• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

When Lifecoach gets desperate he disappears into the background of his camera. When Trump gets desperate, he gets closer to the camera.

Zemm

Ropecoach has been dreadful. Two massive mistakes in this game. I think he thinks too much and muddles himself up, it's the only way that explains these terrible plays and panics.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
People thought Neptulon was a bad card when it was first unveiled. An 9 mana 8/8 that draws 2 cards sounds pretty good to me. I think the card is going to be better than people give it credit for. I think there are actually very few "shit" spells in the game. Just suboptimal ones. Its not like getting wisp from unstable portal or something.

People thought Neptulon was a bad card when it was first unveiled. An 9 mana 8/8 that draws 2 cards sounds pretty good to me. I think the card is going to be better than people give it credit for. I think there are actually very few "shit" spells in the game. Just suboptimal ones. Its not like getting wisp from unstable portal or something.

It will depend on each match up really. Neptulon helps a lot vs control classes since it provides minions and board refilling/establishment. It is a really high value card that is somewhat reliable. But with nefarian the results are much higher variance and provide less long term value than neptulon due to being spells.

Once people do the "math" on what cards are "good" to steal from the "bad", the strength of nefarian will become more apparent. I can't imagine bliz just adds a simply bad high cost legendary though, like nefarian. Although they have added a lot of "just for fun" cards before.

Rapstah

Plenty of spells are like getting Wisp out of Unstable Portal if you have to wait until turn 10 to play them.

ZealousD

Plenty of spells are like getting Wisp out of Unstable Portal if you have to wait until turn 10 to play them.

Hell even Moonfire is better than wisp. Name me one spell that's worse than paying 2 mana for a 1/1.

ZealousD

Also, people are down on volcanic drake but its fantastic in a Dragon Paladin deck. I think it will be easier to get value out of then people think.

Danj

OK, managed to beat Maexxna with a Priest deck, on to the next wing!

EDIT: and I beat Loatheb in short order too. Guess it was only the first wing that was giving me trouble.

Rapstah

Hell even Moonfire is better than wisp. Name me one spell that's worse than paying 2 mana for a 1/1.

All weapon spells if you don't have a weapon, Feign Death if you don't have any Deathrattle minions, Shadowform if you want to use your Hero Power, Tree of Life if you're an aggro deck, Totemic Might if it's not a Shaman/Shaman mirror match, Sense Demons if you're not a Warlock, and Shadow Madness if your opponent never plays another low-cost minion (a strong possibility by turn 10).

Tacitus_

Totemic Might.

3O2eJrr.gif

Cat Party

I like these new cards. They each have some potential use and are worth trying out.

I don't see Drakonid Crusher as a strictly win more card. It's advantage is in decks that lack good finishers. It's okay as a 6/6 minion if needed, and it synergizes well with the "hold a dragon" cards, as there's incentive to hold it.

Volcanic Drake seems pretty rad. 4 health means it is just outside of range of most cheap removal spells, and it's a perfect follow up to lightning storm, consecration, blade flurry, or hellfire.

Nefarian will make for some hilarious RNG action. Too expensive for most decks, I'm sure, but will be fun to experiment with.

egruntz

shelaughz
Name me one spell that's worse than paying 2 mana for a 1/1.

Bestial Wrath can't be used in the majority of decks. Better to have a 1/1 than a dead card. Wild Growth at that stage of the game is worse. Paying 2 mana to draw a card when you should have had a free card to begin with. Totemic Might.

Plenty of bad options my man.

I personally can't wait to play Nefarian though. I think it'll be loads of fun. Definitely going straight into my Priest deck.

Holy crap the commentary in this kinguin tournament is bad. No wonder they are looking for new commentators. Lothar isn't bad though.

Also, people are down on volcanic drake but its fantastic in a Dragon Paladin deck. I think it will be easier to get value out of then people think.

I think maybe rogue as well. A control rogue dragon deck seems like it could be a thing. Rogue can board clear quite well, also stack the board with violet teacher tokens and get big value out of volcanic drake from that as well.

I guess the dream is a turn 5 dark iron stulker into a free volcanic drake. 4/3 + a 6/4 + board clear. Definitely not something for oil rogue but we've seen control rogue do fairly well in gvg.

ZealousD

Okay, I guess totemic might is a problem, as well as a few others. But not every card mentioned here is that bad. Some of these are serious stretches.

All weapon spells if you don't have a weapon,

Upgrade gives you a 1/3 axe. You can still combo tinker though, can't you? I guess Deadly Poison is a nightmare.

Shadowform if you want to use your Hero Power

Shadow form is the second best hero power in the game besides Jaraxxssus. There are some times where priest or warrior might be situationally better but shadowform is no joke if you have spare mana.

Tree of Life if you're an aggro deck

Nobody is putting Nefarian in an aggro deck.

Sense Demons if you're not a Warlock,

You get two worthless imps. I actually think there's an argument that that's still better than a single wisp, even if it costs a bit more.

and Shadow Madness if your opponent never plays another low-cost minion (a strong possibility by turn 10).

Sludge Belchers, Boom Bots, Bomb Lobber, Healbot... Shadow Madness is still good in the late game, people are playing low attack minions all the time.

Minsc

Gold Member

I need some more of that RNG, all my Mages get to play like turn 5 Tirion and that 6/2 Priest GvG legendary for a huge swing... not to mention I can't remember the last Paladin I faced that didn't get both Musters in less than the first half of the deck, along with a Knife Juggler, Shielded Minibot, Peacekeeper or two, True Silver, and quite a few removals. Meanwhile I see my Chows in like 1/5 games or something lol.

Paladins are really in a class of their own atm I feel. Definitely the best class for laddering by far. Wish I had the cards for a typical Paladin legendary deck... still missing Tirion and a few GvG essentials.

Dahbomb

The Nefarian DREAM is to use it against a Warlock who has Jaraxxus out and you get Sacrificial Pact which automatically wins you the game.

Actually that has a legitimate chance of actually happening! 2 chances of 1 out of 17 to straight up win the game!

I'm currently amusing myself by thinking about a fictional meta in which everyone "plays around" Nef by playing as the class they think has the worst spells, all while no one is actually running Nef because they don't think he's good enough value.

Dahbomb

I am sitting her imagining a situation where a Mage is up against Warlock and the only thing she has against a Warlock against a Jaraxxus who has lethal is a top dicked Unstable Portal. Unstable Portal is used and it drops a Nefarian. Nefarian is played and it pulls out a Sacrificial Pact...

The salt from this play would result in someone's monitor being tossed out the window...

ZealousD

I'm currently amusing myself by thinking about a fictional meta in which everyone "plays around" Nef by playing as the class they think has the worst spells, all while no one is actually running Nef because they don't think he's good enough value.

If it means less Jaraxxsus, I'm all for it. =P

Leezard

I am sitting her imagining a situation where a Mage is up against Warlock and the only thing she has against a Warlock against a Jaraxxus who has lethal is a top dicked Unstable Portal. Unstable Portal is used and it drops a Nefarian. Nefarian is played and it pulls out a Sacrificial Pact...

The salt from this play would result in someone's monitor being tossed out the window...

It would be even better if it happened to Reynad in a tournament.

ZealousD

And that someone...

...is Reynad.

Rapstah

I forgot Shield Slam if you're not a Warrior, but at least the game will let you play that card. Looking through the list of every spell currently in the game, these are the spells you would concievably not be able to play after Nefarian gives them to you if you're unlucky with the class combination:
  • Blade Flurry
  • Deadly Poison
  • Bestial Wrath
  • Feign Death (pretty sure this doesn't light up as green if you don't have any Deathrattle minions)
  • Savagery
These are comparable odds to, maybe better odds than, Thoughtsteal giving you an unplayable card since Deadly Poison and Blade Flurry are run in almost every Rogue deck.

Edit: I think Totemic Might is playable even if you don't have any totems, for whatever reason.

iirate

Has Blizzard said there won't be a cultivated list of spells Nefarian can draw? It wouldn't surprise me if they kept his potential cards playable.

rickyson1

I gotta say watching coop runs feels like a great way to learn arena

watched a couple runs on the adwcta youtube channel and the talking over moves etc just feels infinitely more helpful than watching one person

I have yet to beat this new generation of control priests with any class at rank 3-1. They always get exactly what they need from my cards. Deathlord is way too good for some reason because almost always the card you get is a synergy card.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Drakonid Crusher sounds like it would be great in a Warrior as a finisher. Him and Charge on Turn 9 for potentially 11 damage that leaves a huge body. Maybe a tad late, but having multiple combos to finish the opponent off is never a bad thing, and its not like you can't just play him turn 6 on an empty board.

Malice215

I can't wait to see Nefarian pull the turn 10 pyroblast or mind control. I don't see myself using this card seriously unless it was for lulz.

Volcanic Drake is going to be too situational to get decent value for it. I would use it in a Paladin deck though.

Drakonid Crusher will be good in arena, but in constructed it's a win more card. If my opponent is already down to 15 health, then I probably have a combo to win the game, or I'm already in decent shape to win the game to not need this card. At 6 mana, I would want more value from it when compared to other 6 mana cards. Plus I really don't need a 6 mana 9/9 unless Dr. Boom gets nerfed. I could see myself using this card in a Warrior deck.

Drakonid Crusher sounds like it would be great in a Warrior as a finisher. Him and Charge on Turn 9 for potentially 11 damage that leaves a huge body. Maybe a tad late, but having multiple combos to finish the opponent off is never a bad thing, and its not like you can't just play him turn 6 on an empty board.

Drakonid crusher in warrior? Eh, maybe... not likely a control archetype though. I don't see shieldmaiden being replaced by drakonid. So likely not in control but maybe a more midrange. Even then... shieldmaiden is really good.

You could probably fit it in the raging worgen deck somewhere.

It would likely just reduce the deck's consistency. That deck tries to cycle cards are much as possible and then get a near OTK turn. They simply don't go for face enough until the game is over so getting them to 15 to then make a less than 15 damage combo seems like it doesn't fit with the overall strategy of the deck.

twisting nether casters

sorry for bad englando

I usually don't hate on people for having accents or lacking great English skills... but as a caster on an English channel... I expect better. We should get better.

Zemm

I like Noxious, he doesn't take it seriously. The trump v ropecoach match would have been a lot worse without him ripping in to both players and their slow play (in a friendly ribbing way).

I like Noxious, he doesn't take it seriously. The trump v ropecoach match would have been a lot worse without him ripping in to both players and their slow play (in a friendly ribbing way).

That is almost literally all he is capable of doing. At least that is what I get from him every time he casts. I like it when casters know what they are talking about.

Brofist

Drakonid Crusher sounds like a follow up to playing Alexstrasza in control warrior. Paired with a charge and a weapon in hand it could be a good finisher. Although that's what Grommash does, so not sure needing 2 finishers is necessary.

ZealousD

Constructed for the April season is going to be a silly rollercoaster.

I think it's going to be less silly than Naxxramas, though. With all the Dragon synergy I don't think you'll see anybody start running Dragon decks until the thing is completely released.

Meanwhile, with Naxxramas, we had the Nerubian Egg and Haunted Creeper Zoo that didn't have to face Sludge Belcher. You guys remember that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom