• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't even that long, it was just the time between Naxx and GvG. And Mad Scientist was all over during that time because of synergy with Undertaker in Hunter decks so it's true strength was overshadowed by a more ridiculous card.

Obviously Mad Scientist only gets used in 2 classes because only two classes have decent secrets. If every class had 3 mana secrets then you would see Mad Scientist in every class. Mad Scientist exists in every competitive decks of Hunter and Mage because it's just that good.

Mad Scientist in a class with decent secrets is the best two drop in the game. It's power will grow with the strength of future secrets so if they introduce some insane secrets down the line for either classes then he will be even stronger.

Think about all the competitive decks used for Hunter/Mage class since Naxx and then tell me how many didn't use Mad Scientist.

Hunter: Face/Hybrid/Midrange/Deathrattle/Control decks all use Mad Scientist.

Mage: Freeze Mage/Tempo/Mech Mage/Grinder Mage all use Mad Scientist.

Probably a stupid question, but what's Grinder Mage?

Magnus

Have an arena Mage now at 1-0 with two Echoes, three Polys and a Ragnaros. First match went well. Lol

Not a single flamestrike, frostbolt, fireball or blizzard on offer, though. Sigh.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
What is it with Priests needing an hour to pick their opening hand and another further two hours for each turn?

Because whether or not you should keep a Turn 1 Northshire Cleric without PW:S against a non-aggro deck is a goddamn mystery.

Plus you always gotta wonder if the pyro + cleric combo is really worth all the cards you draw or if you should keep circle for auchenai. And sometimes you can always get surprise lethal out of a lightwarden, so you gotta do all that math.

Ultrabum

Change mad scientists text to anything other than a secret and it breaks every deck.
2 mana 2 2.
Mad scientist: death rattle draw a 3 cost minion from your deck, it costs 0 mana.

Death rattle: draw a random weapon and put it into play.

Death rattle: draw and play a random spell that spell costs 2 mana less.

Seriously the card is just worth more than 2 mana, it's hilarious it hasn't been nerfed.

Rapstah

While the new Trump Teachings series where he shows off specific decks is good in general and a great idea, Trump's getting way too lucky in the games he's showing off. Maybe he plays exactly two to three matches with each deck and he has just happened to draw an insane opening hand for every single deck once and won every single match, but he didn't even get to show off Fel Reaver in Mech Shaman. :(

I can't expect him to play too many matches with each deck either since the list at the end shows he's going to show 15 different ones.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why aren't people accepting my friend invites anymore? I just want to tell them how stupidly ridiculously lucky they are and what I'd gladly do to them had I met them in real life.

Mad Scientist in a class with decent secrets is the best two drop in the game. It's power will grow with the strength of future secrets so if they introduce some insane secrets down the line for either classes then he will be even stronger.

Adding secrets for other classes is not likely to happen regardless of mad scientist.

Plus the whole "limits design" argument only really matters if they end up wanting to go in that direction anyway. Adding secrets to other classes has such little chance of happening, and I think the fact that mad scientist exists is only further proof of that likelihood, it isn't like they add cards without thinking about the future at all and it is clear that mad scientist precludes certain things being added because they'd be broken.

If for some reason do choose to go in that direction and add new cards that conflict with old ones, they'll likely only then nerf mad scientist. But I think the chances of that happening are small.

ZealousD

While the new Trump Teachings series where he shows off specific decks is good in general and a great idea, Trump's getting way too lucky in the games he's showing off. Maybe he plays exactly two to three matches with each deck and he has just happened to draw an insane opening hand for every single deck once and won every single match, but he didn't even get to show off Fel Reaver in Mech Shaman. :(

I can't expect him to play too many matches with each deck either since the list at the end shows he's going to show 15 different ones.

You're assuming that if he loses a game that he would record it and include it.

Szadek

You're assuming that if he loses a game that he would record it and include it.
Well,he might if the game was interesting enough,but I get your point.
Why for example would be show a game where he lost,because his hand was trash?
There is nothing to learn from that,except that rng can be a bitch.

Loomba

Why aren't people accepting my friend invites anymore? I just want to tell them how stupidly ridiculously lucky they are and what I'd gladly do to them had I met them in real life.

No idea! You sound like a completely sane and rational person...
kappa

ZealousD

Is it just me or is combo druid a strong pick in the current meta? Face Hunter has dropped in popularity and you aren't punished near as much for playing cards against Patron Warrior. Even zoo has slowed down a bit so I don't think it's quite as scary?

ViviOggi

But Face Hunter is a good matchup for Comgo Druid...

It's still the most helpless class against Patron, playing against Zoo is just hoping they draw badly and Midrange Hunter can be a massive problem which even Kezan only helps so much. It's good against Freeze Mage and Control Warrior and the curvecheat+combo are such bs that with the right draws you can always sneak some wins but the deck is not nearly as strong right now as it used to be.

Pooya

Mid range hunters are more popular now but zoo definitely hasn't slowed down.

------

I hate void callers more than mad scientist, it's just so bad. The only demons you need are doomguard, imp gang boss and maybe Mal'Ganis, so it's guaranteed great value... RNG really does nothing here.

tylerf

Crafted some cards for Freeze Mage on a whim because there was so much dust burning a hole in my pocket. Good God am I terrible with it. It's absolutely insane how good players calculate what moves are safe and what will get you killed.

Ultrabum

Mid range hunters are more popular now but zoo definitely hasn't slowed down.

------

I hate void callers more than mad scientist, it's just so bad. The only demons you need are doomguard, imp gang boss and maybe Mal'Ganis, so it's guaranteed great value... RNG really does nothing here.

At least it doesn't draw a card like mad scientist.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Destiny just did his second arena run and got 12-0.

With the help of Hafu, but still impressive as fuck

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Heh running brawl in my grim patron deck has certainly payed off. I had a single grim patron vs a hunter with dr boom on the board and 2 other minions, i used brawl and my patron survived, one bomb went face while the other hit the patron for 2, fun times. I bet that dude was somewhat salty.

Pooya

I thought face hunter was less popular, 3 games back to back, I won all three but last one was close, I'm scared to play again now. It feels like a coin flip at times.

I'll include Sunfury Protector in every ladder deck I make now, it's just mandatory, works really well with water elementals. Won me all games, it's just when those golems come you want at least two taunts...last game I had a earth elemental from portal, that rekt his face, my draw was so bad otherwise.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I just played a Mage who played a Dr Boom from his hand and as soon as I got rid of that shit and the bombs he literally portals out another Boom.

FFs

Pooya

8 games back to back rank 9, everyone was face, I won all until the last one....

face effing warrior. didn't see that coming. I'm going to stop playing ladder for the time being, even when I win I get kinda frustrated and this last warrior hitting my face with arcanite reaper really did hurt, wasting my life here.

Szadek

8 games back to back rank 9, everyone was face, I won all until the last one....

face effing warrior. didn't see that coming. I'm going to stop playing ladder for the time being, even when I win I get kinda frustrated and this last warrior hitting my face with arcanite reaper really did hurt, wasting my life here.
Face warrior is a fine deck.Not as good as hunter,but it has the advantage that nobody mulligans against them.

Mulgrok

Thought I would give the brawl a try for daily... 3 matches in a row where my opponents had cards for every turn while the earliest I could play anything was turn 3. Needless to say I lost horribly every time.

Dre

Thought I would give the brawl a try for daily... 3 matches in a row where my opponents had cards for every turn while the earliest I could play anything was turn 3. Needless to say I lost horribly every time.

That's the main problem with this weeks brawl, since your whole deck is random you have very little control over the outcome of the game. You can't even mulligan properly, so in most games you either lose horribly or totally wreck your opponent. Very few games are actually balanced and fun to play.

It's just frustrating when you have to deal with Sylvanas, Boom, Kel'thuzad or even double Antonidas and you're stuck with fucking Majordomo and Rend Blackhand.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I'm up to 1170 gold. I figure at this rate I should be close to 2000 or more by time whatever new shit Blizzard announces this week actually drops.

First time I'm actually gonna go into new Hearth shit ahead of the game gold wise.

cHinzo

Had a game where I couldn't play anything until turn 4. Was down to 6 HP vs his 24 HP until I stabilized on turn 7. I played Foe Reaper, Kel Thuzad and Ysera after each other and had a 31 damage turn 10 with those 3 minions, the +5/+5 dream card from Ysera and Pyroblast for the comeback. Those kind of wins are the best. :d

Xanathus

Lost to some Tempo Mage abomination with Harrison, 2x Tazdingo, 2x Water Ele... someone really wants to win the Patron matchup

I'm seeing a ton of people teching for Patron/Warrior/Rogue, if I wasn't farming Warrior wins I'd just play Druid and wreck all of them.

Special C

I just had the most fun brawl game. I had a Tirion who ended up with 4 divine shields through HoP, Brewmaster, Coghammer. By the time he was finally dealt with I drew into another one. The rest of my deck was crap so it was actually a struggle to win.

Had pretty much the best brawl ever this morning. Shaman vs Shaman, it contained such plays as:

-Topdecking Hemet after one of my Spirit Wolves got Kodo'd.

-Opponent playing Ancestors Call which put his Sylvanas and my Leeroy on the board, then using Reincarnate on the Sylvanas which stole the Leeroy, which killed Hemet.

-Me playing Majordomo on turn 9, then facing a board with Sylvanas and Al'Akir on it, killed the Al'Akir with Majordomo, killed Sylvanas with Fire Ele on the board, Majordomo gets stolen, then me summoning Ragnaros with Deathwing. He has 8 health and no cards, and I have Deathwing and 15 health.

WIIIIIINN

CKT3ghiVEAAJJPy.png:large

The Tavern Brawl plays

Is it just me or is combo druid a strong pick in the current meta? Face Hunter has dropped in popularity and you aren't punished near as much for playing cards against Patron Warrior. Even zoo has slowed down a bit so I don't think it's quite as scary?

Combo Druid is trash these days.

Also every time a Mad Scientist is silenced a baby is hugged somewhere.

Pooya

those text less cards looks like the stuff we initially saw of BRM (same style, not the cards)

edit: how come those legendary cards are blue lol.

those text less cards looks like the stuff we initially saw of BRM (same style, not the cards)

edit: how come those legendary cards are blue lol.

Went back and looked at the other trailers and while they're all textless Warlock legendaries they do have the orange gems so, might be something the creator overlooked.

I find it hilarious that someone tried to make a card based off of Paladin's auras, especially Aura Mastery. Just seems so odd. It'd be more believable if they were just actual auras first.

Thinking about it now, those could actually be cool cards.

Retribution Aura - 2 Mana: Give your Minions +2 Attack for your opponent's next turn.

Concentration Aura - 2 Mana: Block/Remove silence effects for one turn.

Crusader's Aura - 2 Mana: Your opponent's next turn will only be 60 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom