• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

With same logic for patron, mad scientist only affects hunter and mage, so it's fine!

If they bump it to 3 mana I can see hunters dropping it.

JesseZao

What if they changed mad scientist to have the secret he puts into play be visible to the opponent? He is mad afterall. It would let you hover over and see it like when somebody steals your secret with Kezan.

The only other non-stat changes I can think of would add more RNG. I don't even think changing the stats to a 1/1 would make it unplayable.

all of the cost one less for each minion that died this turn card that they they introduced with BRM seem to be unpopular. I'd think Dragon's Breath should have a place in a freeze deck but even that isn't being used. The mechanic seems to be DOA. Just do a frost nova+doomsayer turn, on your turn you have 4 damage for free, possibly 8. Combines with Malygos too really well, but I guess that's not good enough and a rare thing.

Some of those cards have potential. They're good cards to print, because they're open-ended and can work with a lot of effects. Particularly Solemn Vigil. Cost Reduction mechanics always have a chance to get out of hand so they played it a bit safe.

iirate

Some of those cards have potential. They're good cards to print, because they're open-ended and can work with a lot of effects. Particularly Solemn Vigil. Cost Reduction mechanics always have a chance to get out of hand so they played it a bit safe.

I agree that Vigil has a lot of potential, and I think Volcanic Drake will have its day too.

What if they changed mad scientist to have the secret he puts into play be visible to the opponent? He is mad afterall. It would let you hover over and see it like when somebody steals your secret with Kezan.

The only other non-stat changes I can think of would add more RNG. I don't even think changing the stats to a 1/1 would make it unplayable.

Well, Paladins don't run secrets, hunters only run explosive and freezing sometimes, and Mages mainly run Mirror Entity and maybe Counterspell, so I dunno if that would help a lot.

Pooya

I think all of those cards have great anti aggro potential which this game could use a lot, it's just that you need some cheap weak aoe too for it to work. Add some cards and this might work very well. 7/9 taunt for 2-3 mana, 4 damage for free, card draw for free. I'm trying to build something with unstable ghoul and swipe for druid and it's not very consistent. It's just that druid has better taunt options already.

JesseZao

Well, Paladins don't run secrets, hunters only run explosive and freezing sometimes, and Mages mainly run Mirror Entity and maybe Counterspell, so I dunno if that would help a lot.

It makes the mad sci player lose the "secret" element or pay more to keep it. Knowing the mage archtype you're up against early is certainly helpful and knowing which hunter variant is valuable as well.

Pooya

I would keep mad scientist the way it is, buff Kezan to 3 mana and 2/4. The game will be a lot more fun, dropping all those secrets should have more risks attached. You can have your mad scientist killed and your secret stolen on turn 3.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Even as a 3 mana card or a 2 mana 1/1 it would still be perfectly playable imo. But Face Hunters would drop it for sure. Not sure about mid-range. Mages might still run it. Freeze Mage would definitely still run it.

I would keep mad scientist the way it is, buff Kezan to 3 mana and 3/4. The game will be a lot more fun, dropping all those secrets should have more risks attached. You can have your mad scientist killed and your secret stolen on turn 3.

This is crazy talk. You can't put that much swing potential on a card that still passes the vanilla test. That would make it arguably stronger than BGH.

With same logic for patron, mad scientist only affects hunter and mage, so it's fine!

If they bump it to 3 mana I can see hunters dropping it.

I would like to see Blizzard scale everything up by a factor of 2 (10 mana to 20, 30 health to 60, etc) which would allow them more granularity to control how much mana certain cards cost as well as damage. Initially all card damages, health, and mana would scale by two to compensate, of course.

cHinzo

Got four 60g quests, one free pack and one 100g quest as my last 6 quests lol. Getting so much golds for packs. :D Also got the 4 packs from playing on a Samsung Galaxy S5 through that emulator. Haven't gotten anything awesome, but at least I got some more staple cards.

Pooya

ok. maybe swing would be too much, but they are not going to change mad scientist at this point, too late for that, instead they will add a card to deal with it at best. a 3 drop that destroys spells, not steal it, but that seem like a bad 3 drop people won't use, so to make it usable, make it destroy all secrets and all minions lose stealth with 2/4. It's still pretty rare effect to work in most matches, yeah it's a flare on a minion plus one mana , nobody uses flare, it's a terrible card.

Alternatively, they should add cards that really deal with deathrattles as suggested earlier, mad scientists included, there is no risk involved in playing deathrattles right now. Possibly could nerf dr boom too...

I still think Kezan needs a buff, it's the only way to deal with secrets (assuming no cards is announced), at most you can afford to tech just one, it comes too late to make much of a difference against hunters, you're already dead. Maybe a lucky mulligan, it does the work the best against mages as they are far slower. I think it's not fun at all that you can drop those secrets left and right for free with very very little risk attached, what are the chances of Kezan? very low, people should think twice before dropping cards like that, they don't have to now.

The other way is to nerf hunter secrets, explosive trap is non sense even without mad scientist. They are too good for 2 mana even if mad scientist is nerfed.

ZealousD

but they are not going to change mad scientist at this point, too late for that

No it isn't. Soulfire and Gadgetzan Auctioneer were nerfed long after their introduction. Mad Scientist can be nerfed just the same. There's no statute of limitations on this crap.

Pooya

the way to deal with secrets as in a consistent way, how long you can "smart play" against explosive trap? that you guessed it is, and you didn't go face, just standing there to keep yours alive to deal with minion and two damage to face, just to see it was a freezing trap instead. Sure bad hunter players telegraph their moves really obviously, I play a lot of secret decks, half of it is the bluff. Like pretending you have mirror entity or ice block, oh it works very well. Opponent wasting mana trying to guess what I have, that's all I need, to ruin their curve and board control with bad trades.

People like to dismiss paladin secrets as paladin has better cards to waste on them, but please smart play avenge for me consistently, they get value either way. and avenge is played in some aggro decks right now. muster for battle + avenge, you are definitely screwed next turn. "Smart play" requires superior board control which you can't really have for long against aggro decks and this discussion is all about that.

Pooya

since we all love mad scientist >_>

1437186669-7d1760b02.png

Dahbomb

Kezan is not the only way to deal with secrets. And how were secrets dealt with before kezan (and still)? Smart plays.
No, players had to actually use up a turn and mana to lay down secrets making the effort to play around them worthwhile. Secrets aren't that good when you have to play them from hand.

The current Midrange Hunter wouldn't be nearly as strong as it is if it weren't for Mad Scientist and neither would be Tempo Mage and Freeze Mage.

But Kezan Mystic doesn't need a buff, it's Mad Scientist that needs a nerf.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's just what it is I guess but my only problem with Kezan is it's a nice card to run in your deck, but I feel the value just isn't there if you aren't playing against a secret class.

The problem is you can't buff the card around that. You just have to hope if you run the card in your deck that you are seeing a ton of Hunter and Mage.

Kezan Mystic is a must have in every deck. The battlecry is that it makes face hunters concede, which is more than worth it.

Mad scientist as a 1/2 would make it a much better card. It couldn't double as early game and would be hard to trigger exactly when you want it.

ZealousD

I'm all in favor of control dominating the meta from now on. I could give two shits about the people who play those no-decision decks.

If control dominated the meta, you'd have to deal with shitty fatigue decks instead.

Dahbomb

I'd rather have long games than short mindless games.

Hope Blizzard adds more healing, taunts, AoE, etc.
You would rather have it but most of the player base would complain to no end because of:

1) Long ass "boring" games.

2) "Non interactive" Fatigue/Mill decks

3) Decks that require lots of dust to craft and many Legendaries (ie. Control Warrior)

You see this any time there's a Control Warrior mirror or a Handlock mirror. Some of the best matches in Hearthstone and when they go down to fatigue it's hype as fuck but your random ass stream monster loves to complain with stuff like "ResidentSleeper they just keep armoring up wow much skills".

Dreavus

It's just what it is I guess but my only problem with Kezan is it's a nice card to run in your deck, but I feel the value just isn't there if you aren't playing against a secret class.

The problem is you can't buff the card around that. You just have to hope if you run the card in your deck that you are seeing a ton of Hunter and Mage.

Yeah, that's also a problem for any of the hard counters so far in HS. Since ladder is a random best-of-one match, you don't know what you'll be against, and there's no chance to adjust your deck at all for future rounds against the same guy (which many other card games let you do). Hard counters are way more useful when you can shift them in as needed between rounds, instead of just hoping you run into whatever you're trying to counter. The ones that do get used are complete blowouts when they work properly AND are also passable when they don't work. Anything more specialized is not really included unless it's attempting to counter something that is absolutely dominating the meta-game.

I'm actually kind of surprised there hasn't been any tournaments that include a sideboard unofficially.

Pooya

I don't care about ladder, if people want to aggro there let them have it, it's just casual is face hunter and zoo back to back now too, I wish there was a mode when you were guaranteed decent good games against people that care to experiment.

There is the issue of card cost and that people play aggro because they are cheap, who doesn't like to play cool cards instead? That's the problem with how this game begins to new players, after you finish tutorial missions you're left with ladder and casual mode.

What they should have done instead was to lock ladder out to new players, until they level up enough or have certain collection size, until then you're just matched with people of similar skill/collection in a quick match mode, which casual mode right now absolutely is not that. Right now instead everyone is obsessed over climbing and want the fastest way to it, I think it could have been handled a lot better.

No, players had to actually use up a turn and mana to lay down secrets making the effort to play around them worthwhile. Secrets aren't that good when you have to play them from hand.

The current Midrange Hunter wouldn't be nearly as strong as it is if it weren't for Mad Scientist and neither would be Tempo Mage and Freeze Mage.

But Kezan Mystic doesn't need a buff, it's Mad Scientist that needs a nerf.

Much wrong. There was a long period of time where mad scientist existed but kezan did not. The answer to that was to play smart around secrets regardless of the source.

Hunter is actually the only class that played secrets before mad scientist (and freeze mage of course). That says something about how worthwhile secrets were in being included in decks.

I doubt we'll be seeing a mad scientist nerf. We barely have enough strong 2 drops as it is and mad scientist happens to be very niche, largely used in just 2 classes.

I don't care about ladder, if people want to aggro there let them have it, it's just casual is face hunter and zoo back to back now too, I wish there was a mode when you were guaranteed decent good games against people that care to experiment.

There is the issue of card cost and that people play aggro because they are cheap, who doesn't like to play cool cards instead? That's the problem with how this game begins to new players, after you finish tutorial missions you're left with ladder and casual mode.

What they should have done instead was to lock ladder out to new players, until they level up enough or have certain collection size, until then you're just matched with people of similar skill/collection in a quick match mode, which casual mode right now absolutely is not that. Right now instead everyone is obsessed over climbing and want the fastest way to it, I think it could have been handled a lot better.

The best mode will be a no gold/quest mode where you can see the hero and dust count of your opponent and issue a challenge. Would not only give you a chance to avoid all hunters, but would help people constructing and experimenting.

Played tavern brawl the first time for this new set.
Picked Hunter and faced against Paladin.
Opponent had 2 minions on his side.
Attacked his 1/1 with Reckless Rocketeer.
He played Concentration.
Goes for face with weapon.
Secret kicks in.
It's Misdirection.
He only has 9 health left.
Which instead attacks his Bolderfist Ogre with 10/3.

My face when he fell for it...

zoukka

Mad Scientist is worse than Dr. Boom anyway. It is similarly about 1.5 mana too cheap, but it is a non-legendary, comes early, doesn't have a clear answer like BGH against Dr. Boom, and is pretty much mandatory in every hunter and mage deck and some lists don't use Boom.

Yeah I would like a nerf to Scientist more than Boom really. Everyone can ride the boomtrain but only certain (annoying as fuck) decks play scientist.

Opiate

7/7 is worth about 6.5 mana. Ignoring War Golem at 7 mana because it is underpowered anyway. Boom Bots would be strong 1 mana cards on their own. So that's 2 extra mana. 8.5 mana. Plus it is a "combination" card that is like two cards in one (think Sludge Belcher, Harvest Golem, etc). Ordinarily a combo card like that adds additional value (about half a point of mana) but we'll waive that as legendaries get to be slightly more OP than vanilla cards. So its true cost would be about 8 mana imo. It would still be quite strong at 8 mana but would be underpowered at 9 mana.

Exactly, but some decks still would run it at 9 for the 3 bodies, Combo Druid for example. It just shows how incredibly broken the card is in its current state.

I was just in a position where I was playing as a Druid, and tinkering with my deck. Druids are really the only class that can possibly have too many good 7s (Ancient of Lore, Ancient of War, Doctor Boom), so I was considering changing Boom out for an 8 drop, such as KelThuzad, Ragnaros, or Sneed's. I would rather have Boom in most cases.

Tubie

Played tavern brawl the first time for this new set.
Picked Hunter and faced against Paladin.
Opponent had 2 minions on his side.
Attacked his 1/1 with Reckless Rocketeer.
He played Concentration.
Goes for face with weapon.
Secret kicks in.
It's Misdirection.
He only has 9 health left.
Which instead attacks his Bolderfist Ogre with 10/3.

My face when he fell for it...

I just love it when stuff like that happens in this game.

Last night I had a warrior that would've had lethal on his next turn if he had only armored up, but he miscalculated the cost of his cards and was left with just one mana. I think he realized this because he kept hovering over the armor up button lol.

Copenap

This is the worst brawl so far for sure. Incredibly stupid. Way too random maybe one out of 10 games is somewhat balanced, the rest is a pure shitshow.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just got the stupid Samsung Galaxy S6 cardback + 3 packs.

Stupid.

Dahbomb

Much wrong. There was a long period of time where mad scientist existed but kezan did not. The answer to that was to play smart around secrets regardless of the source.

Hunter is actually the only class that played secrets before mad scientist (and freeze mage of course). That says something about how worthwhile secrets were in being included in decks.

I doubt we'll be seeing a mad scientist nerf. We barely have enough strong 2 drops as it is and mad scientist happens to be very niche, largely used in just 2 classes.
It wasn't even that long, it was just the time between Naxx and GvG. And Mad Scientist was all over during that time because of synergy with Undertaker in Hunter decks so it's true strength was overshadowed by a more ridiculous card.

Obviously Mad Scientist only gets used in 2 classes because only two classes have decent secrets. If every class had 3 mana secrets then you would see Mad Scientist in every class. Mad Scientist exists in every competitive decks of Hunter and Mage because it's just that good.

Mad Scientist in a class with decent secrets is the best two drop in the game. It's power will grow with the strength of future secrets so if they introduce some insane secrets down the line for either classes then he will be even stronger.

Think about all the competitive decks used for Hunter/Mage class since Naxx and then tell me how many didn't use Mad Scientist.

Hunter: Face/Hybrid/Midrange/Deathrattle/Control decks all use Mad Scientist.

Mage: Freeze Mage/Tempo/Mech Mage/Grinder Mage all use Mad Scientist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom