• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many garbage epic cards, you really feel it when there's an actual good one you want. They're so expensive to craft.

I've been playing since closed beta and haven't really been able to play a Rogue deck seriously, ever, because literally every single strong deck runs prep.

Generally only oil/miracle rogue runs prep. If you want to run rogue without prep, aggro rogue almost never runs prep.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Prep for Rogue is as good a craft, at this point, as Grommash is for Warrior.

A long time ago I advised against crafting Prep because I considered it "narrow" but this is no longer true. As long as Rogue remains the "string cards together" class, Prep will always have a home somewhere so you might as well craft it now. Two Preps are much more efficient than, for example, a single Van Cleef. And the despair associated with opening a Prep after crafting a Prep is much lower than crafting Alexstrasza and then opening Alexstrasza.

Magnus

Always sad to see Priest at the bottom of most rankings. Easily my preferred class and my only golden hero (recently acquired!) and the most fun to play and win with when things go right.

But yeah...you've really gotta have great draw and some RNG favour to do well consistently. I'm a little tired of losing half the time (or worse)...I'm going to investigate Warlock more this week and inch that way.

Is Mal'ganis pretty much mandatory? I've got 8000 dust I could use, and already have Jaraxxus and all the rares/epics, as well as some of the staple epics I see in lock decks (the giants, etc.)

squidyj

If it's *just* the Argent Tournament, I'd expect another Naxxramas/Blackrock type expansion.

If the ice on the Korean page is a hint, I could see Northrend being a more general card based expansion.

That said, the reason they announced the announcement earlier than normal and are showing it off a week or two before Gamescom is due to Magic The Hearthstonening releasing at the end of this month, so they'd rather have people talking about their game instead.

if they go northrend..........

Is Mal'ganis pretty much mandatory? I've got 8000 dust I could use, and already have Jaraxxus and all the rares/epics, as well as some of the staple epics I see in lock decks (the giants, etc.)

Wouldn't label Mal'Ganis as a requirement really. Certainly nice to have him pop out of a Voidcaller but I don't think he'll necessarily make or break your deck.

Haly

Nope. Both Mal and Jaraxxus are just one variant of Handlock. You could go Giants instead.

Mal and Jaraxxxus are very fun, however.

Schryver

Just played some Holy Wrath on ladder. After an epic game where I used my heals and Alexstraza at the right times while also avoiding my opponents' last fireball for way too many turns I got this nice little surprise.
siFVCDB.jpg

Mal'ganis is good but he usually dies when he comes out. Most people above Rank 18 know that Voidcaller is going to spit out Doomguard or Mal'ganis, making it pretty easy to BGH Mal'Ganis on the enemies turn

Still, I keep him in for dropping on turn 9 with a board full of imps from imp-plosion for surprise lethal

Oh, for Handlock. Probably want to run Jaraxxus over Mal'Ganis.

Is there such a thing as a deck that is nothing but tech cards? I understand that it would be a horrible deck but it sounds kind of hilarious. A deck that counters everything but can't actually do anything.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Patron Warrior is the stupidest shit I've seen in a long time. It's just infuriating to play against on every level.

1) It's difficult to counter
2) In some cases can provide a one turn kill which is an objectively bad thing
3) It's extremely tedious to watch play out, and hearing the card's audio play over and over is super fucking annoying

The deck is rampant and has been top rated for many weeks straight, so I don't know how anyone could argue it doesn't warrant a nerf. It was one thing when people complained at first and over a month ago people were saying "just give it time, the meta will sort itself out, etc." but Patron is still dominant.

daemissary

Is there such a thing as a deck that is nothing but tech cards? I understand that it would be a horrible deck but it sounds kind of hilarious. A deck that counters everything but can't actually do anything.

StrifeCro had a grindy Mage deck that was kinda like this. Double BGH, healbot, MC tech, water elementals with duplicates to survive til late game with Antonidas and Chromaggus.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The problem with "countering" a specific deck is that you have no idea what class you're facing when you start. So unless you're interested in queuing with only one or two specific decks, it's a pretty worthless piece of advice.

ViviOggi

The deck as a whole is fine tbqh

The problem with "countering" a specific deck is that you have no idea what class you're facing when you start. So unless you're interested in queuing with only one or two specific decks, it's a pretty worthless piece of advice.

That was a side note and not specific laddering advice, I don't know how Echo Mage fares in other matchups. If you want to climb just play one of the gorillion cancerous aggro decks available as that's what Blizzard wants you to do.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
That was a side note and not specific advice against Patron, I don't know how Echo Mage fares in other matchups. If you want to do well on ladder just play one of the gorillion cancerous aggro decks available as that's what Blizzard wants you to do.

I'm not interested in climbing ranks, I'm interested in playing varied classes and decks, completing quests, and having fun while doing it, not constantly running into one strategy that is excessively dominant.

ViviOggi

I'm not interested in climbing ranks, I'm interested in playing varied classes and decks, completing quests, and having fun while doing it, not running into one strategy that is excessively dominant.

Where are you playing that Patron is excessively dominant and aggro doesn't make up >70% of decks? Legit interested because it's certainly not EU between ranks 17 and legend

CoolOff

What are the odds for Druids having Wild Growth in their starting hand? I can only find numbers for it combined with Innervate, which is 71%.

I play a mill juggernaut deck that's basically built to just counter everything and drag the game out. 3 brewmasters, healbots, bgh, double brawl, Harrison, iron jug, cold light. Tons of fun to play. You just have to adjust your brewmaster plays based off what your opponent is playing.

Haly

What are the odds for Druids having Wild Growth in their starting hand? I can only find numbers for it combined with Innervate, which is 71%.

Well the problem is the same for any single non-Legendary card so when generalized: https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthston..._is_the_chance_to_get_card_x_in_your_opening/

Starting first:
2/30 first roll, first hand
2/29 second roll, first hand
2/28 third roll, first hand
2/27 first roll, second hand
2/26 second roll, second hand
2/25 third roll, second hand
This makes the chance of getting a certain card in your opening hand 1 - (1-2/30)(1-2/29)(1-2/28)(1-2/27)(1-2/26)(1-2/25), which is equal to 53/145 or about 36,6 %.

Starting second:
2/30 first roll, first hand
2/29 second roll, first hand
2/28 third roll, first hand
2/27 fourth roll, first hand
2/26 first roll, second hand
2/25 second roll, second hand
2/24 third roll, second hand
2/23 fourth roll, second hand
The chance this time is 1 - (the product of one minus all of those numbers), which is 68/145, or roughly 46,9 %.
All of this is assuming you have two of the card in your deck and it is also not accounting for the extra card that you draw, but just the mulligan.

Xanathus

I play a mill juggernaut deck that's basically built to just counter everything and drag the game out. 3 brewmasters, healbots, bgh, double brawl, Harrison, iron jug, cold light. Tons of fun to play. You just have to adjust your brewmaster plays based off what your opponent is playing.
oh shit I need to set that deck up to get the remaining 50 warrior wins, I forgot that I had an iron juggernaut

JesseZao

I have an idea for a Boom Nerf that probably has been thought of before,

Change the bombs' Deathrattle to deal 1-2 damage to a random enemy.
Add text to Boom that says Boom Bot Deathrattle does 1-4 damage instead.

Might be a bit too cumbersome for their design simplicity, but I think that'd be the best way to handle it.

Making the booms have less of a potentially powerful swing after you clear Boom is a needed change.

ViviOggi

Might be a bit too cumbersome for their design simplicity, but I think that'd be the best way to handle it.

Making the booms have less of a potentially powerful swing after you clear Boom is a needed change.
Hmm I don't hate it at all but Blizz indeed would

Dahbomb

Just lower their max damage by 1 so it's 1-3 or just make it a flat 2 damage to reduce the RNG factor.

I lost a board of BGH (which killed the Dr), Shield Maiden which was at 5/3) and Blackwing Corruptor to Dr Balanced today...

You don't want to INCREASE the RNG factor of a card as a way of nerfing it, that just results in cards like Tinkmaster (too much RNG to be playable).

JesseZao

Just lower their max damage by 1 so it's 1-3 or just make it a flat 2 damage to reduce the RNG factor.

I lost a board of BGH (which killed the Dr), Shield Maiden which was at 5/3) and Blackwing Corruptor to Dr Balanced today...

You don't want to INCREASE the RNG factor of a card as a way of nerfing it, that just results in cards like Tinkmaster (too much RNG to be playable).

I'm reducing RNG; since if Boom is dead, the bombs can only deal 1 or 2 damage. Maybe it'd have to say friendly Boom Bots, so the enemy Dr. doesn't buff yours, but other than that, it's a pretty straightforward change.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Main body becomes 7/5. Boom bots do flat 2 damage as deathrattle.

That's still my favorite approach. Haven't heard anything better than that.

Dahbomb

Main body becomes 7/5. Boom bots do flat 2 damage as deathrattle.

That's still my favorite approach. Haven't heard anything better than that.
Yea that's the best change IMO. I will even settle for just 2 damage from Bots and keeping the body the same.

_DrMario_

HS is literally the gaming equivalent of the cigarette.

An addictive piece of fucking garbage filled with cancer.

I fucking hate this game so much.

Tubie

HS is literally the gaming equivalent of the cigarette.

An addictive piece of fucking garbage filled with cancer.

I fucking hate this game so much.

I wonder how long it will take for me to get this jaded.

I guess I'm still in the Hearthstone honeymoon period.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Everyday I play this game I ask myself "why is mad scientist not nerfed yet?"

But still I keep playing...

Srsly

Mad Scientist nerf is like 10x more overdue than the Dr. Boom nerf. It was like the progression of Hunter and Mage decks ever since its release was all about realizing just how OP it is. Nobody even has to put in more than 2 secrets.

Been playing for over a year and I have no bitterness. But I absolutely cannot crack out on this game, I just play enough each day to do dailies and Arena runs. If I grinded ranked I'd probably go insane too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom