• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi

Banned
Can't wait to playtest with all these dragons. I don't know how well they are going to play, but it's going to be a lot of fun watching the meta fluctuate a ton. I started playing after GvG was well entrenched so this will be my first time being able to watch the community figure out these new cards and optimize their decks. I know I'll be redoing all my decks with new cards and seeing what sticks. I'm most excited to retool my druid and warrior decks, looking at the announced cards. I'm still really hopeful that druid gets better class cards than were introduced in GvG and Naxx.

Nefarian

I was talking to my brother, who recently got back into the game, about nefarian and he thinks it costs 1 too much. Because compared to Dr. Boom he brings less stats to the board. It is hard to argue against that, lol.

If you go by dr. boom's metric since that brings 9/9 stats to the board for 7 mana. This brings less stats, less immediacy, and the battlecry, while good, is gonna depend on the chances of getting good cards vs bad cards for your deck from your opponent's class. It is also much more vulnerable to BGH. Sort of like a neutral neptulon/thoughtsteal/unstable portal mash up.

It is definitely a card I want to play, but not because it seems like it is too good to not play. I want to try this guy out in a rogue control deck with gallywix, and just hoard all the spells and play them below cost with prep.

What is the best spell for rogue to steal, in the entire game? A fireball maybe? Flamestrike? Some crazy board clear? Rockbiter for blade flurry (second thought rockbiter doesn't add to blade flurry damage)? Maybe I'll get a thoughtsteal so I can steal a second nefarian!

Rapstah

I wonder if there'll be any Deathrattle cards this expansion at all. They really seem to want to use their new "when this minion takes damage" effect instead, which is cool, except there are more cool Deathrattle synergies than there are cool ways to deal one damage to all your own minions. I guess that's the point.

Ashodin

The problem with BGH and Drakonid Crusher is that you then can't use the BGH for Dr. Boom (who will still see play IMO). So what are you going to do? Remove that 9/9 now and get rekt by the 9/9 worth of stats + battlecries or save it and get rekt the normal way.

Its a pretty great card to play in anything agressive as a finisher or a mid game tempo guy to force out that BGH before dropping your game ending legendaries (Rag, Boom, what have you). I love this card.

Polymorph ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wild pyro + equality, then play a 6/4 for like 2 mana... I can see that working. That is about 4-5 worth of stats on the card so I don't know if it'll really be the ideal dragon for a 6 mana slot though.

It sucks compared to other 6 drops, but the idea is to play it way before then. You can get a bunch of cheap tokens on board early (particularly with Paladin), and then trade them into the other player's board to get a 6/4 for cheap and maybe even play another card. It sucks if you look at it strictly as a 6 drop, but if you can regularly create situations to get it out for 2 or 3 mana and with another card in the same turn, it could be really good. Paladin would probably be the best bet for this with Muster and hero power.

gutshot

Volcanic Drake - Similar to Dragon's Breath only a body instead of a spell. As Kibler said when reviewing DB, cost reduction mechanics are traditionally some of the most powerful effects in a TCG, so I can see this dragon being a lot better than it initially appears. The 4-health keeps it from being totally OP, but I do think it will find a place in a deck or two built to take advantage of its condition.

Drakonid Crusher - Don't know where this guy will fit in exactly. 9/9 for 6 sounds super scary but how often will you get that on turn six? Maybe as face hunter, but this card is just too slow to fit into a face hunter deck. And if you are playing him later than that, you'd likely want to play a big body that offers more than just raw stats (Dr. Boom, Rag, Tirion, etc.) He is a dragon though, so maybe he finds a place in a dragon deck as a one-of just to fill out the dragon ranks. And he seems like he could be very strong in arena.

Nefarian - Unfortunate, but this one seems destined to be a gimmick card. Too much variance in the spells you could get (there are a lot of shitty ones) and at 9 mana you want something much more consistently powerful. Should make for some hilarious Trolden vids though.

ViviOggi

Nefarian

I was talking to my brother, who recently got back into the game, about nefarian and he thinks it costs 1 too much. Because compared to Dr. Boom he brings less stats to the board. It is hard to argue against that, lol.

If you go by dr. boom's metric since that brings 9/9 stats to the board for 7 mana. This brings less stats, less immediacy, and the battlecry, while good, is gonna depend on the chances of getting good cards vs bad cards for your deck from your opponent's class. It is also much more vulnerable to BGH. Sort of like a neutral neptulon/thoughtsteal/unstable portal mash up.

It is definitely a card I want to play, but not because it seems like it is too good to not play. I want to try this guy out in a rogue control deck with gallywix, and just hoard all the spells and play them below cost with prep.

What is the best spell for rogue to steal, in the entire game? A fireball maybe? Flamestrike? Some crazy board clear? Rockbiter for blade flurry (second thought rockbiter doesn't add to blade flurry damage)? Maybe I'll get a thoughtsteal so I can steal a second nefarian!

With Boom as a baseline Nefarian could easily be a 7-drop as well tbh

Drakonid Crusher

Now that my brain is awake, I don't think this is a really good card. Lets set aside the BGH issue atm.
I don't think BGH is an issue in general.
This is the definition of a win more card. You need your opponent below 15 hp. Now I guess this might have some extra "special"-ness against armor classes because armor won't bring your opponent out of drakonid crusher range. But basically this card is like sea giant in zoolock... mainly usable when your opponent is losing but... and this is the lynchypin on why it isn't good... it is also an opportunity for your opponent to make a comeback to get back into the game.

In summary, this card is a win more condition that gives your opponent a chance to make a comeback.

Granted, in the long run having 1 less hard removal or BGH could mean you win in the long term scenarios. Forcing them to have an answer can also just outright win you the game seeing as 9 damage on an opponent who is at 15 or less is certainly gonna win the game 9/10 times.

Is it terrible? Maybe not, I don't think I'm ready to really judge whether this card is terrible or not. It is a 6/6 for 6, so only slightly weaker than boulderfist ogre when not activated. It is also a dragon so it really only trades 1 stat for dragon status, which could be something useful in a dragon based deck for a 6 mana slot dragon (although we do have another now).

Gotchaye

Seems to me that the problem with these "cost (1) less for every minion that died this turn" cards is that the mana-efficiency they potentially offer is mostly valuable for faster decks, but those faster decks are also really worried about not being able to maximize mana use every turn.

Like, a control deck doesn't care that much that it can pull off a combo and get out a 3 mana 6/4 or can pay 2-3 mana for 4 damage after Doomsayer clears the board. Control decks would prefer to just pay the full 6 mana for a 6/4 with piloted sky golem's deathrattle.

Faster decks would really like to be able to get out a 3 mana 6/4, but they don't want to get stuck with a 6 mana card in their hand on turn 5. Lost Tallstrider is just much more reliable. And of course if three minions are dying then Flesheating Ghoul ends up a 5/3 who's always 3 mana (and can keep growing). In general I feel like Cult Master is a better card if you're banking on being able to trade in a bunch of your own minions, and it's hard to count on being able to kill a bunch of enemy minions relatively early in the game.

I think these cards would be a lot more interesting if they counted minions that died during your opponent's last turn, and more suited to the control-y style the dragons seem to be going for.

Drakonid Crusher is an insta-pick in Arena, though.

Volcanic Drake

I think this is a very interesting card. Card cost reduction mechanics play an important role in several decks already (innervate/prep being two major players).

At first glance it looks like a win-more card. It is a tempo based card for sure, because you want to be the one making trades (thus requiring you to have initiative - thus winning more than losing in most cases). However, as I wrote this post I came to conclude it can also be an amazing swing card, for when you clear board and need to grab board with a strong minion.

The typical turn 4 play is rather underwhelming. On an even trade, 1-1 trade with 2 minions dying, you can play this for 4 mana. You get a 6/4... only 1 stat higher than vanilla and probably the stat that least matters for that period of play.

You'll probably want to play this guy for 3 mana or less then, ideally at least. Because 10 stats for 3 mana is really good (normally 7 stats max).

But where it really shines is the board clear + development play (swing turn). I mentioned earlier in the thread that teamed up with wild pyro you could get a whole board clear plus a 4-5 stat minion on board for about 6 mana. I think that is great. This will definitely find its way into my control dragon paladin deck, at least to see if it works or not.

I think it also deserves special mentioning that this is a dragon you don't necessarily mind holding onto if you plan on getting him out on board for a really low cost. He isn't really a card you need to play on or before 6 mana, he is a card you play when you get that massive board clear but have few mana to play anything (except now you'll sometimes play a 6/4 which could be huge). Since you might hold onto this dragon, that enables him to buff your "hold a dragon" mechanic cards.

Zemm

Haha those boombots in the thijs game just then vs Grom was soo close, would have been the most outrageous bit of RNG if it happened.

just had the most skin of my teeth victory ever

lay on hands and 2 truesilver just BARELY keeping me away from being killed, then my rag takes out minions 2 turns in a row, and then the enemy rag misses both my face and my rag

whew

sibarraz

Banned
#JustPriestThings

2jNvzaK.png

Sorry for the blur I couldn't take the picture before that

He played malygos with 2 moonfires leaving me at 14 hp. I stole it with shrinkmeister help and played a holy nova plus the atack of everyone. Felt good men

Dahbomb

Nefarian is pretty good in a control vs control match when there aren't many minion on boards and the game is pretty even. Getting a card advantage over your opponent can be key to winning the game.

Most people have strong spells in their decks, you will only really get "bad" spells if you steal from a Rogue or a Warrior (weapon cards or shield based card like Shield Slam).

You can see it as a Thoughtsteal (3 mana card) with a 8/8 body. That means it's a 6 mana minion that comes with Thoughtsteal. In that sense a 8/8 body doesn't look that bad at all! The real problem is of course BGH!

So it's not a bad card just slow and doesn't fit in the current meta of aggression + BGHs.

Nefarian is pretty good in a control vs control match when there aren't many minion on boards and the game is pretty even. Getting a card advantage over your opponent can be key to winning the game.

Most people have strong spells in their decks, you will only really get "bad" spells if you steal from a Rogue or a Warrior (weapon cards or shield based card like Shield Slam).

You can see it as a Thoughtsteal (3 mana card) with a 8/8 body. That means it's a 6 mana minion that comes with Thoughtsteal. In that sense a 8/8 body doesn't look that bad at all! The real problem is of course BGH!

So it's not a bad card just slow and doesn't fit in the current meta of aggression + BGHs.

It doesn't steal from the opponent's deck though from my understanding. Seems like you have a chance to get any spell from that class. So you could end up with stuff that's never run as well, like Totemic Might or something.

gutshot

It doesn't pull from the opponents deck but rather the whole pool of spell cards for their class. So you may get shit like Sense Demons, Bestial Wrath, Arcane Explosion, Eye for an Eye, etc.

gutshot

Wonder what the most broken spell combos will be to come out of Nefarian?

Bloodlust + Savage Roar?

Prep + Pyroblast + Eviscerate?

Lavaburst + Lavaburst + Fireball?

Rapstah

Bloodlust + Savage Roar?

I feel like there are fewer combos like this than the chance of getting something that doesn't do anything at the stage of the game where Nefarian is played, or something that just kills Nefarian, looking at the list.

gutshot

I feel like there are fewer combos like this than the chance of getting something that doesn't do anything at the stage of the game where Nefarian is played, or something that just kills Nefarian, looking at the list.

Oh, for sure. But it's no fun to think of the duds that you'd get out of it!

Rapstah

How the hell does Kinguin need more casters? Do people cast for them once and quit forever? They've had like twenty different ones.

Bloodlust + Savage Roar?

Unless Blizzard introduces dual classes into Hearthstone, none of these are possible. You pull the spells from your opponent's class, so you can't mix and match powerful spells from different classes. Probably the best thing you could pull would be Force of Nature + Savage Roar or double Fireball, but you could just as easily pull Moonfire + Poison Seeds or Arcane Missles + Arcane Blast.

gutshot

Unless Blizzard introduces dual classes into Hearthstone, none of these are possible. You pull the spells from your opponent's class, so you can't mix and match powerful spells from different classes. Probably the best thing you could pull would be Force of Nature + Savage Roar or double Fireball, but you could just as easily pull Moonfire + Poison Seeds or Arcane Missles + Arcane Blast.

The class you are playing as plus the class you are playing against? The only class that could mix their spells with others before this was Priest. Now any combo is technically possible.

Getting both Dr.Balanced and Ragnaros in the same arena run made me feel dirty as fuck

though to be honest my 3 water elementals and 2 flamestrikes did most of the work

ViviOggi

I took a big break from hearthstone (lol like not even a week), so whats the meta like? Heavy face hunter/mech mage still?
Around rank 5 EU I've hardly seen any Mech Mages, there's beem a bunch of Tempo and Value Mages, Priests, some Face Hunters, Druids and Warriors. Handfuls of Handlock, Shaman and Midrange Hunter.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm at ranks 18 to 20 and 33% of matches are mech mages. Ugh. Be creative, you unimaginative jabronis.

Job's done.

The class you are playing as plus the class you are playing against? The only class that could mix their spells with others before this was Priest. Now any combo is technically possible.

Ah, I read the question as, "What are the most powerful combos Nefarian could draw." I see what you mean, now. Probably Prep + Force + Savage Roar + Prep + Sharpsword Oil + Blade Flurry if you want to go full ridiculous.

Haha holy shit.

I had a pretty good curve into KT in paladin (me) vs druid:

turn 6 I BK his sludge belcher kill off second half with shredder. Turn 7 I loatheb hero power, kill his keeper he used to kill the shredder.

Then he dr. booms, falling right into my trap. Without even thinking about it since it had been my plan all along to KT on turn 8, run both loatheb and BK into dr. boom, kill off a bot with my recruit, and hero power.

His response: "well played", concede (I imagine he WP'd cause I have him squelched).

Got absolutely rekt playing against a Druid with Randuin Wrynn.

Turn 1:
Mind Vision - get Ysera
He plays Innervate -> Alarm-O-Bot
Alarm O Bot gets DEATHWING

Turn 2:
Have nothing, play Shadowboxer, eat 12 to the face
He plays Alarm-O-Bot again
Gets KEL'THUZAD

Turn 3:
Thoughtsteal - get Onyxia and Dr. Balance
Plays Alarm-O-Bot, doesn't matter because 18 damage means I'm dead

I couldn't help but laugh. I've never been so throughly rekt. Well fucking played, whoever that Druid player was.

I made up for it the next game by getting three Tirions in my hand at one point (one each from my two Thoughsteals, then got another one from a Mind Vision). I can't wait to add Nefarian to this deck.

Zemm

Yeah it's ridiculous, could have had 3 face hunter matches by the time they got to turn 3 in that last game.

Ooh nice, two of my favourite steamers up next, Brian 'Brian Kibler' Kibler of Brian Kibler Gaming vs Sjow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom