• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Adrenaline rush into Sacrifice Demon against Jaraxxus THE DREAM.

Dahbomb

this could give innervate or coin even. You're guaranteed something useful.
There are Warlock spells which are not all that useful unless you'rep laying against a demonlock.
I thought it only pulled from Rogue spells.

If it pulls from other classes then it's not good IMO. Way too much inconsistency then.

Since Rogue is a bit terrible in current meta, here is my suggestion to make it work a bit more reliably.

yay/nay?

1436118422-28370ab72.png

alternatively you can add those cards to your opponent's hand too (maybe for combo effect) :p

Rogue actually isn't terrible in the current meta.

But why would I ever want to spend 3 mana on that? It would have to be 1-2 or maybe even 0 mana for me to consider including that type of spell in a rogue deck tbh.

Pooya

didn't think of that, there are shitty 0 mana spells too. Actually that balances the card, right :p

pretty much everyone has random bullshit cards, rogue could use one too.

Rogue actually isn't terrible in the current meta.

But why would I ever want to spend 3 mana on that? It would have to be 1-2 or maybe even 0 mana for me to consider including that type of spell in a rogue deck tbh.

right, at high levels yeah rogue is good. I want to make it more reliable against aggros and do combos easier.

It could give you very good mid game opportunities. It's kind of like an unstable portal for rogue, 2 mana I think it makes it way OP because you're far more likely to get something good out of this than bad compared with portal and it could make up for the used 3 mana later and then some. The idea is to use it on turn 3, late in game it won't be as useful I think. So instead of wasting 3 slots in your deck with 0 mana spells you could include this instead and open up the room for new ideas or include this at top of the usual prep, backstab and others, it could be redundant then but it does reduce draw dependency of the class. It could give you room to include more minions cards if you just rely on this for creating combo cards.

right, at high levels yeah rogue is good. I want to make it more reliable against aggros and do combos easier.

I am talking about high levels of play. (edit:just noticed you were talking about low rankings which doesn't make sense =/)

I could make some lengthy statement as to why I think rogue's are strong in the current meta, or I could just link what pros think about rogue in the current meta.

Liquid hearth power rankings June Week 4

Oil Rogue
Rank 2:
Oil Rogue continues its rise up the rankings as each week players get more and more accustomed to how powerful it was before Blackrock Mountain was launched. It seems like the big shift from Patron Warrior to Control Warrior has really started give Oil Rogue the space it needs to thrive. In addition, Rogue is possibly the best counter in the entire game against Malygos Warlock. When you’ve got a good matchup against two of the most popular and threatening decks in the metagame, you’re probably in a good position.

ngower

So I booted up the game again after not playing it for like 6 months. Uhhh, they really do not reward time spent away, do they? I have outdated cards, it seems, compared to some of the behemoths I'm coming up against. No way in hell I'm paying to catch up. Any advice on getting up to speed?

JesseZao

The birth / return of MalyRogue.

Already playing maly rogue and I wouldn't even play that card :D

So I booted up the game again after not playing it for like 6 months. Uhhh, they really do not reward time spent away, do they? I have outdated cards, it seems, compared to some of the behemoths I'm coming up against. No way in hell I'm paying to catch up. Any advice on getting up to speed?

Why would they reward not playing? You just gotta earn that gold and get packs like always.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Play Face Hunter

Profit

I got rogue to 500, cause that is basically the only class I played in ranked early on. I loved my rogue decks back then.

I am close to getting Paladin to 500. I am at least 410 right now.

Shaman is at least 300+.

Everything else is abysmal. I probably have a class or two with literally 0 wins in ranked, or less than 10.

I have a golden Garrosh. Behind that I have 226 Warlock wins, 215 Pally Wins, and 205 Priest Wins. Warlock would be easiest to grind out, but I'm still not sure which one to do. lol

ngower

Already playing maly rogue and I wouldn't even play that card :D

Why would they reward not playing? You just gotta earn that gold and get packs like always.

I don't expect to be rewarded, but the game has so significantly outpaced me that it's not a huge chore to catch up.

JesseZao

I don't expect to be rewarded, but the game has so significantly outpaced me that it's not a huge chore to catch up.

If you want the most powerful new deck, you only need the newest adventure. There are always cheap decks that are viable and patron warrior is super cheap and very strong. I don't know why you would expect anything other than to be behind the curve in a card game after not playing for half a year.

What is going on... this druid played cenarius for 8 mana. He didn't play emperor thaurissan the entire game. It is like sapping cenarius reduced his price by 1 and he still retained his choose one ability so it was like playing cenarius at a discount.

I was literally banking on a 9 mana cenarius so he couldn't hero power for lethal. And somehow I just lost to this terrible druid player because of that...

Magnus

If you want the most powerful new deck, you only need the newest adventure. There are always cheap decks that are viable and patron warrior is super cheap and very strong. I don't know why you would expect anything other than to be behind the curve in a card game after not playing for half a year.

There are two differing mentalities, because Hearthstone is both a video game and a CCG. There are plenty of mechanics in many online/competitive video games to allow returning players to catch up, as the devs are aware of the huge barrier to re-entry after time away. WoW itself has this in spades.

Many people who play Hearthstone haven't played traditional CCGs before, and may not realize things that are fairly typical about that type of game, including power creep, $$-cost to get high-end competitive decks, or the fact that you'll always be behind if you take a break while new content comes out.

JesseZao

There are two differing mentalities, because Hearthstone is both a video game and a CCG. There are plenty of mechanics in many online/competitive video games to allow returning players to catch up, as the devs are aware of the huge barrier to re-entry after time away. WoW itself has this in spades.

Many people who play Hearthstone haven't played traditional CCGs before, and may not realize things that are fairly typical about that type of game, including power creep, $$-cost to get high-end competitive decks, or the fact that you'll always be behind if you take a break while new content comes out.

The thing with WoW, though, is that it's just a treadmill that gets a new coat of paint every so often. It's still the same treadmill, but you can skip all of the previous content. Card games still use previous content.

You're probably right.
Kind of a cool interaction, but if you trade with a Shredder and get a Summoner, your first minion still becomes cheaper.

Cool weapon card by the way, but I don't think people would like it. It's basically Force Roar in one card for two less mana. Granted, you'd need at least four minions to get at least 13 damage.

V-Faction

Argent Tournament expansion? Well heck, that's one of the most memorable WoW periods (for me). It's right smack-dab in between Ulduar and Icecrown Citadel patches, two of the most widely remembered points in WotLK. I think this was also peak subscribers (or close to it) before Cataclysm.

But yep, daily quests, a hub that slowly opened up, wonky-ass jousting mechanics, a 5-man instance that is also a heroic, but also a raid, but also a heroic raid. Don't forget cool-ass music, the first appearance of Relic gear, your faction reputation grinding spot. And of course... the Black Knight and Jaraxxus.

They've already pulled a significant amount if you include all the Argent(s), Jaraxxus, TBK, Tirion Fordring, and some of the Undead minions. They could potentially pull from the Knights of the Ebon Blade, maybe gear up for a Death Knight hero introduction. Icecrown itself might play backdrop for many of the minions, such as Anub'arak. It ALSO has a large "Horde vs. Alliance" theme, what with the PvP battle, the faction reputation stuff, and all the faction-specific gear.

Kind of a cool interaction, but if you trade with a Shredder and get a Summoner, your first minion still becomes cheaper.

Cool weapon card by the way, but I don't think people would like it. It's basically Force Roar in one card for two less mana. Granted, you'd need at least four minions to get at least 13 damage.

Without the charge part of force of nature, I think it is still much worse as a finisher. Having a board with 7 mana to spend is not exactly easy for paladin to do as well. It could help paladin's snowball a board into a win though, hence the name "avalanche". Could be nice against decks that ignore board and go all face and then suddenly, kinda like FON+SR, they pull out an additional 5+(2xboard count) damage so paladins do have ways to win races and force people to remove their board.

Ashodin

IIRC Argent Tournament gave us Quel'Delar. My favorite sword in the game.

Quel'Delar,%20Might%20of%20the%20Faithful2.jpg

Favorite LOOK? Cataclysm's Edge.

1026480.jpg

Let's turn these into real cards, shall we?

aa0e4400.png

Board execute. Still hits your own dudes though.

2dc91b9e.png

Quel'Delar can be 16 damage to the face, or you can use it twice to kill minions. Maybe I should have costed it 6 instead.

Ashodin

Immune to 4 hits is insane, let alone also having 4 attack. Gimmie a 0/4 weapon with that text and I'll give you a broken deck.

Nah it's 2 hits on minions, 4 to face.

Hit 1 minion, lose durability for taking 0 damage, lose 1 durability for the hit (down to 2).

Hit again, broked weapon.

Like I said, obv the goal is to use it for just face damage, so I might need to cost it 6.

It is still the type of card that potentially breaks the game in the right deck. Basically we're talking about a truesilver that, instead of healing 4 health, is gonna absorb 10 or more. Even at 6 mana it is too good.

The card has a budget of like 7-8 mana tbh, to begin with since it has potentially 16 damage. That is before including the insane text.

Ashodin

It is still the type of card that potentially breaks the game in the right deck. Basically we're talking about a truesilver that, instead of healing 4 health, is gonna absorb 10 or more. Even at 6 mana it is too good.

The card has a budget of like 7-8 mana tbh, to begin with since it has potentially 16 damage. That is before including the insane text.

Should probably move it to 3 ATK then

mxgt

Banned
In arena vs Paladin, I'm on 3 hp and him 26. I've got a comeback on the cards, freezing him with water elemental to stop his truesilver lethal and 3 other minions on board while he is out of cards.

He topdecks madder bomber, 3 bombs straight into my face.

MattyG

Banned
So I've finally figured this game out, and I'm winning all over the place in Play mode with a mage deck I've built. Question though: should I spend my gold on entering the arena, or on booster packs?

Also, are the expansions worth buying?

TP17

I'd recommend spending some time in arena. If you can go 2/3 wins you'll usually receive around 50 gold to go with the pack you always get so you will break-even alongside gaining some practise.

CoolOff

So I've finally figured this game out, and I'm winning all over the place in Play mode with a mage deck I've built. Question though: should I spend my gold on entering the arena, or on booster packs? Also, are the expansions worth buying?

If you average 3+ wins in Arena, you come out ahead on pure value. Aside from that you'll have to decide if the Arena runs in themselves provide you with entertainment to justify it.

3 wins usually gets you 50 gold and a pack, which is equal in value to the 150 gold you paid for the entry.

Special C

If you average 3+ wins in Arena, you come out ahead on pure value. Aside from that you'll have to decide if the Arena runs in themselves provide you with entertainment to justify it.

3 wins usually gets you 50 gold and a pack, which is equal in value to the 150 gold you paid for the entry.

You actually need 60 gold with 3 wins to break even, because 3 wins in constructed is worth 10 gold. It comes out to needing to average 4 wins.

Opiate

There are also decks which are not meaningfully counterable. Cancer paladin, for instance, has no strong counter as far as I can tell. You might be able to craft a deck that has 60% win rate against it, but not much beyond that because the deck is so dependent on blowing you up. There really isn't a clear counter to something that is so dependent on early draws, where games are often over by turns 6 or 7.

And then be vulnerable to every other deck besides the one you're trying to counter.

That is really a gross exaggeration. There are many examples of successful decks that counter others and yet don't lose to every other deck. And furthermore, I was talking about decks that just don't lose within the first couple turns, not that you need to counter.

I think if you're constantly losing games within the first 5 turns, it is your deck design that is the issue.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Since Rogue is a bit terrible in current meta, here is my suggestion to make it work a bit more reliably.

yay/nay?

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/27/1436118422-28370ab72.png

alternatively you can add those cards to your opponent's hand too (maybe for combo effect) :p

This card is fucking insane. Probably downright broken. Let's break this down.

1.) 3 cards for 3 mana is CRAZY. The "balanced" cost for drawing 3 cards is 5 mana (Nourish).
2.) To make that 3 mana discount seem fair, you would have to consider that you may not get the 0 mana spells you want or that would be useful. The only real stinkers here are Totemic Might and Sacrificial Pact. Even then, you could enable a combo using Totemic Might. And the random Sacrificial Pacts might just be enough to scare the absolute crap out of any warlocks right off the ladder.
3.) Also in the "0 mana spells aren't that bad" column is the fact that as I just pointed out with Totemic Might, that Rogues are in a better position to use 0 mana spells than most classes because of how they can enable combos. You can make huge Van Cleefs with this card. Easy Eviscerates. Easy Tinker Combos on Turn 4.
4.) You'll get Preparations from this card extremely often, which pays for the mana cost on the initial card by itself. Almost as good with something like Innervate, which would also be an extremely common grab from this.
5.) Hunter's Mark for Rogue....... enough said.
6.) Oh yeah, and of course the reason you made this card is that it is fucking bonkers with Gadgetzan. Gadgetzan + Prep + Adrenaline Rush would draw you five cards guaranteed.

neutral weapons could break the game.... and blingtron 3000 will be useless.
Not if they were terrible! Only reason I made it up is because last I knew, Quel'Delar came in different forms. Just thought it would be cool to see that redone here as well. I suppose it wouldn't have to be neutral to do that though.

Blizzard is eventually going to have to change Life Tap I think. As more and better cards get added it's the only hero power that keeps getting exponentially better.

Then again, it's not the only thing in the game that essentially backs Blizzard into a corner balance wise.

Blizzard is eventually going to have to change Life Tap I think. As more and better cards get added it's the only hero power that keeps getting exponentially better.

Then again, it's not the only thing in the game that essentially backs Blizzard into a corner balance wise.

Warlock will probably always be the strongest class in general because of Life Tap imo. I think it's probably harder to balance druid because of Wild Growth and Innervate and the FoN + Savage Roar combo though. I feel like Druid is always teetering on the edge of being mind blowingly strong but gets stuff like Mech-Bear-Cat instead of the thing that pushes it over the edge

Pooya

Sounds like RNG liked my idea of Adrenaline Rush, just opened Trade Prince Gallywix, dust or not to dust, I don't really need dust right now. I wish it was Malygos though...

This card is fucking insane. Probably downright broken. Let's break this down.

1.) 3 cards for 3 mana is CRAZY. The "balanced" cost for drawing 3 cards is 5 mana (Nourish).
2.) To make that 3 mana discount seem fair, you would have to consider that you may not get the 0 mana spells you want or that would be useful. The only real stinkers here are Totemic Might and Sacrificial Pact. Even then, you could enable a combo using Totemic Might. And the random Sacrificial Pacts might just be enough to scare the absolute crap out of any warlocks right off the ladder.
3.) Also in the "0 mana spells aren't that bad" column is the fact that as I just pointed out with Totemic Might, that Rogues are in a better position to use 0 mana spells than most classes because of how they can enable combos. You can make huge Van Cleefs with this card. Easy Eviscerates. Easy Tinker Combos on Turn 4.
4.) You'll get Preparations from this card extremely often, which pays for the mana cost on the initial card by itself. Almost as good with something like Innervate, which would also be an extremely common grab from this.
5.) Hunter's Mark for Rogue....... enough said.
6.) Oh yeah, and of course the reason you made this card is that it is fucking bonkers with Gadgetzan. Gadgetzan + Prep + Adrenaline Rush would draw you five cards guaranteed.

Can't make it more expensive, loses its point. Make it 2 spells then like arcane intellect.
You could limit it to Rogue spells only but that makes it way more OP, everything is immediately useful.
Yeah, I want this card so that you combo easy early on or easily draw cards with Gadgetzan late game. Adrenaline Rush sounds very appropriate for it :b I think it makes Rogue way more accessible too... right now it's just walking on edge every turn evne against control decks where they give you a lot more time to make your hand.

That was pretty cool, they sure put a lot of work into that. I feel like some of those could get pretty damn OP though. Archimond and Lady Deathwhisper pop out the most for me. Archimond has the potential to give a player 15 damage for six mana. Just seems a bit strong to me. I'd also loath the day where Freeze Mage not only clears my entire board, but steals it as well.

Favorite is Headless Horseman though. I always enjoyed him as a character and the fight, so I'm biased. However giving your opponent bad cards and expensive cards is a pretty cool idea.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, the freeze steal one seemed way too powerful even if the idea is cool.

That taunt deathrattle to end a turn is my favorite, that is seriously cool.

Wow, had two Spirit Wolfs on the board with this Mage at 7 health. Dropped a Loatheb to make sure they can't Flamestrike me. They cast a 7 mana Unstable Portal and get an Aldor Peacekeeper out of it to save themselves.

I still won but that's some crazy RNG right there.

Varian Wyrnn would be pretty decent.

Lady Deathwhisper would be beyond OP. Frost Nova+Deathwhisper is instant board clear with no drawbacks (no deathrattles) and you gain card advantage over your opponent.

never will happen

their reasoning will be because if they change it, it'll have an impact on pro players who play hs for a living yada yada yada.

basically see sc2 and see how they screwed themselves over in the long run because of their reluctance to make changes to the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom