• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

Everyone was crying for the axe for Loatheb too. The HS player base definitely is one to over react.

Nah Loatheb was way op in the meta back then and blastmage is still op as fuck but tempo mage has replaced mech mage so people don't remember that card anymore.

Dahbomb

If anything the game needs a card like Loatheb to put the breaks on some of these crazy combo decks out there.

Also hope that Blizzard introduces some Legendaries that can be played earlier than turn 5.

ViviOggi

Patron is one of the few decks that can deal with and the only one that actually punishes all this braindead spamming of cancerous deathrattles and tokens out of nowhere, fuck this nerf talk

Dahbomb

Patron is one of the few decks that can deal with and the only one that actually punishes all this braindead spamming of cancerous deathrattles and tokens out of nowhere, fuck this nerf talk
Probably a bunch of Face Hunters and Zoolock kids crying about nerfs on Reddit.

"ME DUMP HAND ON BOARD BUT ME GET HIT BY 20 HIT COMBO!!! WARRIOR CHEAT!"

cHinzo

47e0f96892.jpg

Drafted this Mage deck in arena. Finally gonna be some fun. :D

I disagree with most people. I think, the part about patron warrior that pushes it to such heights of strength are the card draw mechanics. We saw the same with miracle rogue, still being strong after leeroy and only finally being laid to rest after auctioneer nerf.

Short aside- Oil rogue, just in case someone who isn't all that familiar with the deck, is very different from miracle especially since it does have to fight for board and is way way less reliant on huge finishers (although definitely capable of it due to prep + oil synergy).

What makes a combo deck really work? Getting all the combo pieces! What enables that? Card draw! What is the draw engine for patron warrior? Battle Rage!

This sleeper card is responsible (imo) for patron warrior being what the deck has become in the right hands:
184px-Battle_Rage(664).png

When Patron warrior hits it out of the park, often times I've seen, it is because the card draw can be crazy in combination with patron warrior, acolyte, etc.. Double acolyte into whirlwind can easily draw 2 cards off acolyte from damage, and then 2 additional cards off battle rage (+1 if hero is damaged), so you end up drawing 5 or more cards (more if more board was in place already). At that point your opponent has like 1-2 turns to kill the warrior, because the combo is likely to take them out the next turn.

Kripp is right in pointing out that warsong commander + frothing existed before. Patron warrior definitely transformed it from a kinda once in a while grand slam into a consistent power house slugger. I think there are multiple ways to approach nerfing it, without killing it off. It isn't like UT nerf stopped midrange/face hunters, nor did UTH nerf, nor did buzzard nerf. These decks thrive in different yet still viable forms.

Ultrabum

I disagree with most people. I think, the part about patron warrior that pushes it to such heights of strength are the card draw mechanics. We saw the same with miracle rogue, still being strong after leeroy and only finally being laid to rest after auctioneer nerf.

Short aside- Oil rogue, just in case someone who isn't all that familiar with the deck, is very different from miracle especially since it does have to fight for board and is way way less reliant on huge finishers (although definitely capable of it due to prep + oil synergy).

What makes a combo deck really work? Getting all the combo pieces! What enables that? Card draw! What is the draw engine for patron warrior? Battle Rage!

This sleeper card is responsible (imo) for patron warrior being what the deck has become in the right hands:
184px-Battle_Rage(664).png

When Patron warrior hits it out of the park, often times I've seen, it is because the card draw can be crazy in combination with patron warrior, acolyte, etc.. Double acolyte into whirlwind can easily draw 2 cards off acolyte from damage, and then 2 additional cards off battle rage (+1 if hero is damaged), so you end up drawing 5 or more cards (more if more board was in place already). At that point your opponent has like 1-2 turns to kill the warrior, because the combo is likely to take them out the next turn.

Kripp is right in pointing out that warsong commander + frothing existed before. Patron warrior definitely transformed it from a kinda once in a while grand slam into a consistent power house slugger. I think there are multiple ways to approach nerfing it, without killing it off. It isn't like UT nerf stopped midrange/face hunters, nor did UTH nerf, nor did buzzard nerf. These decks thrive in different yet still viable forms.

They ought to nerf patron and add the card: weapon scientist. - 2 mana 2 2, death rattle put a random weapon from your deck into play.

Kappa

Sande

Just give Grim Patron 4 attack (maybe even 5). Done. It would also make the card more viable in other decks.

OR

Warsong Commander
"Your minions with 3 or less attack have charge".

I definitely want to see the combo, in its current form, gone.

Also hope that Blizzard introduces some Legendaries that can be played earlier than turn 5.
I wonder if they avoid that since really cheap Legendaries can be too problematic if they're too strong. Basically when someone plays a really strong Legendary, it takes up their whole turn. It gives the other player a chance to deal with it. Mukla is a good example because while under budgeted, he kind of gives the other player a way to kill him. Other low cost Legendaries are somewhat in similar design, Millhouse is a train wreck, Cho also benefits your opponent, and Overspark is a gamble.

However, I do like the Thalnos design, sacrificing stats for versatility. If you want spell power, you have Kobold, if you want draw, you have Loot Hoarder, and if you want both you have Thalnos.

There's also Pagle, sacrifice stats for an ability, but that seems way harder to balance.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope not. Good cheap legendaries just narrow card choices. The only reason Thalnos isn't ubiquitous anymore is because spell power is losing mind share to other deck types.

Generalists like Tinkmaster and Pagle were nerfed to oblivion for a very good reason.

Like, can you imagine if they made a viable aggro legendary? Good god. Or a control legendary like doomsayer.

Cipherr

Nah Loatheb was way op in the meta back then and blastmage is still op as fuck but tempo mage has replaced mech mage so people don't remember that card anymore.

This.

Just because the game changes around over the expansions to a point where a card is no longer a big deal, doesn't mean the card wasn't overpowered in its own right at a time. Loatheb was kinda wild for a time, but the game changed a lot since then. Especially with people running mech decks with 1 mana spare parts all over, and the combo nerfs to miracle that all happened at once. All of a sudden the games landscape is hostile to Loatheb, but for a time he was an auto include and extremely powerful.

JesseZao

This.

Just because the game changes around over the expansions to a point where a card is no longer a big deal, doesn't mean the card wasn't overpowered in its own right at a time. Loatheb was kinda wild for a time, but the game changed a lot since then. Especially with people running mech decks with 1 mana spare parts all over, and the combo nerfs to miracle that all happened at once. All of a sudden the games landscape is hostile to Loatheb, but for a time he was an auto include and extremely powerful.

Yeah. The initial reaction to Loatheb was "YES! MIRACLE COUNTER!" and then Auctioneer got nerfed anyway.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I remember when Miracle teched in Loatheb for other Miracle players.

My reaction:
laugh.gif

ViviOggi

Yeah. The initial reaction to Loatheb was "YES! MIRACLE COUNTER!" and then Auctioneer got nerfed anyway.
Initial reaction to Kezan: "Finally anti-secret tech!"
Reality: Mages use it to protect their secrets

Initial reactions to Lil' Exorcist from players fed up with deathrattles: "..."
Reality: "Why do I always get these awful rares"

Sande

Lil' Exorcist is horrible when there aren't any deathrattle minions, making it too unreliable. I wonder if it would get played more if it was 3/3, gain 1 health. It would be better at 0 deathrattles, the same at 1 and weaker from 2 onward. Not as useless in the worst case and not as insane in the best case would be a pretty good fit imo.

Of course that would make Ironfur Grizzly even more useless, but that card is hopeless anyway.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think that Battle Rage shouldn't draw when the hero itself is damaged.

That would probably kill the card outright. You wouldn't be able to just cycle the card if you really needed to. And you'd need two damaged minions to get value off of it, which is simply too high in any situation where Grim Patron specifically is not on the board.

Battle Rage is fine. You don't need to kill it with a blunt force trauma. It's one of the last cards in Patron Warrior that deserved to be nerfed. Prior to Patron nobody played it except as an average-pick in arena.

JSR_Cube

Drafted Ragnaros and Hogger but was playing Warlock and only managed four wins. Boo!

Got Trade Prince Gallywix out of the pack though. Yay!

I know he isn't great but another legendary I didn't have.

johnsmith

remember me
She is so annoying to listen to. Can't believe they had her casting at all during that Tempo Storm thing last week.

I can see how you can find her voice annoying, but the actual stuff she says makes her the most consistently hilarious personality in the scene right now.

_DrMario_

Pretty sure she's trolling most of the time. Everytime she reads a dirty message and asks her co-streamer to explain what it means, it's getting pretty obvious she already knows what it means.

gutshot

Nerfing Patron's card draw would completely kill the deck in the same way nerfing Auctioneer completely killed Miracle Rogue. What needs to be nerfed is its OTK potential. That is what makes it infuriating to play against and is what Blizz least likes to see.

The Patrons themselves are fine in this regard as their total damage output is somewhat limited. The Frothing Berserkers are the problem IMO. It's not unheard of to have two huge Berserkers with charge dealing over 30 damage in one turn. They need to have their health nerfed by 1, maybe even 2 points.

I think that would still make the deck playable, just one that isn't able to kill you from 30 health with a completely empty board.

Nerfing Patron's card draw would completely kill the deck in the same way nerfing Auctioneer completely killed Miracle Rogue. What needs to be nerfed is its OTK potential. That is what makes it infuriating to play against and is what Blizz least likes to see.

The Patrons themselves are fine in this regard as their total damage output is somewhat limited. The Frothing Berserkers are the problem IMO. It's not unheard of to have two huge Berserkers with charge dealing over 30 damage in one turn. They need to have their health nerfed by 1, maybe even 2 points.

I think that would still make the deck playable, just one that isn't able to kill you from 30 health with a completely empty board.

Well first off, nerfing auctioneer didn't kill miracle. Miracle is no longer played due to that plus a better altnerative way to play rogue. I actually still think miracle is viable and it has still proven itself in a post-auctioneer nerf world. Plus obviously the leeroy nerf was another reason. My main point is, it was not just auctioneer, it was a combination of things that made miracle fall off the map.

Plus I am not reccommending they nerf battlerage (which is really only part of their card draw) to the point it is not playable. I think kibler recommended it best, battle rage only works off of minions and not the hero itself. That is a modest nerf imo and not deck shattering, far from it imo. People always claim x deck dies if y happens, but that is rarely the case. The deck adapts, if even necessary, and plays on just fine.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
For Prime Day tomorrow, Amazon is going to be giving a 25% bonus on Amazon coins when you buy 5K or 10K coins. With the expansion coming later this month it is a great day. Hopefully they will keep their current promotion running... so basically all of that would be:
- $100 worth of coins for $90 (10% off).
- Given $25 worth of bonus coins.
- 10% of the coins you spend in hearthstone are given back to you.

So you are getting at least $137.50 worth of coins for $90. Technically it will be more than that because of the 10% you get back - you will get 10% of those back once you spend them as well and so on until you are out.

Source.

I'd like frothing berserker to not get buffed from an enemy minions since:
1) deck won't punish opponent for playing minions (with 3+ att)
2) charging berserkers won't be so damaging.
3) this nerf (probably) won't completely ruin the deck.

zoukka

People always claim x deck dies if y happens, but that is rarely the case. The deck adapts, if even necessary, and plays on just fine.

Or just you know... dies like so many decks before them after big nerfs. Battle Rage isn't used often as a cumshot where you unload whirlwind effects and then draw (because you need those effects for the combo) so it's often the opponents fault for pinging the warrior for one early on or leaving damaged (crappy) minions like acolyte and gnomish on the table. Just inexperience with the deck.

Rapstah

I drew a golden Malygos two weeks after crafting regular Malygos. :( I know the sensible thing would be disenchanting the golden one to craft one of those normal legendaries I need.

ViviOggi

I drew a golden Malygos two weeks after crafting regular Malygos. :( I know the sensible thing would be disenchanting the golden one to craft one of those normal legendaries I need.
Actually I wouldn't say it's sensible per se to de usable golden legendaries. The chance to pull one is so astronomically low that it's near impossible to pull the same one twice, and I guarantee you'll regret it somewhere down the line. Of course it depends on how much you're still missing, I'm at the stage where I'd even keep a golden Gruul but if you don't have Boom, Sylvanas and the like yet then I'd prioritize those after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom