• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakku

I think it's one of Blizzards design principles to not mess with the opponents deck tho.

I think it's a good one. People give Blizzard a lot of crap, some rightfully so like with deck slots, but I think their overall simplistic philosophy is the right one. People get frustrated enough with Priests thought stealing, imagine if it got even worse with being able to steal cards, or discard what they have.

Copenap

Mana wraith pretty much does the same thing. Nobody plays it.

There are plenty of anti-aggro cards and you can easily construct a deck that will beat them every time. What you can't do is construct said deck and still win against non-aggro decks.

The solution is not to kill aggro, it is to kill people's incentive to play aggro. That means re-thinking the quests and rewards, which are still stuck at day 1 after all these changes. That is what we need, not "new card" that nobody will play anyway.
It would need to be a permanent effect like Emperor. I do not think the quests are the problem though, those rush decks give you just the most bang for your time regardless of the quests.

ViviOggi

I'd be all over mechanics that don't involve board state for once, like graveyard shenanigans for example.

But what we'll get is more annoying minion stuff, many new epic & exciting rng deathrattles now with added divine shields to fit the Argent Tournament theme. I mean what's more heroic than a piss bubble that makes you invincible?

Jakku

now with added divine shields to fit the Argent Tournament theme. I mean what's more heroic than a piss bubble that makes you invincible?

To Northrend!

I'm getting terrible flashbacks of when everyone played Argent Commander. Hated that guy. Maybe it'll be Blood Knight's time to shine!

I do not think the quests are the problem though, those rush decks give you just the most bang for your time regardless of the quests.

What does bang for your time mean though? It can only mean earning quick wins to get gold = packs. That equation would be pretty easy to change, as simply as adding a casual/tournament/pick your opponent mode where you can't earn gold.

So yesterday I made an aggro mage mech deck and I think it's working pretty well. I got Antonidas in a pack, so I naturally included him, but so far I haven't been able to use it once.

I either draw him too early and it's dead weight (once costing me the game as my opponent copied a random card from my hand and I was only holding that). When I draw him late game I can't play him anyway since I'm either already lost and he won't survive a turn or I have no other spells in my hand.

Even if I had a spare part it would still be 8 mana to get 1 fireball. By that point it's either win more or not enough to turn the game around.

Nearly every time I've gotten him I would have rather have Polymorph (which I'm not running) to get rid of a major threat on the board.

I'm really thinking about replacing it for a Polymorph. Maybe I'm playing the deck wrong and should be saving a few spells, but it just doesn't seem to fit on my curve. I saw some top aggro mech decks running it, but I'm not convinced.

Dr. Boom would obviously be better, but I can't afford it at the moment. What do you guys think?

ViviOggi

So yesterday I made an aggro mage mech deck and I think it's working pretty well. I got Antonidas in a pack, so I naturally included him, but so far I haven't been able to use it once.

I either draw him too early and it's dead weight (once costing me the game as my opponent copied a random card from my hand and I was only holding that). When I draw him late game I can't play him anyway since I'm either already lost and he won't survive a turn or I have no other spells in my hand.

Even if I had a spare part it would still be 8 mana to get 1 fireball. By that point it's either win more or not enough to turn the game around.

Nearly every time I've gotten him I would have rather have Polymorph (which I'm not running) to get rid of a major threat on the board.

I'm really thinking about replacing it for a Polymorph. Maybe I'm playing the deck wrong and should be saving a few spells, but it just doesn't seem to fit on my curve. I saw some top aggro mech decks running it, but I'm not convinced.

Dr. Boom would obviously be better, but I can't afford it at the moment. What do you guys think?
Your game plan is to apply heavy pressure by dominating the board starting on turn 1, which means you get to dictate trades against faster decks, force control to use removal inefficiently (which means they often can't answer Antonidas when he comes down), and deal significant face damage so you can finish your opponent with burn in the lategame where the board clears come in. You start polymorphing shit in the midgame you're sacrificing too much tempo. If they drop something scary you either Fireball it, value trade with trash minions or ignore it and push for face if it lets you set up 1-/2-turn lethal. Antonidas acts as a secondary win condition for when your early to midgame board and topdicked burn spells aren't enough to wrap up the game. You're no Freeze Mage so you only save spells for him when you can afford to, except for the stealth spare part which basically wins you the game on turn 8.

Of course dropped on an empty board with an attack spare part and your opponent on 20+ life he won't do anything, but if you find yourself in that spot regularly you're definitely playing the deck wrong. I'm assuming lower rank play here, Mech Mage has somewhat fallen out of favor so if you're stuck at 4 or higher the deck might just not be good enough anymore.

Xanathus

Didn't they just put Iron Juggernaut into the game?

Iron Juggernaut doesn't mess with opponent's decks, it just adds a random single chance to take 10 damage at the start of your turn. It doesn't replace the card that the opponent would normally draw, that would actually make it really good.

Jakku

Iron Juggernaut doesn't mess with opponent's decks, it just adds a random single chance to take 10 damage at the start of your turn. It doesn't replace the card that the opponent would normally draw, that would actually make it really good.

People were thinking it was absurd after it was leaked and assumed it wasn't real because taking 10 damage and being denied a card draw would have been huge, but you draw after anyway.

Any suggestions for improving this?
XxTGtb4.png

My first thought is that I'm probably running too many tech cards.

Pooya

two healbots and farseer is too much. You have siphon soul too, why you need that much healing? your deck is too slow. I would replace the fasrseer with blackwing technician. Bane of Doom isn't all that good here either, replace with a shadowflame, you could use another board clear.

All this talk about Iron Juggernaut makes me miss my Gazlowe Priest. Had one perfect game where I was bummed because all my Spare Parts were Time Rewinders. Low and behold the first mech I get from Gazlowe was Iron Juggernaut. I think I was able to get four bombs in the guys deck and it won me the game. Only work because he was playing Control Warrior and was playing slowler than I was. Ahhh, memories.

Fireblend

Banned
Can someone explain to me what the correct use of zombie chow is? I get that using it early on is useful since the enemy probably hasn't even been damaged yet and even if he/she has board control is more important in the early game, but sometimes I get it late into the game and I don't know if I should just not use it at all unless I feel like I'm far ahead.

Dahbomb

I wish it did.

ViviOggi

Can someone explain to me what the correct use of zombie chow is? I get that using it early on is useful since the enemy probably hasn't even been damaged yet and even if he/she has board control is more important in the early game, but sometimes I get it late into the game and I don't know if I should just not use it at all unless I feel like I'm far ahead.
Drop it late if you need more power on the board for trading purposes (more often the case in arena than constructed) and the chance is high that your opponent can't remove it. Definitely don't play it when it would fuck up potential lethal if it dies, for example your opponent is at 8, you have a Fireball in hand and your only realistic chande of winning is to ping them down over two turns. If you're insanely behind and have no potential lethal topdicks remaining in your deck you'll probably want to drop it as a last-ditch effort to stabilize. There's also cases like with Druid where it's the deciding factor between killing your opponent with combo next turn or not and you have no other minions in hand, so ideally you'd drop it behind a taunt which makes it hard to remove for most classes.

Your game plan is to apply heavy pressure by dominating the board starting on turn 1, which means you get to dictate trades against faster decks, force control to use removal inefficiently (which means they often can't answer Antonidas when he comes down), and deal significant face damage so you can finish your opponent with burn in the lategame where the board clears come in. You start polymorphing shit in the midgame you're sacrificing too much tempo. If they drop something scary you either Fireball it, value trade with trash minions or ignore it and push for face if it lets you set up 1-/2-turn lethal. Antonidas acts as a secondary win condition for when your early to midgame board and topdicked burn spells aren't enough to wrap up the game. You're no Freeze Mage so you only save spells for him when you can afford to, except for the stealth spare part which basically wins you the game on turn 8.

Of course dropped on an empty board with an attack spare part and your opponent on 20+ life he won't do anything, but if you find yourself in that spot regularly you're definitely playing the deck wrong. I'm assuming lower rank play here, Mech Mage has somewhat fallen out of favor so if you're stuck at 4 or higher the deck might just not be good enough anymore.

You make some very good points. Definitely low rank play, I've been playing less than a week. Rank 17, but I'm still constantly climbing up.

I play very aggressively, which is why the game is usually decided either way by turn 5 or 6 at the latest. So when I win Antonidas doesn't even get to play and when I'm losing it's not enough to make a difference. It doesn't really help me when it's a race. I agree that a Polymorph mid game might not be a good play in this deck (though saving a Fireball to throw at the hero later might have merit), but I was thinking more along the lines of getting rid of something like that 3/5 Taunt guy that spawns another 1/2 slime after it dies (sorry I still don't know all the card names), so I can hit face for lethal.

I also have a mid range mage deck where Antonidas works much better.

Since Mage Mech has fallen out of favor, what's a currently good Mage deck? I'd like to work Antonidas in there and the 1/1 legendary that gives spells +1 damage and draws a card when he dies, since I also got it in a pack (I don't run him in the mech deck though). I'll post the deck list later tonight when I get home.

Virtually all mage decks include frost bolt, fireball, and polymorph or some combo.

Do you have any spells at all?

I missed this. Yes I run 2 Fireballs and 2 Frostbolts, but none of the other mech decks I saw ran polymorph. The other spells I run are 2 Arcane Intellect and 2 of the Secret that copies an enemy minion when it's cast. And I run 2 of the 2/2 that plays secrets for free when he dies. I've been thinking about running more secrets, since the second guy has died without getting me a secret, since I've already drawn it, which seems like a waste.

ViviOggi

Fucking Huntards running Harrison now are you for real

Since Mage Mech has fallen out of favor, what's a currently good Mage deck? I'd like to work Antonidas in there and the 1/1 legendary that gives spells +1 damage and draws a card when he dies, since I also got it in a pack (I don't run him in the mech deck though). I'll post the deck list later tonight when I get home.

Any recent Tempo Mage list you'll find on Hearthpwn etc. runs Antonidas, you can throw in Thalnos if you really want but he won't do too much outside of Freeze Mage (for which you're probably missing other cards).

Fireblend

Banned
Drop it late if you need more power on the board for trading purposes (more often the case in arena than constructed) and the chance is high that your opponent can't remove it. Definitely don't play it when it would fuck up potential lethal if it dies, for example your opponent is at 8, you have a Fireball in hand and your only realistic chande of winning is to ping them down over two turns. If you're insanely behind and have no potential lethal topdicks remaining in your deck you'll probably want to drop it as a last-ditch effort to stabilize. There's also cases like with Druid where it's the deciding factor between killing your opponent with combo next turn or not and you have no other minions in hand, so ideally you'd drop it behind a taunt which makes it hard to remove for most classes.

Yeah I guess this makes sense. I'm always looking out for being able to inflict lethal damage, so playing a card like this even when I have a taunt to protect it in the late game goes against what I'm thinking most of the time.

Also, I'm leaning towards and feel more comfortable with Rogue so far, but it doesn't seem like it will do me any good if I ever reach the higher ranks since it doesn't seem very popular. Is there any good rogue deck archetype I can aim for?

ViviOggi

This meta is in dire need of being addressed directly with the expansion, holy shit ladder has never been so stupidly unfun

Yeah I guess this makes sense. I'm always looking out for being able to inflict lethal damage, so playing a card like this even when I have a taunt to protect it in the late game goes against what I'm thinking most of the time.

Also, I'm leaning towards and feel more comfortable with Rogue so far, but it doesn't seem like it will do me any good if I ever reach the higher ranks since it doesn't seem very popular. Is there any good rogue deck archetype I can aim for?

Oil Rogue has been the only viable Rogue deck since Blizz killed Miracle. It's currently in a decent spot but as with any other control-/combo-ish deck you're always depending on specific draws to deal with the endless hordes of aggro clowns and even if you do they'll roll 4 on Implosion then get Malganis from Voidcaller and Zapomatics from their Shredders and you'll cry for a few minutes and then check Hearthpwn for the latest aggro lists

Pooya

Remember when everyone here was calling nerf on Goblin Blastmage? now nobody cares. Mech Mage is like the weakest aggro there. I'm not sure why it ever worked so well for those months. It's so easy to interrupt the play and it's nowhere as fast as others.

----------

Implosion right now is the most BS card, we need cards that in general deal with care free filling of board with cheap garbage like Muster for Battle, Mirror Image, creepers and the like.

ViviOggi

Remember when everyone here was calling nerf on Goblin Blastmage? now nobody cares. Mech Mage is like the weakest aggro there. I'm not sure why it ever worked so well for those months. It's so easy to interrupt the play and it's nowhere as fast as others.
I mean Blastmage was always fine, what took down the deck was people learning to prioritize killing the mechs.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
No way was Blastmage or Mech Warper were gonna get the stick before Dr Balanced and Mad Scientist. It would've been stupidity.

This thread went full stupid with it though. There were definitely people trying to argue that mechwarper was the most broken card in the game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When the next expansion comes out with some new FOTM bullshit, people will forget about Patron Warrior even if it remains a T1 deck.

The World of Warcraft cycle.

Dahbomb

This thread went full stupid with it though. There were definitely people trying to argue that mechwarper was the most broken card in the game.
Yeah I remember that. I still think Mech Warper is a bit over powered but the other cards take priority (Mad Scientist, Dr Balanced etc).

Just because Mech Mages are out of favor doesn't mean that down the line this card won't get a lot of use in other types of decks.

ZealousD

Just because Mech Mages are out of favor doesn't mean that down the line this card won't get a lot of use in other types of decks.

I don't think that they are going to print that many more mechs.

Schryver

It is insane when they get that perfect combination and have 5 mechs on turn 2 or whatever. But overall its fine since tempo mage with a good opener feels more broken to me

You really need something that you can play earlier.

Zombie Chow, Annoyotron and Deathlords are decent anti aggro cards but even they can't do much about deathrattle bull shit from stuff like Mad Scientists, Eggs etc.

f0f694f3.png

Some interesting cards like these.

Edit: This card will only silence if it's against a Deathrattle. I forgot to put it in. Otherwise this card would be way too good as it would completely replace Owl.

Another thing I would like is a taunt minion that can't be Silenced.

You're joking right? Good bye tirion. Good bye sylvanas. Good bye every decent deathrattle card ever.

ViviOggi

It is insane when they get that perfect combination and have 5 mechs on turn 2 or whatever. But overall its fine since tempo mage with a good opener feels more broken to me
The thing is those openings are The Dream tier in terms of chance, so while frustrating when it happens against you it's overall just a drop in the bucket. Any viable deck is capable of draws like that, that's just the nature of card games.

The real problem is the more recent, massive influx of rng-based cards that are very good on average, have stupidly strong high rolls and only a negligible chance of backfiring.

Looks like Amazon is going to be giving 25% bonus coins when you buy 5000 or 10000 as part of the Prime Day tomorrow.

Guess I'll probably grab 5000 for the upcoming expansion. Hopefully it won't end up biting me in the ass.

CoolOff

lol I was 1-2 in Arena, facing Warlock, going first.

His turn 1: Flame Imp
His turn 2: Coin Imp Gang Boss
His turn 3: Imp Gang Boss
His turn 4: Argus

Rip.

ZealousD

You're joking right? Good bye tirion. Good bye sylvanas. Good bye every decent deathrattle card ever.

Hell it is even broken against Nerubian Egg and Haunted Creeper. This thing would be in every single deck, because everybody plays at least one deathrattle card.

Dahbomb

Guys I made up that card in literally 2 minutes and just posted it as a what if card. And it's not even that broken... at least not compared to that Houndmaster Hunter fake card.

That said it would be cool to have a card that can steal Deathrattle effects. Maybe as a Legendary, maybe only against 4 or lower mana cost minions.

On Grim Patron: It's fine and there's no way Blizzard should nerf that card before nerfing Dr Balanced/Mad Scientist. Kripp's explanation is on point in that Grim Patron only really affects Warrior (much like Antonidas) and thus should not be banned on top of requiring high skill. In addition, you don't see Grim Patron all the time. That's completely different from those other cards where if you are going up against a Mage/Hunter... 100% of the time they will have Mad Scientist in their deck no matter the type of deck they play.

Duster

I think there should be a card based on the Cuckoo.

A 1/1 bird that replaces all eggs with one of their own, when it's effect is triggered out pops an angry chicken.

Dahbomb

Kripp does have a point in that if they do nerf Grim Patron (and Dr Balanced) it could be due to the fact that they want you to play the new cards/decks instead of just losing to the same old shit all the time.

Like they either have to create a ban tier card at mana 7 for you to replace Dr Balanced in your decks or they have to nerf it and then release a comparable card at that slot.

That said I don't think stuff like Handlock is going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom