• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

If Argent Tournament is a card expansion like GvG and not a single player adventure, do you guys suppose they will dedicate a large part of it on introducing a new tribe or tribe-like mechanic like Mechs for GvG? Will it have disproportionately many legendaries again, like GvG?

Will there be a single Mech card in the Argent Tournament expansion?

Szadek

If Argent Tournament is a card expansion like GvG and not a single player adventure, do you guys suppose they will dedicate a large part of it on introducing a new tribe or tribe-like mechanic like Mechs for GvG? Will it have disproportionately many legendaries again, like GvG?

Will there be a single Mech card in the Argent Tournament expansion?
I don't think we will get a new tribe,but it might happen anyway.
Focusing of the tribe we already have would be really good idea.
Pirats and murlocs already have a few good cards,just not enough ,but a handful of new good cards could easily fix that.
Beast druid will need quite a few cards to be viable,but it looks Blizzard wants to push that deck,so it's a possibility.
Dragons will need more early game and anti aggro cards.

Pretty sure they will introduce new mechs,hopefully some good exclusives for other classes than mage.
Personaily I'm hoping for Priest,Rogue and Shaman mechs.

Dahbomb

Dragons (and the other tribes) need powerful class cards. Part of the reason why Mech Mage and Shaman work is because they have powerful Mech class cards. Class minion cards are deliberately overtuned compared to neutral minion cards (ie Goblin Blastmage vs Blackwing Corruptor).

gutshot

3 packs and card back acquired. They weren't that bad either. Got a couple epics that I didn't have yet plus a golden Alarm-O-Bot (read: 100 dust). Used Genymotion and changed the build to the Galaxy S6 model number, as described on Reddit.

Why would the reddit mods allow this?

The stuff about the emulation? It's not illegal. It might be against some ToS somewhere, but I highly, highly doubt Blizz will be banning any one for this.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
GAF I'm stuck at rank 10. Breaking the single digits in the NA server just doesn't seem to be in my card with my current strat.

A lot of it with my mage comes down to rng and other random elements. If I can get spell cancel secret out and block a big spell of theirs I usually win. If not I feel like I'm playing behind all game unless I get a great opening hand draw.

Szadek

GAF I'm stuck at rank 10. Breaking the single digits in the NA server just doesn't seem to be in my card with my current strat.

A lot of it with my mage comes down to rng and other random elements. If I can get spell cancel secret out and block a big spell of theirs I usually win. If not I feel like I'm playing behind all game unless I get a great opening hand draw.
What deck are you playing?

Got to rank 15 with Tempo Mage and got reckd by a Patron Warrior, so I decided to build one myself since I had the cards and it's pretty cheap. I quite like it.

So far my win rate is only 50%, but I'm still learning it. Still tweaking the list too.

I've been running 2 Inner Rage, but I'm not sure I'll keep them. I've seen other lists that don't run them.

I've seen some run that card that for 2 mana stops your minions from losing health below 1 on your turn and cycles itself. Seems like an interesting addition and I just happen to have 1. I may sub it in.

I saw a few running belchers, but I'm not convinced. I'm only running one of the 3/3 pirate with taunt that's free with weapons. I think I'll up that to 2. I have 2 armorsmiths, maybe drop down to 1. Decision, decisions.

Edit: I'm not running the charge legend. I don't think it's needed and I don't have it to try out if it works.

3 packs and card back acquired. They weren't that bad either. Got a couple epics that I didn't have yet plus a golden Alarm-O-Bot (read: 100 dust). Used Genymotion and changed the build to the Galaxy S6 model number, as described on Reddit.

The stuff about the emulation? It's not illegal. It might be against some ToS somewhere, but I highly, highly doubt Blizz will be banning any one for this.

You sure?

Because I was a bit hesitant to do it because I thought there might be some trouble for those who exploit it. lol

I still haven't bought the expansions.

What are the chances they'll have a deal when the new one drops. Like a discount if you buy all 3 or something?

What are the chances they'll have a deal when the new one drops. Like a discount if you buy all 3 or something?

I'd say zero, even though it'd probably be a good idea so that the game can be a bit more accessible to newer players. They already have to buy two expansions, classic and GVG packs, and plus whatever is coming. Make it a bit easier, Blizzard.

Rapstah

Maybe wait until they unveil the next expansion in a couple of days? If they're putting stuff on sale I'd imagine they would say it there.

CoolOff

Midrange Hunter-counter that isn't another faster Hunter? Midrange is like 50% of my games at the moment, not sure what re-popularized it.

Edit: Oh, and not Patron.

So here is my artistic rendition of my card idea.
MO3NTDy.jpg

Hopefully this helps get the idea across. So you have a minion that doesn't 'physically' attack but throws out damage. I like the idea but it seems really strong. Maybe if it was 0/5 for 3 instead but still did two damage.

suaveric

Anyone ever have a Daily Quest just disappear? I had two quests, one Paladin and one Warlock and I started to play a few Warlock games. Now my Paladin quest is gone. Weird.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think my biggest problem at rank 10 is I'm like an auto loss if I face Grim.

I'm fine against everyone else to a degree. Patron Warrior is my block from hitting single digit rank with my Mage.

Tamanon

Banned

Hopefully this helps get the idea across. So you have a minion that doesn't 'physically' attack but throws out damage. I like the idea but it seems really strong. Maybe if it was 0/5 for 3 instead but still did two damage.

Isn't that basically what Demolisher does?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
But the problem isn't the lack of good 7s, the problem is that it would be undercosted even at 8 mana.

9/9 stats, spread on 3 bodies (which usually carries hefty penalties), and 2-8 random damage. I don't think it would disappear completely from decks even at 9 mana.

I'm all for more good (not insane) 7-drops.

7/7 is worth about 6.5 mana. Ignoring War Golem at 7 mana because it is underpowered anyway. Boom Bots would be strong 1 mana cards on their own. So that's 2 extra mana. 8.5 mana. Plus it is a "combination" card that is like two cards in one (think Sludge Belcher, Harvest Golem, etc). Ordinarily a combo card like that adds additional value (about half a point of mana) but we'll waive that as legendaries get to be slightly more OP than vanilla cards. So its true cost would be about 8 mana imo. It would still be quite strong at 8 mana but would be underpowered at 9 mana.

CoolOff

7/7 is worth about 6.5 mana. Ignoring War Golem at 7 mana because it is underpowered anyway. Boom Bots would be strong 1 mana cards on their own. So that's 2 extra mana. 8.5 mana. Plus it is a "combination" card that is like two cards in one (think Sludge Belcher, Harvest Golem, etc). Ordinarily a combo card like that adds additional value (about half a point of mana) but we'll waive that as legendaries get to be slightly more OP than vanilla cards. So its true cost would be about 8 mana imo. It would still be quite strong at 8 mana but would be underpowered at 9 mana.

Exactly, but some decks still would run it at 9 for the 3 bodies, Combo Druid for example. It just shows how incredibly broken the card is in its current state.

Xanathus

Welp, now we know how Trump has been getting his insane recent tourney winrates. He's been paired against rank 25 players like Cipher who use Reversing Switch on their Pagle instead of Trump's Flametongue Totem.

Kenaras

This could implemented as something like this: "Gains +2 ATK and Immune while attacking." (Assuming you don't want it to bypass Taunt.)

I guess I forgot about Demolisher. Wonder if it would be better if it wasn't random though. All other like cards are random too, which is fun I suppose. Guess it'd be too strong if if was controlled.

Kenaras

I guess I forgot about Demolisher. Wonder if it would be better if it wasn't random though. All other like cards are random too, which is fun I suppose. Guess it'd be too strong if if was controlled.

The main reason they're not controlled is to improve the flow of the game. They don't want to stop the game at the beginning/end of a turn while you choose targets for triggered abilities.

The main reason they're not controlled is to improve the flow of the game. They don't want to stop the game at the beginning/end of a turn while you choose targets for triggered abilities.
Yeah. I can see that. It's why I tried illustrate the ability going off when you used the minion to attack. It'd all function the same way but just be a different type of attack.

embalm

7/7 is worth about 6.5 mana.
This is a bit of a side discussion, but what would War Golem have to cost to see play?

7/7 for 6 mana. It's better than Boulderfist Ogre, but that doesn't see play at all. The stats still aren't worth what legendary 6 mana cards can do like Sylvanus & Thaurissan. I think Savannah Highmane & Fire Elemental are still better also.

7/7 for 5 mana. There are conditional cards close to this stat amount.
Bolvar can easily have higher stats if drawn at the right time, and often is played at 6/7 to dodge bgh, but he isn't used at all.
Druid of the Fang is 7/7 in a beast deck, but it's not strong enough to form a beast deck around.
Upgraded Repair both is 5/5+4 in stats but not played.
Vol'jin can gain more than 6 health, and it acts as damage to an enemy.

7/7 for 4 mana seems insane.

Edit:
What if Dr. Boom is actually the balanced card? It's everything else that is just too weak against low cost high damage minions. Maybe Dr. Booms stat line when combined together is what you should get for 7 mana. A 7 mana 9/9 battlecry gain 2 to 8 attack.

iirate

Edit:
What if Dr. Boom is actually the balanced card? It's everything else that is just too weak against low cost high damage minions. Maybe Dr. Booms stat line when combined together is what you should get for 7 mana. A 7 mana 9/9 battlecry gain 2 to 8 attack.

I really think this is more the case, and the real issue at that point in the curve is a lack of appropriately budgeted options.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Very few 6+ mana cards are playable without being able to do something extra. It's not a matter of stats, but how much tempo they can potentially lose you if they get removed.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, it's tempo more than anything else. If you play War Golem and it gets BGHed you lose so much in that trade, since that's such a cheap card to play relative to what you invested. I would never say what Boom does is alright for 7 mana, which really hit me back when I was trying to really get a dragon pally work and had discounted legendaries like Ysera for 7 in my hand and would still play boom over her. He managed to not do anything the turn he's played yet have a massive board impact that can't be ignored.

Worst I've seen is playing Muster for Battle with Pyromancer on board to wipe his own board, on a 12 win game.

I've seen someone do this when they also had a truesilver equipped that they didn't attack with, it was incredible to witness.

ZealousD

This is a bit of a side discussion, but what would War Golem have to cost to see play?

At 6 mana it is basically Boulderfist Ogre that can get countered by BGH. So not that.

5 mana would be insane. I think everybody would run two 7/7s at 5 mana. Aggro decks. Control decks. It is too big of a threat not to use hard removal on so control decks would use them to protect their other minions and aggro decks would use them like Sea Giants or Fel Reavers but without any setup. They would be like Venture Co Mercs but with one extra HP and no drawback. That's insane.

iirate

Well, that's not how balancing works if you want to prevent power creep.

oh wait

If the element of the game is largely underpowered to start(as expensive minions currently are), then power creep is warranted.

There are obviously situationally powerful large drops, and large minions that can be cheated into play, but Dr. Boom is much more similar to, say, Boulderfist Ogre than it is to Alexstrasza or even a giant. It's the generalist big beatdown minions that need help, but Dr. Boom proved that they could be constructed viable outside of fringe circumstances.

Also, we haven't had many metas since Boom was released, and the current one has more lists that don't run him than ever before. I think Blizzard's decision not to nerf Boom is the correct one, and it's one I hope they stick with.

Pooya

all of the cost one less for each minion that died this turn card that they they introduced with BRM seem to be unpopular. I'd think Dragon's Breath should have a place in a freeze deck but even that isn't being used. The mechanic seems to be DOA. Just do a frost nova+doomsayer turn, on your turn you have 4 damage for free, possibly 8. Combines with Malygos too really well, but I guess that's not good enough and a rare thing.

Then there is that big taunt for druid, surely it could be good after a aoe clear against an aggro, but no one is using that either.

Paladin's card draw one is really bad though when you have divine favor.

I think they might try something and make them more viable with new cards.

ZealousD

Mad Scientist is worse than Dr. Boom anyway. It is similarly about 1.5 mana too cheap, but it is a non-legendary, comes early, doesn't have a clear answer like BGH against Dr. Boom, and is pretty much mandatory in every hunter and mage deck and some lists don't use Boom.

iirate

Mad Scientist is worse than Dr. Boom anyway. It is similarly about 1.5 mana too cheap, but it is a non-legendary, comes early, doesn't have a clear answer like BGH against Dr. Boom, and is pretty much mandatory in every hunter and mage deck and some lists don't use Boom.

I agree completely, but I mostly play secret paladin when I play constructed because winning with bad paladin spells makes me happy. I will be be sad if Scientist ever gets re-balanced, even if it's the right move for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom