• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a deck to help me rank up a bit before the end of the season. So far this is the best one I can find with the cards I have.

How can I improve it? I don't have any of:

Alexstrasza
Archmage Antonidas
Big Game Hunter
Ragnaros the Firelord
Sylvanas Windrunner

(among others)

uNGvyff.png

This is a Tempo Mage list I dug up on Hearthpwn a while back. Served me well enough, I've won way more than I lost with it (I don't make legend runs on ladder though). Can replace Sylvanas and Rag with some other high value cards like Water Ele or Flamestrike or something. Honestly don't see much wrong with the list you already posted. Just gotta play them greedy.

Rapstah

Trump has been good to great in tournaments on occasion but he's never been in that Strifecro/Lifecoach/whoever position where he's considered the best player in the world at any point. Probably because of his deck picks. Does he ever really strictly misplay?

Edit: They need to fix the Choose One bug yesterday.

Dahbomb

Trump went like 0-5 in that one set where he was using Paladin though.

He's been doing much better since then. But yeah I don't think he is among the tippity top tier players. He doesn't take the risk when he needs to.

Xanathus

Yeah Trump has been doing well in tourneys the past few months but I've come to the conclusion that the skill ceiling for Hearthstone is very low and the skill difference between the people who are commonly seen at tourneys is negligible and RNG/deck matchups is the actual major deciding factor in all games. There arezero games in any tourney after you've weeded out the scrubs where skill difference has actually decided a game.

Danj

This is a Tempo Mage list I dug up on Hearthpwn a while back. Served me well enough, I've won way more than I lost with it (I don't make legend runs on ladder though). Can replace Sylvanas and Rag with some other high value cards like Water Ele or Flamestrike or something. Honestly don't see much wrong with the list you already posted. Just gotta play them greedy.

That looks decent, thank you. I'll try that if this doesn't work out.

Zukuu

Banned
I don't even know why I play the fucking game anymore. I seriously LOATH it and there is not even anything left for me to do, got legend trice with my tempo lock, have my warlock golden since ages ago, have every card I could ever need for my warlock deck, yet I still play it for gold and stuff to be prepared for the next expansion / pve. Whenever I play the game, all I do is get my mood dampened, even when I win. The game is so much BS, pure RNG and requires little to no skill.

One of the biggest reasons is Freeze Mage, the most cancerous deck of all time. Seriously, whoever plays that is to me the biggest scrub on earth. Even face hunter takes more skill. At least that is over within minutes and you can tech against it, but you can do shit against Freeze Mage. Combo druid follows not far behind.

Dahbomb

One of the biggest reasons is Freeze Mage, the most cancerous deck of all time. Seriously, whoever plays that is to me the biggest scrub on earth. Even face hunter takes more skill. At least that is over within minutes and you can tech against it, but you can do shit against Freeze Mage. Combo druid follows not far behind.
Kezan Mystic and Loatheb are all you need to tech against it.

Oh and play Control Warrior for the 8-2 match up.

Opiate

Yeah Trump has been doing well in tourneys the past few months but I've come to the conclusion that the skill ceiling for Hearthstone is very low and the skill difference between the people who are commonly seen at tourneys is negligible and RNG/deck matchups is the actual major deciding factor in all games. There arezero games in any tourney after you've weeded out the scrubs where skill difference has actually decided a game.

I think there is a lot of truth to this, which is why I personally would advocate a long season based format for a game like Hearthstone rather than best of 3 tournaments.

Is Kolento a better player than Trump? Probably. But in a 3 game series, with this much RNG, that difference is very small. It's probably a noticeable difference if each played a regular season that consistent of hundreds of games, though.

Xanathus

Goddamnit these casters, Chakki just replaced Highmanes with Worgen Infiltrators and now they're calling it a "new" hunter, a "Chakki" hunter. It's just face hunter...

Raxus

Goddamnit these casters, Chakki just replaced Highmanes with Worgen Infiltrators and now they're calling it a "new" hunter, a "Chakki" hunter. It's just face hunter...

It was face hunter and it lost to rogue out of all the classes.

It also inexplicably ran freeze trap.

Tubie

Chakki puts Freeze/Snake Trap in Face Hunter and gets credit for creating an amazing new deck that all the pros are playing?

That's not really new at all is it? I've used Freezing and Snake traps on my Face deck before and I'm sure I've seen them a lot in other Face decks.

I've been doing well with my Tempo Mage. Last night I went from rank 15 to 13 and I'm 1 star away from 12.

I lost 2 games to Paladin though. I couldn't deal with all those 1/1 creatures and his weapon. Twice I was one turn away from lethal, but had to concentrate on his minions instead, but ended up losing anyways. If I could have just held them for 1 turn I would have won.

Therefore I'm really thinking about swapping Thaurissan with Flamestrike or Blizzard. For one people won't expect them since once they figure out I'm playing tempo mage they dump all their minions without worry and 2 I'm not getting much value out of Thaurissan usually.

If I have Antonidas it's kinda nice to play it for 6 and get some spells with spare parts next turn, but that's usually a win more move. I usually don't have that many cards in my hand by that point. If I'm fighting for board control and my life is low, it doesn't really help me. And I've noticed most of the games I lose it's because I lose the damage race. So far I've been doing pretty well against control, specially if they can't contend my board early. Maybe at my level people can't pilot them very well and I'll have more trouble later on, but for now I feel I need to stall for a few turns against aggro.

Any reason regular Tempo Mage decks don't run AoE removal? Deemed too expensive I assume. I'll see how it goes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
1-2 Flamestrikes can be used depending on which bracket you're in and how much you hate Patron/Zoo/Tempo.

Dahbomb

LMAO!!!

"Hybrid" Hunter

"Face" Hunter

"Midish Faceish" Hunter

"Facemid" Hunter

"Aggro" Hunter

"Tempo" Hunter

It all sounds like one giant scam.

Last six opponents:

Face Warrior
Face Warrior
Face Paladin
Face Warrior
Face Hunter
Face Paladin

I really hope the next adventure/expansion is actually gonna add some good early taunts that don't have bad drawbacks or requirements.

R.I.P Fartsenboys

Dear lord that player portrait for Kolento.

Last six opponents:

Face Warrior
Face Warrior
Face Paladin
Face Warrior
Face Hunter
Face Paladin

Patron Warrior is not a face deck (it's a combo/OTK deck), and I have a hard time believing you truly went up against three face warriors in six games. I have not played against a single face warrior in months

Patron Warrior is not a face deck (it's a combo/OTK deck), and I have a hard time believing you truly went up against three face warriors in six games. I have not played against a single face warrior in months

I run a variation of it for my warrior bounties, im special like that i actually run it with cap Greenskin.

Tacitus_

I actually lost to a face warrior today because he had all chargers in his hand and then topdecked a death's bite while I didn't draw any of my taunts.
Worgen -> Abusive + Leper-> Wolfrider -> Kor'Kron -> Death's Bite hurts even though his minions only got that one attack off.

centracore

My predictions for the event tomorrow: new card expansion announced (a la GvG) and that it will be released within the next week or two. The card back for July 2015 hasn't been patched into the game yet, nor has the patch containing it been data mined - usually by this time of the month one (if not, both) of those two things would have happened already.

Blizzard does have the ability to patch files into the game at launch, but as far as I know have never used it for anything outside of testing.

Rapstah

I actually lost to a face warrior today because he had all chargers in his hand and then topdecked a death's bite while I didn't draw any of my taunts.
Worgen -> Abusive + Leper-> Wolfrider -> Kor'Kron -> Death's Bite hurts even though his minions only got that one attack off.

This isn't Face Warrior, you can tell by the Worgen it's actually Chakki Warrior. No wonder people are getting confused.

Minsc

Gold Member
I really hope the next adventure/expansion is actually gonna add some good early taunts that don't have bad drawbacks or requirements

2 mana, 1/4 taunt, cannot attack, reduce all damage received from minions to 0.

Basically you need to flood the 1, 2, and 3 mana spots with minions that are great and anti-aggro, but wouldn't be used in actual aggro / face decks. Similarly strong minions for 1, and 3 drops, and you'd see a bit more variety I think.

1 mana, 1/1, all damage dealt to your hero from minions during your opponent's next turn is reduced to 0.

Dahbomb

2 mana, 1/4 taunt, cannot attack, reduce all damage received from minions to 0.
This card would pretty much kill aggro out right.

Like you would play this card against Zoolock and if they don't have Silence or Implosion it's pretty much a done game. It's like a reverse Undertaker.

Minsc

Gold Member
This card would pretty much kill aggro out right.

Owl I suppose, or 4 damage from a spell? Maybe making it 1/3 would be more fair, but I think 1/2 is too weak to mage's hero power.

I just feel the actual 1,2 and 3 drops used by aggro decks have become so strong now, to escalate it further will only make things even worse. Does Hunter really need something faster than what it has now?

Dahbomb

Owl I suppose, or 4 damage from a spell? Maybe making it 1/3 would be more fair, but I think 1/2 is too weak to mage's hero power.

I just feel the actual 1,2 and 3 drops used by aggro decks have become so strong now, to escalate it further will only make things even worse. Does Hunter really need something faster than what it has now?
I think just having a taunt that can't get silenced would be a nice thing to see in the game.

Like if there was a 2/4 3 drop Taunt that can't be silenced, that would curb a lot of aggression.

The down side of this card is of course it would get destroyed by Grim Patron but that's a separate issue entirely.

The other thing that is needed are more efficient removals early on. It's pretty bad that even Fiery War Axe is barely cutting it anymore when stuff like Haunted Creepers and Shredders are so common everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom