six
We talk about Dr Balanced every single week.

It's like no shit, the other guy will have Dr Balanced in their decks. Why the hell wouldn't they?

I actually wish that instead of 90% of players online use Dr Balanced, it turns to 99%. I want new players to disenchant all of their cards just to make Dr Balanced (basically have an all basic deck + Dr Balanced). I want Blizzard to introduce a new expansion and even with all the new Legendaries they still have 90%+ people using Dr Balanced in their decks.

Dr Balanced for life son!

ViviOggi

We talk about Dr Balanced every single week.

It's like no shit, the other guy will have Dr Balanced in their decks. Why the hell wouldn't they?
I'm just venting after facing on-curve Boom eight times in a row, which is quite the difference from the card just being in the deck. Of course the issue is known, never implied otherwise

Honestly think Hearthstone is the worst it's been since release.

Still addicted, but....
Weird, this is the most fun I've had since release. Warrior is my favorite class, though. (Still play Control Warrior 75% of the time, Grim Patron 25%)

I'm ready for an expansion of course I want Priest and Shaman to get some awesome stuff. And more goofy stuff.

ViviOggi

Weird, this is the most fun I've had since release. Warrior is my favorite class, though. (Still play Control Warrior 75% of the time, Grim Patron 25%)

I'm ready for an expansion of course I want Priest and Shaman to get some awesome stuff. And more goofy stuff.
Shaman should just get nothing at all, class is beyond saving, an utter design mess. Or just go full rng with every single card.

Today I am enjoying the brawl a bit more than last time. I put together a hunter deck and just played another hunter. On turn 7 I literally had 9 bananas and troggzor and he had about 8 or so bananas and maybe 1 or 2 minions. So I played troggzor, he conceded. That was fun.

Still lacks the excitement of nef vs rag, but it was enjoyable at least. My deck is like all minions plus UTH + quick shot + AC + glaivezooka, so it is quite different from constructed's approach.

Honestly the game doesn't have many issues, having played MTG constructed forever this is actually in a pretty good place. The biggest thing is there just aren't that many cards in the game and more cards will be great. There's like one MTG block's worth of cards in the whole game right now.

The real problems that exist:
1) Warlock hero power is going to always be amazing and scales with power creep whereas all the other ones get worse with power creep. Warlock is the Blue of Hearthstone. At least there isn't one class that has a monopoly on several critical game mechanics (like, uh, Blue)
2) Barrier for entry for new players is going to start becoming ridiculous in a year
2) There's not enough game modes

3 is probably just a matter of time since we just got Brawl they're clearly looking at this. 2 is potentially fixble. 1 is probably not though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Shaman used to feel like one of the best designed classes.

Then, crackle.

Seriously. Fuck that card.

Dahbomb

I used to think Constructed wasn't all that balanced...

Then I played two weeks of Tavern Brawl.

Also Hearthstone is way more balanced than other TCGs (way more balanced than something like Yu Gi Oh) but Hearthstone is an online TCG and has gone through a couple of years of balancing of basic cards. Not only that but it has WAY LESS cards than the other main TCGs so it should be more balanced.

1) Warlock hero power is going to always be amazing and scales with power creep whereas all the other ones get worse with power creep. Warlock is the Blue of Hearthstone. At least there isn't one class that has a monopoly on several critical game mechanics (like, uh, Blue)
2) Barrier for entry for new players is going to start becoming ridiculous in a year
2) There's not enough game modes
2 or 3 isn't really an issue because those things will be fixed over time. (They are already attempting to fix 2 and 3 somewhat)

The main problems with the game definitely include Warlock and Deathrattle/"random" cards being too good. The random cards are actually IMO the biggest issue with Hearthstone. Having random cards is fine in a TCG... but having TOP TIER random cards is a big problem. And Hearthstone has way too many top tier random cards: Dr Balanced, Sylvanas, Shredder, Ragnaros, Implosion, Knife Juggler, Unstable Portal, Flamewaker, Animal Companion, Brawl, Void Caller, all the Warlock discard mechanics, all the various Shaman cards, Shaman totems etc. It pretty much makes this game a joke competitively and quite frustrating to play online.

bjaelke

Managed to pull off Twisting Nether -> Volcanic Drake seven times in the same arena run and found that the card is still rather clunky. All these bloody deathrattle minions sticking to the board prevented me from gaining any significant advantage.

I have been using this spreadsheet for some time now: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VdqhpiremPEiIKmS1YI8_8HkdYb57wb8cD4ZLnxtffU/edit

It is one of the more in-depth (manual) trackers available at the moment.

Hopefully Blizzard will open up for their api in the future and allow various tracking sites to collect the data directly from the server. At least I would prefer it to be separate from the client.

Hektor

I'd say dont buy vanilla packs at all unless you miss some very basic cards you need, since you're getting so many free vanilla packs now trough brawl and spectator quest.

I used to think Constructed wasn't all that balanced...

Then I played two weeks of Tavern Brawl.

Also Hearthstone is way more balanced than other TCGs (way more balanced than something like Yu Gi Oh) but Hearthstone is an online TCG and has gone through a couple of years of balancing of basic cards. Not only that but it has WAY LESS cards than the other main TCGs so it should be more balanced.

2 or 3 isn't really an issue because those things will be fixed over time. (They are already attempting to fix 2 and 3 somewhat)

The main problems with the game definitely include Warlock and Deathrattle/"random" cards being too good. The random cards are actually IMO the biggest issue with Hearthstone. Having random cards is fine in a TCG... but having TOP TIER random cards is a big problem. And Hearthstone has way too many top tier random cards: Dr Balanced, Sylvanas, Shredder, Ragnaros, Implosion, Knife Juggler, Unstable Portal, Flamewaker, Animal Companion, Brawl, Void Caller, all the Warlock discard mechanics, all the various Shaman cards, Shaman totems etc. It pretty much makes this game a joke competitively and quite frustrating to play online.

The RNG is needed to keep a large audience playing actually. Also, even many pro players would (maybe to their own surprise) find the game boring, even if right now they get annoyed by it. They are playing Hearthstone and not Chess or Go for a reason.

MTG uses land screw/flood to accomplish the same thing and it's an infinitely worse way of doing it.

Without RNG, and with a guaranteed curve, and with such a high deck velocity- the game flow becomes a problem- it doesn't have enough variance. (this is purely from a game design perspective of what will be fun for people, not from a competitive perspective).

There are good random cards and some bad ones. Piloted Shredder, Unstable Portal... those are all fine in my book. They are really fun cards and they make for interesting stories- which is really healthy for the game! Ragnaros and Brawl are examples of good RNG since there is a good deal of play in maximizing the odds. Sylvanas into Brawl is one of my favorite combos.

The bad ones are things like Lightning Storm and Knife Juggler + Implosion- where it's often a simple binary switch between 'destroys the opponent' and 'sucks balls' and there's not much of that play.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Tt6gbWB.jpg

0-0 arena game.

Guess the next card he played?

Sea giant.

Has anyone ever seen an arena deck that good?

My deck a few pages back was pretty good since i went to 12 wins. Btw guys i'm doing an arena run and i just got the choice of alextrasa, blingtron and emperor, what do you think is the best? Alex seems obvious but i do have an ooze to combo with blingtron, here's the rest of the to give you guys more context.

ViviOggi

That choice is pretty tough, none of the cards is that exciting in arena. I'd just take Blingtron and get mad at the rng

Tt6gbWB.jpg

0-0 arena game.

Guess the next card he played?

Sea giant.

Has anyone ever seen an arena deck that good?
hyper rekt

Sea Giant is generally insane in arena, one of the best epics really

zoukka

Sea Giant is generally insane in arena, one of the best epics really

I was so dead even without the giant but it was such a perfect way to end that match. Like how fucking lucky you need to get to draft those mechs and get them all to your hand AND draft and draw a fucking sea giant...

Raxus

My deck a few pages back was pretty good since i went to 12 wins. Btw guys i'm doing an arena run and i just got the choice of alextrasa, blingtron and emperor, what do you think is the best? Alex seems obvious but i do have an ooze to combo with blingtron, here's the rest of the to give you guys more context.

Emperor is the obvious choice.

Dahbomb

If Blizzard wants to fix the balance of the game they should start with the basic cards because look at this shit

How does this make any sense
People have talked about this previously.

Blizzard defends this crap with "figuring out the bad cards from the good cards is a journey that makes you a better player" as a defense for not buffing bad cards.

The RNG is needed to keep a large audience playing actually. Also, even many pro players would (maybe to their own surprise) find the game boring, even if right now they get annoyed by it. They are playing Hearthstone and not Chess or Go for a reason.
I know why RNG is in the game and I am not saying they remove RNG from the game. I am saying RNG has a place in the game (like the Bombers which are fine) but it does not have a place in SO MANY fucking top tier cards. That's why IMO Blizzard did good with BRM where they introduced far less RNG cards than in GvG (which IMO was an awful expansion).

zoukka

People have talked about this a lot previously.

Blizzard defends this crap with "figuring out the bad cards from the good cards is a journey that makes you a better player" as a defense for not buffing bad cards.

Not all cards can be good in any decent CCG... besides some cards are designed for arena more than constructed and that's how it should be.

iirate

Not all cards can be good in any decent CCG... besides some cards are designed for arena more than constructed and that's how it should be.

This is exactly it. Cards fill various purposes, and not everything is designed to be constructed viable. That's completely okay.

People have talked about this a lot previously.

I feel like that is just one reason among many to have bad cards. MTG has the same deal, but arguably more motive to have and keep bad cards although I don't quite agree with the whole "bad cards = sell more packs" deal as the overriding motivation.

Now with tavern brawl, these cards that are bad in constructed can see a lot of interesting using. Saw some warlock with 2x wisp, 2x angry chicken, 2x young dragonling and I actually almost lost to it. He did like 20ish points of damage off that between bananas and poweroverwhelming.

I've also always felt like arena needs bad cards to make more interesting drafts. It might even needs more bad cards if you believe the amount of flamestrikes that go off.

They are the base set and therefore very common. I don't see why they have to adjust any.

Because new players have to use them to start with?

Those two cards are awful in Arena too but it's true some basics are way better in Arena then constructed like Boulderfist and Taz'dingo

And Ironforge Rifleman costing 3 makes no sense at all. Elven Archer is a 1/1/1 1 dmg battlecry, why is Rifleman a 3/2/2 with a 1 damage battlecry, did someone mess up?

Dahbomb

I never said anything to the contradictory.

I just think that one of their justifications for not buffing bad cards is just really silly especially from a design point of view.

It's like designing a fighting game and having some bad characters/bad moves in the game and then saying "well figuring out the good characters/moves from the bad ones is a journey all players have to make to get good". No my friend... that's called having a really imbalanced fighter.

The biggest and simplest step I think they could take to making the game more accessible to newer players is reducing the price of Adventures. 700g a wing is absurd and couldn't be more obviously trying to get you to spend money.

I've said it before but eventually they will need to either make Naxx free or drastically cut the price by the time the next xpac comes out, or even the next card packs.

Otherwise new players getting into the game will face insurmountable odds to actually start playing. Fixing the ladder system would also help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom